Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 8, 2012
I've had some experience with powerline networking in the past, and was disappointed. The speed was less than I would have expected and setup wasn't so easy. Not so with this product.

First, they're small, and fit nicely into a room without standing out.

Second, they were a snap to set up, and worked the first time I plugged in a device, in this case my MacBook Pro in the kitchen. Total setup time was 10 minutes from when I opened the package. I know from experience that these devices should be plugged directly into a wall socket, but I didn't have one available, so I used a power strip and a workgroup hub to connect back to the network, and it worked perfectly.

Third, the speed was fantastic, especially considering how I set these up (see above.) Using speedtest dot net, I tested my download speed, and I got a blazing 21.6 mps down, and 3.62 mbs up. My wireless speed is 2.76 mps down, and about the same up, an almost 8-time speed increase for downloads. More important, it will allow me to transfer items over my wired network from one computer to another at much faster speeds than wireless allows. Ping time confirmed this (see below.) For those of you who aren't network savvy, the stats show a speed increase on my network of approximately 100%.

WITH POWERLINE ADAPTER
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 3.553/4.066/7.924/1.289 ms

WIRELESS
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.834/4.601/9.790/2.453 ms

This item is also available as a 1-GB device. (These are 200 MB) I can't recommend them highly enough, at least based on my initial experience and performance.

All-in-all, I'm very pleased, especially at the price point. I'm sure that I'll be adding a couple of these devices in the future to expand my new network!

UPDATE: Sunday, September 8, 2013. I've had both of these adapters die on me after about 18 months of perfect service. The problem, according to what I find on-line, is a capacitor that blows. Repair is next to impossible, although it can be done if you're determined. TP-Link replaced them under warranty with their new Nano product which is working as well or better than the original. It is unnerving, however, to see that they both died within a month of each other. I don't have any idea if future products were modified to prevent this issue, but the version I have is 1.1. I'd avoid it. I'm still very pleased with the performance of this product, but I'm surprised at the capacitor problem. Caveat emptor!
2222 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2012
This is probably one of the easiest pieces of tech gear I've ever owned! Getting these powerline adapters setup literally takes less then a minute. Plug 'em in, connect your ethernet cables, push the setup button on one for 3 to 8 seconds and then do the same for the second unit, and you're done. Very simple and easy way to network your home. I own a few TP Link networking products now and I've been very impressed with their price and performance. I highly recommend these powerline adapters if you're looking for an easy, inexpensive way to network a home.
on July 10, 2012
I received the TP-Link Powerline Adapter (TL-PA211 STARTER KIT) today (July 10th 2012), I bought them because my wife was complaining about the WiFi range and speed in some areas at home, so my goal was to get more speed in that places where the WiFi do not covered well.

The installation was just plug and play, you just have to connect one to your router (cable included), and plugged it into the power outlet, and the other one in the power outlet where you need to get connected to internet, and from there to your computer (cable included). Both devices got synchronized quickly (less than 10 secs), and I was able to use the internet immediately.

I tested my internet speed connected to the internet through the TP-Link Powerline Adapter and using my Wifi, and I got 9.7 Mbps download speed with the TP-Link and 2.4 Mbps with my Wifi (my plan is 10 Mbps), so in my particular case, it worked as was advertised, I think that some people will find useful to know that both devices were connected in different electric circuits on my home, one is in the second floor, and the other in the kitchen, but both devices are connected directly to their respective outlets as was shown in the instructions.

Update:July 23th

Today one of the adapters died, I'm not impressed with their longevity, just one year and 13 days later, just good enough to avoid any warranty claim.
on March 28, 2012
Before ordering this I tried a wireless range extender Diamond Multimedia 300Mbps 802.11n Wireless Range Extender (WR300N), moved it all over the house and in the end was very disappointed. It was easy to set up but didn't seem to help the reception for streaming videos on either our Wii or our Sony DVD player.

I was resigned to not streaming in the living room, but due to continued motivational talks from my wife, decided to try something else, and settled on this. It was easy to set-up and streams our movies crazy good.

The only bad part is that I no longer get the motivational speeches from my spouse...
on August 23, 2012
Setup was amazingly simple, took less than 5 minutes. I plugged them in at opposite ends of my house. The first wired to my main router fed by FIOS. The second at the far other end of the house, hooked to a secondary wired/wireless router. The secondary router is plugged directly into a blueray player, which is NOW delivering blazing fast Netflix. Testing the bandwidth of the secondary router, which is fed by the TP Link via my home electrical lines, I've measured internet speeds, using Speakeasy via the web browser on my phone, I recorded 16 to 17 MBPS down and 5 to 6 MBPS up, which is amazing speed coming through the power lines and then through a secondary router. For comparison purposes, when wired directly to the main router fed by FIOS I get 26 MBPS down and 5 to 6 MBPS up. After having tried several wireless repeater products, each of which failed miserably and was returned, while skeptical about using my power lines in place of Cat 5 internet cable, I was dazzled with how fast and easy the setup was, and the very high bandwidth through my power lines to the secondary.

Note that you don't need one TP Link for every device, you can hook the secondary TP Link at the remote location to a wireless or wired router or network hub and then tap multiple other devices from the secondary router or hub, yielding even greater value for this product.

I would recommend this to anyone. I will note that it is critical that you don't hold the pair button longer than 8 seconds (per instructions) or you will reset the TP Link rather than pairing it, as was reported by one of the reviews as an issue, but if you hold the pair button between 3 and 8 seconds (I did 5 seconds) and do the same for the remote TP Link in less than 2 minutes, (per instructions) it's effortless to set up.

UPDATE after 11 months of ownership. I had purchased 4 of these (2 packages, 4 devices) and after 11 months one of the devices dropped dead, no lights, nothing. Luckily it was 2 weeks before the warranty expired. The company was very professional and they are replacing the failed device at no cost to me (except postage to ship back, about $5). So in the big picture, I still recommend these devices, they work very well, but with this device failure, I've lowered my rating from 5 stars to 4 stars.
on February 10, 2012
I can't believe how easy this was to set up. I even have it plugged into a UPS on one end and a surge-protected outlet on the other. It works well even at the other end of the house. I am using it with a Series 2 TiVo with a USB-to-ethernet adapter. Plug one side in. Plug other end in. Push button on 1st. Push button on 2nd. You're connected! Great product and very versatile.
on August 7, 2012
The TP-Link PA211 Kit comprises of 2 powerline adapters at an attractive price.
THE GOOD:
+ Cheaper than most other 200Mbps powerline adapters.
+ The physical size of this powerline adapter is smaller than most of the others that I've used.
+ The "pair" button placement is under the adapter (next to where the network cable plugs into) as opposed to on the size of the adapter (as found on most other devices). This is better because you are less likely to accidentally press it when plugging/unplugging.
+ Utility software is better than the ZyXEL PLA407 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-Plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 Units) that I have previously reviewed.
+ The power-off timeout (when no Ethernet device is connected to the adapter) is longer than on the Zyxel PLA-407 and is stated as 10 minutes in the manual. This is good as the Zxyel PLA-407 would go to sleep in 1 minute unless something was plugged into the Ethernet port. This made configuration difficult using the utility software. Happy to say that the TP-Link PA211 has a sensible "on" time before going to sleep.

THE BAD:
- Device password (required for setting Privacy/Network name for remote devices that are not directly connected via Ethernet) must be in ALL CAPS and dashes entered. I don't know why the utility software doesn't auto-capitalize password input since only caps are valid. If you enter in lower case you will get an "invalid password" error. Also the utility does not indicate that passwords should be entered in all caps.
- Unlike most powerline adapters the powerline LED does NOT change color to indicate connection quality. It is always green (Most other powerline adapters that I've used from Netgear, Zyxel etc change the LED color red/amber/green to indicate line quality). You can still check the line rate & quality settings via the TP-Link powerline utility software but it is FAR easier to just plug the adapter in different outlets and watch the LED to get an idea of whether this outlet is "better/worse" than another. This in my opinion is a significant disadvantage to the TP-PA211.
- There is some "bleed-through" of the Panel LEDs, so sometimes it appears that an LED is ON when it is really OFF (due to light from the adjacent LED). This affects the powerline LED the most as it is in the middle of the 3 LEDs.
OVERALL, I would recommend this powerline adapter despite the few flaws. It is cheap, small, has functional utility software and works. If you can put up with the front LED shortcomings mentioned above it is a good choice for a powerline adapter. I have noticed that most TP-Link products are priced aggressively compared to traditional brands and seem to be just as good.
I hope you have found this review useful!
on February 16, 2012
I had a pair of airlink 85Mbps powerline adatpers at home for many years. When I need to try several outlets to find a "work best" outlet to get "best possible" transfer rate with airlink. This one works much better on every single outlet! Speed is not rated at my site but at least I can get full-speed (25Mbps) download now when only 5Mbps with airlink. Good product!
on September 18, 2012
First of all, let me say that I believe that this is a great product. I have now hooked it up to three different devices in difficult to reach, remote areas of my house and have seen dramatic improvements in streaming compared with WiFi. Why not 5 stars? Straight out of the box I did my best to follow the (scant) directions contained in the box. The directions instruct to hold the pair button for 3-8 seconds on the first adapter, then 3-8 seconds on the second adapter within 2 minutes. After two frustrating hours, I figured out that I was holding the buttons down too long. If held down longer than 8-ish seconds, all lights will blink and (I believe) the unit resets. Hence, my units wouldn't pair. Once I held down for about 5 seconds on each, the pairing was nearly instant and the product has since worked flawlessly.
on September 17, 2012
It is easy to hook up the two devices to your router and powerline. However, to hook up a third is not clear from the documentation (which indicates all you have to do is press the button, just as when you hooked up the first two). You must use the supplied utility to "add" the third device, which requires you to type in the password (printed on the bottom of the device). That is easy to do, and the third unit works fine. I have a 1992 house and get 137Mb/s downstairs (where the router is), and 108Mb/s upstairs. This is plenty fast enough for my purposes, but is quite a bit slower than the 200Mb/s maximum. The devices run cool. I would buy another of the same brand if I needed support in a third room.