4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cameras-difficult setup
My qualifications for writing a review should be considered, carefully. I am a lawyer, not a tech specialist or engineer. I'm a consumer, an early adopter, an occasional beta tester. Reader beware.

I wanted to find a relatively inexpensive camera that would do the following:

1. Have decent video which would look good and have some decent...
Published on December 17, 2011 by Ricknewengland

3.0 out of 5 stars An improvement over Trendnet's older cams
Published on September 30, 2011 by Tom Servo

3.0 out of 5 stars An improvement over Trendnet's older cams, September 30, 2011
This review is from: TRENDnet TV-IP602WN ProView Wireless Pan/Tilt/Zoom Internet Surveillance Camera (Electronics)
The TV-IP602WN is basically an upgraded version of Trendnet's older Pan/Tilt network cams. I am familiar with Trendnet/Linksys/Dlink cams (click "see all my reviews" above) and I will be comparing the 602WN to these. The maximum resolution of the camera is unchanged from the previous models and is 640x480 (some older/cheap IP cams only do 320x240, I would advise against buying these).
Appearance wise the 602WN is more curved/rounded than the older TV-IP410/422 cams. I didn't find anything wrong with the older design but it's changed to a somewhat sleeker appearance. One thing that's changed is the Pan/Tilt range. On the 410/422 the Pan range is +/- 165 degrees (330 degrees side-to-side) and Tilt +(up)90/-15 degrees. On the 602 this is reduced to Pan +/- 156 degrees (312 degrees) and Tilt +(up)70/-45. Notice that although the Pan range is reduced somewhat the cam can now tilt further down than older models could have. This is a good thing as cams are often mounted high, so being able to tilt more downward rather than up is often useful.
Another thing that's improved from the older 410/422 series is a new "night mode/slow shutter" option so that you can get a better image in low light (although fast motion may blur due to the slower shutter speed). This is exactly like the option on the D-Link DCS-1130 camera, and in fact both cameras share similar options for RTSP/night mode settings (I suspect both cams use the same CMOS sensor). Note that the 602WN is a day cam (i.e. it has no infrared LEDs to illuminate in low light levels) so you will need some illumination at all times.
As in the older Trendnet cams you can still flip or mirror the image, useful say if you wanted to mount the cam upside down (but with the increased down tilt range you probably wouldn't need to).
I am using cams with 3rd party Blue Iris software, and as such don't need to use "built-in" cam features like uploading video directly to a Samba server or emailing images in the event of motion detection. (The 602WN does support these but I haven't used them). New to the 602 is a supposedly free Iphone/Android app that you can use to monitor the cam directly from a mobile device (untested by me)
Another thing is that the focal range of the lens has changed, from 4.0mm to 4.57mm. This means that the camera will give a somewhat closer image that the 410/422 models. This is generally a good thing with a Pan/Tilt cam, as you can always Pan the cam if you wanted to see more. Like the 410/422 the lens is still manually focusable by turning the lens ring, so you can focus at a particular distance for maximum sharpness. Some other cams like the Linksys WVC80N do not have a focusable lens.
However the biggest improvement over the older 410/422 cams is true 802.11n (with WPA/WPA2-PSK) support. The 410/422 only supported "G" WiFi, which wasn't so good in terms of range or bandwidth. This cam not only supports "N" (2.4GHz only) but has 2 antennas for MIMO 300 Mbps support ("n" devices with 1 antenna only have 150Mbps support). "G" only WiFi was one of the few things I disliked about the 410/422 and I am happy to see it addressed. At present it's too early to comment on the cam's stability/range but I will update this review as time passes to comment on this. This is the first cam I have seen advertised with 300Mbps support so we'll see how that works out. (My router does support 300Mbps)
OTHER STUFF THAT'S CHANGED/REMOVED FROM PREVIOUS MODELS:
1. The frame rate in the 410/422 was user enterable, if you wanted 4 frames per second recording it was no problem. The 602 changes this to selecting the FPS from a predefined list (1/2/3/5/10/15/30 FPS). I would have liked if 4 FPS was in the list. (I should mention the DCS-1130 works exactly this way as well)
2. The 422 had a feature where you could plug a USB drive into it and it would record directly to it. This is removed in the 602 (although the side of the box incorrectly mentions USB support). Also, the 422 had an input/output port that could be used with the included software to start alarm recording from a external trigger (like a motion alarm or door switch) or trigger external devices. These I/O features are removed in the 602. Most users wouldn't miss either of these two features but at least you know about it.
3. Older wireless Trendnet cams had a great site survey feature that would scan for access points and report the SSID, channel # and signal strength. You could check the wifi signal details at each camera location which was useful in diagnosing wifi problems. The 602 has changed the site survey feature to be less useful. For starters, the survey no longer reports the channel # used by an access point, so now you don't know if a neighboring AP/router is stepping on your signal. Secondly the site survey no longer displays all APs in a list format. You must now individually select an AP to display the signal strength. If you have many APs in the list you have to select them one by one to view signal strength. The older site survey format was in my opinion more useful than this new one.
OVERALL I would recommend this camera. It's not that more expensive than the D-Link DCS-1130 but is a Pan/Tilt cam which the 1130 is not. It has a focusable lens (which the Linksys WVC80N does not). It supports 300Mbps whereas the WVC80N only has a single internal antenna supporting 150Mbps (the DCS-1130 has 2 antennas but doesn't explicitly state 150/300Mbps support).
If you do buy this cam, the first thing I would recommend you do is check/update the firmware. My cam shipped with older than current firmware so be sure to update it if needed (using a WIRED connection). I hope this review has been useful!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cameras-difficult setup, December 17, 2011

I wanted to find a relatively inexpensive camera that would do the following:

1. Have decent video which would look good and have some decent detail.
2. Pan and tilt.
3. Have motion detection and send me an email when activated
4. Record video either automatically or on a schedule I set
5. Operate without having to keep my computer on.
6. Be accessible from an iPhone or iPad with live video, with remote pan and tilt
7. Have night video with infrared lighting

Those were the basic things I wanted and I wanted it all for under $150 per camera. Well, I read all the reviews and did the product comparisons and I found no camera which met all of my requirements. The camera which came the closest was the 602WN. It had all the features I wanted except the night video ability and it was $10 more, per camera, than I wanted to spend. Nothing else came closer than the 602WN. I bought two. Others would have bought just one, set it up, played with it but, I have learned a few lessons about this kind of complicated technology. One camera may work fine but would two cameras play well together ?

I set up the cameras with the included software, which is very simple to use if you have a DHCP Internet connection. If you have a static connection, it's a little trickier. More on this, later. The cameras worked immediately after setup and I could pan, tilt and knock myself out. It was very cool. A camera that actually worked on the computer, was easy to set up and provided instant gratification. I was stoked!

Stoked didn't last long. I was viewing the cameras on my home network. The true test was whether they would work from the iPhone from an outside or 3G network. iPhone proview software setup is brain dead easy so I won't even go into that. I couldn't get the iPhone to connect with the camera. I spent hours on the phone with tech support and they did a good job, answered quickly, helped me open the remote forwarding ports...and it WORKED. I was stoked, again! I felt powerful like I actually accomplished something important.

Stoked didn't last long. After about ten minutes, the ports closed down. The video died and the iPhone couldn't contact the cameras. Well, I thought I would just power cycle the router and see if that would reset the cameras. It did. The cameras came back online and I was able to access over 3G. That lasted for about ten minutes. Then the ports closed down, again. This happened over and over again. Tech support in India was stumped and they bumped me up to level three support in California where I got to speak with someone who was a lot easier to understand. He wasn't much help suggesting that I re-install the camera firmware and reset the camera. It was, to me, another way of saying he didn't much care. I didn't follow his advice. It turns out I was right and he was wrong. The problem wasn't in the camera. The problem was in my network.

One of the dumb, dumb things the clown in India suggested I do was to reset my router. I explained to him that my network starts at the Internet Radio (my Internet provider is a wireless provider. I have an antenna on my roof and a radio receiver in the office. ) The radio is connected to a router and that router is connected to a switch. My home and office are completely wired with Ethernet and all those Ethernet cables connect to the switch. To get WIFI all over this large house and office complex, I have 6 wireless routers connected to the switch. Not access points but routers. Some local computer repairman told me the best way to get WIfi was to add wireless routers. I've learned a lot with this camera project. I learned a lot of crap a consumer doesn't need to know.

So, I reset my Internet router and all hell broke loose on my network. I lost my printer, my Internet and the connections to every other network device. By now I was fed up. I had spent way too many hours trying to get a product to work. That made NO sense to me. I decided to send back the stupid cameras and get a refund. But, first, I thought I would call a new, local computer tech to see if there was an easy answer to this mess. When he arrived, I told him I reset my router, etc. He explained how routers worked and what port forwarding was about and how each of my routers was set up for the network I blew up when I reset my Internet router. He also explained that none of this would have happened if I had used Access Points instead of routers. Blah, blah, blah. He had my network up and running in minutes and then we looked at the cameras and decided to give them one more try. First, we put together a network map with all it's computers and devices, and specifically mapped out the fixed ip addresses and LAN addresses for the cameras. Then we started the camera's wizard software and installed each camera. As before, the cameras popped up fine on my LAN network. I reinstalled the iPhone app and set up each camera on it. I started the iPhone proview software, clicked on the connect button and BANG! There was the camera picture. Both worked fine. The ports are still open a week later and everything is fine.

I ordered four more of these cameras. The camera installation and operations was not at fault, at all. It was my network. Once I straightened up the network, everything worked fine and still does. I now have all 6 cameras operating and they perform beyond expectations. These damned things actually have microphones and speakers. You can hear if the furnace is on. You can also talk to someone if he is within spitting distance of the camera. That's pretty cool.

Here's the bottom line. The cameras are great. You can't beat them for price, functionality, solid construction, remote operation, etc. for these kinds of interactive and remote products, the router set up needs to be transparent. Setting up routers, manually, is a pain in the butt. Port forwarding shouldn't be something a camera consumer needs to know anymore than an understanding of the vertical blanking interval is required by anyone who watches a TV set. Router setup should be no more complicated than asking the user a few questions such as: what do you want to connect to your network? How do you want to use it? Will you access it from outside your network? Simple questions. The router and network issues are too complicated for intermediate geeks, like me. I just want the camera to work. Plug it in like a USB printer and it works. Maybe someday.

Great camera. Great features. Good price. I highly recommend this camera. But, for my money, you can shoot all the geeks who have kept routers unnecessarily complicated for too many years! Come on guys. This isn't rocket science and it doesn't need to be. It's time to make routers transparent to the consumer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera after tricky setup, January 1, 2012
I received this camera for Christmas. After setting it up I could view it on my computer and on my Iphone but only while on wi fi within my home network. Called trendnet and was told I had to put my dsl modem into bridge mode. So I called AT&T and they walked me through it easy. Called trendnet back and they walked me through some router settings and camera settings. Turns out I need one IP address (which is what the camera setup disk applies to the camera) to view the camera from home on my wi fi network. However you need a different IP address to view the camera remotely while away. So on my Iphone I created two profiles. One at home and one away within the camera iphone app with each one having different IP addresses. Everything works perfect. After a couple of half hour phone calls I have a great camera that does everything that I want it to do. I would recommend this camera but be prepared to make a phone call to get it working from a remote location.
UPDATE
There iphone app is not very reliable. Constantly says connection failed. An app called uTrendnetCam
By UBNTEK Co. is $4.99 in the app store and has worked flawlessly. $5 dollars well spent to be able to check on my dogs while I'm away from the house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Camera, bad software, May 13, 2013
Camera is good quality. Video is good quality. The only problem I have is that it will not work with Trendnet's software. I contacted Trendnet support and they were worthless. Just told me to keep resetting the camera. If not for this software issue I would have rated this camera a 5. I set it up so that my wife could view her fish tank remotely, and it works very well for this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice from Far, Far from nice, December 20, 2011
Auggie (Carlsbad, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera thinking that it would be the best value but I was disappointed by several issues.

1) There is no infrared light. Yes I know you could tell but no matter what you think it is really important to have IR lightning for night vision.
2) There is no smooth pan and tilt. It's all "STEPPED" with a step size you need to select.
3) The iPhone apps for this camera are very primitive and lack a lot of features even the expensive apps.
4) There s no zoom other than the pixelated digital zoom that the app can do by pinch-opening the screen.
5) There are no presets.
6) There are no speakers. You need to use external speakers to talk through the camera.
7) The microphone is a joke. The quality of the sound is absolutely horrible.
8) When t moves it's extremely noisy.

I replaced this camera and bought the cheapest pan-tilt I could find in Amazon and couldn't be happier. It has every single feature I listed as lacking on this one and the price is amazingly low. The one I bought here is this $52.75 one.
I think it's a clone of the Foscam and all apps for foscam are compatible.
Real-time recording,Wireless WiFi IP Internet Pan Tilt Dual,Two-way Audio Camera IR Day Night Vision