Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Capacity: 4-Port PoEModel: Unmanaged 10/100Change

on April 7, 2010
This switch works but it only can provide a total of 30w or 7.5w per port. This was not enough for my needs so I ended up returning it. Kudos to Amazons simple return.

I just ordered the TP-Link TL-SF1008P, also from Amazon, for $10 less and it reportedly supports 53w total or about 13w per port. I haven't tried it yet but we will see.
44 comments44 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2009
I'm using this to power 4 Panasonic BB-HCM531A outdoor networked security cameras from the PoE ports. I also have a laptop connected to it running security recorder software. It's connected to my home network running perfectly, passing the video data streams from the cameras. It's on 24/7 and doesn't run hot. I like the metal case, compact size, status indicator LEDs on the front, and the generous cord length supplied on the external power adapter. The current price is quite good when compared to other PoE capable switches available on the market.
55 comments28 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2010
For the price this switch is hard to beat. I have it powering 4 security cameras and have been very happy with it. The only thing that could be improved is offering PoE on all 8 ports vs. only 4.
22 comments11 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2010
I ordered 3 of these switches about 2 years ago. Two were put into production and a third was kept as a backup. A little less than 6 months later, one died, so I put the backup into production. About a week later, the second one installed died, leaving me without a backup. I put a different Cisco switch in to replace the second dead one. About 4 months later the 3rd one I installed that was the original backup died. I sent all 3 back to TrendNet and received replacements. One went back into production (my mistake), and a second one was put into the rack and powered on, but I didn't plug any phones into it. Almost exactly 6 months later, both died *AGAIN*, and now today the 6th one (installed in a secondary location) just died with the exact same problem.

I can't imagine I received 6 faulty switches with the exact same symptoms, and the problem is obviously not caused by the phones, since I had the same trouble on a switch with no equipment attached to it. When these die, all the lights light up on the front and network traffic is no longer processed. The power portion still works, as the phones still light up, but no data is transferred. No matter how many times I cycle power or reset the device, I can't get it to work anymore. My recommendation would be to spend a little extra money and get a Linksys or Netgear switch.
44 comments9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 27, 2014
After researching many different PoE switches to power a group of Foscam cameras and other PoE devices on our home network, I finally went with the TRENDnet TPE-S44. I bought two of the switches, one for the home office area and one for the wiring closet where we have the panel feeding to the exterior cameras. At the camera end, I purchased LevelOne POS-1002 PoE Splitters to split the data and power signals to feed the cameras. After a couple days, one of the cameras (the third of three cameras plugged into the switch) became intermittent. Port three would no longer have three green LEDs but would have one red LED. Thinking the port might be bad, I switched the camera to port four only to have the problem reoccur the next day. Next, I swapped the switches between the home office and wiring closet to see if it was that particular switch that was defective. Again, after a day or so, the problem would reoccur. No matter which order the three cameras were plugged into the switch, it was always the last camera that was plugged in that would eventually fail to receive power as ports 1 and 2 never dropped power. I tried two other brands of PoE splitters at the other end to see if that resolved the problem to no avail. Finally, I bought a separate PoE injector to power the third camera, now plugging that into one of the non-PoE ports (ports 5-8) of the switch. Overall the switch works great but it does not appear to have enough power to reliably power all of the devices I needed it to.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Mike,

I am curious if the working LevelOne POS-1002 splitters on port 1 and 2 are working on the port 3 regardless home or closet TPE-S44 is used. Please email me directly at adrian@trendnet.com with "Amazon TPE-S44 review" in the subject line ASAP and I will respond immediately to assist. I look forward to your reply soon.

Warmest regards,

Adrian
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 3, 2014
I have been using this POE for about 18 months for my Logitech Alert Security Camera's. POE consumption was rated 30W so, I did my math, 4 POE X 7W, I should be good.

When it was new: It was able to manage 3 camera's without problems. The 4th one is on and off (getting maxed out). So, the actual rating is (guessing) fluctuating between 25 - 30W. Reliability for 3 camera's - 95%.

6 Months later: The 3rd camera started giving me the problems. I have a new spare camera which I deployed to test it out. Same issue. So, 2 Camera's were reliable and the 3rd one is on and off, meaning the wattage dropped to below 20. I couldn't make the 4th one work. Reliability of the first 2 camera's : 90%

18 Months later: Only one camera is working. Reliability of one camera - 75%. Time to replace.

The non-poe outlets are working fine.

Summary: I would still recommend this unit for a low consumption equipment's (<5W each and max 2 units), keeping in view of its price.

Learned the lessons, you can't push any poe to it's limits. The next POE, I would make sure to stay below 50% of its rated Wattage.

01/14/2014 - Update (2 Weeks after the above review): Did more experiments and found that one of the switch is defective and impacting others when I use it. Avoided this switch and have been using the other 3. All 3 are up and stable so far.
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello,

I apologize for the overall frustration this has caused you. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at adrian@trendnet.com if you have any questions or need further assistance. Thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable to us and helps us gain more knowledge on how to improve.

Please also include a link to this review in your email.

Warm Regards,
Adrian
TRENDnet Support Team
www.trendnet.com/support
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 8, 2014
We purchase the Trendnet switch as we needed a switch that had POE capabilities for a security camera system setup that is using a combination of wired and wireless connections. Our setup consists of 4 Samsung SNO-6084RN outdoor networked security cameras (3 bullet, 1 dome) in multiple building locations connected through the POE ports. We later added a Samsung zoom as well as part of the setup.

We are using a computer workstation connected to it using security recorder software (Milestone Essential). There have been no issues connected to my home network and so far has been running perfectly, forwarding the video data streams from the cameras on 24/7. It seems durable, has a compact size, and status indicator LEDs on the front. We are using this along with a TP-link for a secondary location (similarly priced) with no issues. The price at 50 bucks or so is fairly reasonable.
on June 1, 2009
This was purchased to be the central hub of a IP camera security system. Configuring it was dirt simple once you got an IP address on it. Out of the box its on the 192.168.0 subnet and it doesn't do DHCP initially which means you need to move it over to something other than your normal environment long enough to set it up. Once there, set up is a snap. The POE functions are nice with a power draw screen allowing you to figure your budget. Its running 12 Toshiba IK15A cameras without issues and the gig uplinks (there are 4 yay!) appear fully able to inter-operate with my server (using IBM cards) and a somewhat not standards compliant apple airport used for individual camera setup. I didn't test out the vlan tagging functions as they were not needed in my application. As far as port control, cloning etc. all the normal knobs and control rods one would expect seem to exist.

The only real complaint I've got is the fans. Not that its loud or anything, but if you had this next to you and were watching a 777 take off, you'd not hear the plane over the roar of the cooling system. It does not appear to be moving massive amounts of air, so no worries about it sucking in the cat or anything, Its just that unless you are racking Cummings 6bt tractor engines; its likely this will be the loudest thing in your rack by a wide margin.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2012
My review title pretty much sums it up. Right now I'm using this to power two POE cameras that use 6.5w of power each. The TRENDnet switch will power up to four cameras, plus has four additional ports for other devices. Here's my current setup so you can get an idea based on what you're using:

-Desktop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium
-Linksys WRG54G2 router
-TRENDnet 8 port POE switch
-2 POE cameras

Setup was super easy. I installed the switch and plugged it into my existing router. The Ethernet cables I ran for the two cameras came down to a wall jack, which I then ran patch cords from the wall to the powered ports on the switch. It was plug-n-play, everything came right up with no issues.

It's been running 24-7 for almost a month now without a hiccup, so hopefully I'll continue to have good success with this switch and setup. Plans are to add two more cameras in the future.

On a side note I'm using VitaminD software to monitor the cameras. I am mostly happy with it, with a few minor gripes but that's another review for another day.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2013
This is an 8 Port switch that has 4 Power Over Ethernet ports (POE). POE supplies power to network devices which support POE, allowing you to forgo the electrical connection for the far end device.

This unit is now up and running 4 network cameras on the 4 POE ports and a NAS on one of the other ports. All in all it has been trouble free and dependable. Due to my installation location, I needed a reliable dependable device and so far no worries.

The price point is very good, being a good quality switch for a good price.

One Caveat:
Depending on your network and future growth, you may want to consider a higher speed switch, such as those having 1GB ports.
If your network supports GB speeds, then I would consider a higher speed switch but those also come with a higher price tag.

The TRENDnet8 gets the job done and is very affordable.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse