Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

Capacity: 4-Port PoE|Model: Unmanaged 10/100|Change

on April 7, 2010
This switch works but it only can provide a total of 30w or 7.5w per port. This was not enough for my needs so I ended up returning it. Kudos to Amazons simple return.

I just ordered the TP-Link TL-SF1008P, also from Amazon, for $10 less and it reportedly supports 53w total or about 13w per port. I haven't tried it yet but we will see.
44 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2009
I'm using this to power 4 Panasonic BB-HCM531A outdoor networked security cameras from the PoE ports. I also have a laptop connected to it running security recorder software. It's connected to my home network running perfectly, passing the video data streams from the cameras. It's on 24/7 and doesn't run hot. I like the metal case, compact size, status indicator LEDs on the front, and the generous cord length supplied on the external power adapter. The current price is quite good when compared to other PoE capable switches available on the market.
55 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2010
For the price this switch is hard to beat. I have it powering 4 security cameras and have been very happy with it. The only thing that could be improved is offering PoE on all 8 ports vs. only 4.
on February 26, 2010
I ordered 3 of these switches about 2 years ago. Two were put into production and a third was kept as a backup. A little less than 6 months later, one died, so I put the backup into production. About a week later, the second one installed died, leaving me without a backup. I put a different Cisco switch in to replace the second dead one. About 4 months later the 3rd one I installed that was the original backup died. I sent all 3 back to TrendNet and received replacements. One went back into production (my mistake), and a second one was put into the rack and powered on, but I didn't plug any phones into it. Almost exactly 6 months later, both died *AGAIN*, and now today the 6th one (installed in a secondary location) just died with the exact same problem.

I can't imagine I received 6 faulty switches with the exact same symptoms, and the problem is obviously not caused by the phones, since I had the same trouble on a switch with no equipment attached to it. When these die, all the lights light up on the front and network traffic is no longer processed. The power portion still works, as the phones still light up, but no data is transferred. No matter how many times I cycle power or reset the device, I can't get it to work anymore. My recommendation would be to spend a little extra money and get a Linksys or Netgear switch.
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 27, 2014
After researching many different PoE switches to power a group of Foscam cameras and other PoE devices on our home network, I finally went with the TRENDnet TPE-S44. I bought two of the switches, one for the home office area and one for the wiring closet where we have the panel feeding to the exterior cameras. At the camera end, I purchased LevelOne POS-1002 PoE Splitters to split the data and power signals to feed the cameras. After a couple days, one of the cameras (the third of three cameras plugged into the switch) became intermittent. Port three would no longer have three green LEDs but would have one red LED. Thinking the port might be bad, I switched the camera to port four only to have the problem reoccur the next day. Next, I swapped the switches between the home office and wiring closet to see if it was that particular switch that was defective. Again, after a day or so, the problem would reoccur. No matter which order the three cameras were plugged into the switch, it was always the last camera that was plugged in that would eventually fail to receive power as ports 1 and 2 never dropped power. I tried two other brands of PoE splitters at the other end to see if that resolved the problem to no avail. Finally, I bought a separate PoE injector to power the third camera, now plugging that into one of the non-PoE ports (ports 5-8) of the switch. Overall the switch works great but it does not appear to have enough power to reliably power all of the devices I needed it to.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Mike,

I am curious if the working LevelOne POS-1002 splitters on port 1 and 2 are working on the port 3 regardless home or closet TPE-S44 is used. Please email me directly at adrian@trendnet.com with "Amazon TPE-S44 review" in the subject line ASAP and I will respond immediately to assist. I look forward to your reply soon.

Warmest regards,

Adrian
on January 30, 2016
I have 2 of these units in full-time service as part of my Surveillance system. The IP cameras I have are able to use Power Over Ethernet (POE), witch saves running an additional power line to each camera. This is an 8 port switch, although only 4 of the ports are powered for POE. This is typical for the breed and I assume has something to do with how much power can be provided by any single unit without an overload problem.

These unmanaged POE switches have been in servie for the last 2 months without any issue. I can recommend this product for POE applications similar to mine without reservation.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 3, 2014
I have been using this POE for about 18 months for my Logitech Alert Security Camera's. POE consumption was rated 30W so, I did my math, 4 POE X 7W, I should be good.

When it was new: It was able to manage 3 camera's without problems. The 4th one is on and off (getting maxed out). So, the actual rating is (guessing) fluctuating between 25 - 30W. Reliability for 3 camera's - 95%.

6 Months later: The 3rd camera started giving me the problems. I have a new spare camera which I deployed to test it out. Same issue. So, 2 Camera's were reliable and the 3rd one is on and off, meaning the wattage dropped to below 20. I couldn't make the 4th one work. Reliability of the first 2 camera's : 90%

18 Months later: Only one camera is working. Reliability of one camera - 75%. Time to replace.

The non-poe outlets are working fine.

Summary: I would still recommend this unit for a low consumption equipment's (<5W each and max 2 units), keeping in view of its price.

Learned the lessons, you can't push any poe to it's limits. The next POE, I would make sure to stay below 50% of its rated Wattage.

01/14/2014 - Update (2 Weeks after the above review): Did more experiments and found that one of the switch is defective and impacting others when I use it. Avoided this switch and have been using the other 3. All 3 are up and stable so far.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello,

I apologize for the overall frustration this has caused you. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at adrian@trendnet.com if you have any questions or need further assistance. Thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable to us and helps us gain more knowledge on how to improve.

Please also include a link to this review in your email.

Warm Regards,
Adrian
TRENDnet Support Team
www.trendnet.com/support
on September 10, 2013
This is an 8 Port switch that has 4 Power Over Ethernet ports (POE). POE supplies power to network devices which support POE, allowing you to forgo the electrical connection for the far end device.

This unit is now up and running 4 network cameras on the 4 POE ports and a NAS on one of the other ports. All in all it has been trouble free and dependable. Due to my installation location, I needed a reliable dependable device and so far no worries.

The price point is very good, being a good quality switch for a good price.

One Caveat:
Depending on your network and future growth, you may want to consider a higher speed switch, such as those having 1GB ports.
If your network supports GB speeds, then I would consider a higher speed switch but those also come with a higher price tag.

The TRENDnet8 gets the job done and is very affordable.
on August 3, 2013
I am powering an IP camera with this. This unit does exactly what I expected--has 4 PoE ports that seem to work, and 4 non-PoE ports for other network connections.
This is an unmanaged switch, so there really is no need for directions. The PoE ports are clearly labeled as such. There are indicator lights on the front of it, so if you are placing it in a living area and the lights will bother you, then you may have a problem. I have been using it for about a week and there are no issues. I have several PC's and a printer hooked up to it as well.
If you are considering a PoE switch, you probably know that the there are DC power limitations and the length of your network cables matters in terms of getting your PoE device to work over the wire, and also in terms of how much power gets wasted in the wire.
For the price, I am happy with this unit.
on July 2, 2015
Does what it needs to without any issues. We have this serving a dual role: Powering two cameras in an outdoor NEMA enclosure, and acting as a way to get cut an otherwise 500 ft run in half. Nothing fancy, but it didn't need to be.