Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 450Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, 2 USB Ports, IPv6, Guest Network
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 2, 2015
Model: AC1750 16x4 Cable Modem Router|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As you can see by the title, I literally tried 6 modems and router combos before finally finding one that worked for me. I bought most of them out of pocket and returned them as they each failed me, one by one. Actually, I even tried a couple of them twice. I was picking models off Timer Warner’s list, then was given a couple of TP-Links through vine that just came out. This TP-LINK AC1750 offered me the best performance by a mile, and was the only one to exceed Time Warner’s Ultimate 200 Speeds. Zoom got second place, but that’s not saying much.

The modems listed below were paired with a Linksys AC1200 Router, and I read somewhere that some users saw their speeds cut in half when incorporating a router into the mix. So I tried direct connections to my computer with all of the modems, but there was no difference in performance at all, just the same crappy speeds that degraded over time. All of my cabling is cat 6 and all my devices are capable of over 200mbs, so I know my equipment is good and the issue had always been each modem, for one reason or another. I really don’t have time to diagnose the minutia of why each model failed. I was looking for one that worked out of the box and I don’t think that’s too much to ask out of a $100+ product. It either works or it doesn’t was my benchmark. Speeds were measured with both speedtest net and Time Warner’s speed tool. Here’s the basics of how each one performed for me:

> SMC Networks D3CM1604 – was the first one I tried because I liked the price and that it was rated for 300mbs, so I had room to grow if I ever wanted to upgrade. The modem worked great, sort of, for the first couple days, but never came close to getting me the 200mbs upload my Time Warner plan provided. I got 75mbs download for about 3 days, then it degraded pretty fast and consistently gave me 35mbs or less. Upload speeds remained solid at 25mbs upload throughout my testing. At one point, I had the opportunity to test this modem a second time and it performed exactly the same as the first.

> ARRIS SB6183 – was next. It cost more than SMC but had a lot of positive reviews, so I figured I’m flow with the current. Wrong. It was actually no better than the SMC. I got 35mbs download and 10mbs upload while still subscribed to Time Warner’s Ultimate 200. Not good.

> NETGEAR AC1750 - was tried twice because I bought one new and got a used one by mistake. I tested it anyway and it just went into an endless boot loop. I figured it was defective and returned it for the new one I ordered, only the new one entered the same endless boot loop, so I was never actually able to activate either of them. Junk.

> Zoom 5354 – the second best one I tried. It got me 120mbs download and 10.1mbs upload, while still subscribed to Ultimate 200. At wits end, I decided to downgrade to Ultimate 100, and the speeds remained the same, so I figured this was the fastest possible speeds with my setup, for whatever reason. On one hand, I’m happy to at least be breaking 100mbs, but the WiFi really sucked on this Zoom modem, there’s no 5ghz, and it only has 8x4 channels. Sooo… I break out the ol’ Linksys AC1200 Router again, put it in bridge mode and use it as a WiFi extender while turning off the Zoom’s antenna. This gives me about 65-75mbs download via WiFi and about 7-8mbs upload; better than any other modem I tried so far as WiFi. At this point, I’m really not satisfied but clearly Zoom is my best bet and I figure I’m stuck with it weather I like it or not. So I force myself to make do with outdated tech, purchased at a premium, which is a scenario that always irks me.

> TP-LINK TC-7610 – Amazon Vine offers me this modem and I am foolish enough to think it might be worth reopening this can of worms and giving it all another shot. The Time Warner tech people have activated and deactivated so many modems for me by now, that I actually got to know one by name, which is good, because we waste an hour just trying to boot this dumb, crap modem up and it never once worked. *sigh* Literally tossed it in the trash.

And finally, the hands down winner and champion…

> TP-LINK AC1750 – this modem, purchased here on this page, in case you’re lost at this point with all the different models, is a dream. Literally just plugged it in, hooked up all my cables and called Time Warner…. again!! I’m holding my breath as my 6th modem is activated, and then do a speed test with the tech on the line. I’m subscribed to Ultimate 100, and instantly get 119mbs download and 9mbs upload!!! So I ask if they would upgrade me to Ultimate 200 and let me do a speed test. They agree, naturally. I get the upgrade, do the test, and - bam! – 239mbs download, 24.55 upload – my best speeds ever. And I never changed anything with my setup, just plugged in this TP-LINK AC1750 and instantly had top speeds. You know, just like a quality product should perform.

The modem’s interface is a dream compared to Zoom, which is crude and rudimentary, to be kind. The menus are pleasing to the eye, responsive and make sense at first glance without a manual. I made all my tweaks and got everything running exactly how I want, all within 15 minutes after getting the modem activated with Time Warner. I have tested the speeds over and over again, probably because I can’t believe my eyes, but my speeds are rock solid, hovering around 240 down and 25 up.

Oh, and just for good measure, at one point through all this, I had Time Warner come out to the house and check everything. It was all a-ok, and they even hooked up one of their rental modems, and it did get speeds comparable to this TP-LINK AC1750, but it’s big and ugly and looks really terrible. This TP-LINK AC1750, however, looks really cool and modern.

The WiFi is excellent and I’m even using it with a wireless security cam that’s 40 feet away and inside a garage with thick stucco walls, and a thick garage door. So excellent WiFi range and strength IMO! Incidentally, my other wireless devices are now getting around 230mbs download and 26 up.

Bottom Line – I did a lot of testing with these 6 modems – 7 counting Time Warner’s rental - and called Time Warner tech support once too often, yet they always remained kind and patient. Through all that, I finally found my best modem here and am happy I remained persistent, and glad to be offered this through Vine. I feel totally confident that this modem could handle Ultimate 300 speeds, which I’ll likely get next year. So, hands down, the single best modem I tried, by far, and I love that it’s a combination router too. This is everything I wanted, and it only took me 2 months to find it!
55 comments| 246 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2016
I have nothing but praise for this piece of equipment. My 2012 Motorola was unable to connect with my new WiFi printer, smart dvd player nor Amazon Fire stick though it had never been a problem prior to 2015. Because I am 73 yrs old and not a techie, I decided to do my research and settled on this product. All three computers plus the tablet together with the Amazon Fire Stick, new Canon WiFi Printer and the smart dvd player l connected without issue. I live in a 2,900 square foot home and the TP-Link Archer CR700 handles it all without pause. The installation was easy but the activation was an issue as my provider is Comcast who did not allow the 'push-the-button activation. The website directed me to call the activation 800 number which resulted in about a 40 minute process just to activate. Once completed, it was all worth it as the results were more than anticipated.
on January 11, 2016
UPDATE for Xfinity/Comcast customers: After about a month, I too experienced intermittent disconnects that became more and more frequent. Also connection speeds were sluggish. I called Comcast Customer Service. I told them that I had self-registered the modem online, and I described the issues I was having. The agent explained to me that even if you self-register, you must also call to provide the following information: Model number, serial number, and MAC address. Once the agent entered those values into the Comcast system, problems almost immediately cleared up. This was several weeks ago, and I have had no issues since then. Speeds are great and the connection has not dropped once. The key point is that even if you self-register, you still need to call customer service and provide the three pieces of information I noted above. It is still an excellent modem/router for me, and I still highly recommend it.

I have had CR700 for about a week. Setup was extremely easy. I had it set up and activated online with Xfinity within 20 minutes. (Full disclosure, I am a retired CIO with extensive tech knowledge and ability). Both wireless bands perform excellently. I have not experienced any disconnects in either band and throughput is outstanding. When you consider the financial side of it, it beats paying a rental fee each month forever. I think the CR700 is an excellent product at a very good price. I have no cons to report. I highly recommend the CR700.
on May 13, 2016
Simply an awesome modem and router combo that does what you want it to do. Good packaging upon arrival, open it up, connect coaxial cable, plug it in, power it up. Sign into 192.168.1.1 with admin/admin and configure through easy to understand set-up panels. Log out and enjoy whole house coverage. We are getting very strong signals throughout the home which is a 2 story 3,000 sq ft structure (no basement).
on November 22, 2015
This product works great. Super fast and I use it for my TWC service in Manhattan. Works perfect with the 200mb download package they offer. I use it for my xbox live, movies, netflix and chill. No negatives to mention.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 2, 2015
As of the time of my review, this modem is one of only 12 modems that are certified to handle Comcast's fastest, non-Gigabit speeds with the Extreme 250 package (250Mbps down). I am using mine with Blast 150Mbps and I'm getting the full speeds with this modem.

Check what you're paying Comcast (or your other provider) for their modem. Chances are that buying this modem will pay for itself in two years or less and then after that, you're no longer paying for a modem. And since this modem is 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 with AC1750 dual-band Wi-Fi, you're future-proofing yourself quite a bit.

This modem works great, is relatively easy to setup and configure, and has a lot of options for the power user. There are MAC/IP filtering tools, parental controls and two guest networks: one for the 2.4Ghz band and one for the 5Ghz band. You have two USB ports for sharing devices on the network, but they are only USB 2.0 speeds which is odd for something at this price point. Wireless range to all of my devices is great.

The firmware has every setting I could want and I couldn't ask for better performance. I'm very happy with this modem/router combo.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 4, 2015
The WiFi connection drops out once every few hours. All wireless devices connect will loose network connection for a minute or so when that happens. I have updated the router's firmware to its latest one downloaded from TP-Link website and the wireless connection loss still occurs many times a day. I am returning the product back. When it is working, its range is very good. 5G throughput on my iOS device's speed test app reaches max (50mbps) speed of my Verizon FiOS service.

The router's firmware update is not straight forward. You must use a PC/Mac to find and download correct software update package for your router hardware revision from tp-link website to the PC/Mac, upzip it; use a browser to connect to the router's setup webpage (normally 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1); find firmware update tab and select the unzipped firmware package. Note once you update the router's firmware, it will factory default it self and the SSID and password you configured will be reverted back to factory default ones.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 14, 2015
Once I finally got this installed, it works wonderfully. Installation was a day long event, though that was entirely because of Comcast- not of any fault in the TP-Link device. It took me 3 phone calls to finally get it activated and provisioned with Comcast. If you are going to try self-activation, let me caution you to use your Comcast account number and phone number to log in. DO NOT use your e-mail and saved password to log into that activation page. For whatever reason, that was a stumbling block for me. Even after we cleared that, Their agent still had to preform a "hard reset" on the TP LInk to get it working. The old jam the paperclip into the hole in the back trick... I also think you are better off if you can activate it using a hardwired connection first and then set up the wireless connections, if you have a PC with an Ethernet port.

Anyway, once it was activated, I had no trouble getting my wireless devices to recognize it. Kudos to TP Link for giving a simple 8 digit numerical PIN rather than some 16 character alpha-numeric code that is a nightmare to key in on a printer, phone or TV. You can also use the push button WPS to link up your devices if they have that option. Router works fine with Yoga laptop, Samsung phone, LG Smart TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick.

My wireless range throughout the house is definitely better than before. I get good signal strength in the far corners of the upstairs where it used to drop out with my Motorola modem/router. I'm not sure my connectivity and speed problems are fixed though. I still get buffering issues with my Amazon Fire Stick. Again, this is likely not the fault of the TP Link. It can only work as well as your cable signal input. If you have poor speeds from your ISP or your house has crappy wiring, this is not going to be a magic bullet for those issues. {You can make Comcast come out to check your signal strength and tune things up. Just make sure they add on the line protection coverage to your account first so you don't have to pay for the service call. They added a small device to one of my cable outlets to boost the cable signal strength and it made a huge difference.}

Back to the TP Link---- The most intriguing feature of this device for me is the 2 USB ports. I have an external Hard drive plugged into one. Now I can back up both my PC and my laptop to the same hard drive- wirelessly- without having to be some sort of networking wizard. The laptop can get at the PC's backed up files even if the PC isn't turned on, since it all runs through the router. {Suggestion, do your initial backup hardwired and then do subsequent incremental backups wireless. The wireless back up of my music and photo files took more than a full day.} I plugged a printer into the other USB. The printer was already wireless but would sometimes loose connectivity for no reason. This gives me a back up option for when that happens, but I assume it would also enable you to share a non-wireless printer across your home network, again without requiring network administrator skills.

For me, the only thing that would make this device even better is if it included telephony services so I could ditch all of Comcast's modem/gateway equipment. As it is, I still have to pay the monthly fee for their modem just for the telephone. If you don't have Comcast phone service the TP-LINK Archer CR700 is hands down a slam dunk choice. Even if you do have Comcast phone, it is still worth it for the dual band and two USB port functionality.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2015
There's a lot of talk about DOCSIS 3.0 and what it will do for your streaming speeds, and now some ISPs are requiring upgrade to that standard. The catch is that they want to rent you a cable modem, typically for ten dollars a month. BUY YOUR OWN. Even an expensive one like this will pay for itself in 15 months.

A great advantage to this unit is that it combines a high-performance wireless router as well, so all in all it's a bargain for a top-end piece of gear.

Ours has shown that we can stream multiple video feeds to different devices even when we have a huge download. It's quite a jump over our last unit.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 29, 2016
This router worked for 45 days, did not had any issues, I have a 3000 sq ft house, it covered all my house initially, One fine evening it was dropping connection and was very slow, customer support was able to resolve the issue related to connectivity but the 2.4Ghz speed and range has gone down drastically from 50Mbps its now at under 3 mbps , the 5Ghz is fine but the range of 5ghz is not enough to cover my house, I am speaking to customer support since 15 day, they keep on sending me suggested settings ,asked me config file,its been 15 days the issue is still going on, still the speed is well under 3mbps.Vexed up with this i got a "NETGEAR N750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300)" to make sure nothing wrong with my service provider tested it for 3 days and it worked like a charm, always got speed of more then 50Mbps,
Not sure how this TP link Archer C7 is Amazon best seller router, its one of the worse router I have seen in a while $100 router giving issues in 45 days . I know TP link support team will now try to contact me here or ask me to call them, let me tell you guys before go and check out my ticket # TPLINK SUPPORT #207690
For reference check out the comparison betweek TP Link Archer C7 and Netgear WNDR4300
review image review image
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse