5.0 out of 5 stars Need a travel router?
Look no further. Wow, is this thing tiny about the size of a travel mouse. Easy setup, switching power supply, place to plug in an ethernet cable, Plugged it in to power it up. Powered up my Nexus 7, checked wifi, and there it was. Toughest part was reading the password on the device. Security by itty-bitty printing. Well, secure against us old folks anyway. Couldn't...
Published 23 months ago by Grillguy

The manufacturer commented on the review below
2.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Router That Can (For a While)
EDIT: This router stopped working after about a month. My neighbor bought the same model and had a similar issue.

---

This is a good wireless router for a budget if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty. Setting up a custom SSID and password isn't as simple as it could be, but the instructions that come in the box do a decent job of...
Published 19 months ago by Kai Wells

‹ Previous | 1 2 369 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good wireless print server, June 3, 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, 150Mpbs, USB Powered (Personal Computers)
Bought this thing because my laser printer had no built in wireless but an Ethernet port. Connection is seamless, power it up, follow the instructions, set an IP and connect it to the printer.

The PCs had absolutely no trouble detecting it. I'm really happy with how it works.

2.0 out of 5 stars unstable, March 31, 2014
Linh Tran (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
It keeps disconnecting when I use it as a repeater or a bridge. I had to returned it a day after.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not functional as a repeater/bridge, January 25, 2014
Two stars because I assume the functions I didn't need (AP, etc.) work as advertised.

However, this is advertised as a multi-function router, with bridge and repeater capabilities, which is what I needed it for (filling wifi dead spots in the house) Actually setting it up as a bridge or repeater takes quite a bit of work, and when set up properly according to instructions and technical support, it still doesn't connect. Technical support team *tried* to be helpful, but we were having a very difficult time understanding one another, so I eventually just gave up and decided to return.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusably bad equipment -- internals don't do justice to the design, November 16, 2013
Great physical design. But internals don't do justice.

1. AP mode never worked for me. It doesn't transfer DHCP packets properly hence laptop never gets back IP address.
2. Router mode is bit better than AP mode. Unfortunately, the transfer is quite erratic and packets keep dropping for extended period of time. It's unusable in wireless 11 bgn mode (I kept dropping ssh sessions and kept having ping timeouts to my modem which indicates it's the equipments problem). I am barely being ably to hold on to connection if I disable n mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, quick, painless, July 24, 2013
I got my router today and I will be ordering a couple more. Plugged it into my router and had my wireless devices connected in a heartbeat (although my eyes are not quite what they used to be so a magnifying glass was needed to read the default password).

If you want to get into the device. By default, the device, in AP mode, does not have DHCP enabled, but in the directions, it tells you to set your IP address. Most people have no idea how to do this, but the document is clearly written and directs you how to do it (at least for Windows users. If you are a Linux or Mac user, I expect you know how to to this, so all you need to know is the default IP address of the box - also in the documentation).

I have to admit I am impressed with the documentation - it is some of the best written I have ever encountered after 20 years in the business. Very thorough and I did not have any problems getting things configured. You do have to know the difference between AP mode, router mode, bridge mode and repeater mode, but this is clearly illustrated.

A great little device for mission specific purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, but inconsistent from one production batch to another, October 6, 2012
AN UPDATE: I put a question mark on the feature I liked the most in my original review. I liked this router so much that I bought another one, exactly the same model except with a different color. Strangely, the second one is different, in a bad way. As I described in the original review (below), one of the most helpful things is that this little router defaults to a security mode with a default password printed on the label. Not so with the second one! With the second one I just bought, it defaults to a non-security mode, and there's no password printed on the label at all! This is exactly what I criticized of the other routers in the market. I don't know what's going on with this company or product. If it's the first one, I would still give it five stars. But for the second one, I can only rate it three stars. That feature makes a huge difference for most casual users who don't want to do any setup at all. To me personally it's OK because I would go ahead and customize the settings of the router anyway. But from a general product design point of view, there is a huge difference.

THE ORIGINAL REVIEW:

This little thing works, and is designed properly. For normal use, absolutely no configuration is required. Unlike most other routers which default to "no security" or "open" mode, this one defaults to a secured wireless connection, and intelligently sets the default password as a unique password printed on the hardware label.

This is extremely important for "no setup" use. The common default "open" mode used by many other routers is not secure enough for even casual use. Some routers default to a secure mode with an arbitrary password. That is not a good solution either, because the arbitrary password is either too simple to be secure, or too difficult to remember (face it, we don't even remember passwords deliberately created by ourselves, how can we remember arbitrary passwords created by manufacturers!), and at the end you still need to do some setup to fix that.

This router defaults to a secure mode with the unique password printed on the hardware label. This is a very intelligent design because it is good enough for normal use, especially travel, without any setup. With this "no setup" default mode, only if somebody has physical access to the device would have a reasonable chance to access the network. Based on my experience, I just don't worry about that kind of intrusion when I travel. As long as you have possession to the router itself, you don't need to remember the password. It is printed there.

Of course, if you want to enhance the security level, you would need to use the more advanced configuration mode. Like most other routers, the difficulty of the router configuration is *not* that it is difficult to do the configuration itself, but it is difficult to gain IP access to the router before the router has been set up. There's some kind of a chicken and egg prolem here. If the router has been set up already, it is very easy to access it to make configurations. But you need to access it first in order to set it up.

Most routers are *not* accessible by simply connecting the router to your computer using an ethernet cable and typing in the manufacturer's default IP address. Instead, you have to either run the software program, or manually change the network and DNS settings on your computer such that the router's default IP matches the defalt gateway IP, and is also within your computer's subnet mask IP range.

I don't know why it is so difficult to design a router that can communicate with a computer automatically before it is configured. But the reality is that most routers, including this one, cannot do that. You have to follow the instructions to do it manually or use a special software program. Not difficult for geeks, and thankfully it is a one-time exercise. But most ordinary consumers have no idea how to do that manually, and they usually need to run a special software that comes with the router to do any configuration. The most router frusration occurs in this process. It shouldn't be that difficult if the router is directly accessible, but it is.

The fact that you can comfortably use this router without any configuration at all makes this little box so user friendly. (But, see the UPDATE in the beginning of this review.)

And the thing is small. In fact, when you pack the thing, it's the other accessories (USB cable, network cable, and USB adapter) that are the bulky part. The router itself takes almost no space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small easy to carry and easy to use, June 21, 2013
The device was a great help on my travels through Japan where hotels and other public locations do not offer WiFi. RJ-45 cable connections are available in hotel rooms. I used my TP-LINK device to connect my portable devices to the Internet. It will always be in my travel bag from now on.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Once you get it to work, it performs as it's suppose too, January 15, 2013
I purchased this as a gift after reading the reviews on it. This is going to be connected to a Samsung Blu-ray player and setup in Client Mode. I was asked to setup the unit and after spending 4 hours of trying to setup the unit in Client Mode I fired off an email to customer support and they told me all I had to do was reset the unit and it would work.

So after resetting the unit for the (4th) fourth time it finally connected to my wireless network using WPA and I was able to connect to the internet.

I know some of you may be wondering why it took 4 hours to troubleshoot and get the unit to connect in Client Mode so I will list some of the steps I took so hopefully somewhere down the road I'll save someone some time should they decide to use this unit in Client mode.

After un-boxing the unit and connecting it my laptop running Windows 8 I turned off my wireless and configured my local area connection per the instructions from the cd rom and website. (IP: 192.168.0.15 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

I logged into the unit via I.E. I started with the quick setup. I chose the Client Mode option and I clicked save next I clicked on Survey and chose my SSID. Then I chose the wireless security and input my security key. Next I rebooted the unit and waited for it to come up. When the unit did come up it showed no internet connection. So I ran the diagnostics from the System Tools link and I could not ping anything outside ([...] [...] etc..) nor could I ping the unit itself.

Next I did a factory reset of the unit and it rebooted. I ran thought the above steps to setup Client Mode and received the same results.

I reset the unit via the pin hole reset button and this time I tried a manual setup of the unit. I clicked on Working Mode and chose Client Mode. I clicked Save and was brought to the next screen where it asked me do a survey and choose my SSID which I did and entered my security type and key. I clicked on save and rebooted only to have the same results.

At this point I turned the wireless back on my laptop and did some Google searches to see if I could find more info on setting this unit up in Client Mode. My searches did not turn up any answers so I went to the support forum on the TP-Link website and I discovered a new firmware ver. for the unit. I downloaded and upgraded the firmware on the unit and then proceeded through the same steps above with the same results of not being able to connect to the internet.

Other steps that I tried were to add the Network address of the wireless network to the units Network settings this had no effect. So on the 3rd reset of the unit I decide I had spent way too much time trying to get this unit connected in Client Mode so I filled out a Customer Support form on the TP-Link website and I received an email response suggesting I reset the unit and it worked.

So that's my story.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 3, 2013 4:55:17 PM PDT
Hello Keith,

We appreciate you taking the time to try and review our Router. It's good to see that you have finally got the device to work, and we apologize for any inconvenience that this product may have caused you.

If you can get into the Router, then you can set up the Client Mode with the 'Quick Setup'. This takes you to a two page setup wizard that sets up the TP-Link as a Client and connects to the target Gateway. You would get into the Router config page like any other Router - by typing the ip address of the Router into the address bar.

Here is a pdf of setting this device up as a Client. This is the Quick Install Guide and should come as documentation with the device:

Here is more documentation that shows step-by-step on setting up this particular mode:

If you have any issues then feel free to contact our Technical Support Hotline, this may be quicker than an email. You may also email me directly at howard.he@tp-link.com for any assistance.

Best Regards!

TP-LINK Support Team
support@tp-link.com
(866) 225-8139

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasted a lot of time and Does not Work, May 27, 2014
I wanted to use this as a bridge the instructions seems simple enough but their web page to register the router did not work. When I called the costumer service number the lady on the other end had such a thick accent I could not understand her English. By the time I had given up and wanted to return it the 30 day return policy had expired. Wasted a lot of my time and still does not work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier to set up if you ignore the instructions, September 24, 2013
Amazon Customer (Walnut Creek, CA) - See all my reviews
There was an instruction manual in the box, but it was in Spanish. No problemo...the English version was readily downloadable from their website (and is probably also on the mini CD included in the box...I haven't looked yet). The Quick Installation Guide is poorly written, so you may find it frustrating if you're the type who prefers to follow instructions. It fails to mention that the default IP address is 192.168.0.254, so most people would need to change their PC's IP address. Those with good eyesight and/or a magnifying glass might notice the default IP, username, and password printed in tiny lettering on the unit and would quickly figure out the IP address issue. The QIG also fails to mention that the hexadecimal PSK is case-sensitive. Come on, it's hexadecimal. Do I really need to type a capital 15 and a capital 11??? To be fair, the similarly poorly written User Guide does mention these important details.

Aside from the manuals, everything worked flawlessly. I needed to use this router in AP mode, and its initial performance has been very good. It was able to communicate through a grounded steel enclosure and a concrete wall faced with sheetrock and 3/4" plywood on one side and 1/4" polycarbonate plastic with layer live plants on the other side, all with a very strong signal...impressive for such a tiny router.

‹ Previous | 1 2 369 | Next ›