although these cameras do not give the best video clarity past about 20 yards as far as being able to recognize a face overall the clarity is quite well.I use one to monitor my entry door, and with the included software it's great. you can set up movement activation zones(2 per camera where you want to catch movement) the cameras will record as long as movementis detected . I use it to cover my entry door with the motion trigger boxes drawn over the door and the other over a small adjacent window any motion detected is recorded and an email alert us sent to my android phone.then I use a 3rd party program to view and record right to my phone also. IP View by Robert Chou. works great. avail in the android play store free or as paid version gives you access to a whole slew other features.

if your trying to cover a parking lot this probably isn't the best choice.but for home use they are great little units. you will have to open as port on your router and I use a free IP service dyndns to resolve.
on December 1, 2013
My expectation was low having read some of the reviews, but after a few hours of tweaking I would say it's not bad. I was able to get it up and and running on WiFi rather quickly. You would point your web browser to the camera's web server to set things up rather than use WPS. I was able to view on my web browser, as well as the TrendNet SecureView app on Android. This camera actually supports more dynamic DNS sites that my main router so I was able to get a DNS entry up and running. The intriguing thing was that the TrendNet mobile app only works with the LAN address but not the WAN address. For the latter I had to use IP Cam Lite as other people suggested.

Night vision works but not through window glass. No surprise as the IR light gets reflected by the glass it seems. So if I want to use it to monitor the outside at night, I might be out of luck or would have to try installing it outdoors, but its operating temperature range is 0-degree C to 40-degree C. And rain may kill it. So that cost the camera one star.

Another drawback is audio. There is a pretty bad clicking sound (static) which was supposed to be caused by the WiFi radio built-in. When I hooked it up to an ethernet cable which supposedly turned the WiFi radio off, the static went down considerably but was still audible.
on October 22, 2012
Style Name: DayVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The camera works, but confusing instructions and software make this a headache to set up and run. I started with the simple-looking 3-step process on the box: 1)unpack box (yes really, that's step one), 2)insert CD and 3)run Install Camera wizard.

The Install Camera wizard, the first selection on the menu that appears when you run the CD, takes you through the steps of WPS setup (push buttons on the router and camera) and setting an admin password. Done; now I want to see some video. So I followed the PDF user guide and opened the Setup Wizard on the menu. An Install Wizard opened and asked if I want to install the Setup Wizard. Didn't I just go through the Install Wizard? And why a wizard for setting up a wizard? I installed the setup wizard anyway, and when it prompted with a logon screen, I tried to log in - and it wouldn't accept my new password OR the default "admin" password. I had to reset the camera and start all over again.

So, DON'T use the Setup Wizard on the CD menu. Just use the Install Camera wizard, open a browser, and go to the IP address of the camera to see the video. The video looks ok for a security camera, and there's also audio, although the camera makes an annoying clicking sound.

The included software gets an F from me. I couldn't get the email feature to work (would not log in), the menus are in computerese, the java window takes forever to load and their own android app didn't download at all. Like the other reviewer suggested, IP Cam Viewer Lite works fine as a monitor, at least within my network. But what good is the motion detector if it doesn't even alert you, or anything?

If you don't know what SMTP or dynamic DNS or FTP are or why you'd want to know, you'll be going to Google or Wikipedia every step of the way, which really shouldn't happen for a consumer product. Instead of being written in geekspeak, the user guide should answer simple questions like "How do I record video?" or "How do I save those recordings?" or "How do I monitor the camera away from home?"

I haven't tried any other IP cameras, but there's got to be something better than this. At least something where the company's own software works, or doesn't feel like bloatware, and where the instructions are in plain English.

Update: I added another star because the camera has been working continuously for a few months now, and I can easily view it from within my wifi network on Android using IP Cam Viewer Lite or an ipod using NetCamViewer, both free third-party apps. I still can't figure out how to view it remotely, record video or get it to send alerts. But IF you can get it set up (or find a genius to do it for you) it works fine for indoor local use as a baby or pet or backyard monitor. I have it pointed out the window at the front door, so I can see who's at the door from other parts of the house just by looking at my ipod. This is definitely a better buy than the Vuezone camera system that not only costs more but requires a paid subscription for most features and registering on its site to use it at all.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2013
This camera has the same hardware and firmware as the latest D-Link models (several versions of which I also own). This is good and bad at the same time. You get a good image quality and some nice features. Except one feature that's crucial to many - you can not do scheduled motion detection. This means that motion detection is either always on or off. You can not have the camera switch it off, say at 5 PM when you get home or during the weekends. Previous Trendnet cameras that I own all have that feature and that's why I went with Trendnet again this time. Little did I know ...

So, in short, if you don't care about missing motion detection scheduling feature, get a real D-Link camera instead. You get the same experience for the same amount of money but the camera itself is smaller and looks much nicer.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Style Name: DayVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
TRENDnet's Wireless N Internet Camera is a nice product for the price. However setup can be on the tricky side. The camera comes with mounting hardware, power adapter, software and and ethernet cable. There are basically two ways to set this camera up. One is using the WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) button on your home wireless router/access point. That is if you have one and it hasn't been disabled to prevent someone from hacking your system. The other is to hardwire the camera via the ethernet cable to your router/access point and manually setup the device. The hardwired method is the one that I would recommend. It isn't hard to do and with most systems, using DHCP, IP addresses are automatically assigned. The tricky part is using the software. It will load a setup menu screen with several choices. The important ones are the top three 'Install Camera', 'Setup Wizard' and 'Install SecureView". The main thing to remember is to keep your password the same on the install camera and on the SecureView. I messed up my password and had to reset the thing before being allowed to get into the camera.
SecureView is designed to accept and manage multiple cameras for whatever system is being designed. Picture and sound quality are quite good on this camera. There is of course the, second or so, real-time delay but nothing that will cause much of a problem. I believe there is an app for android/iPhone but have not tried that as of yet. For the price this isn't a bad camera and one that is well worth getting for home/business monitoring.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bottom Line Up Front: This camera does what it's supposed to do but you will need to be patient and conduct some web research if you're not IT savvy. Don't assume you can plug-n-play 5 minutes out of the box. This was my first stand-alone IP camera that wasn't a PC-attached video chat camera.

Setup: I recommend using the included Ethernet cable on your router to get it configured as you will likely need to DL a firmware update on your PC and pass that to the camera. Since that will likely turn off the Wifi radio in the camera, you will want the wired connection there. The TRENDnet web site has the updated firmware when you're ready for it.

Your router will assign an IP to the camera, write it down and set up your router to reserve that IP address for the camera in the advanced settings section of your router's control panel. You don't want a power cycle on the router to re-assign its IP assignment. Mine is 192.168.1.10 on the LAN side. Opening a web browser on any tablet or PC on your home network and typing http://192.168.1.10 (or whatever your router assigned) will show the camera's home page as it has a web server built-in. The web page will have a screen image from the camera and some menu options.

Configuration: Use the provided CD and follow the instructions to get through th setup. One note right up front, motion detection will work if you have a computer OS and browser that allows unsigned, unverified ActiveX content from an external source. I had to use my daughter's Windows Vista OS and IE8 to get the camera's motion detection set-up image. If you don't see an image with a grid overlay (to turn on motion detection areas in the FOV), you won't get motion detection functionality.

Email: You will need to identify an email accout from which your camera can send images from. I knew from previous experience that trying to use Yahoo or Gmail wouldn't likely be supported so I used my ISP's email account as SMTP server information was easy to find. I then setup the camera to email my Yahoo account so I get reports on my phone or tablet no matter where I am. I tried both the interval email and motion email options and they worked fine. I have not tried the scheduled email option yet.

Streaming: To see streaming video from within your own home LAN, just visit the http web site for your camera's address or download a third party app. I use IPCam Lite (free) on my Apple iOS devices. You remotely turn off/on motion detection and LEDs from your smartphone. To see your camera's streaming video on the internet from anywhere in the world, you'll have some work to do.

Your home's IP address: Learn it, write it down, check it often. You can use this as an alternative to Dynamic DNS services that may cost you. Since most ISPs use dynamic assignments for resdential consumers (unless you already have a static IP), you will need to set up your viewing app with this IP address to get to your house from the internet. You willl also have to poke a hole in your routers firewall to allow outside access to your camera. Each router is different in this regard so research port forwarding and how to add a port number to an IP address. For example, if your home IP address is 50.80.122.253 and you are forwarding your camera's port to port 21, you'd enter 50.80.122.253:21 in the web address.

I have yet to try FTP and Dynamic DNS so no advice for those yet. Also, if you put this cam in a window to view an outdoor night scene, command the LED off and put it in Day Mode to turn IR LEDs off too. They reflect off of the window and spoil the image.
on March 5, 2015
Setup:
It is by no means easy to setup wirelessly. It was my first time setting up a surveillance camera and after following all of the instructions step by step I was only able to make it connect by resetting both the camera and wireless router [if you reset your router you will need to find out what your new "wifi password" key is]. To keep the camera from being disconnected when it's wireless you need to have some basic knowledge of networking, I mean being able to pull up ipconfig, assigning the camera a static IP address, etc, in order to keep it working days later after you first install and configure it.
Quality:
It is well built, the picture is very clear, perfect almost. This model does not have night vision, if someone can see in dim light or with a flashlight, you're not going to be able to tell who they are in the dark. Sturdy, includes 4 little soft things with glue that stick underneath so it doesn't scratch anything. Take a look at the picture in one of the provided manuals to see how to screw everything together, there is no actual instructions that instruct how to screw the camera together.
My advice if you're planning on buying this:
Don't even think about using the Trendnet ViewPro software unless you're a wiz when it comes to this surveillance stuff. I tried setting it up for motion-detection, ended up recording all the time, which used up all the hard drive space after less than a week. Needless to say I had to erase all the recorded footage as I needed to make more room on the hard drive. Instead I used and highly recommend a nifty little program called ispy, it's opensource [FREE] just google it. No I didn't pay for the pro version, the free version works just dandy.
Final thoughts:
If this is your first time setting one of these up, be prepared to spend a good 4-6 hours from start to finish, including tweaking the motion-detection if that's what you're after. Even then you will go back and probably change the range later but seriously be prepared to take 4-6 hours getting it installed and working properly on the computer.
This review is coming to you from someone who does computer repair for clients in-home and on-site for 10+ years.
I gave it 3 stars because I don't hate it, I'm happy with the amount I paid for it [roughly 50], but if you need to record anything that isn't WELL lit, you need to get the night-vision model, that woulda made it 4 stars, and if the program provided wasn't so user UNfriendly, that woulda made it 5 stars.
I have no plans on returning it, it's been working well for a couple weeks now, just wanted to pay it forward and offer this honest review.
on September 7, 2014
These are great little inexpensive IP cameras but the installation instructions are poor. I bought one of these and it took me a couple of days and a lot of internet research to get it to work. The first obstacle was the WPS wireless setup. The installation software would not find the camera using this method, so I just used the wired method using the included Ethernet cable connected directly to my router. The software recognized it immediately with this method and I was able to enter my router's SSID and password for wireless operation. The second obstacle was figuring out the difference between the camera's LAN address for local monitoring and the camera's WAN address for remote monitoring with a cell phone or work computer. To figure out the LAN address, you need to click on the "Click here to configure camera settings" on the last page of the camera setup wizard which is not very obvious. This will bring up a web configuration page that will have the camera's IP address in the address bar. You will need to write down this address for reference when setting up port forwarding on your router. The only thing that needs to be configured at this point is the port you want your router to use for forwarding. The default is port 80, but I found that my ISP blocks that port, so I changed it to 8080. Next, you will need to set up port forwarding on your router for remote monitoring. You will need to look up how to do this for your specific router model, but just be sure to use the IP address and port noted earlier. Now you need to find out your router's WAN address for remote monitoring. You can find this by googling "whatismyipaddress". Once you figure that out, you can download the trendnetview app and use the WAN address and port to map your camera. You can also remotely monitor your camera by entering your camera's WAN address and port in your web browsers address bar. For example, if your camera's WAN address is 51.32.214.134 and the port is 8080 then you would enter http://51.32.214.134:8080 and login to your camera. I bought 2 more after I figured out how to configure the first, so I like the camera's, but just wish they had better setup instructions. Hope this helps other IP camera newbies. Update - My cameras all stopped working at the same time. I found that since my router uses DHCP, it had assigned new IP addresses to all the cameras. I had to configure my router to reserve the IP addresses for the cameras to avoid this happening again. I think you can also configure your router so that the DHCP leases never expire, but you will need to research this for your specific router model.
on June 5, 2013
Difficult to set up but works well once the set up is complete. The technical support from TrendNet was terrible. The techs were rude and unhelpful on 2 separate calls I made trying to get assistance.
on October 18, 2014
Update: I increased the rating from one to three stars after I was able to desolder and remove the faulty DC input jack and solder the power adapter cord directly to the PCB. No more intermittent power connection.

Only lasted a few months.
Randomly went in and out of night mode regardless of light level.
And when it went into night mode the connection would drop for several minutes.
Furthermore, a bad connection developed either in the DC power connector or in the DC receptacle of the unit. The slightest touch on the cord would make it turn on and off.
I opened the unit to find that only one of the three screws were present that hold the PCB to the case. Also, the solder joints of the DC power plug had obviously been reworked.
However, resoldering the DC input jack made no difference. The jack obviously has an internal bad connection.

Also, good luck getting it to work with Java. Nearly every time I went into Administration something would not work because of a Java conflict or Java security setting.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...