Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on February 11, 2014
This review is specifically for the TEW-811DRU AC1200. It's strange that Amazon lumps different routers onto the same review page.

It has been running flawlessly for a month with very high-speed and high-throughput. I upgraded from the Linksys WRT-54G running DD-WRT firmware because the low WAN-to-LAN throughput of the old router could no longer handle the 100 Mbps+ internet service I upgraded to (CondoInternet in Seattle).

I picked this router because of its high WAN-to-LAN throughput in particular. Testing from SmallNetBuilder and my own suggested that it could sustain 500-600 Mbps, which is a good margin higher than the old Linksys (by about 20x), the Linksys' older processor simply could not manage the data rate and would choke the connection down to about 15-20 Mbps.

The first thing I did upon setting up the router was to go to TrendNet's website and downloaded the latest firmware (1.0.4.0 as of this writing). It was very straightforward to upload to the router and the interface was clean and simple. I have uploaded a screen capture.

A very good feature of this router is that it arrived with security already enabled. You would find a set of specific password and pass-phrase (for wireless) on a label. This is a much improved way than in the past, when most routers came with a set of shared default username and password. If the user is not savvy enough to change those, it is basically an invitation for hackers to get into your network. For that, kudos to the TrendNet team.

Setting up the rest of the router was simple. There is a wizard mode for the common users, but going through the tabs for application routing and other slightly more advanced admin related features were also very easy.

There is now no limitation on the upload and download speed with the new 100 Mbps connection. Plugging into the service directly and through the router have the same throughput.

The wireless signal is strong and all of the tablets/laptops and media devices are showing very good signal strength, all higher than the old Linksys. Getting 150 mbps+ connection within the WLAN is pretty typical throughout my condo.

All in all, I am very happy with the router. I have matched it to a TrendNet Green Switch for the local gigabit network, and everything is the way it should be. I am not sure why others are having trouble with their DLNA devices, mine are working flawlessly and I can both access the uPnP/DLNA server and I can even push via foobar and Windows Media Player to my media renderers. At under $100, the performance is very respectable and the stability is solid. It serves the exact purpose I bought it for. Another choice could have been the ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router at about double the cost, which was "recommended" by the ISP. By all means, the Asus would be a better/faster router, but for my purpose, I do not see the need for that level of performance for the next two, three years, and also, there would have been no WAN-to-LAN throughput difference given that my connection caps at 100 Mbps. If somehow I upgrade to the 1 Gbps service, I may change my mind. For now, I have saved myself quite a bit of cash, but have the performance that I need and more.

For those who have issues with their router, please update the firmware FIRST, then read the manual (if you are unfamiliar with networking), and setup the router properly. It should work very well. Mine has been running for over a month without a single drop of signal or the internet connection; and I do log my connection with one of my servers.

Hope this is helpful!

UPDATE: August 4th, 2015: The router has been running continuously and flawlessly since February 2014. It has now been one and a half year. I have since also updated to the 1.0.8 firmware. I have not experienced any downtime, nor degradation of speed (and I have monitoring on my home network) both wired or wireless. I would affirm the 5-star rating, money very well spent.
review image review image
on February 22, 2015
This is a Great Router Out of the Box, but it becomes a SPECTACULAR router when you install DD-WRT on it.
Here is a step by step on how to do that.

Once you have DD-WRT on it you can block websites, set up a guest wifi, setup a hotspot that you charge for or only allow if the people "Like" you on Facebook. This is a great choice for schools, small businesses, homes, and apartments.

You can also use it as a print server, NAS for sharing files, and FTP.

If you have one and a friend has one you can use Ethernet over IP to create a private connect between the two of you for sharing files and printers. This is great for offices and remote workers.
on September 7, 2014
I haven't seen any reviews using DD-WRT on this. Just go to www.dd-wrt.com to download the latest. So I'm here to say it's has been working perfectly for a week now. Flashing DD-WRT is the same as flashing the stock firmware. I didn't bother updating to the stock firmware and went straight to DD-WRT since most of my routers run it. Haven't had to reboot yet so I think it's stable. I haven't tested out the range since I also use an Archer C7 router as an AP (bridge). According to my Galaxy S5, the connection link speed range from 450-570 mbps. I run 4 laptops, 2 desktop, 3 tablets, 4 phones, 3 xboxes as media extenders. It has handled everything as expected. Will update if anything goes wrong.

Update: After a couple months of using this, I have to say that I can't recommend this router even with DD-WRT. Wifi speed has been degraded. I will try to revert back to the lastest stock firmware and update the review later.
on March 18, 2014
It took me a few days of off and on work. I used the same settings as I had in a Linksys router and for whatever reason the DHCP never would get a response from the DNS servers. I tried several different ones.

After emailing support a Mr. Kuo helped me. I am a Comcast customer but what worked for me was Google's DNS.

Now that the wired and wireless dual bands are up and going, it works great. I've speed tested comparing before and after and gotten some significant speed boosts. My old router was a WRT54G ver 6. With it all of my devices averaged between 10-20Mbps. Now I'm getting 20-40Mbps. My laptop wired went from 44 to 58. Ping times are still pretty similar.

UPDATE: Afer ~2.5 months of owning the router, the wireless has gotten incredibly weak. My speeds have dropped down to 1-2 Mbps. If I am right in front of it I get around 10 Mbps which is what my old router used to do all over the house. I can literally start the speed test and watch the speed gradually clime as I get closer to the room. It is now virtually worthless for anything besides wired.
on February 4, 2015
Great once it was properly configured and running DD-WRT. It's gone as long as 48 days without a reboot and wifi has been consistently strong and stable. I'm really surprised by the unit, even after almost a year.

Edit 4/2/15 - Still going strong. By the looks of the reviews, I got a good one. I have 6 networks configured, with various levels of firewall configurations, with 2 being hard-lined, and with one wireless as a completely isolated guest network. A recent WiFi change by my neighbors caused me some issues, but with the scanning tools in DDWRT, I was able to find an unused channel and avoid that interference with ease. I also have not noticed any significant loss in WiFi signal. Still an epic 5-star router for me.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 2, 2014
There are a lot of other wifi networks in my neighborhood and I was looking for a newer router to use the newer 5GHz N band and try the new AC band. The setup went fine with this router, but it was unable to maintain a connection with a machine for more than 10-20min without requiring the client machine to disconnect and reconnect. This problem happened on four different machines (2 macbook pros and 2 macbook airs). I updated the firmware and tried several other fixes without success.

Although it's too late to return it, I bought the Netgear Nighthawk instead and it's been working flawlessly on the 5GHz N band since I installed it.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Taylor,

I am so sorry that this router didn't meet your expectation. If you still keep this router I would like to see if I can assist to get it up and running as you want it to. I would suggest to download and install InSSIDer from the following site, http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/ on your computer and to help locate and configure the least congested 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel. If this still doesn't help please email me directly at adrian@trendnet.com with "Amazon TEW-811DRU review" in the subject line and I will respond immediate to troubleshoot with you. I look forward to your reply soon.

Warmest regards,

Adrian
on March 9, 2016
I should have listened to the reviews. But I'm an EE and i needed a fast bridge, and it was $17 and runs DD-WRT, so i figured I would see if I could get it working, bad reviews be damned. Well, i tried it with the latest 10.0 Trendnet firmware as well as the latest build of DD-WRT and even the older build that is on trendnet's own website. I have a mac network and I use a lot of Airplay speakers around the house. No matter how I connected to the network--WDS, Client Bridge, Repeater Brdige, any firmware--i could never see all of my speakers, just some (internet worked fine). After trying pretty much every config, i gave up, flashed it back to stock and returned it. All that said, I think it could be a good gateway router for cheap using DD-WRT, but it's literally worthless as a bridge to me.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on July 25, 2014
I upgrades from my previous TRENDnet router due to its age and outdated firmware. I cannot recommend the 811dru for anyone unless you use it is the same room or no more than one drywall between the router and your device. Two walls is more than it can handle. Two walls away and the signal strength fell to 36%, not nearly enough to enable my DVD player to access the internet much less play Netflix videos, which my previous router was able to due without problem. The only plus, my Panasonic TV, in the same room with the router works great on 5G that is the only reason I gave it two stars instead of one. Bottom line, should have stayed with my old router. This will be the last TRENDnet router I purchase.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Ronald,

I apologize for the overall frustration this has caused you. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at adrian@trendnet.com if you have any questions or need further assistance. Thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable to us and helps us gain more knowledge on how to improve.

Please also include a link to this review in your email.

Warm Regards,
Adrian
TRENDnet Support Team
www.trendnet.com/support
on August 22, 2015
The heatsinking really needs to be upgraded for reliable operation, as in the CPU easily reaches 90C in its stock configuration! The antennas are just pieces of stamped sheet metal and don't give much range, plus they, for whatever reason, decided to use a suboptimal combined 2.4GHz/5GHz design even though there's way more than enough room for separate antennas. The capacitors are also on a small side to begin with and are probably the cause of early failures as reported by other users. On the plus side, the less than $30 price I got it for is by far the cheapest I have ever seen for an AC1200 router. Great for the electronics DIYer.
on October 23, 2014
Hoped beyond reason that this would seamlessly replace an older TrendNet single band device. Even though it states gigabit LAN connections, my LAN speeds plummeted when it was attached. IGMP streams were non existent after configuration, leading to severe headache. after reinserting old router back, speeds and thruput returned to established rates. Search harder for 5Ghz replacement, because this isn't it. Also ran much hotter to the touch than I would be comfortable with, but internet stuttering, no matter what bandwidth or channels selected is inacceptable, especially when I didn't have that issue before...