on January 8, 2010
Verified Purchase
I've spent the last few months dealing with a horrible wireless n router so I decided to go with this one. I also have a TREDNnet wireless n gaming adapter and it's been fantastic so far. Anyways, this router runs cool even though I've been using multiple connections at the same time and using tons of traffic. My PC shows that I average 250Mbps and I see it peak at 300 constantly so the speed is as advertised. I have it running in mixed mode. It only took about 10 minutes to set the router up out of the box. Once I plugged in my cable modem and my pc it automatically configured the connection and I just had to log in and configure the wireless portion and security. In the 10 minutes I also configured my DDNS and my wireless IP Cameras to work with the router. It's a super easy interface.....pretty much the same as any other router you can buy. When saving settings the reboot only took a few seconds and always went back into the setup. Most routers clunk out and you have to reset and log back in manually. I could go on and on but to keep this short I'd have to say that this router is awesome and it does EXACTLY as advertised. I've used most of the major brands of routers and I can't say much for most. It's very difficult to find a good reliable product but I think I've gotten lucky with this one. Don't believe hype or buy something because you've heard the name before. The only other router I've ever been happy with was a Viewsonic believe it or not. That thing was rock solid and never gave me a single problem. If anything changes I will post it....otherwise you can count on this router. I love how people here are claiming they have advanced knowledge but can't set this router up. It's really very very simple just follow the quick setup in the manual.

*UPDATE 1/17/10*
Still no reset needed! I've been using tons of data with multiple devices. As a matter of fact Netflix is streaming to my living room right now. I have a torrent downloading on this pc @ 500kB/s and there are no hiccups. Just solid lightning fast connections!

*UPDATE 3/14/10*
Still no reset needed. I'm running in Mixed Mode and you MUST run 20/40 on the Bandwidth to get full speed. That must be the problem with others but this is standard with any N router.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2009
A basic wireless router which has features and functions that generally work as advertised, including port fowarding. Most home users wouldn't need any more. The 3yr warranty is best in industry, just hope you don't need to collect.

Simple to set-up & configure ( ignore CD):
First, plug in router, connect to modem and PC via ethernet cables; then disconnect power to modem and router. Then, re-connect power to modem and wait for about 30 secs., then connect power back to the router. Now re-boot PC's and the router will have assigned IP's via DHCP. You can type 192.168.10.1 into browser to access advanced router/wireless set-up & settings ( username:admin ; leave password blank ).
-------------------------------
User interface dumbed-down from prior model (633GR)

No QoS (contrary to some descriptions).

Even with these features DISABLED, router allows 'WAN Ping Respond' and 'Remote-Management'. 'Remote-Port' assignment for 'Remote-Management' is ignored. These problems could be a security issue (use strong p/w).

Router REBOOT takes way too much time and did NOT clear a problem requiring a power re-cycle.

No activity log accessable to user.

LAN connection (RJ-45) sockets are too snug & too closely spaced & interfere with antenna motion.

Only connected device's MAC address are reported, not the local computer "name".

While Trendnet support is responsive, helpfulness decreases as problem complexity increases.
---------------------------------
Factory installed Firmware (v1.0.9.135, 9-Nov-2009) is NEWER than that offered at Trendnet.com for this model (v1.0.8.16 Sep/8/2009) ...strange?

This router replaces a Trendnet TEW633-GR model I really liked except for one problem... which I had hoped the TEW639GR would fix.... it didn't. I returned the 633 and kept the 639 ONLY because my cost for 639 was less than 1/2 that of my discounted cost for the 633 model.

Features I miss from my TEW633GR:
variable wireless transmitt power, local computer names, MAC address look-up for DHCP reservations, log file, Streamengine(i.e. QoS), much more advanced router controls, stand for vertical mount, unobstructed antennas motion, Bridge-Mode ...

item is recommended if you can acquire at 40%+ discount although the TEW633GR is clearly a better router.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2010
Verified Purchase
Best wireless router I have used and this is my fifth. I have tried Linksys, D-link, and Zyxel. This was the easiest to set up and I have not had to reboot it in the weeks that I have had it. Addtionally, it is strong enough to stream Netflix on my TV which is about 40" and two walls away. I have purchased many items from Amazon and have always been impressed with their service.
on August 4, 2011
Verified Purchase
I am actually a big fan of TrendNet gear, and all the gigabit switches in my house are their GREENnet series. So I didn't think twice about buying this router especially for the price. However, this router was awful. It would not keep my internet connection alive, random drops all the time that would require a router reboot. The wireless signal was not very good either, my older D-Link DI-524 802.11g Access Point provided much better coverage throughout my house (2-stories with 40x40 footprint). Returned this router (gotta give props to TigerDirect for 100% refund) and bought a D-Link DIR-655 XtremeN which has been so much better. Very disappointed in this router, I do not recommend that you buy it.
on May 17, 2010
Model: 1.0R
Firmware: 1.0.9.161 (latest as of March 2010)

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS ROUTER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR CONNECTION RANDOMLY.

I purchased this router to replace my aging D-Link DGL-4300 and to get Wireless N. The setup was easy and I thought everything was working fine.

About a week later I noticed several link up/link down messages on my local Linux machine. After investigating some more I discovered all the machines on the local network were losing the link at the same time at an interval of about 288,000 seconds (or about 4,800 minutes). At first I didn't think much of it.

Later that week I was dropped from a Skype conference call as I sometimes work from home. Later that week I was dropped from a PC video game I was playing online.

Finally fed up with this very reproducible problem I contacted TrendNET's Helpdesk and opened Ticket # 48066 on 3/15/2010. After speaking to a rep for about a week they agreed to do a replacment of the unit. I got my new unit a week later (another 1.0R) and the EXACT SAME PROBLEM happened with it. Now I know it's no longer a one-off problem. This is either a systemic hardware defect or something wrong in the firmware. I was unable to get confirmation from TrendNET they could reproduce the problem in their lab. Considering it just took 1 Linux machine and 2 days of leaving both units on I didn't think it would be hard to prove or disprove.

I did some googling on the subject and found the following C-Net Article:
(EDIT: Amazon removed the Web link. Google the phrase "Overall, the TEW-639GR performed well in our tests." and it should be the first link.)

"However, it didn't successfully pass our 48-hour stress test, where we set up the router to constantly transmit a large amount of data between different clients for two days. During this time, the router disconnected twice, each time for a few seconds. Though what happened wasn't really bad for most situations, online gamers might get kicked out of the game when this occurs."

So now I had proof this is a known issue with the router. I inform TrendNET of this article and 3rd party confirmation and they still would not confirm or deny the problem. The last update I received on my bug was on 4/5/2010, "Dear Customer, We will report this issue to your product management department for complete investigation into this issue." This is 3 weeks after I opened the bug, told them how to test the problem, showed them external confirmation, and yet as of 5/17/2010 I have no resolution to this issue. The person commenting on the bug told me to switch out all my cables and upgrade my computer drivers. Instead I simply replaced it with my old D-Link 4300 and all the link problems disappeared. Both switches are at gigabit speeds so I'm confident this isn't a cable or driver issue.

I have now noticed on the TrendNET support site there is a version 2 of this hardware. It makes me wonder if this new hardware revision was necessary to fix problems such as mine. I can't confirm if this problem occurs on the 2.0R version because both of my routers were 1.0R.

This router might be useful to you if all you do is browse or write email. If you do anything streaming like Skype, Netflix, Video Games, or download large files I would recommend against this router.
on March 17, 2010
Verified Purchase
This replaces my 6 yr old Wi-G DLink. My objectives for this upgrade were the following:
1. Ease of use & cost effective: Upgrade with quick n easy install, without spending a lot

2. Realiability: I wanted to have something that I can install, configure ONCE & then simply NOT have to fiddle with it again. No recycles/reboots/resets for months at least.

3. Performance: Ability to handle parallel streaming to multiple devices with min. loss of speed. Handle all sorts of media streaming from my DLNA server to Netflix & Vudu HDX streaming (1080p) without hiccups. Plus, wifi signal & speed remain consistent in all rooms, basement, back & front lawns, garage etc. Support at lease 1 GB/s on Wire & 300 Mbps on Wifi so that all of my electronic purchases for home network for next 6 years will take full advantage of these speeds, even if partially helpful today (like improved backup time to my network NAS drive, improved DLNA buffering speed for in home video streaming from my DLNA enabled NAS).

4. Security: Standard ability to setup WPA2 with MAC filtering.

All of the above objectives were met with my new TEW-639. The only surprise was the MAC filtering section of the admin UI interface is much worse than my 6 yr old D Link. as if a 1st year college student put together a quick & dirty web page. The support person was extremely helpful in walking me through using that interface & said that this is due to the underlying chip-set (odd - since when does hardware chip dictate the UI interface - wrong answer but who cares - it is what it is). I was glad that I have to do this once & at least we can use the current connected WiFi Station list to copy/paste the MAC addresses instead of manually keying in (I was prepared for that in advace - I had taken screen-shots from my D-Link). In the end the only draw-back is that when looking at MAC filter settings, I can't make out which MAC is for which device (On D-Link I was able to associate labels). The support guy mentioned that the fancy interface is available on TEW 432 & 452 & not on others.

He gave me a useful link, which I think anyone interested in buying a trendnet router can use in advance to checkout how the router admin works so they don't have any surprises. (...)
Overall very happy with this product. I had ordered Apple's Airport Extreme (...) in-between but the admin utility will not run on my desktop (Win XP & Win 7) and had to return it. Then I was waiting for the new TEW-673 to be available in Feb, but then could not justify that on cost/benefit(...) & Trendnet seems to have delayed the rollout of that device - maybe some last minute glitches.

This router has turned out to work perfectly and has now met ALL of my above objectives.
on August 19, 2010
Verified Purchase
What a headache, 32 days after I got this router (2 days after I could've returned it), I found out that I couldn't VPN with work. If you must get this router, first check that you can. Yes, this router does share out an internet connection wirelessly and applies effective security. What it doesn't do is allow you to fully administer the router with any browser other than Internet Explorer. What it also doesn't do is properly VPN with a Cisco VPN appliance Model 3000. If you're a non-Windows user beware. If you VPN with your work place and you have any amount of considerable security on VPN connections, beware.

I had previous LinkSys and NetGear routers that "just worked" with our workplace VPN, but as soon as I connected this router, my MacBook didn't even show that a connection was attempted the VPN logs at the work place. Plugging directly in to the cable modem did, I definitely diagnosed it as a problem with router preventing PPTP VPN connections. When I contacted their tech support, my experience with this company took a nose dive. They would take 3-7 days at times to respond. I had to remind them that I needed help and to get the lead out. When I wasn't able to flash my firmware, they told me that the unit was defective and to return it and I paid $11 to do so. They told me that the router I'd get in return would have new software on it. Not only was the unit NOT defective, but the unit they returned to me did not have the new software on it. I called in to their tech support (which I'm pretty sure was India or Banglidesh or whatever... not the USA, despite the Americanized names), I escalated through 3 levels of support and was promised a callback + resolution within 24-48 hours which also didn't happen. That's when I figured out (without their help) that the firmware could only be flashed Internet Explorer and I didn't need to return the original router for $11. To add on to the problem, the new firmware didn't fix the VPN issue.

Their tech support either didn't know that you had to have IE to flash the firmware or they only test their administrative web-based software in Internet Explorer, which is scary and narrow-minded.

I told them that I wanted to invoke my warranty because it didn't properly VPN through PPTP like the ad and box says it will. I was pointed at their corporate legaleese that allows them handle this however they want and a cold and unsympathetic "NO." This was 2 months in to the troubleshooting process. So I found some of their higher ups emails and sent a note of appeal over.

They responded with their "Sr. Technology Manager" whose english and/or level of priority prevented him from asking questions that didn't burn up more time or make sense to our Networking guy who is a guru with his masters in computer science.

Another corporate guy over the responded with "I'll try to see if I can get it returned to Amazon, but no promises." Or commitment apparently! They never responded again as to whether or not the return was possible.

The company assumed no accountability or responsibility for the problem this router created for me. They offered no solutions. They didn't care that their product couldn't do what their competitors' products could do or that it couldn't do what it said it could do on the box.

I finally threw in the towel, I was getting nowhere and they were completely comfortable with the problem remaining unresolved. I guess I'm gonna try and sell this thing on Craigslist.

Be very careful with Trendnet. As complexity increased with my problem, the less they cared. They won't care if you're a paying customer, if your problem doesn't fit in to the thin training they give their tech support, you're out of luck and they're indemnified by their well-written corporate policies on warranty invocation.
on January 17, 2010
Verified Purchase
Bought this router because of the good review that appear here. Setup and installed easily. Have 2 wired and 1 wireless computer. Wireless computer has a Dell wireless G board and a D-Link DWA-130C G/N adapter. When it works the range and speed seems pretty good. However when running in N mode the router drops wireless internet connection every 5 to 45 minutes. To get it to work you have to reset something or reboot. When in G mode it can stay connected for up to two hours with both of the adapters. I have to go into the room with the other computers to reset it, a pain when it is doing it every 5 minutes.
Customer support by email is ok but slow. Still have not got a resolution and my patience is shot. I have searched the internet and found other sites that sell this item. The reviews range from 1 to 5 stars. Pretty
many 1 stars, some who are experiencing the same problem I have. Interesting thing is that on some of them the
manufacturer responds.
As soon as I find another brand router and order it, this one is going back to Amazon.
Also the interface wants you to re-enter id like about every 5(?) minutes. Never could figure out how to
forward ports in DHCP mode. Now that it is going back I'm not going to take the time to set up static ips.
Also looking for new N router is tough, most of the popular N routers here have about 15-25% 1 and two star ratings. TREDNnet 300Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router TEW-639GR (Black)
on November 22, 2011
Verified Purchase
This router was sketchy to start with, it would run for nearly a day, then it would need to be unplugged and plugged back in to get a connection. Then it slowly got worse, but I kept blaming my internet provider. Once I finally got them out here they proved it was my router, tried to send it back, but was past my 10 minute return period. MICKEY MOUSE JUNK! Stay away from this! Or good luck if you actually get one that works.........
on June 5, 2011
This router is Version 2. I had version 1 and it worked flawlessly, then we had a bad thunderstorm and apparently not all surge protectors work the same. I lost my cable modem, my router (version 1), and my Vonage device. So, I bought a new Trendnet router. The setup was exactly the same, which likely would not be too easy for a non IT person, but it was fairly easy for me. I noticed my connections were timing out occasionally -- while watching netflix, streaming music to my airport, etc. I assumed it was my Internet connection, but then noticed that my Ipod was also acting strange in that there was a delay connecting to the network each time I turned it on -- and this was not the case before. I started pinging the router, and sure enough, it was dropping pings, and every now and the the connection completely. If you are just using the Internet, you might not notice, but if you are streaming anything (music, video) you will notice almost immediately. I double checked by connecting my computer directly to my cable modem, and there were no more problems. This modem is costing me $15 to ship back and to restock. I bought it on newegg, not amazon, and I am not happy.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations