5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, fast, and low power as promised
Published on August 28, 2009 by Pilchard

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Speed is capped at 50Mbps
Published 16 months ago by M. Lim

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, fast, and low power as promised, August 28, 2009
This review is from: TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S80g (Personal Computers)
Recently we have installed network storage devices, and started to run backups and multi-media services on our home LAN (local area network). As a result the load on our network increased substantially. We decided to upgrade from fast ethernet to gigabit. Due to the arrangement of devices, we have several 8 port switches connected to a larger 24 bit switch which I guess is the backbone of our LAN.

When shopping for gigabit switches, the Trendnet 8 port gigabit greennet switch came up as not only a low cost, but also a low power switch. We purchased several and have been using them for almost half a year.

These switches are silent (there is no fan), and very low power (on my Killowatt meter they always show 0 watts), and very fast. They have limited support for jumbo packets (I forget the exact number, but its around a jumbo packet size of 7-9K).

This is a good solution as a low power, silent, gigabit switch that runs cool and is low cost. The switch is unmanaged, but does have status indicator lights. You will see if you are getting fast ethernet or gigabit speeds on each port. We have had no trouble with these switches.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Netgear USED to be...., July 17, 2010
This switch is solid. In 3 months, I've had no problems with this Trendnet switch.

Compare to my netgear crashes, gets into reboot loops, etc even after power brick and switch replacement.

The Trendnet switch runs cooler than the netgear counterpart.

The Trendnet, like the NetGear, has a metal case for better EMI control. The netgear case is just slightly thicker, which should provide better in-case ventilation.

The Trendnet switch has ports/power on the back, and activity/connection LEDs on the front. Because of this, it makes for a much more tidy desk, and easier to see link lights.

We'll see how this is doing when it's a year, or 18 months old, but so far, it's power-on durability exceeds the competition.

NOTE: This is an unmanaged switch. 10/100/1000 line speed, auto-crossover. There is no monitoring port, no web management, no SNMP, no IP sharing, and no routing.

This is a low cost, and well designed device. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, affordable, economical, June 27, 2010
Wayne (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This switch is well built with a metal case, performs well, and is economical. I did lots of benchmarks and found that I got maximum speeds while doing multiple concurrent large inter-computer file transfers. I repeated some of the tests while bypassing the switch to see if there was a change in speed and there was none, so this switch kept up with whatever I could throw at it. If you want more speed, chances are you will gain more with better cables/plugs/jacks/etc. rather than looking for a faster switch.

I also used a Kill-A-Watt meter to see how much energy this uses. The amount was so low that it took days to get meaningful readings, and this will cost pennies a year and electricity is not cheap where I live. Also, the switch is economically priced. This switch caused my network diagnostic to misreport cable quality as poor, but although some utilities might give you false readings, your connection will not suffer.

I read elsewhere that this switch is not compatible with WOL (wake on LAN/magic packet) and the person who posted that got the information from Trendnet support. It turns out that this works PERFECTLY with WOL as long as your computer's port is set to auto negotiation. In other words, if there's any limitation, it's with the quality of tech support, not with this switch.

The only minor negatives are that the printing next to the LEDs is not on both sides, so it will appear upside-down if this is wall mounted, making it awkward to keep track of port numbers. Also, the slots for wall mounting could have been bigger to accommodate larger screws. The documentation is minimal, but this is pretty much plug and play.

UPDATE Jan 2011. I have read comments from customers who have had problems using multiple switches of this model on the same network. I have three of them. One is connected with approximately 25 meters of Cat-5e cable to another on a different floor in my home. The cable run is UTP, about half vertical, and half horizontal though an attic with no shielding (except distance) from other cables such as power cables. A third switch is connected with approximately 8 inches of the same type cable, allowing me to have more ports in that location. Benchmarks of file transfers will not give a true picture, since the weakest link (hard drive speed, overhead from data encapsulation, switches, network cards, wall jacks, drivers, cable, etc.) will be the limiting factor. All other parts of the chain will perform at least as well as the benchmark suggests.

I tried copying about 450 GB of relatively large and barely compressible data coming from images of blu-ray and DVD sources. Transferring through all three switches, full length of the cable, etc. gave me transfer speeds of about 96MB/sec. Presumably, the hard disk arrays are the limiting factors in my system, but the switches clearly had no trouble with those sustained speeds. I used Windows 7 drag and drop over a network, which is not among the most efficient methods. A series of smaller files such as JPEGs gave me "speeds" closer to 15MB/sec, which really means that the speed over the wire was probably about the same, but a large amount of the data was overhead encapsulation.

Although it's likely that the switch was not the limiting factor, it's clear that users who are getting poorer performance have other factors that limit performance, making it impossible to say that the switches are the cause of their performance issues. A direct run of cable from one of the computers to the other, bypassing all three switches, would show if there were any increase in performance, thus showing if the switches themselves (or something related to plugs, cables, or jacks) caused the problems. But the speeds I got from several such tests were consistent, and higher than what I would have expected given that I used Windows drag and drop over a network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the switch I was looking for and let me tell you why!, October 30, 2012
I've been looking for a quality 8-port Unmanaged Gigabit switch for a while now. I was debating between this one (TRENDnet TEG-S80G), the D-Link DGS-1008G, the NETGEAR GS108NA, and the Linksys SE2008. I needed something reliable, had the features I wanted, and was fast. This TRENDnet satisfied all my criteria and for a cheap ~$25 bucks, I was willing to give it a shot.

1. Look & Feel - The first thing you'll notice when you pick up this switch is how solid the construction feels. This isn't some cheap plastic, I am not sure if it is aluminum, but its not a cheap metal either. It feels similar to the NETGEAR GS108NA. Solid body, hard metal construction. Vents on the side of the unit help keep this switch cool, though it really doesn't need it. But unlike NETGEAR switches, the Ethernet Port plugs are on the backside along with the unit's power plug, this is a major plus. One thing I hated about NETGEAR switches was how their plugs were on the front, but the power plug was on the back.

The link lights of the switch are fairly non-intrusive. They aren't super blinding bright, but they are clearly visible. If you plan on putting this switch in a place where you might sleep, don't worry, this little switch won't be keeping you up all night. Link lights are accurate as well. Top row of lights mean there is an active link, the bottom row is the speed at which the port is connected. Orange for 10/100Mbit and Green for 1000Mbit/1Gigabit.

I wasn't a fan of the green design that came with the unit, but it's starting to grow on me. ;)

2. Heat & Power Consumption - I really hate how some routers and switches get hot. This unit is cool to the touch and has been on for days now. If you look through the vent holes you can clearly see that they've mounted a heat-sink on the PCB. The power adapter is ALSO cool to the touch. Even if I tax the switch and start transferring gigabytes of data over the network this thing never heats up to hot or even moderate warm. At worst, it is below luke-warm.

3. Features - This was by far the most important thing to me. I have a quirky set-up in my home where I have 3-4 computers, media PCs and a NAS set up around the house. Every single one of them is setup for Wake on Lan (WOL). I was reading around the internet and I heard reports that all these newer switches that touted GREEN power did NOT work with Wake on LAN. I will confirm right now that THIS TRENDnet TEG-S80G 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch WORKS PERFECTLY WITH WAKE ON LAN. If you buy this switch specifically and it doesn't work for Wake on LAN, you are doing something wrong. It is not the fault of the switch. Computers that are completely shut off, still maintain an active link light with the switch. Yes, this switch still has GREEN power features, so that is a major plus as well.

4. Speed - I personally have not noticed any speed differences between this and my D-LINK DIR-655 router acting as a switch (DHCP off). I ran some speed tests over the switch with 'LAN Speed Test (Lite)' and these are my results.

Test Hardware:
ASUS RT-N56U (w/ custom firmware)
TRENDnet TEG-S80G
CAT 5e Cable - Total Length about 25 meters between computers.

* Note: I don't have jumbo frames or anything like that set up. I just plug and go. I am writing to/reading from a 7200rpm/SATAII drive.

[WRITE]

Packet Length: 3000MB
Time to Complete: 58.451
Mbps: 410.597
MB/s: 51.32

When using TeraCopy, files transfer at a steady 85-95MB/s. When I use Windows Copy, speeds start out peak at ~190MB/s but quickly dip down to 90-110MB/s.

I use this switch to stream 1080p movies from the NAS and there have never been any issues with stuttering or lag.

Overall, this is a fantastic switch. I've only owned it for about a week, so only time will tell how reliable it is. If something happens to it or it breaks down, I'll be coming back here to edit my review, but if you don't hear from me, it means this thing is still working like a champ.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Speed is capped at 50Mbps, April 21, 2013
Upgraded to this switch from Netgear FS108 a year back due to the greening features. Did not notice any issues until I upgraded my internet speed. Used to have Verizon FIOS 35/35 package. With the Netgear or TRENDnet switch, speedtest.net used to yield around 38/36Mbps. My actually download speed from file servers was around 5.3MB/s. Didn't see any problems with either of the switches. I just recently upgraded my FIOS speed to 75/25 package, that's when I noticed the speed cap. Using the TRENDnet, I could not get past 51/35Mbps. Its also weird that my actually download decreased to 3.5MB/s. I bypassed the switch and plugged my PC straight to the router and voila, I was getting 82/32Mbps from speedtest.net and my actual download speed a little over 10MB/s. Tested with the Netgear and I got similar results, 80/30Mbps+ and 10MB/s+ download speed. Not sure if I have a defective device, but I was not happy that the device couldn't handle 75Mpbs. Even though the data rate specs shows 2000Mbps.

Update (5/16)
Went through the RMA process. Turn around time was pretty quick. Unfortunately, I am getting the same results. I will stick with the Netgear switch and keep this around for backup.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 25, 2013 4:25:54 PM PDT
Dear M. Lim,

Please accept our deepest apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you. Your satisfactory is our top priority and main concern. TRENDnet takes great pride in our products, services and testing procedures. Please contact us at sales@trendnet.com with "Amazon TEG-S80G Product Review" in the subject line and one of our helpful experts will assist you with the RMA process. M.Lim, we look forward to hearing from you soon and restoring your faith in TRENDnet.

Thanks,

TRENDnet Sales Team

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Reliable Enough, July 22, 2012
The first unit I received was DOA, but Amazon replaced it quickly. The second unit worked great, true plug-and-play installation, and it handled quite a bit of high load traffic. However, after about 6 months the second unit failed. Nice price, but I need a more reliable solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Ethernet Port Expansion, March 15, 2010
The TRENDnet TEG-S80g 8 port switch is a very simple way to expand the number of ports on your local network. I am using it to add extra ports to the Verizon, 4 port, FiOS router provided by Verizon with their FiOS installation. It is dirt simple, no set-up required. Just connect the switch to the router using an eathernet cable plugged into any port on the router and any port on the switch and you can then use the rest of the ports on the switch to connect other net components to the network. Works great! If you need even more ports, just cascade switches together. To take advantage of the switch's full Gigabit speed, use cat5e or cat6 cabling.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK Switch, July 1, 2012
This switch has been OK. I purchased it to help wire a room that has a lot of equipment that requires a persistent wired connection. I've previously used Netgear switches and decided to get this as ait was a bit cheaper. I've used my Netgear switches for several years and never once had a problem. I've had to reset this switch several times already because it randomly shuts off connection to a couple of ports. It doesn't shut off all ports it just does it to certain ports.

4.0 out of 5 stars A step up in switches, June 22, 2009
I have been using the TRENDnet Gigabit Switch for nearly two months. I have not experienced a single major problem. (I did have what may have been driver issues. Upgrading to the most recent drivers seemed to clear up any problems, however that may be coincidental.)

While the switch is noticeably faster then the US Robotics unit it replaces, it is not as fast as I expected. I suspect the machines on the network are the constraints. PC to PC communications fly. Communication with the NAS is only slightly better than with the USR switch.

The switch itself is well built: metal case, not plastic. The unit is noticeably cooler than either the USR it replaces or the old LinkSys switch I had. I have an eight port switch which is clearly designed to allow stacking as heat vents are on the side (that also helps keep dust, etc. out of the switch).

It lacks any "sex appeal" in terms of design. It is a solid box that does the job. IMHO, for the few extra dollars, I would again buy this unit over the cheaper, more well known names such as LinkSys, USR, Netgear, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warranty period was reduced to 1-year/3-years (was 5-years), September 8, 2012
Note that the "Product Features" section on the Amazon website still say "5-year Warranty" but the latest revision only has a 1-year warranty on the A/C power adapter and 3 years on the main unit. See attached photo from the user manual.

Also note, depending on the revision number, the A/C adapter will either be 5V or 7.5V. The latest revision of the TEG-S80g, version V2.0R, uses 5V. When it fails, be sure to get the right replacement.

Note minimum cable length is 1.5 meters (5 feet). I'd prefer to use a 2-foot cable in a few places to keep things neat in the wiring closet, but the manual says that cables should be at least 5 feet.

Rate and Discover Movies