Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on December 2, 2002
"Tread Softly on my Dreams" is the best novel about Ireland that I've read--and I've read many. (Of course Morgan Llywelyn's novels are outstanding, but this even beats them.) Like another reviewer, I came to this book accidentally. What a find! The writing is good, the story is wonderful and parts of the book just shine. Robert Emmet's plea from the dock during his trial brings a lump to the throat of all of us with Irish blood. There's a great mixture of fact and fiction. This is one of those books that inspires you to go to non-fiction to find out what really happened. In my opinion that should be the goal of all historical fiction writers. If you like historical fiction and especially if you are in love with Ireland like I am, you must read this book.
0Comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2000
This is probably the best book I have ever read. It has all the history of the story with a very personal human touch. I have never been so emotionally moved while reading a book, especially at the ending.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2012
The author who may actually be a descendant of Sarah Curran Robert Emmet's never to be wife has produced a first class piece of work here. It is a historical fiction version of the events leading to and after the 1803 Robert Emmet rebellion. The author has obviously done tremendous research on the historical facts of what happened and who did what as her attention to detail is very clear. She gives life to historical figures such as Anne Devlin whom many may not know so much about and does justice to the memory of Robert Emmet who of course is most famous for his final words:
Emmet's speech from the dock at his trial would become an inspiration to later generations seeking Irish freedom. "We fight that all of us might have our country, and, that done, each of us shall have our religion," he said, ending with, "When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my epitaph be written."

All in all a great book which is well worth tracking down.
on October 27, 1999
This book was one of the most enjoyable but extremely moving books that I have ever read. Robert Emmet was a wonderful man with a passion and dream as great as any Irishman had for Ireland. This was set during a very troubled time of Irelands history that gave me a great understanding of Irish history. Gretta Curran Browne spent fours years researching for this book and all I can say is that I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on March 18, 2014
Good historical fiction. Too many characters though. Extremely poor editing of the e-book; many, many errors made reading book difficult.
on August 7, 2013
I honestly don't understand why this book doesn't have a thousand positive reviews. I love historical fiction. However I realize it's not a popular genre, so I assume that explains the lack of reviews. There are a lot of characters to keep up with. It's not a fluff read, but certainly not a difficult read. I absolutely loved it. If you are at all interested in the history if Ireland I strongly recommend this book. There is a lot of information about the political & judicial system of the time, but it is not a dry book. You will also find a love story & fully developed characters that will make you not want to put the book down. I wish it had ended differently, but since the book is based on fact sadly that couldn't be....sigh
on June 3, 2006
Inspired by genealogical research that led me to find such a direct line to Scotland and Ireland in my family, I had decided to learn more about the history of both countries. As William Wallace's inner strength and noble acts were brought across in Mel Gibson's movie, "Braveheart," Gretta Curran Browne has done admirable honor to Robert Emmet, a hero no less strong and noble. This book reads like an engaging historical movie that does stay true to actual events in the late 1700s and early 1800s. Your time will not be wasted with this reading.
on March 12, 2003
Absolutely fabulous book - and so is the sequel 'Fire On The hill'. This is the first book on Emmett and his abortive rising that gives Anne Devlin her proper place, and shows her bravery and love for Emmett for what it was. Read this and know what a great historical novel should be, and as a great introduction to many of ireland's greatest heroes. This should be on everyone's list if you are at all interested in ireland's history
on October 21, 2014
It is an interesting story written in stilted prose marred by the apparent lack of a copy editor. It would be interesting to re-read the book should an editor be consulted and the typographical and wrong word errors be corrected. As it stands, finishing the book was a labor. The three stars is for what it could be.
on January 10, 2016
The events of this novel are true. It is hard to believe that such injustice could have occurred under the reign of George III. The corruption and cruelty of the British rule in Ireland is clearly represented in this historical novel.

Set in the time immediately after the American revolution, the courageous and failed attempts of the Irish revolution are heartbreakingly described with eloquence and beauty. The heroism of Robert Emmet, the leader of the revolt, and his fatal idealism is tragic yet inspiring.

Yet the story seems like a romance realistically portrayed. We like Emmet and the woman he loves, and his loyal supporters. Worth reading on many levels.