Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Model: Gigabit|Change

on April 10, 2010
I needed to upgrade my media server (win2k3 home server) and my home theater pc (win7 home premium) to gigabit from their built in 100bt NICs. I couldn't stream large 24gb+ 1080p high def mkv files, the network wasn't fast enough. But i also didn't want to dump a bunch of money into new cards so i checked out these Trendnet cards, i picked them up for 10 bucks each at another store.

These cards install in a regular 32bit PCI slot. Both windows 7 and windows server 2003 recognized and auto-installed the drivers. These cards are based on the Realtek RTL8169 chipset and although my 2003 server had a driver already, i had to download a newer driver from Realtek to get Jumbo Frame support. The windows 7 driver that auto-installed was full featured.

You will want to enable Jumbo Frames to get the most performance out of these cards. Unfortunately the driver only supports jumbo frames up to 7k (rather than 9k), but turning on jumbo frames upped my transfer rate for around 20meg/sec to 40meg/sec. So you'll want to edit your network card config and turn on jumbo frames.

Overall pretty happy with the price/performance ratio of the card. Being based on the budget Realtek chipset, it's not the fastest gigabit card on the market. It is however plenty fast enough to stream 24gb 1080p mkv files between my media server and theater pc, something i couldn't do with the built in 100 meg nics.
99 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2009
Unless I'm doing something wrong, this card is slightly faster than my 100mb/s onboard nic. I copied a 4.7 gb iso file over from my NAS drive using the computer's onboard nic. It avg around 7.5-7.7 mb/sec. Then I installed the pcitxr gigabit card and it definately was faster, but it only went up to about 11mb/sec. I didn't expect 10x improvement, but was hoping for just 2x (think about it, 1000/100=10x).

BTW, I'm running a dlink dgs-2208 gigabit switch between the computer and the nas if that matters.

Update 6/14/10:
The slow speed is due to the dlink NAS drive. I have a dlink 321 and 323. They are both slow and even though they are advertised as NAS with a gigabit interface, it will only average 8-11mb/sec. Some have seen 15mb/sec (I have), but that's not average.

I've been running this nic card for about 1.5 years and it's been reliable. I'm updating the rating from 3 to a 5.

I also noticed someone gave me a thumbs down on this posting saying it was not helpful. Well, I made a mistake and i found out why over a year ago, but I forgot this review until I stumbled upon it today. I guess I deserved that :).. Cheers!
55 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2012
Unless you limit these to 100Mbps in linux using mii-tool, you'll see lots of packet loss (50%+). It's a well documented problem with any RTL-8169 based NIC that I've experienced with multiple of these using high quality category 6 cabling.
on January 27, 2009
I have tried many ethernet cards, and this one is tops. It uses a superior chipset that is now hard to find, but it is highly reliable. Later versions tend to overheat, but not this one. I have several of them, and unlike many other nics, I am happy with all of them. This is clearly another gem from TRENDnet, and I am quickly becoming a fan! You need this card!

Regards,
proclus
[...]
on December 27, 2012
I purchased this card, not paying any attention to the item description in detail thinking I was ordering the TEG-PCITXR not the TEG-PCITXRL. Unlike the Intel and other gigabit controllers I have recently purchased, this item did not include the full height bracket, but instead was fitted only with the low profile bracket.

Now after having this particular card for a couple of months, just figuring I would eat it due to my mistake, I emailed TrendNET tech support offering to buy the full height bracket. Instead they send me the bracket no charge, no questions asked.

Now with that all said and done, here is my assesment of the card.

This card, whether the full height or low profile version, is a basic single port PCI bus based gigabit NIC using the Realtek RTL8169 chipset. Linux (CentOS 6.3 64 bit) sees it right out of the box and configures the correct module without a hiccup. Once configured the kernel module / card negotiate gigabit speeds no problem. File transfers both large files, and small are at the expected speed range.

Windows XP requires the driver from the CD be installed, or better yet, the latest driver from TrendNET be installed. Once installed the driver / card negotiate gigabit speeds no problem. File transfers both large files, and small are at the expected speed range.

Windows 7 installs a Microsoft driver for this card automagically, once your network parameters are set up, things get interesting. The card refuses to auto negotiate gigabit speed on the Auto setting. Manually setting speed / duplex to 1GB / full fixes the issue, until a reboot and you are back where you started. Installing the driver from the included TrendNET CD fixes the problem quickly. Not sure why Microsoft includes a buggy driver, but okay, whatever...

This is an excellent upgrade to older PCs that shipped with onboard 10/100 controllers, and allows me to take full advantage of my gigabit network.
on June 20, 2011
I wanted to be able to get large files to the computer that we use as a media server more quickly. The 12MByte/second transfer rate I got on our 100 Mbit/s cards was OK and more than enough for streaming, but I wanted more speed for copying movies from one computer to the other. Installation was very easy. They just slid into the PCI slots on the two computers, Windows 7 installed the drivers (I didn't use the disk that came with the cards), and I moved my CAT5e cables over to the new cards.
I use an external 2TB USB 3.0 hard drive for storage on the media computer so I am limited by its speed. I now get sustained 50+MB/s transfer rates from computer to computer which is about the same rate I get transferring files locally to that external drive. I don't know if they live up to their 1000Mb/s claim, but they keep up with my external hard drive and I now can transfer at four to six times my old speed.....all for $20 for two computers.
on November 2, 2010
I ordered/received two of these 10/100/1000 NICs (already had one installed in the Frankenstein mid-tower that's almost "completed") to bring all three PCs up to the same network speed (using a DLink Gigabit switch). You should install the software/driver first, then, power down/off, unplug the power cord, if applicable: wait for any LEDs on the motherboard to go out, if applicable: remove existing NIC, find suitable PCI slot, install the new NIC, power up, if applicable: go into BIOS setup to disable onboard NIC, and you're done. I found all three NICs were "tight" to install, i.e., you have to push the board (by its edge) away from the mobo's center towards the mobo's outer edge for the adapter's PCI connector to be aligned and allowed to be pushed into the mobo's PCI slot. I haven't performed any thorough throughput tests but a couple of test copies to/from the "server" resulted in at least 5x-6x improvement from the previous configuration (100 Mbps NICs and 100 Mbps switch). Very happy with the inexpensive upgrades.
on November 19, 2013
i bought this to replace the 10/100 adapter in my vista / debian box when the adapter died. i was in the process of rolling everything over to gigabit on the home network, so the timing was great :) anyways, i noticed a quick gain in speed when transferring from the pc over to my buffalo nas, but not the jump in speed i was hoping for. the pre-installed drivers within vista were outdated, so i grabbed the updated drivers. this gave me access to additional settings, including jumbo frames. i initially set jumbo frames to 7k, but this would cause the nas to drop out. i backed it down to about 4k, and the nas finally started playing along.

i'm not entirely pleased with transfer speeds (about 25MBps max to the nas), but i know the fault isn't with this adapter. my router is also causing a bit of a bottleneck, so upgrading that will improve things even more. i'm giving the adapter five stars because it's very easy to install and set up for basic use. the advanced setup stuff (updating drivers, changing frame size settings, etc) is all easily searchable online, so most people with basic computer knowledge should be able to tweak this adapter for better performance. for the price, this quick and easy upgrade from 10/100 is very much worth it. just make sure to use cat5e (or even higher) ethernet cables too!
This review is of the TRENDnet 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PCI Adapter and not the other 7 network adapters in this listing. FYI.

I got this PCI LAN adapter for a client as part of my IT practice. Their dedicated and very old Dell Optiplex with Windows XP experienced a failure of the integrated LAN interface. The embedded machine control hardware/software made it worthwhile to keep this old box alive.

The Trendnet PCI LAN adapter installed easily and Windows XP drivers were on the CD and easily installed. In less than a half hour the old box was talking to their file server and running the process machinery. Newer operating system will likely already have drivers for this gigabit LAN card built-in.

As a replacement network interface or to add a dedicated port for a virtual machine or an upgrade from an old 10/100 LAN interface this Trendnet PCI adapter does its job well and is very simple to install.

It helped my client out of a jam. I've used these cards with other clients too. They have just worked and that makes everyone happy. 5 Stars for the Trendnet 10/100/1000 PCI LAN adapter.
on January 9, 2011
Installed with Windows 7 perfectly - as others have mentioned, if you have Windows 7, don't use the CD that comes with the card. Windows 7 supports the Realtek chipset out of the box. Also, if you have trouble getting 1000Mbs with this (or any other network adapter) remember to check your network cable. Substandard cables may cause your PC/router/switch to auto negotiate 100Mbs instead of gigabit.