4.0 out of 5 stars TRENDnetRJ-11/RJ-45 Crimp/Cut/Strip Tool
Published on October 16, 2009 by Rich Messeder

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Adjustment
Published on November 15, 2011 by Corey340

4.0 out of 5 stars TRENDnetRJ-11/RJ-45 Crimp/Cut/Strip Tool, October 16, 2009
This review is from: TRENDnet 8P/RJ-45 and 6P/RJ-12, RJ-11 Crimp, Cut, and Strip Tool, TC-CT68 (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have experience with similar, higher-priced versions of this tool. The lower quality construction is evident, and the documentation poor. That said, this is a very nice product for the price. It does exactly what the casual user needs. 1) It cuts and strips flat cable, and the cutting depth for the stripper is adjustable. 2) It will cut the covering off of round CAT5/6 cable, but one must be careful, and there doesn't seem to be a way to measure how much of the insulation to remove. I didn't see this noted in the limited documentation. It is a round opening in one of the handles with a cutting blade in the other handle. That blade cuts through the insulation, and reasonable care must be used not to nick the wires within. I removed more of the insulation than I thought necessary, then trimmed the excess once I had the wires all lined up to go into the connector. I would trim some anyway, because the wires are not even after they are fanned out to go into the connector. I used a small wire nipper for this, not a wire cutter designed to cut 12-18 gauge wire. 3) The feature that "locks" the handles for storage is not correctly described. This feature actually comes from better-quality tools. The purpose of the feature is to require the operator to fully close the handles during crimping. The point is to ensure that the connector is fully crimped. The handles are supposed to release when the connector is fully crimped. This feature doesn't work all that well on this tool, in my opinion, but the tool still makes good connections. If you close these handles all the way, they release, just as the better-quality tools do. If you want to /store/ the tool, close the handles most of the way, and they will stay closed. Close them all the way, and they will spring open again. I store mine in the package it came in. I used the tool to make RJ45 connections, and had no faulty connections, so I give this a 5 for doing the job, and less for the overall quality of the tool and the poor docs. If you are in the business, spend a lot more; I don't think any home user will regret this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 4, 2006
This was my first attempt to crimp CAT5/6 ethernet for home networking. I bought a spool of CAT5 and ends from Home Depot and bought this tool online. I had absolutely no problem with this tool. It worked perfectly every time. I only needed it for a short time, but it seemed nice and sturdy.

By the way, don't forget to look up color diagrams and make sure you use the correct twisted pairs together. It isn't enough to just have the right stright-through connections from one end to another. You must match the correct pairs. Although color doesn't matter, you have to pair the expected two at the other end. That's how it does error correction, by assuming the same interference is seen on each twisted pair and cancels out the same signal on both. If you don't pair them correctly, it cannot error correct. I needed a 50 foot run under the house, and it didn't work until I paired the correct twisted pair. Do some internet research on this and print some colored guides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine!, February 12, 2012
Length:: 1:00 Mins

This crimp tool works great to crimp connectors plugs, but for cutting....not so well. I would still buy this still as a crimpper because of it's low price and it does the job. I added a video on the locking mechanism of this tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little tool, February 17, 2008
Works as advertised. I can't imagine it being easier. Fool-proof...except for one reviewer who had a hard time with the cutting blade which is adjustable by the way. There are a couple ways to strip the wire with this tool. 100% satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not made in China., March 1, 2009
This crimper is high in quality, very far from the typical "made in China" crimpers that just end up in landfills after a couple uses.
The package says "Designed in USA. Made in Taiwan." Backed by a 2 year warranty so Trendnet certainly believes this to be of high quality. The one that comes directly from Amazon is hardware version 1.1R which seems to be the latest as of this review according to the Trendnet website.

The stripper does not work on all cables as pointed out by other users but this is a problem across all crimpers not just this one so do not bypass this product because it can't strip all cables perfectly. This problem occurs because the thickness of the outer insulation varies so it is hard to get it perfect for every possible cable diameter.

The ratchet mechanism seems rather useless or maybe mine is faulty because the knob to turn to release it is stuck and I usually have to close in the handles for it to automatically release. It only seems to lock the handles when they are about half way closed in but I don't know if that is how it's supposed to work or if mine is faulty. I think it should have been made to lock the handles closer to the fully closed-in position instead of half way. Either way, the ratchet handle-locking is not significant to me, as a crimper this tool does a fine job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and do what they are supposed to, November 2, 2008
RB "Richard" (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
Good crimpers. Do what they are supposed to.

One thing to know is that the razer for cutting off the very ends of the cord is very sharp. This is very good because it doesn't bend the tips, but cleanly cuts through the. And continued cutting through them after 20+ cuts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs Adjustment, November 15, 2011
I like Trendnet. I really do, but this offering from them simply doesn't make the grade. It crushes the locking tabs on RJ-45 connectors so badly that they become unusable (won't lock into the jack) and you have to do it over until you get just the right touch. If there were a way to adjust it, I would give a better rating but since you cant, I can't recommend this tool even for occasional use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great crimper, poor stripper, February 10, 2008
This was my first attempt at crimping CAT5 connectors. I bought this item because of good reviews as well as because of its affordable price. As a crimper, the tool is excellent. It could not have made the process easier. Within 5 minutes, I already had my first cable complete. However, I cannot say the same of the wire stripping feature. The wire stripper was poor at best. When I used the stripping feature just as described on the packaging, I found that it would completely cut some of the wires, particularly those toward the edge of the casing. As a result, I found myself putting the cable toward the back end of the blade and manually rotating in to cut the casing, this worked wonders, but wasn't nearly as easy as it should have been if the wire stripper had actually worked correctly.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. The price was great, and now I'm crimping cables like a pro. My only complaints were that the stripper did not work very well and it would have been nice if it included a diagram of the standard color ordering of a CAT5 cable, though I found a diagram very easily on the Internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars never made a bad crimp!, December 8, 2008
I have yet to make a bad crimp, so it works! I love the ratcheting action too, it gives a very professional response when crimping, not flimsy like the $2 crimpers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got It To Work On First Try, April 30, 2009
The crimper works well and seems very solid and heavy. Minus a star because the instructions included are minimal at best. I found a few videos online that were helpful. I bought this because it always ended up that on cables I would buy (from Amazon) would eventually wear out on the plastic part that is supposed to snap in to your ethernet socket. Eventually the snap was gone creating a loose connection that would easily slip out. This ends up being a very inexpensive way to have a 'new' cable. Since I have had no luck with wireless routers I'm dependent on ethernet cables and this is a great tool and money saver.