4.0 out of 5 stars Camera works well but the Software is dreadful!
First and foremost I have been using this camera for only 2 weeks, so I do not claim to be an expert with this item just yet.

Pros:
1) The camera image quality is amazing, it delivers vivid images that can be tweaked in the IE firmware/software and in Trendnet 2.0 software that is supplied.

2) The 2 way audio from the built in microphone is also...
Published on July 30, 2009 by J. Defreitas

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor documentation, poor software, false advertising
Published on January 13, 2010 by DZRhino

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor documentation, poor software, false advertising, January 13, 2010
This review is from: TRENDnet ProView Wireless N  Network Surveillance Camera, TV-IP512WN (White) (Electronics)
I purchased this IP Camera to replace a Trendnet Internet Camera that a customer of mine had been using for several years. The old camera had many drawbacks, but it was cheap and did the job. The application is allowing members at a tennis club to monitor the courts to see if they are dry or wet and if all the courts are in use. Note that I am a very technical person, so this should have been a 10 minute install.

After spending several days trying to setup this IP Camera per the instructions that came with it and trying to use the online customer support, I finally called the support line. According to Trendnet customer support people that I spoke with on the telephone:

1) Couldn't get the camera to work viewing the courts as sunlight would completely wash out the picture. After a back and forth with the email support people learned that you had to update to the latest firmware to set the camera environment to "Outdoor". After doing that, the camera could handle the light, but the colors were way off: black was purple, some greens were black, everything was off. According to support, this camera is intended only for inside use, that is why the colors are off. In testing we found that the colors are off inside as well as outside no matter what setting you select. On the box there are pictures showing outdoor scenes with perfect color, a baby with really nice pink skin, etc.. None of these pictures could possibly be from this IP Camera.

2) This camera requires authorization and is a "closed" system. There is no way to utilize it as an open webcam.
In further testing we found that support of MS IE8 is poor and they apparently never tested with Safari. By utilizing Firefox and switching the rendering engine to IE all features work. The only way to get a consistent image is to use JPEG. The software has script errors that appear in loading on IE8 and if a guest user clicks on any selections on the left side it crashes.

More observations after using the camera for several days:

Error messages are in broken English:
IP Camera has been reboot, please wait for 0 seconds ...
Inaccurate error messages:
"This browser doesn't support or disable Java JRE ." (Firefox browser with latest JRE installed and enabled)

If you click on the wrong area, the Trendnet script breaks and takes down the browser.

Imaging is acceptable at 640x480 as long as you don't need accurate colors. Has 16x digital zoom that is useless past 4x due to pixalization, and zooming will freeze the browser if you go all the way to 16x. JPEG imaging won't work in IE8 at all. MPEG imaging only works in IE rendering engine as requires ActiveX component, but fails repeatedly under IE8. MPEG imaging works in Firefox if you select alternate rendering engine (IE). JPEG imaging works in Firefox and Chrome, but still crashes if wrong area selected. Support claimed wasn't their fault as they "didn't write the software." Excuse me, who is selling and delivering this product?

When I took the still picture attached, it froze the main screen and I had to shut down the browser to recover - really bad behavior on the part of the application. Poor code writing is evident throughout.

None of the shortcomings are documented in the Trendnet Datasheet (inside use only, authorization required.) Just the opposite, you would believe that the camera can be used for almost any application AND they offer an outside enclosure for the camera.

I cannot recommend this product to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camera works well but the Software is dreadful!, July 30, 2009

Pros:

2) The 2 way audio from the built in microphone is also very good, although most of the time I turn it off because it picks up more of my own conversations than I care for.

3) The camera can be used outdoors, but you will need to buy a Camera Enclosure to protect it and have a near by power source, you can purchase a CE off of e-Bay for $40.

4) You can monitor your home/office anywhere you want from anywhere in the world.

Cons:

1) I had to contact tech support 4 times to try and understand their convoluted software. The software is very confusing, and I have worked with some of the most complicated software ever produced.

2) The tech support Trendnet has contracted are all from India, so they all have really thick accents, so often you are having to ask them 2 and 3 times to repeat themselves so that you can hear their instructions once, this is very frustrating but sadly par for the course.

3) For my particular usage I wanted to record all the time, so I purchased a 500GB hard drive and named it my surveillance HDD with the sole intent of just monitoring my home. Their IPView Pro 2.0 software supplied with the disc is out of date, a new version must be downloaded from their website. Sadly the new IPView Pro 2.0 software version is plagued with bugs, I wanted to record continuously, but it will only record for one day then it shuts the camera off. It says I have no more space allowed for allocating new recordings, but I have a 500 GB drive with less than 2% used for a 24 hour recording! Eventually out of frustration I went back to the firmware/software supplied by logging into the camera's IP address and now I have it recording all the time, but it will only record in 1 minute increments, but it records continuously. This could be a pain if you want to locate an event that occurred sometime over night and I have to make a new file for each new day and move last nights recording over to it by hand, EVERY DAY!

4) I have not figured out how to get the IE software or IP Pro software to only record when it detects motion as the box claims it can do, if it could do this then big hard drives wouldn't be needed.

I will update my findings on this camera in the next 3 weeks, and if Trendnet decides wisely to put out another software update that fixes this space allocation issue with the 2.0 software for continuous recording then I might well shift my 4 stars to 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, but use different software, September 8, 2012
I have six of these cameras, and although they're not my best cameras, they do their job well. Like many people have stated, these don't have an IR cut filter, so sometimes the grass will be white, anything black will be purple, etc. My cameras didn't have this problem until after a few months of usage, and only three of the six do it.

I have two of them outdoors, one in a heated/cooled enclosure, and another on my porch shielded from rain/snow/sun but exposed to temperature & humidity extremes. The one in the housing is two years old and the one exposed is one year old. Both have 100% uptime.

Don't use the Trendnet software, it's complete garbage. I'm running a custom-built dedicated rackmount NVR using BlueIris video security software. For 1 camera to 64 cameras I HIGHLY recommend using this program as it's not camera specific. I have a mix of 12 cameras, from Trendnet to 4XEM to Vivotek to ACTi and it works with all of them.

With it's downfall of the IR filter sometimes making the colors off, and the bad included software; I would still recommend the purchase of this camera. After testing/using my first purchased camera for a year, I liked it so much I purchased 5 more. For the price, it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best feature set for price, March 9, 2011
Michael Silva (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have used this camera for about a month and love it.

It records flawlessly to a NAS (no need to leave a computer on) records only on motion and has very good video quality. I have set up a dynamic DNS (DynDNS) service to remotely monitor the camera from my Android phone and from any computer. I am by no means a networking guru, but have a basic working knowledge of networks and ip addresses. The camera was easy to set up with a static ip address and has been rock solid on both a wireless G and wireless N network.

This camera has a 5 star rating on Newegg. Hopefully the bad reviews here reflect faulty hardware (which happens from time to time).

For the record, I use this in my garage to monitor my pets and I tracked a neighborhood cat that was coming in at night and eating the cat food. I did not use the included software at all. All the camera's settings are accessible using the browser interface and are not hard to set and tweak.

I also have a Dlink camera (about half the price of the Trendnet) that will not record without the included software. In addition, it records video in some proprietary format that can only be viewed with the included software. This Trendnet camera, on the other hand, records standard video to any shared drive. This is easily set up through the web interface, no software needed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, January 4, 2010
David V. (WA United States) - See all my reviews
Picture quality on this camera is terrible. Greens are purple-white and the picture is very fuzzy even after focusing the lense. I had to send the camera back to Trendnet for replacement. The first time, the camera failed after a couple of days as it would display only a white screen with outlines of objects. On the replacment camera, the colors were so bad it looks like a cartoon picture.

However, the camera does work well over wireless-N and the web utility is simple to use. Trendnet customer service was reasonable.

I will not be buying any more Trendnet products as their quality is just too poor for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy TRENDnet products, January 20, 2014
This camera sucks! big time.
I have to power it off and power back on almost everyday otherwise it just freezes and stops taking pictures.
I have a D-link DCS-930L which is 1/4 the price of this one and it is doing a much better job than this over priced camera.
in General I have never had a good experience with this brand...stay away!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, February 2, 2013
This was the second camera I bought of this model, after having one for a year and needing another one. The camera works great. I have it outdoors, mounted up under the eaves. I bought a weatherproof enclosure for it, and have had no weather related problems with it at all. I use it in wireless mode, and have not had any connectivity problems. For the monitoring software, I use a freeware program called "Zoneminder", which works very well to monitor the two cameras that I have. The mobile app that Trendnet provides is simple to set up and gives me a view from my cameras on my smartphone when I am away from home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Once It Works, August 28, 2012
The Trendnet camera is a great camera for anyone who wants to record wireless. The only issue I had was when I used it outside. Whenever I tried using it outside all I got was a white screen. A firmware upgrade from Trendnet fixed this but other than that it's worked great. If it wasn't for the firmware issue this would have gotten a 5 out of 5 rating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't use outdoors., July 26, 2012
My grass looks purple and the product keeps getting disconnected from the Trendnet provided software. I have hardwired this camera due to the excessive amount of additional products that are needed to put this camera in an enclosure outside.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardware is good, software if horrible, June 6, 2012
The camera does everything I needed it to, but the SecureView software is AWFUL. In my frustration I began searching for alternatives and found this free open source alternative that does everything SecureView promises, but this software actually delivers! You can get the software at:

[...]

Check it out, I had it up and doing motion detect recording in about 5 minutes. I never got that working with SecureView.