5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, fast, and low power as promised
Recently we have installed network storage devices, and started to run backups and multi-media services on our home LAN (local area network). As a result the load on our network increased substantially. We decided to upgrade from fast ethernet to gigabit. Due to the arrangement of devices, we have several 8 port switches connected to a larger 24 bit switch which I guess...
Published on August 28, 2009 by Pilchard

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Speed is capped at 50Mbps
Upgraded to this switch from Netgear FS108 a year back due to the greening features. Did not notice any issues until I upgraded my internet speed. Used to have Verizon FIOS 35/35 package. With the Netgear or TRENDnet switch, speedtest.net used to yield around 38/36Mbps. My actually download speed from file servers was around 5.3MB/s. Didn't see any problems with either...
Published 15 months ago by M. Lim

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Feels well built but has problems., May 8, 2014
Tim (Englewood, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit GREENnet Desktop Metal Housing Switch, TEG-S80g (Personal Computers)
I bought this unit because I needed an 8-port switch and I liked the idea that it had a metal enclosure. It feels well built, but will randomly "forget" about ports that are connected. At various times all of a sudden one of my connected devices will no longer be able to connect to the other devices. Sometimes the switch will show that nothing is connect to that port even when there is and other times the switch will show connected but just will not pass traffic. The only way that I found to resolve the issue is to power cycle the switch. Sometime I will get a month before I have to power cycle, sometimes only a few days. I finally returned this switch.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 9, 2014 2:54:18 PM PDT
Hello Tim,

I apologize for the overall frustration this has caused you. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at adrian@trendnet.com if you have any questions or need further assistance. Thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable to us and helps us gain more knowledge on how to improve.

Please also include a link to this review in your email.

Warm Regards,
Adrian
TRENDnet Support Team
www.trendnet.com/support

3.0 out of 5 stars Green yes, usable no, December 8, 2012
I purchased this as a green replacement to a switch that had a few dead ports.

The GREEN: The old Netgear switch idled at almost double the power with nothing connected (4W) and then used about another 1W per port connected. This switch idles around 2W and then with my short cabling only added less than 0.5W per port connected.

The BAD: I should have looked closer before purchasing. The ports are on the opposite side from the lights. This makes fault diagnosis so painful. Also, the cables plug in with the release tab facing down on this switch. That means I have to physically lift the hub up so that I can get my fingers to the tabs that face down to remove cables. If you work in a dynamic environment where you plug and unplug cables regularly, or need to troubleshoot connections, this switch is not for you. Recommendation to TRENDnet: put in the ports that have the connect and activity lights and rotate them so that the release tab is on top so it is easy to access if the switch is on a tabletop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it, Plugged it In and forgot about it., April 26, 2012
This is exactly what I wanted: A no bells&whistles product that is plug & play. You plug one cable into your router (or other switch) and you plug your devices into the other ports. I used port 1 for my router and the rest I used for my devices. Finally my desktop can be plugged in with Gigabit instead of using slow WiFi (Even 802.11n is no match for Gigabit Full Duplex Ethernet)

5.0 out of 5 stars TRENDnet switch, February 21, 2010
Good price and value. Just plug it into the network and it works. So far, no glitches or flaws. Isn't that what a network switch is supposed to do?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cheap switch, February 23, 2011
The switch is in a very sturdy metal box. Very low power consumption and does the job it's intended for. Very good value for the money.

Please note the pictures from Amazon for this product are for the S80DG with built in power supply. This product is the S80G with external power supply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myth Buster, May 26, 2012
I feel like I should address some of those negative reviews. I bought two of these and one of them was over 6 months already. I tested the speed with LAN SpeedTest and it scored 860 Mbs; not sure the software included or excluded overhead but no matter what it is still a very good speed. The two PCs tested were adjoined through a Asus router's own 4-ports switch and then this one. One cable was 75' CAT 5 and another was 75' CAT 5E so hardly 30' is the limited of this switch as one reviewer said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible - Highly recommended!, September 23, 2011
I purchased this gigabit switch so that I could create a small home network with my PC and my PS3 (along with any future devices I might want). I use my PS3 to stream HD movies from my PC with PS3 media server. Before, I streamed the movies wirelessly and had constant problems with the movies stuttering. Whenever the bitrate exceeded 10-15 mbps, the movie paused and became unwatchable. I'd have to pause the movie for a second, then hit replay until the movie went to a lower bitrate, and it was highly annoying. Not only did I stream movies wirelessly, but I connected wirelessly to the internet with my PC as well. I've had problems with my wireless connection ever since I moved in, and I always assumed it was my provider's fault. I was lucky to average 10 mbps download, even though I pay for 15 mbps. I was on the verge of contacting my provider the service was so bad. So I started reading around online, and decided that a wired connection might solve both my problems, and that the gigabit switch was the way to go.

I installed the switch last night. I ran 75 ft of CAT 6 cable from my PC to my PS3, tacking it along the baseboard and door frames with insulated staples to make it look pretty. I also updated all my ethernet cords to new CAT 6 cables. I plugged everything into the switch, and plugged my cable modem into the WAN port on my router. My PC instantly connected at 1 gigabit /sec. The quality difference in my internet connection IS STUNNING! I'm almost in disbelief! I went from around 10-11 mbps (on a very good day) with wireless to averaging 25 mbps with my wired conection! I also noticed lower ping times than average. The boost is simply incredible. That alone was worth the price of the switch.

My next test involved streaming HD movies on my PS3. The difference, once again, is OUT OF THIS WORLD! All my stuttering issues are completely gone. I had some movies which were not even watchable due to the high bitrate, but now they stream without a hitch (last night, some movies were hitting 25 mbps bitrate and were streaming with no problems whatsoever). Not only that, but now I can stream all my HD movies while continuing to download files on my PC at full speed (over 1.5 MB/sec, whilst streaming movies at 25 mbps on my PS3). I know that a local connection through the switch makes it so that my PS3 streams movies without using the internet, but this is a HUGE bonus in my eyes.

The switch itself is very sleek and attractive. It is lightweight but feels durable. I've had it on for around 16 hours now and it is not even warm. At this price, this switch is a steal. I'd recommend the 8-port over the 5-port for everyone, just in case you want to hook up more stuff to your network some day. The switch came with a small instructions booklet, but I didn't use it. No software or any other devices are included: it is solely the switch with the power supply and the small booklet. The device is truly plug-n-play, however, so you don't need any instructions. Just make sure your NIC is gigabit as well. I would recommend switching the default connection speed to 1000 mbps full duplex for all possible devices manually, instead of auto-negotiate (just to be sure you reach gigabit speeds).

In sum, for my needs of a small home network, this switch is perfect. My internet connection is blazing fast now due to ditching my WiFi, and I can stream HD movies without any stuttering. The switch exceeded all my expectations. Highly recommended!!

And, of course, thanks to Amazon for being so spectacular. I ordered this with 1-day shipping for 3.99 (under Prime shipping rules) and they one-nighted it from Arizona to Ohio to be delivered on a Saturday by FedEx! You rock Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal... Buy it!, May 18, 2010
Flyboy (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I am surprised this switch isn't more popular and widespread. 8 ports, gigabyte speed, small size, sturdy metal construction yet light, plenty of indicator lights, green power management and fabulous low price. While not needed, take 5 seconds to read the instructions so you understand the indicator lights.

Do I like it? I now own three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Cool, June 10, 2012
I picked up two of these after my previous managed switch bit the dust during a power outage. They're not particularly exciting to setup -- just drop them in and go. Supposedly they support jumbo frames, but I haven't had an opportunity to test that out. These have definitely run cooler than I expected. I used to be able to feel the heat off of my previous unit by hovering my hand about half a foot away. The TRENDnet units are cool to the touch even when I'm pushing large files between boxes for extended periods of time. This purchase has been a win for me. Simpler configuration that runs cooler -- and my renter moved out so I don't even really miss some of the advanced options I used to have like QOS and VLANs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a quality 8-port gigabit switch, August 25, 2010
I've had some bad luck with low quality networking equipment, so I was a little skeptical of this item, though it was inexpensive. I'm also skeptical of "green" equipment since low power consumption usually implies poor performance with cheap devices. So anyway, this thing has not dissapointed. True gigabit performance, works quite well, obviously not managed, easy to mount, and does not produce a lot of heat. This "green" switch actually thus has come in handy since it's mounted in a closet that does NOT have a lot of airflow around it. So kudos to TRENDnet! I'd buy it again before any other options.

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›