5.0 out of 5 stars Competative Price, Comact Size, Works Perfectly!
Published on November 11, 2009 by Gyropilot

3.0 out of 5 stars Underpowered
This switch works but it only can provide a total of 30w or 7.5w per port. This was not enough for my needs so I ended up returning it. Kudos to Amazons simple return.

I just ordered the TP-Link TL-SF1008P, also from Amazon, for $10 less and it reportedly supports 53w total or about 13w per port. I haven't tried it yet but we will see.
Published on April 7, 2010 by Mmmm Steak

3.0 out of 5 stars Underpowered, April 7, 2010
This review is from: TRENDnet 8-Port 10/100Mbps PoE Switch (4x 10/100, 4x 10/100 PoE) TPE-S44 (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Competative Price, Comact Size, Works Perfectly!, November 11, 2009
Gyropilot (Seaview, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm using this to power 4 Panasonic BB-HCM531A outdoor networked security cameras from the PoE ports. I also have a laptop connected to it running security recorder software. It's connected to my home network running perfectly, passing the video data streams from the cameras. It's on 24/7 and doesn't run hot. I like the metal case, compact size, status indicator LEDs on the front, and the generous cord length supplied on the external power adapter. The current price is quite good when compared to other PoE capable switches available on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good budget PoE enabled switch, February 7, 2010
Digital Donkey (Northern California) - See all my reviews
For the price this switch is hard to beat. I have it powering 4 security cameras and have been very happy with it. The only thing that could be improved is offering PoE on all 8 ports vs. only 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works good for 6 months, then dies, February 26, 2010
I ordered 3 of these switches about 2 years ago. Two were put into production and a third was kept as a backup. A little less than 6 months later, one died, so I put the backup into production. About a week later, the second one installed died, leaving me without a backup. I put a different Cisco switch in to replace the second dead one. About 4 months later the 3rd one I installed that was the original backup died. I sent all 3 back to TrendNet and received replacements. One went back into production (my mistake), and a second one was put into the rack and powered on, but I didn't plug any phones into it. Almost exactly 6 months later, both died *AGAIN*, and now today the 6th one (installed in a secondary location) just died with the exact same problem.

I can't imagine I received 6 faulty switches with the exact same symptoms, and the problem is obviously not caused by the phones, since I had the same trouble on a switch with no equipment attached to it. When these die, all the lights light up on the front and network traffic is no longer processed. The power portion still works, as the phones still light up, but no data is transferred. No matter how many times I cycle power or reset the device, I can't get it to work anymore. My recommendation would be to spend a little extra money and get a Linksys or Netgear switch.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd replacement switch still has the shrink wrap on it, July 5, 2010
I bought this product because I wanted POE capability for my new IP phone system. It worked great for about 7 months then all of a sudden died. After talking at length with the phone technicians I got an RMA from the manufacturer but I still had to return the box at MY OWN expense. I received the replacement 10 days later. For 6 months or so, switch # 2 worked fine then all of a sudden, it also died. It's not like we were riding it very hard; we only used a fraction of the available ports. As before, I had to send it back to TrendNet AT MY OWN EXPENSE. While waiting for the replacement switch to arrive, I decided that I really didn't need POE and could make do with a lot fewer ports. I bought a nice little workhorse switch from the local office supply store and it works flawlessly. TrendNet switch # 3 is still in its original packaging in a little-used corner of the server room.

I considered sending this to my company's remote office which has a very small network of only 3 PCs and 1 phone currently serviced by a cheapo SOHO router. I decided against it because I simply can't justify the expense of flying out to Chicago to sort out the mess when the thing dies again.

I cannot recommend this product to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for security cameras, February 8, 2014
We purchase the Trendnet switch as we needed a switch that had POE capabilities for a security camera system setup that is using a combination of wired and wireless connections. Our setup consists of 4 Samsung SNO-6084RN outdoor networked security cameras (3 bullet, 1 dome) in multiple building locations connected through the POE ports. We later added a Samsung zoom as well as part of the setup.

We are using a computer workstation connected to it using security recorder software (Milestone Essential). There have been no issues connected to my home network and so far has been running perfectly, forwarding the video data streams from the cameras on 24/7. It seems durable, has a compact size, and status indicator LEDs on the front. We are using this along with a TP-link for a secondary location (similarly priced) with no issues. The price at 50 bucks or so is fairly reasonable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Burned out within a couple minutes of being plugged in, April 13, 2012
Got the device. Plugged it in. Fans were extremely loud. Connected a POE camera. Within a couple minutes it shut off never to turn on again, no matter what was tried. I returned it immediately and purchased the Netgear FS726TP 24 port switch. Plugged the replacement switch in and left it running with POE cameras attached. Thus far, no problems with the Netgear switch and it is pretty quiet. Amazon was timely and professional with handling the return.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal, June 1, 2009
This was purchased to be the central hub of a IP camera security system. Configuring it was dirt simple once you got an IP address on it. Out of the box its on the 192.168.0 subnet and it doesn't do DHCP initially which means you need to move it over to something other than your normal environment long enough to set it up. Once there, set up is a snap. The POE functions are nice with a power draw screen allowing you to figure your budget. Its running 12 Toshiba IK15A cameras without issues and the gig uplinks (there are 4 yay!) appear fully able to inter-operate with my server (using IBM cards) and a somewhat not standards compliant apple airport used for individual camera setup. I didn't test out the vlan tagging functions as they were not needed in my application. As far as port control, cloning etc. all the normal knobs and control rods one would expect seem to exist.

The only real complaint I've got is the fans. Not that its loud or anything, but if you had this next to you and were watching a 777 take off, you'd not hear the plane over the roar of the cooling system. It does not appear to be moving massive amounts of air, so no worries about it sucking in the cat or anything, Its just that unless you are racking Cummings 6bt tractor engines; its likely this will be the loudest thing in your rack by a wide margin.

5.0 out of 5 stars TrendNet TPE-S44 PoE switch works as described, August 30, 2010
Purchased this TrendNet TPE-S44 specifically for the 4-Port switch that is PoE enabled. Although I am a little disappointed that the ports are only 10/100 Mbps (the Gigabit version costs a ton more money), I am impressed that the 4 PoE ports handled my PoE capable devices without any issues. The metal-cased switch even as a LED indicator on the front when the switch detects 7.5W of power of less available. This simply indicated there is an overload of the power draw. I am starting to be a big fan of TrendNet products after recently purchasing 3 5-port Gigabit (TEG-G50G) switches. The metal casing in all of these products is a nice touch.

Anyway, because of the low costs of this PoE switch, I went ahead and purchased 3 additional/identical switches to expand my home network of PoE devices. You cannot go wrong with this brand or switch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not have a sufficient internal buffer, October 8, 2011
This switch works well. The POE ports were sufficient to power more than one camera. It is reliable and powerful enough for my needs.

Perhaps the only problem with it is the lack of an internal buffer. This is critical in the case of IP cameras in some applications.

I ended up buying another 8-port POE product also from TrendNET which did the job wonderfully but is order-of-magnitude more expensive.