5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, never have to touch it!
I upgraded from an 8 port Gigabit Trendnet switch to this bad boy with 16 ports. I've got 15/16 used up and it's never let me down. I can easily get transfer speeds between my two gigabit desktops of around 90-110 MB/s (using 7200RPM and SSD Hard Drives#.

Published on February 28, 2011 by J. Blair

Published on January 3, 2012 by Thomas M. Coyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Just works, never have to touch it!, February 28, 2011
This review is from: TRENDnet 16-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S16DG (Personal Computers)

All I had to do was plug in my ethernet cables, turn the power on and haven't touched it since. Reliable and fast connection for all the devices on my home network.

No fan inside, it doesn't run hot even in a wall box and it's completely silent.

LED's on the front will tell you if a device is connected and if it's Green it's connected at Gigabit and Amber if it's 10/100.

Very satisfied with the purchase and would recommend to anyone looking to venture to the Gigabit realm. FYI you will need Gigabit ethernet cards on the computers that you want to connect to the network to get Gigabit speeds #125MB/s vs 12.5MB/s on 10/100# so don't expect your 3-4 year old Desktop to connect at gigabit speeds. But don't fret, gigabit NIC's are pretty cheap, I got this low profile #for slim computers# Dynex - Gigabit PCI Desktop Adapter DX-PCIGB used for about $6 on Amazon #3rd party seller#, but you can just search "Gigabit ethernet card" and find them new for around $10-$15 new with full size bracket# Make sure it says Gigabit or 10/100/1000 in the title though as Gigabit is for some reason a key word on some 10/100 cards#

If you're wondering what you'll gain from going gigabit, here's a brief overview of bits and Bytes and 10/100 vs 10/100/1000 #gigabit#:

MB = Mega Bytes, Mb = Mega Bits. 8 bits in 1 Byte

You have a 100 MB file. If you transfer at 100 Mb/s it will download in 12.5 seconds.

If you have a 100 MB file and you transfer it at 100 MB/s, it will transfer in 1 second.

If your Internet provider says you can download at speeds up to 8 Mb/s. That means you can download 1 MB in 1 second.

If your Internet provider says you can download at speeds up to 16 Mb/s. That means you can download 2 MB in 1 second.

Transfer speed on a 10/100 router would be up to 12.5 MB/s.

Transfer speed on a 10/100/1000 #gigabit# router would be up to 125 MB/s.

Say you have a DVD rip that is 2.5GB, on a hard wire connection between 2 gigabit computers it would take roughly 20 seconds to transfer. On a 10/100 connection it would take about 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

Say you have a 1080p MKV video file that is 32GB, on a hard wire connection between 2 gigabit computers it would take roughly 4 minutes and 16 seconds to transfer. On a 10/100 connection it would take about 42 minutes and 40 seconds.

Note: These are theoretical speeds and much depends on your processing speed and also your hard drive speed.

If you have any questions just comment, I get automatic e-mail notifications on comments and will answer questions as quickly as possible.

--------------------------------------------

Update 03/01/2012:

It's been a year now since it's been installed and left in the wall. Never had an issue with it this whole time, even with power outages, lighting strikes #killed my Xbox#, it has been rock solid. Still highly recommended.

--------------------------------------------

Update 04/13/2013:

Another year and still no issues. I took it out of the wall when I moved and now it's located on a shelf in my laundry room which can get quite humid when the dryer runs and still running like a champ.

1.0 out of 5 stars Two defective units - randomly stops forwarding: design/firmware flaw?, January 3, 2012
In mid-November I ordered one of these for a small-office client to replace a Linksys/Cisco SRW2008 which the office had outgrown. I chose the TEG-S16Dg based on the fact that the office didn't need a managed switch, its excellent price-per-port when compared to other unmanaged switches, and its consistently-positive reviews both here and elsewhere. In this office there are 10 users backed by a Real Server, with consistent high-bandwidth utilization (lots of large document and image manipulation and cataloging). Given that the switch is unmanaged, installation is indeed plug-and-play. My observations were that the performance was on-par with the Cisco, and there were no issues with either Auto or hard-coding speed and duplex on the server, network peripherals, and client machines. All in all, a great box at a great price.

And then the problem started.

One month after installation, after running 24x7 with no issues, the switch just stopped forwarding between certain ports. The links didn't actually go down and there were no other indications of a failure, but random devices just couldn't connect any longer to random other devices. Bounce the switch and all was well for about 10 minutes, and then the problem started again. I say "random" above because there didn't seem to be any consistency about what ports would be affected, except in the case of the server - in all cases, that port would stop forwarding (whichever port it happened to be - I did try a number of different ports) - but otherwise, random devices among all 16 ports would be affected (not even in a particular port bank, which is a common failure mode), and the next failure after reboot would affect different ports, which ports would remain affected until the next boot. An investigation of the server revealed no warnings or issues, and I concluded with changing both the NIC and the cables just for giggles. No effect - same problem.

I order from Amazon primarily because of Prime, their wonderful return policy, and excellent support reps. I received a same-model replacement right away, installed it, sent the bad one back, and, after a couple weeks of solid performance, chalked it up to a one-off bad unit. No such luck. The exact same issue has now occurred with the new unit.

I called TrendNet support. They claim no knowledge or reports of this issue, and given that the switch is unmanaged, there's no user-serviceable action that can be taken, such as a firmware upgrade. Googling also offers no reports of such a problem.

Given that lack of reports, and given the unlikelihood that I've received two bad switches with identical failure modes, my conclusion is that there is a design flaw in the product that can't handle some event that's happening in this environment (though I can correlate no such event with these failures), which Trend missed in their design and QA.

Since this is a consumer- or small-business oriented switch, it's unlikely that most customers will be pushing as much data through it as consistently as my client's environment, so perhaps that's a contributor. Otherwise, the only thing that stands out is Trend's "GREENnet" technology which reduces power utilization per port based primarily on cable length - perhaps there's something unusual in that technology that's having trouble either with my cables (all Cat6 500Mhz both for endpoints and for premise-punchdown with a maximum switch-to-client distance of 12 meters through two punchdowns, and short-run Cat6 500Mhz direct cabling to the server and other gear in the IDF closet itself), some other obscure item like MTU, a problem with heat (there is no dedicated AC in the IDF but the temperature remains constant at about 80F, which should be perfectly fine) or some combination of the above. Either way, given that everything in my architecture is designed correctly, was working perfectly with the SRW2008 24x7 for over a year, and, again, has worked perfectly with each of these Trend switches - until they die in this decidedly-odd fashion - I must conclude that there is a design flaw. While it's possible that I received a pair of bad switches (maybe there was an issue with one batch in manufacturing), TrendNet hasn't acknowledged such an issue. I'm certainly not going to waste any more time trying a third one of these.

For now, I've placed the SRW2008 back in service, chained to a dumb 10/100 switch for a few low-bandwidth endpoints, until I decide on a replacement device. Given Trend's overall-excellent reputation and reviews, I'm willing to give them another chance, but only with a device with a different architecture. The main contender right now is their TEG-160WS, which is managed, does NOT have GREENnet, and is only about $50 more. I'll write an update if I do go with that unit.

*2/13/12 Update: I ended up replacing the TEG-S16Dg with the latest "big brother" of the SRW2008, the Cisco Sg 200-18 18-PORT Gigabit. Despite the much higher price of admission, I wanted the management and monitoring capability (which is absurdly extensive given the target audience of small businesses) and the Cisco reliability to which I'm accustomed from my large datacenter implementations. For once, it seems like a manufacturer managed to integrate an acquisition - Linksys in this case - very well; while this product's origins were as a high-end Linksys and ended up as a low-end Cisco, the throughput, reliability (so far), configuration options, and other various bells and whistles make this switch a relative bargain. Note that it too offers the "green ethernet" option (I hadn't been aware of this initiative and how widespread it's become), but I've disabled it for now (+1 for highly-configurable managed switches); if the switch survives through the end of the month I'll turn it on to see what happens - I haven't yet discounted that there might be something unusual happening in the environment with an IP phone or desktop dumb switch that's causing the low-power / cable length detection to go wonky.

*6/26/12 Update: Except for configuration-change-necessitated reboots, the Cisco has been running 24x7 since I installed it with zero issues. So, unless Trend has finally acknowledged and/or fixed their design flaw, skip this and buy the Cisco.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Upgrade That Just Works, September 19, 2011
This unit fixed years of unresolved issues that drove me crazy. Best birthday gift I ever bought for my wife to give to me.

I have a demanding family home network that involves a combination of wired and wireless networked devices. I am running a Windows Server, a Network Attached Storage (NAS), 3 Multimedia (Movie)Streaming PCs, 3 Desktop PCs, 1 Laptop, 4 Netbooks, 2 DirecTV DVRs, 2 Gaming Consoles, 2 network attached Blu-ray Players, a VOIP (Internet) Telephone System, and 5 DROID X Cell Phones using Wi-Fi.

All my equipment was fairly new. I had what appeared to be a simple and clean setup with a cable modem going to a simple 4 port wireless combo router. Attached to the router was a VOIP router and then two 5-port 10/100 speed switches that carried Ethernet to 3 other rooms. In each room is another 5-port 10/100 speed switch which connects to a combination of Multimedia PCs, DirecTV DVRs, Blu-ray Players and Gaming consoles.

My High-speed Internet is the best offered in my location at 50 Mb/second. But none of this matters if your infrastructure is lacking. All I know is I had complaints from the kids and wife about how slow things always were. I constantly found myself restarting the cable modem and router which seemed to be a temporary fix. For years I constantly fiddle with connectivity issues, lost IPs, and choppy performance. My family finally gave up completely on trying to view the 2ND DirecTV DVR from the other room because it continually froze up.

Enough was enough. Knowing that the cable modem and router were both fairly new, I started to suspect the 10/100 switches. All appeared OK, and function checked ok, but out of frustration, I still replaced them all. The two main switches were replaced with the TRENDnet 16-Port Gigabit Switch and the three remaining 5-port 10/100 switches were each replaced with the TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (model TEG-S50g).

Instantly all my issues were resolved for good. We can now flawlessly watch any DVR from another room. File transfers between PCs and the Internet are blazingly fast, and I'm finally seeing the 50 Mb/second Internet I've been paying for. Speed tests went from 20s and 30s to well over 60 Mb/second. I am one happy camper and highly recommend these devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, January 20, 2011
Solid construction, silent, works out of the box, low power, great price!

A professional looking piece of gear. Recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unmanaged switch. No rack ears though., October 15, 2012
After upgrading our broadband router to a model featuring 4 gigabit LAN ports, we decided to upgrade the rest of the network to get the performance benefits of gigabit wired ethernet.

I have an extensive wired network throughout the house, but with the 4 ports on the switch, and 16 ports here, minus 2 for connecting them, that leaves me with 18 available gigabit ports. The switch has 32 GBPS bandwidth across its bus, so no problems squeezing data through the switch itself, the link, and status lights give you a myriad of diagnostic information, and the legend on the front panel clearly explains the meaning of that diagnostic information from the lights... Versatile mounting options include desktop, rack, and with a little creativity to a mount board.

Unlike my old Netgear 10/100 ethernet switch, with a terribly noisy fan, this thing is nearly silent in operation (On or off I can't hear it, and my sound meter app can't detect anything...).

The Green Net technology is a huge bonus to even if you only hug trees to figure out how many board feet are in them. You see nobody likes spending too much money on energy, and the ability for this to automatically power the ports off seems like it would help. Time will tell how reliable that is though.

The only real problem I have with this switch, and several other folks have mentioned it as well, is the lack of the rack mounting tabs / ears / brackets whatever you want to call them. They really ought to be included. But for a top quality switch at the price of this unit. The lack of the brackets can be easily overlooked...

One thing that DOES need to be mentioned. This is an unmanaged switch. I have seen reviews here and there complaining about the lack of configuration options in unmanaged switches. That is kind of the def9inition of unmanaged after all isn't it? If you need to hard set your speed negotiation / packet sizes etc... do so with your NIC driver / module, or bump up to a layer2 manged switch (at about 3x the cost of an un managed model...)

1.0 out of 5 stars After 6 months, it started randomly locking up, October 8, 2012
Like many of you, I was impressed with the mostly favorable reviews, the fact that it was GREEN, and that a home-based 16 port Gigabit switch could be had for such little money.
Now that I've had it installed for 6 months, I am replacing it with a DGS-1024D. Let me explain why.

Basically, my situation was very similar to the Jan 3rd, 2012 review by a Thomas Coyle. The Trendnet switch all of a sudden stopped forwarding between certain ports until it was reset. A power cyle/reset of the switch would clear it up, but as I'm not in the mood to enter my basement every 24 hours to reset my switch.

Trendnet support is your typical, outsourced, overseas, bad language barrier, "no technicians are available" type support group. They promise to call you back, but they never do. So no joy there.

Buyer beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars also seeing the dropped packets after a few minutes issue, August 7, 2012
I've used several other models of Trend switches successfully, including the PoE ones, but this particular model has a serious problem with constant packet flows. After a few minutes it drops the flow, interrupting whatever service was creating the flow. It seems to be primarily a problem with UDP packets, but after isolating this switch as the cause of the drops we stopped troubleshooting and swapped it out for a Dlink. So, back it went.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRENDnet 16-Port Gigabit switch, January 24, 2012
I bought this switch to install inside my On-Q closet box. The unit has optional 19" rack mount brackets available, but I simply attached some double-stick 3M pads on the back and stuck it to the inside of my router/switch/modem box. This unit works very well in a house with 3 Xbox units, 2 PS3 units, and 8 computers - many of which are being used at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great GB switch, July 6, 2011
L. F. Hunter (somewhere in the ether....) - See all my reviews
Purchased from another vendor, for about $80. Has been that price here (ammy), sometimes.

This switch is terrific value, period. Plug it in, it works. I upgraded my home network to GB, and this switch is the way to go.

The specs on Amazon fail to say that this unit has "Power Consumption 7.2 Watts (max.)" (from the TrendNet website). Really, that is cool. You may ask, why?

Well, it means that not only is this switch cheap to run, it will also run for hours on a decent UPS (uninterpretable power supply. When we loose power, my UPS keeps my DSL modem, this switch, and wireless router, all running. Very nice.

Performance is just fine, too. No noticeable difference from my prior ProCurve 8 port GB switch (I needed more ports).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money. Works exactly as expected., March 22, 2011
LL (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Looks solid, works fine, see no reason to pay up for other brands.

Bought this to upgrade from an old 3Com 16-port 100Mbps switch. Installed this TrendNet 1.0G switch in its place and it works exactly as it should. "Installation" was nothing -- just connecting the cables.

Only have this for 2 days. Thus far no issues. My old switch worked flawlessly for 10 years. Would like to get the same out of this one, but have no way of knowing.