Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The TEW-712BR - N150 Open Source version is an entry level router with 150mbps single channel wireless N speed. It is also *very* inexpensive.

The LAN and WAN ports are all just 10/100. This isn't for power users. This is a good upgrade for an older wireless G router when you have modest needs for speed and better range.

The unit I got was tried for just that purpose. It replaced an old Linksys 54Mbps Wireless G router to improve range and streaming performance to a smart Sharp Aquios TV. I had used my iPhone 4S and laptop with the old wireless router so I had a basis for comparison. I was a little surprised by the results.

When I set it up I configured it manually. First thing I did is upgrade to the latest firmware. The process was simple and easy. I setup the time zone and to automatically get the time from north-america.pool.ntp.org (the public pool of North American time servers).

I setup the TEW-712BR with the same wireless settings as the old Linksys for encryption (WPA), SSID and wireless key. Everything connected without problem. The laptop got a lot better and more reliable signal at the farther reaches of the house. The TV connected and worked better too!

It appears the DSL provider in Maine has some issues with intermittent pauses of traffic lasting a few seconds that hurts streaming and give occasional choppy web browsing experience. This is exactly the same as with the older router so I doubt this is a TEW-712BR issue.

What caught me by surprise is how poorly the iPhone 4S operated with the wireless. It connected but the signal strength varies from zero (disconnect) to max. This is while it was sitting on the table. I don't know why this happened. I had not had this problem with the iPhone before connecting to wireless. I believe the 4S is wireless G only. I tried forgetting the network in the iPhone and then setting it up again, but no change. FYI.

This is a basic router. No real firewall functions or VPN endpoint support. It has some gaming support, port forwarding, and DMZ. Not a lot else beyond the basic wireless router functions. It's a good choice for basic routing where you don't need the fancier stuff.

I have become a fan of Trendnet professional products. Switches, wireless access point, power over Ethernet products. Except for the weird experience with the iPhone wireless I'd give this 5 stars. I think it does everything it's supposed to do. It's simple and seems reliable and a good value proposition.

Update 3-Dec-2013:

Since the latest firmware update for the iPhone the previous issue with strange connection behavior is gone. I have Solid iPhone connections now. This has been an excellent entry router for a very very low price.
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This wireless router is very easy to set up. The quick start directions are fairly accurate. However, there may be an extra step. I suggest you use this procedure for the least trouble:

1. Do NOT connect to your cable modem, etc. Skip this step for now.
2. Connect the wireless router with a cable to your computer.
3. Plug the router in
4. (this is important) turn on, reboot, your computer.
5. Try opening a browser set to the address given in the quick start guide.
If that doesn't work:
Go to control panel and select network connections. Select a new device (you will see TEW-71BR in the window of devices). If Windows asks you for a password, look on the label under the router. There, in very small type (on the right) you will see "Password" and an 8-digit number. Enter that in the Windows box. Click "Next", enter a password for your wifi, and you should be done.

You can set up all the standard stuff from your browser. When you have finished, disconnect the router, unplug it, and now follow the setup instructions (connecting to your internet modem).

This device is fairly foolproof. There is one issue, at least for me: This router is only 100mb bandwidth. That's fine for most people, but I expected this unit to be a gigabit router (that's 1000mb). My home network is all 1gb, so I would be slowing things down with this unit.

YOU SHOULD KNOW:
This is a very basic unit. It doesn't have the more advanced security of more expensive units.
It is only 100mb network bandwidth. If you have a gigabit network, do not buy this.
Take your time with setup and you will have no problem.

IN SUMMARY
the Trendnet N150 is an inexpensive imported product. It is probably fine for most people, but if you have a fast home network, this unit will slow you down. The price is right. It works and has all the standard router features. If you have a 100mb network, this unit is fine.
on December 6, 2012
This Atheros SOC is superb. The included firmware is a bit sparse.

The system is rock solid running OpenWRT AttitudeAdjustment. You can find a pre-built firmware with LuCI WebUI in the thread below:

[...](Search the DD-WRT forum for t=165450)

I calculate this router will cost me less than $1/year power cost at an average of 0.8 watts.
on June 22, 2014
This router started off well until a couple weeks into operation when it started shutting off wireless function for no reason at all. I always had to restart it when I got home from work in order to have wireless. Several checks in the settings which I didn't tamper with much in the first place proved futile as to the cause of the wireless daily shutdown. The strange thing is that a got me the 300 MBPS to replace it and it works fine. Maybe there was something wrong with the hardware or firmware but not being a techie, this was beyond my competence to investigate.
Hi Drew,

I apologize for the overall frustration this has caused you. Please contact me directly at adrian@trendnet.com so we can resolve this as soon as possible. Thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable to us and helps us gain more knowledge on how to improve.

Please also include a link to this review in your email.

Adrian
TRENDnet Support Team
www.trendnet.com/support
VINE VOICEon December 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an ENTRY LEVEL access point.

Here's a perfect audience for them: an older couple whose Cable modem is in an upstairs office, but want a laptop or tablet for the livingroom. Most access is email or sites like NYTimes.com.

Wrong audience: large family, lots of devices, wired and wireless, frequent streaming video consumers.

If you have one or two devices, and are purely wireless in your home (Not office) or you are on old equipment and only have 100MB network cards (unlikely, any more) then this will be OK.

However, if you computer/laptop/tablet/etc has high speed ethernet or you have lots of devices at home (computers, phones, tablets, TVs) then get a better unit.
Hi Stephen ,

I apologize for the overall frustration this has caused. Please email me directly at adrian@trendnet.com with ""Amazon TEW-712BR Review"" in the subject line and I will be able to assist you immediately. Thank you for reviewing our product and I hope to hear from you soon to regain your faith in TRENDnet.

Adrian TRENDnet Support Team
VINE VOICEon December 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The "TRENDnet N150 Wireless Router (TEW-712BR)" is an inexpensive entry level router designed for those who live in apartments or smaller sized homes with moderate internet usage (online gaming, internet calls, video streaming etc.). Here are my thoughts;

Pros

+ Easy to setup.

+ Open Source (although currently there's no DD-WRT firmware for it).

+ Green-net Power Savings technology can save up to 50% on power consumption.

+ Inexpensive.

Cons

- Short Range.

- No Gigabite Ethernet.

Our home is a medium sized 3-level townhome so we use the "TRENDnet N150 Wireless Router (TEW-712BR)" as a secondary wireless extender for the upper level floor of the house. The step by step instructions made the set up very easy and it was ready to go in just minutes. Perhaps the best thing about this router is the low price. For $20 you really can't go wrong with the "TRENDnet N150 Wireless Router (TEW-712BR)."
on December 19, 2013
I spend too much of my life being frugal. For something as important as Wi-fi, do not cheap out and get this. Maybe buy it for a family member that lives in a 500 sq. ft. home and does not use internet frequently.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Hi Treebeard,

We deeply apologize for all the frustration this caused you. Thanks for taking the time to review our product. Please don't hesitate to contact me at adrian@trendnet.com, please reference "Amazon TEW-712BR Review" if you have any questions or concerns. We are here for you and aim to make every customer experience satisfactory.

Adrian
TRENDnet Sales Support Team
on August 10, 2013
This product came quickly, works perfectly, and installed easily.

What else do you want? It won't make you coffee or dance but it'll get you on the internet from a wireless device so. . well done TRENDnet.
VINE VOICEon April 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I originally picked up the TRENDnet N150 to work as an extension to parts of my house where my family was having trouble getting a good signal. However, when my wi-fi network as a whole began to become troublesome, this little router came to the rescue. After spending days configuring, reconfiguring, diagnosing, using bigger fancier routers, calling the internet provider, and more troubleshooting, it was when I hooked up this router that suddenly I was getting smooth reliable wi-fi streaming and no more hiccups with the Internet connection via cable or Wi-Fi.

Streaming Netflix over Wi-Fi has been near flawless on all my devices. Very occasional buffering will happen but nothing longer than a few seconds.

Streaming Amazon Prime over Wi-Fi has also been near flawless as well.

I'm grateful for this Trendnet router. It's great to have reliable internet service again. Surprising that the router is as inexpensive as it is.
on November 30, 2013
This is a simple and easy to set up WLAN. Great range through-out house with coverage on second floor as well. Perhaps not as powerfull as other units (reaching outside house) but would rather not "broadcast" beyond such anyway. Great value.