5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than I was looking for
This AP has it all - 802.11b/g/n, Power over Ethernet, decent user interface, good configuration flexibility, all the options you could ever want.

Published on October 21, 2010 by Ted Hajduk

3.0 out of 5 stars weaker range than some older N300 devices
Great interface, highly configurable. Very attractive appearance. POE makes mounting potentially easier but you will near a power-injector (NOT included). Signal and range appear weaker than they should be. Price seems to be appropriate for what it is. I would rather pay more and get killer range and penetration like in a higher-end D-Link unit.
Published on February 28, 2011 by R. Papasian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than I was looking for, October 21, 2010
Ted Hajduk (Morton Grove, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TRENDnet Wireless N 300 Mbps 18 dBm High Gain Ceiling Mount PoE Access Point, WDS and Repeater, TEW-653AP (Personal Computers)

I found this item when I searched Amazon for a Power over Ethernet AP. I wanted to finally install an AP in a permanent location in my house (instead of hanging off my desk) but I didn't want the hassle of having to run BOTH a power line AND an Ethernet cable to the device. Just to be clear, the PoE (Power over Ethernet) function allows you to use ONE cable (the ethernet cable) for both power for the device AND the network connection to the device. The power supplied to the device is DC low wattage (less than 20 watts)

In addition, "SHE ... who must be obeyed" had some "concerns" about the appearance of any ceiling-mounted AP and how it might clash with the decor (multiple black antennas hanging down like a large spider). Also, I wanted a device that a Network Engineer (20+ years experience) didn't think was a toy.

This device had exceeded my expectations. First (and most important - after all, SHE must be obeyed) the appearance was clean and neat - a white cylinder, a little thicker than a smoke detector - the antennas were all inside the unit, nothing dangling.

Once I configured the device at my desk upstairs (gotta start somewhere) we were off. I dragged my notebook downstairs and checked NetStumbler - the signal strength was -20dB - I carried it outside and walked 200' away from my property line and still got -45dB (ok - I was impressed). Dropped NetStumbler and fired up FireFox and it was fast.

Back to the desk and configure the basics I use (no SSID Broadcast, mac address filtering, WPA2, PSK, etc., etc.) - was straight forward, the interface was all intuitive (well, ok, I'll admit it - intuitive for a Network Engineer - I don't know how to NOT know the things I know and to see the screens as the "average" person sees them - if you have any issues, ask the IT geek in your friend circle for help and bake them a plate of cookies).

The best part was the final physical installation! Since the coverage was so good, I was able to drop my original plans to install it on the 1st floor ceiling (drill hole between floors, run power and ethernet, large mounting area for power transformer, etc.) and instead opted for the 2nd floor ceiling - very near the "utility room" (where I have my cable modem, router, firewall, phone punch-down blocks, etc.). I drilled a hole in the ceiling of the utility room (into the attic), and another in the ceiling of the 2nd floor atrium. I attached the mounting plate around the 2nd hole (light-duty plastic anchors and screws included), ran the cat5 cable between the holes, plugged the cable into the AP and push-twist (think bayonet connectors) and it was mounted!

Back at the utility room - plug the other end into the TrendNet PoE injector (I had to buy that separately), plug the injector into the power strip and move the cable (I was previously using at my desk) to the injector - and I was done.

Since then - no problems whatsoever. It's been running without any intervention for about 4 months now. We have 3 Windows XP notebooks and 1 Windows 7 notebook - we have had multiple simultaneous streaming video sessions active at the same time with no problems. The AP looks good as you walk up the stairs (I made sure to orient the mounting plate so the 3 blue LEDs would present a symmetrical appearance - very cool - you can also turn the LEDs off if you want).

I have been recommending this item to my friends and to several business that I support.

The only thing I have left to determine is longevity. A lot of the APs I have used in the past have burned out in 6-9 months - we'll see. I'll try to revisit this review after a year and let you know. I'm also going to try to set up a test for dropped packets (as I read in the other review) and report on it too.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally JUST an access point, March 23, 2010
DH (East Middle of Nowhere, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Finally just an access point that has all the features you would normally see in units starting at 3x the cost in a package stylish enough that it can be placed where it is needed in the home or office. Mine is in the center hallway of the house and draws the eye no more than the smoke detector. I will be recommending and installing this for both residential and commercial customers in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars INDUSTRIAL QUALITY, VLAN SUPPORT, MULTI-SSID, PoE SAVE TIME/MONEY, May 11, 2011
It has been over a year and a half and I'm still very pleased with this trendnet PoE access point. I am running two off a TPE-S44 PoE switch ( a newer greennet version is available with gigabit speeds) with no issues at all. At this site the unit is mounted using the provided base and mounting screws above a suspended ceiling into the concrete supporting the floor above. A simple a reliable physical installation. Reliable and with excellent range and reliable connections in a steel and concrete building across floors!

At 2 other sites I am using the VLAN feature so the single access point is able to provide both a public network access WLAN and a private office WLAN and the VLAN keep them separate. Sweet! All is flawless in operation. All are running on PoE. Speed is excellent and the TEW653AP is a proven commercial quality access point. At these sites this the units are mounted into drywall using the supplied mounting hardware. While less solid than concrete the quality of mounting is more than sufficient. It is an excellent choice for flexible, reliable and excellent performing access point that is unobtrusive and easy to install.

This PoE unit is easy to configure and install. First, I always update the firmware if it is not the latest. The web interface is simple, intuitive provides a fine degree of control. VLAN support provides the potential of having multiple independent concurrent networks getting wireless access on the same hardware and LAN connection! Very cool.

The included mounting hardware was a breeze to install about a suspended ceiling with s small masonry bit and a screwdriver. Getting power over the LAN connection is a time and money saver. No need to run A/C power to the install location - just the low power LAN cable from the Trendnet PoE switch we installed in the wiring closet down the hall.

The coverage is excellent over the whole end of the building including somewhat reduced areas of the floors above and below. Pretty good through concrete and steel floors!

This is great for commercial or residential spaces where you need an unobtrusive wireless access point with good range and a discrete footprint.

Hope this helps someone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good... not great..., February 18, 2012
James Carter (San Tan Valley, AZ) - See all my reviews
First off I have owned this device for approximately a year now. So I've got a bit of time into this device. I do enjoy the VLAN tagging while using the device as an AP. I distribute IP's via DHCP from my pfSense edge device. This access point is fast and looks good up on the wall above the plant shelf (14 feet up).

Now... what I do not like about the device... you MUST operate on the default 192.168.10.x subnet. If you attempt to change the IP it is accepted until the device is restarted. Trust me I've been fighting with this one for months and have a current support ticket regarding the issue. Also... keep in mind if you change the password for accessing the web managment gui... the max password length is 12 characters. I used keepass to generate a 13 character password and was promptly locked out. Through trial and error I figured out that it took 12 of the characters and any more was considered the "wrong password". If you have no other networks / subnets in your home / office this device is quite handy. IF you have a more advanced setup be aware that some frustration comes with this device.

I've requested Trendnet update the firmware to fix the "LAN IP reset to default on boot" issue. The password issue could easily be addressed by throwing a (MAX Length) on the password reset page. I'm sure others had to reset and reconfigure due to this issue, what a pain! I only took 1 star off because though these simple issues irk me they are rather simple for me to address in my environment. If however I was attempting to use this system in a business network... the IP issue may cause me to purchase a different device or just build up a DD-WRT device and save myself the headache.

I am on the latest firmware kernel and application... 1.2.1 dated from 08/2010. I DO flash via the LAN and not any of my WLAN subnets...

3.0 out of 5 stars weaker range than some older N300 devices, February 28, 2011
R. Papasian (Encino, CA, US) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars So far So GOOD, May 28, 2011
Since my Fios router is not at an centralized location at my home(my fault). I got this Trendnet PoE access point to extend my network. I am new to this PoE. This access point is better than I thought now the whole house has access to the internet. Few things to consider.

1. This unit does not come plug and play but easy to install and configure
2. Read the directions to access the router because it needs to be set to Access Point(well at least mine did).
3. Also you need the TRENDnet Gigabit Power over Ethernet (PoE) Injector TPE-111GI if you want the Power over Ethernet capabilities. Doesn't come with is AP. Thank goodness for James Carter pictures of this AP cause I would of forgot to order the Injector.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Designed WAP Firmware, November 21, 2011
The TEW-653AP has two things going for it:
1) It isn't a gaudy color that attracts attention, ergo you can hide it in plain sight.
2) PoE support means you only need to worry about running CAT-5e, which is nice.

However, the firmware is a shoddy port of their wifi router firmware, and it's rather out of place in a WAP. First, every time you make a change, the device wants to reboot itself, and that takes 15~30 seconds. You have to do that on *each* page. There is no way to batch changes together and then reboot to have them all simultaneously take effect. Second, the whole point of a WAP is to connect wireless clients to an existing wired network with existing services. However, the TEW-653AP doesn't have a DHCP client but *does* have a DHCP server which is nothing short of stupid. There is no use case for the DHCP server since the device has no NAT capability; it functions only in AP mode, repeater mode, or WDS bridge mode. Since the DHCP server defaults to off and there is no DHCP client, you have to pull a machine off of your network and assign it a static IP just to set up the TEW-653AP. If it had a DHCP client, it would "just work" right out of the box in most networks.

There are far superior Wifi N routers available in terms of both performance and functionality which can also be run as APs and cost less than this one. Buy this one only if you want the smoke detector aesthetic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent features for the money, July 19, 2011
Adam N (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
I needed an AP that had PoE and supported VLANs. The TEW-653AP had those features at a very reasonable price.

Installation went smoothly, with no issues. It has a nice mounting system so you can easily mount it to a wall or a ceiling. The web interface is ok -- good enough to configure the AP effectively. I've had 2 of these running for a couple of weeks now and they've been flawless.

For those of you that are energy conscious, they seem to draw about 2w most of the time. I've seen one as high as 4w once.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., June 5, 2013
This is a relabeled EnGenius EAP-9550. It is the *exact* same hardware, but the firmware is outdated. TRENDnet just stopped releasing firmware upgrades (and no, it won't take the EnGenius firmware despite being hardware-identical). Among things newer firmware upgrades that TRENDnet never made available did was increase the max associations beyond the 31 that this unit is limited to.

The hardware is nice, but dated. EnGenius has their new EAP-600 available for not a whole lot more that is dual-band, supports far more simultaneous users, and is in a much sleeker package. That makes it very hard for me to even consider recommending this unit unless you get an amazing deal, it's not awful - simply dated and no longer supported.

5.0 out of 5 stars Served my purpose well., March 15, 2014
Works very well for my pupose. Strong, consistent signal. Easy setup. Installation was easy. Looks very similar to my smoke detectors. Would recommend this product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›