This switch is great. I've been working with computers and networking since the early 90's (anyone else remember Mosaic?), and I've had to deal with a lot of switches that required manually setting every little thing in order to get it to work - and of course every type of router you were connecting the switch to required different settings.
This switch is absolutely...
Published on July 4, 2010 by Jack Huesman

2.0 out of 5 stars This switch worked fine for a year but now needs power cycle to make it work.
I own this product. Used it for about 1yr. Yesterday, I had failure on Internet. I started reset of cable modem, then router. Finally when I reset the switch, it started working. I am a retired electrical/electronics engineer and my guess about this failure is that the Green power management failed and decided that nothing was connected to the ports until the reset. I...
Published 3 months ago by Srihari Kotcherlakota

5.0 out of 5 stars A great switch - truely plug n play, but useless documentation, July 4, 2010
This review is from: TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged 10/100 Mbps GREENnet Ethernet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TE100-S80G (Personal Computers)
This switch is absolutely plug-n-play. If your broadband (cable, DSL) router is filled up and you need to add another network device, you cannot go wrong with this switch.

The documentation is horrible, perhaps even a bit misleading. In the troubleshooting section, it says something about the switch not being designed to allow more than one computer to access the internet. Well, that's technically true...you can't just have a switch and really do anything with it...but if you have broadband access, you have a router (technically, that box on your desk is a router plus a 4-port switch) so that is already taken care of.

So...here's the details on how to get all your computers, network printers, network storage, game consoles, blu-ray players, etc. to talk to each other and the internet. Be sure to follow these instructions exactly...

1. Turn off all your computers, printers, etc., and the broadband router.
2. Unplug something (anything, it doesn't matter what, but I usually use port 1) from the broadband router.
3. Run a short ethernet cable between the port on the router you just freed up and ANY port on the switch.
4. Plug the thing you just unplugged and everything new into the switch.
5. Plug the switch AC adapter into the wall and the back of the switch.
6. Turn everything back on.

THAT'S IT! How could it get any easier than that?
I think TRENDnet is really missing a selling point here by not stressing how easy this switch is to add to your existing network!

I don't know, and honestly I'm not going to try and measure, how much energy is actually saved by the graduated power sent to the ports based on cable length, but I think it's a nice feature to shut down power to a port if the device is idle for long periods of time.

So far, I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this switch. When I first pulled it out of the box, I thought it was a bit light (even though it is made out of metal and not cheap-o plastic) to stay on the desk when 8 cables are plugged into it...but then I noticed that they even included a square of velcro to attach to the desk and switch so it wouldn't move around.

Summary: if you need to expand the number of ports in your network, buy this switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, January 8, 2011
I was given one of the 5 port models of this switch about eight years ago and even though it already had a few quirks (had to be powered off/on occasionally), it served well for my needs.

I recently replaced it with this model and haven't had any issues. Unbox, connect cables and power on. Not much more to it than that. The casing is tough and pretty small. It sits on a shelf beneath my desk next to my xDSL modem. Would definitely buy again.

Edit: Over two years later and it is still going strong (04/11/13).

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bargain!, November 24, 2011
1. It works well.
2. The price is hard to beat.
3. It is well built.
4. It is compact.

I think that says it all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Performs as promised, May 21, 2011
I did have apprehensions when I bought this product because it is a brand I am not familiar with. But once I plugged it in, it performed as promised - easy to set up and performs without any problems. The only thing left is to see how long it will last. Time will tell but for the moment I am more than satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Setup & Forget, September 21, 2010
There isn't much to say about this product. It does exactly what it says and does it well. I have one PC, a PS3, and an Xbox 360 hooked up to this in my college dorm. There were initial problems connecting the Xbox 360 but it had to do with the school's firewall, not this product. If you encounter a similar problem talk to an IT Help Desk instead of simply returning it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little odd., January 22, 2013
I like the Switch a lot and use it all the time. My only complaint would be that it's a little funny to use. It says 8-Port but you need one for the uplink. The strange thing is it doesn't indicate which port is for the uplink. I later found out it could be any one of the ports. That sounds great but for me, I'd rather they call it a 7-Port switch, and have a dedicated uplink port on labeled on the device.

I do really like Trendnet though and have gone to them for several networking needs. I'd recommend this on that name alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performer - Fast TRENDnet Ethernet Switch 8x10/100mbps, January 16, 2012
Excellent quality product and consistently exceeds in the performance department. Design is sleek with black metal case construction versus other competitive plastic case models. I needed to add 2 ports from my DSL gateway to expand my local area network in my home office and this product was the perfect choice. The GREENnet Switch was "plug and play" straight out of the shipping container!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 8-Port GREENnet, April 20, 2011
Product works great. It is a must have as more electronics become accessible to the internet. Televisons, Xbox, Playstation, Televisions, Blu-ray players, etc., quickly take up the ethernet ports on your router, or dsl gateway. This helps expand your number of ports effortlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great downstream of my router, February 21, 2013
I've only had this running for a few days, but so far it's all going well. My setup is Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem -> Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS Router -> TRENDnet switch. I have a cable of about 100 ft running between the router and the switch, and it appears to be a rock-solid connection.

I have two main areas in my home that I use connections heavily: in the first area I have my OBi100 VoIP and main computer (all connected to the Netgear), and in the second area I have XBOX, PS3, Zotac ZBOX and SmartTV (connected to this switch).

Since I really only use one device connected to this switch at a time, and rarely transfer large data files, the 100Mbps speeds are plenty adequate (Netflix streaming works great). I did transfer some large files just to try it out, though, and was pleased enough with the performance.

So far, as price-to-performance ratio goes, I am happy with the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, Works Well When New, June 18, 2014
It could just be my location, higher altitude (7,800 feet) and closer, therefore, to thunderstorms and power surges. But ... gradually I lose a port and then another and then another. So, an 8 port device becomes a 5 port device. This one I am using now has lost two ports. This same thing happens to me with other manufacturers switches as well - so, I am not condemning Trendnet devices in particular. I am unwilling to try a more expensive switch since I don't really know if the deign is at fault or if losing ports is a natural occurrence. For the price this has served me well so far and replacing it somewhere down the road when it may lose more functionality will not be expensive. Things wear out.