2,425
TP-LINK TL-SG1008D 10/100/1000Mbps 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch, 10Gbps Switching Capacity
Size Name: 8 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Change
Price:$19.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 9, 2013
Size Name: 5 PortStyle Name: Mb (10/100Mbps)Verified Purchase
Me and my roommate in college both have PC's and Xbox 360s, but there is only two Ethernet ports. We got tired of having to move each ethernet every time we wanted to switch. We almost bought just a average 2$ splitter, but a little research showed that splitters don't allow you to have connection from both sources at once, which is pretty pointless. This switch is amazing. It allows us to have all of our devices connected to it with full internet access all at the same time. It also has ZERO configuration required.. you just plug it in and it's ready to go. Great product!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2012
Size Name: 5 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Verified Purchase
I wanted to hard-wire the network for my home theater setup. Most notably, an Xbox 360 (100Mbit), a PS3 (1000Mbit), an AppleTV 3rd gen (100Mbit), and the television itself (LN52B630, unsure about speed). Previous, I had the Xbox plugged in directly to my Airport Extreme over CAT5e, and used the wireless on the PS3/AppleTV. However, I wanted to hard-wire the AppleTV for airplay mirroring to speed things up a bit. And if I was going to split the one gigabit connection into more than one, I figure I might as well wire up everything, and a 5 port gigabit switch was exactly what I needed.

Looking around Amazon, this guy had really top notch reviews. Online research showed NewEgg reviewers giving this little guy glowing reviews, with a few nags here and there. There are a few neat hacks people have done to make this switch even more useful, but I won't get into those. I figured for $20, this little guy should do the trick. Plus, Amazon has a great return policy for faulty products, so why not give it a try. I've been burned by high quality names dying out on me for no good reason, so I figured I'd give this little guy a go.

So far, fantastic! I wasn't able to do a very good test to max out the line speed, but the speed did not change between no switch and the switch over the same wire. I checked all ports and they all worked at 1000BaseT just fine, and latency was consistent across all ports. Also, I confirmed that mixed modes caused no issues, as noted by my above devices. Of the 5 ports, 2 are gigabit (uplink to the Airport Extreme and the PS3), and the AppleTV/Xbox are 100Mbit - the TV is most likely 10BaseT, but it may be 100BaseT. Everything is working together flawlessly, though since it's for a home theater setup, it's not being taxed heavily.

If it dies on me or if things end up not working out, I will be sure to come back and update this review. But I figured I'd toss my two cents for other people running into my situation.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2011
Size Name: 5 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Verified Purchase
I needed another switch and I bought this one because it was inexpensive, was supposed to be energy-saving, and was well-reviewed across the net.
It works very well, and it runs cool - barely warm to the touch.
Compare that with my Cisco 5-port gigabit switch which is always HOT to the touch.
Heat is wasted electricity and ultimately challenges component reliability.
I would recommend this product to anyone.
on December 10, 2013
Size Name: 5 PortStyle Name: Mb (10/100Mbps)Verified Purchase
I live in a college dorm and only have one ethernet port in the wall. Another problem is that the university's wifi doesn't work very well in my room so I really needed some extra ports for my computer, ps3, and ps4. This worked exactly as I hoped it would. Just connect an ethernet cable from the wall into the device and then you have 4 ports for use. It also needs an outlet to be plugged into.
on October 7, 2012
Size Name: 8 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Verified Purchase
I can't say much about this little switch except that it does it's job and it's an excellent value. If you're in the market for a switch there's no reason to pass this one up. If you've got a mixed network of 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet) and 1000 Mbps (Gigabit) equipped machines, this will not only provide your network with switching and throughput your Gigabit machines can take advantage of, it will also improve the performance of your Fast Ethernet devices by providing store-and-forward switching. It has improved throughput on my mixed-mode network considerably even though I only have one device with a Gigabit network card. Streaming videos from my desktop Plex server to my Roku and from iTunes to my AppleTV is now totally seamless, without buffering or either device dropping off the network.

I should note that my Roku and AppleTV were previously connected by 150Mbps wifi, and my new setup is connected as such..
Desktop (Plex media server/iTunes) > TP-Link Gigabit Switch > DSL gateway/router > Cisco 10/100 Switch > Streaming boxes(Roku and AppleTV)
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2013
Size Name: 8 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you have uVerse, which comes with a 3800HGV 4-port router, and you run out of ports, this switch can easily remedy the problem. Just plug it in to any of the ports on the back of the uVerse router, and then plug devices into the back of this switch, and off you go. Problem solved.

I like how the ports are any-to-any, meaning you can choose any one of the 8 ports to attach to another router, and any of the ports to attach to devices. There are no dedicated uplink ports. I have a Cisco MicroCell, an Ooma Telo, an ObiTalk, a laptop with docking station, a desktop computer, and a network printer all attached to the uVerse router...some directly, and some via this switch. Everything runs perfectly.

This is a great low cost solution to pretty much any home networking need, as far as I can tell.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Not that long ago, gigabit Ethernet cost about $100 per port...this TP-Link product brings the cost down to barely $2 per port.

I found the construction quality to be better than I thought it would be at this price point - but a long way from the heavy metal units you might find in a data center rack. The unit is light and in a thin plastic case with the usual wall-wort power supply. There's a "power" LED and one LED per port that lights up when a cable is inserted and the link is active. As other reviewers mention, it has no fan and it runs both cool to the touch and completely silently. These are both great features to me.

It also offers auto-sensing for media speed (10/100/1000) and direction, so you can plug just about anything into it. Want to plug into your broadband router? Simple - just run an Ethernet cable to any open port on the TP-Link...no special "Uplink" port or anything like that. Need more ports? Just plug a second switch into any available port, and you go from 8 to 14 (not 16, since you lose a port on each device for the uplink cable). There's nothing to configure - the device just "works" out of the box.

As for performance, I have similar (but more expensive) Netgear and Linksys switches, and the TP-Link seems to perform at least as well as either, even with many devices active concurrently. So far, the unit's been running 24x7 for several weeks with exactly zero outages.

This is a home unit, so there are very limited management capabilities inside...no SNMP, etc. There's no way to do sophisticated VLAN setup or priority assignments - again, probably not an issue at home, although some people are starting to wonder how to prioritize VoIP phone traffic over computer traffic. About the only other thing I find lacking is PoE (Power over Ethernet), so if you're connecting (say) a camera or phone that requires PoE, you'll need separate power injectors. Still, at this price, can't really find fault with anything on this TP-Link switch.

Definitely recommended if you need a simple but solid 8-port Gigabit Ethernet switch at an incredibly low price.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 8, 2012
Size Name: 5 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Verified Purchase
The TL-SG1005D is a 5-port gigabit switch that is inexpensive and "just plain works". However the front panel design could have been better. Also note the case is plastic not metal, which is cheaper.
THE GOOD:
+ Support Jumbo frames up to 9K (according to the manual)
+ Front panel LED flash rate is slow enough to easily see from across the room.
+ Like most modern switches this one is "green" - uses less power for shorter Ethernet cables and powers down unused ports to save energy.
+ Single-chip switch controller is heatsinked for better heat dissipation.
THE BAD:
- Wall mount screws are not included.
- The front panel LEDs are single color (green) and do not change color to indicate "gigabit device connected" like some other switches. Thus you cannot tell if a device is gigabit or not from looking at the front panel.
- There is only a single LED per port and not separate Link/Activity LEDs like on some other switches. This may have been done to keep costs down.
- The Power LED is the same color as the Port LEDs. I would have preferred the Power LED be a different color (red) than the green LEDs used for the ports.
OVERALL it's a good choice for a gigabit switch. However I would have really liked to see a way of determining connected device speed from looking at the front panel. Be sure to check out the 8-port version of this same switch (TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch) as it may be only a couple of dollars more.
I hope this has been helpful!
review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size Name: 5 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a gigabit hard wired network throughout my home, so I need gigabit switches wherever switches are used. I have several TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Standard Switches in my home, and this inexpensive one seems to work just as well. Both remain cool to the touch, are energy efficient, and automatically detect which ports are in use to conserve power. Both automatically detect whether you are using standard or crossover cables, and both work fine with either type.

If you are using this to connect your devices to the Internet, chances are any good switch will work for you. If you are copying large files throughout your network, such as copying a 7GB recorded TV program from one computer to another, you want it to go just as fast as if you were copying from one high speed drive to another within the same computer. This will handle the load just fine. You won't find yourself waiting for several minutes, as you might with a 100base-T switch.

One limiting factor I hit was that if the ends of all your cables have boots surrounding the plugs, then the fit might be tight or even too close for all the cables to go in. But that's the case with other switches too, and won't be a problem with most commercially terminated cables.

Another factor, although it's true for the Trendnet also but is not a universal issue, is that the port numbers are printed on only one side of the lights. So if you mount this to the wall, the numbers will be upside down. (plastic cased models only.)

When comparing this with the Trendnet switches, there were a few other notable differences. The Trendnet is more expensive and has a much higher list price, although the typical selling prices are closer.

The Trendnet has a solid metal case, and the TP-Link has a cheaper plastic case. In either case, I keep mine mounted to the wall and don't anticipate any real world difference. [Update: I now have a TP Link 8 port router with a metal case and it's as robust as the Trendnet and sold at a competitive price.]

The Trendnet has two rows of LEDs, making it easy to tell at a glance whether there's an active link, whether there's data being transmitted, and whether the link speed is high speed. For practical purposes, it would be good to be able to tell at a glance what the connection speed is, but the Trendnet will tell me if it's 100 or above, or below 100. So without being able to tell at a glance whether it's 100 or 1000, I don't consider that a significant feature. TP-Link's single row of lights tells me all other relevant information.

[Update: I now have the TPLink with the metal case. It has orange and green lights next to each port, much as you'd see on a desktop computer port. The other side has a place to plug in the power supply and nothing else. This is fine for a desktop, but you won't see the lights on a day to day basis. You might not want to. But if you wall mount it, keep the location of the lights in consideration.]

Technical specs are pretty close, although the TP-Link boasts a 15K jumbo frame rate, vs 9K for the Trendnet. That makes it theoretically better for larger files, but for practical purposes the limiting factors in my network will be hard disk speed. And even my largest video files will transfer in under a minute either way.

Both are power saving units. The Trendnet claims to save up to 70% power vs 80% for the TP-Link. I couldn't measure any difference and would have to take long term measurements to find any, so I doubt they would be significant.

The power adapters are virtually the same size and shape, with minor differences in voltage. The TP-link adapter has the company logo on it, as well as the company name on the sticker. That may not seem like a major advantage, but I have more power supplies and adapters than I can count, and matching them up isn't always easy.

The Trendnet has a three year warranty, and TP-Link offers a two year warranty, according to the website. They didn't make it easy to find that out. Generally if a product like this doesn't fail in the first few months, it's not likely to fail in the next few years.

Overall, the TP-link comes out ahead on most all of these very minor points. Since the price and the power adapter are the only ones that would make a practical difference for me, even if minor, I can't see a compelling reason to get the Trendnet instead. But I can't see a reason to stay away from it. Either way you will get a quality product, and if you decide to get this to save money, you won't be any worse off for it.

UPDATE: I now have three TPLink switches in my system, connecting over 20 devices on a 1000baseT network. Things continue to work well overall. I used them to replace existing TRENDnet switches in my system. My previous conclusion was that any differences were relatively minor. With the new topology, things are working better than ever. Previously unexplainable network problems that affected Windows homegroups disappeared. Although I have other switches that I could use, I'm keeping the TPlink ones in my system. While I can't say you will have problems with the Trendnet switches, I can say that I don't have problems with the TPlink ones.
on July 20, 2012
Size Name: 8 Port DesktopStyle Name: Gb (10/100/1000Mbps)Verified Purchase
For the price, I was not expecting much but I have to say this is a great value. This is a very simple plug and play unmanaged switch, nothing fancy but perfect for most homes and even a small office with simple needs. I've hardwired most of my devices, freeing up the wireless for the stuff that moves. I'm using it with a desktop that is running Microsoft Media Center, a Silicon Dust HD Home Run to record up to 3 channels at once, an Xbox used to play those recordings. I also stream Netflix on a Blu-ray player and a PS3 all connecting to this switch and all work perfectly. The current item picture on Amazon shows a white top but mine arrived all black which I think looks better.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations