Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TRENDnet Wireless Internet Surveillance Camera TV-IP100W-N
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 10, 2005
I bought this camera after the transmitter in one of D-Link DCS-900W wireless cameras died finally.

The TV-IP100W seems to have very similar if not identical hardware as the D-Link DCS-900W with a few added features such as picture email and FTP.

The TV-IP100W was very easy to configure and I got it up and running in just a few minutes. It seems that TrendNet has done a better job with the hardware and software design than D-Link.

The web interface of the TV-IP100W looks very similiar to its D-Link cousin and it works the same with the open source "motion" software.

Image quality is as good if not a little better than the D-Link model.

The lens of the TV-IP100W seems to be more susceptible to glare from light sources that are near the field of view. I may have to rig up some sort of cowling to keep the glare from my front porch light from interfering with the picture.

I bought this camera instead of another D-Link DCS-900W because I was tired of the finicky nature of the D-Link DCS-900W. So far it seems to be of similar if not better reliability.

The last word is that it doesn't look silly like the DCS-900W. The TV-IP100W actually looks like a camera and will probably fit in camera housing much easier than the D-Link model
on November 17, 2006
I recently installed this in my one bedroom city apartment - with very little hassle and easy setup. The installation of the program is a breeze for anyone who's managed a simple home router (linksys, dlink, etc) - with static/dynamic options, and web viewing configurations. Initially I was afraid viewing the system remotely would be limited to the spawn of web development known as activex, but they offered a cross browser java version as well. It does offer some remote saving features if you have your own server, but it's continuous, not motion based; I recommend Ben's Security Spy Software (SecuritySpy for your search, run you about 20-30 dollars) for those of you looking for a simple at home, mac, method of surveillance. My only gripe has been that it doesn't handle light too well... and at times it can make a picture washed out or too dark - but I expect a simple camera like this to not be near that flexible, and it does what it does much better than many of the other cameras in this price range (and I've taken back Linksys and D-Link ones prior to purchasing this one). Recommended for anyone wanting a decent home security system in the $100 price range or close too it.
on January 29, 2008
I purchased this camera to experiment with a home security setup. Rather than purchase an integrated security system and get stuck with software, cameras, etc, that I don't like, I decided to test some shareware software and go the route of IP cameras. Since wi-fi allows easy access anywhere within my house, IP cameras should work great. I spent several weeks comparison shopping and settled on the TV-IP100W based on its resolution (640x480) capability and wi-fi. I figured about $100 was a good price to test drive a home security system with different sharewares.

I was very pleased in that I had it operational via lan in 5 minutes. The wi-fi took a few minutes of tweaking with the router to make sure everything worked. I configured my router to always assign the same IP address to the MAC address on the camera and this worked great. I could only get WEP working, as the WPA seemed to elude my efforts. I stuck the camera up near a window overlooking my front lawn and entrance way and was amazed at the quality.

I ran the camera for the last 5 days continuosly and have had no problems. I've noticed the camera has some really good quality even at dusk and sunrise, but once the sun is down the camera is very poor and the image highly pixellated. Overall, this camera is exactly what I need and I plan on ordering two more, and am considering a fourth upgraded outside model with IR-LEDs and an external housing.

2008-02-29 It's been one month of continous power-on operation. The camera has never failed to function properly. The images are superb and exceed my expectations. I'm ordering 2 more today to put onto the network and test their viability as well. Given other folks reviews and their quality concerns, I'll post again later as to my experiences.

2008-11-30 It's been 10+ months of continuous operation of 4 cameras. I have all four corners of my house monitored looking out thru windows. The cameras haven't lost any quality of picture or had issues with continuity of service. The i-Catcher Console software I'm using continuously polls each camera 4 times a second capturing imaging information and also publishing to an integrated web service giving me remote access to all 4 cameras via the web. I'm very pleased with the cameras.

My recommendation to folks is to start simple, plug into the lan jack and get it running there. Disable any ip blocking software like Norton. Also, if the router only allows certain ranges (192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.99) then you'll have issue accessing 192.168.1.20. This is not the cameras fault - it's your routers. Start there and get each piece working. You'll have these kinds of problems anytime you add IP devices to your network.
on November 7, 2007
I have four of these, they work quite well. Won the earthlink top 10 webcams with them. The only possible problems you might run into is that they may be a little sensitive to AC line noise. I have two installed in a rural area where the power is not the cleanest I have seen, and about once every couple of weeks one or the other hangs up and has to be reset. I finally bought some timers and power them off once a day. Two others I have installed in a little better area have no problems at all. They do have motion detection, but it appears to be PC based and so you can't have the camera email a photo when it detects motion unless a PC is hooked up.

I also have a linksys camera and these cameras are 100 times better, although the linksys will email you a video clip when it detects motion, although the motion detection is so insensitive as to be useless (on the linksys).

These cameras will email a snapshot on a schedule, but not a video clip. They do have a built in ftp client and upload an image on a schedule, and this feature works very well. To see an example image, check [...] these are the cameras in the rural area.
on July 14, 2006
Assembly was easy,didn't need the manual.Had no problems accessing the camera from my pc.Picture was very good considering the low resolution and if there was enough light.Configuring the camera was very easy.I was unable to access at first it remotely but after contacting the online support,who was extremely helpful, I was able to view the camera's homepage.But since my comapany has firewall restrictions,I was unable to view a live picture but the online support was able to.Overall it's very good camera.
on January 9, 2008
The camera works very well and the picture is clear. As daylight leaves the picture quality diminishes rapidly. Very good light is required. The problem with Trendnet is the service. I needed to configure my computer and router. It took 1-2 days every time I wanted to speak with someone and if I had to speak tho an agent a second time there was another 1-2 day wait. I am not a tech person and remote access required several settings to be correct. It took me over week to get enough support to get the cameras to work as described. The product manuals assume a certain level of knowledge that I would suspect the average camera installer doesn't have.
on March 29, 2007
The camera sends out reasonable quality video in daylight, with low light performance being pretty bad, but I don't think you can reasonably expect more for the price. The setup was straightforward, and went without a hitch. My only real quibble is that the lens angle is extremely narrow. You can't use this as a security camera, as you'll never be able to see anything close to an entire room. I note though that there aren't any (at least that I can find) wide angle network cameras without going into a price range that I can't really afford, so I'll stick with what I have.
on September 29, 2007
Works great, right out of the box, compatible with all browsers I've thrown at it, Safari, Firefox, Explorer. Good wireless range. If you're looking at DLink, stop it! Get the Trendnets. I've several WIFI cameras, and these give you the least trouble. Linksys is pretty solid, but only works with Windows, basically. Also loses it's mind occassionally. The Trendnets have neither of these problems.
on January 16, 2008
I'm using mine as a baby cam. Also, I have it put a picture on my ftp server every 15 minutes, and run scheduled (AT command) batch files to copy the newest jpg to a known file name. Then, I or my family just click the link (ftp://name:pswd@[...]) and look at the latest picture.

I use dyndns.org and some software to keep my home computer's IP updated there. This lets me remotely use a domain name instead of IP address.

To initially configure it, I had to change the IP of my other computer wired to my router to 192.168.0.x I then configured the wireless camera for 192.168.1.20 and put in the WEP code.

I have a web server on port 80, so I configured it to also use port 81 (which I put in my browser as :81 after the URL.) I told my Linksys router to send port 81 (and the higher ports the camera uses) to 192.168.1.20.

It's nice just being able to move it around and plug it into the wall outlet.
on December 15, 2007
Easy setup - had it working in 5 minutes. Pretty good application for your windows pc also -- goes out and finds video camera for you to logon and make adjustments to the setup. I have it pointed outside - thru a window and have had no trouble in the 4 weeks it has been online. I even see cars go by at night (headlights fly by) -- it's been very valuable to me as I am on the other side of the world from my normal home right now.