Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 12, 2010
I like the System, easy interface, so many set up options!
Overall opinion, recommend, very happy with purchase, my main concern was power outages and the ability for the system to manage a UPS and shut down as needed, and this puppy does this!

Only one personal thought, as I like to run drives as cool as possible!

The temperature fan control can not be automatically adjusted for temperatures below the 45°C which means the drives are starved of air flow, more so on the center drives - 2 & 3!

The only work around is to set the fan into manual mode fan run 24/7, in LOW - MED - HIGH!

HDD temp control is paramount over System Temp, well for me!

My System has 4 2TB HDD, with the fan set in Auto mode, temps as follows, system idle, I am yet to test the rig while under constant data load!

System temperature 38°C/100°F
HDD 1 temperature 42°C/107°F
HDD 2 temperature 47°C/116°F
HDD 3 temperature 47°C/116°F
HDD 4 temperature 45°C/113°F

Once the Fan was set to LOW HDD temp dropped to 76°F across the board!
Not so noisy, but I do not have it in the AV room with TV so I have no concern with fan noise!

Later,
Matt.
on December 31, 2010
Having had this NAS for a while now, I'm extremely pleased. Most of the products that are out there and around this price range have big limitations somewhere (must use specific drive manufacturers, small RAID options, slow transfer speed, etc.). This device STARTS with the 4 drive option (with a huge range of supported drives) and then is capable of EXPANSION with more devices! It can also use TWO Ethernet NICs to drive up the speed (assuming you have a switch to handle that and your computer has the available bandwidth to it). Right now I just have the single 100Mbps connection though and still get 6.5-8 MBps (that's up to 64 Mbps for those looking at network bandwidth and not file transfer speeds).

The setup was easy and needed minimal instructions. If you are looking for more options, not only does this have the built-in media player, web server, etc...but it's based on a Linux flavor so it's going to be very modifiable for those that have the drive to expand its abilities even further.

I had never heard of QNAP before this purchase, and saw some of the problems that people have had with them. I'm having none of that, and at least based on this one purchase I would definitely take the chance on this product line in the future!
on November 17, 2010
I have owned this NAS for almost a year now and have absolutely no complaints. Set up is very easy and it has done everything I needed it to do and more. I use it as storage for all of my music, movies, and pictures among all of my other files. I use the web interface extensively from work and on the road. I use both secure web and ftp with no problems. Speed has been just fine. Qnap forums have been great for references and the additional software applications from Qnap are intriguing. The only thing left that I wish it had was a Calibre e book server for my wife's Kindle and I would be all set. Overall I highly recommend for reliability and ease of use. Great value.
on March 2, 2011
I purchased the TS-410 several weeks ago and have been very impressed with it. In terms of features it has everything I'm looking for and more. I enjoyed the setup process which was very straightforward and I'm glad to say very Mac friendly. I can't say enough about the web administration. It is the first web application I've seen that has the look and feel of a local native app. It includes very comprehensive status monitoring of the NAS including real time BW, Memory, CPU monitor, and process list!

I don't regret purchasing the lower end model (compared to to the 500 series) as the CPU has not been a bottleneck for me and I don't think there is much use to a display on the face of the box. I have setup the iTunes server for a library of almost 8000 songs. I did run into a problem with this which turned out to be due to some corrupt ID3 tags. I was able to use the SSH access and modify the run script for the iTunes server to log all the details of the library cataloging and identify the specific song files that were offending the server.

All the power of Linux is at your fingertips with this box! Setting up the web server is a snap. The user permissions and share setup are made very easy. I haven't been able to get the e-mail alerts working but this is a minor glitch. I always receive an error that the test message couldn't be sent check settings. I'm also happy with the bundling of Twonky Media Server. It was also very easy to setup. I use this box to serve up to XBMC and PLEX and so far it has been flawless. Oh, and the protocol compatibility is a plus! It works very well on my network via both AFP and SMB! And there's the built-in bit torrent client and web file server....The list goes on and on!

I just did a hot firmware update yesterday and it went perfectly. Not a single hitch.

All in all, a very good investment. Highly recommended.
on November 9, 2011
I have used this product for 1 week now but I am quite impressed with it already. This is a NAS SERVER so if you are looking for just a dumb (or RAID) disk enclosure then this will be an overkill (I recommend the Startech S354UFER (crazy name but great product) which is an excellent RAID enclosure).

At this price this is a real quality product. The disks were a breeze to install, the metal frame seems both solid and also made installing the disks easier. Booted up properly when powered up and gave the correct BIOS beep sequence (it takes a few minutes to get through the boot sequence so watch for the lights and the beeps). I initially had a bad disk (stay away from the WD Caviar Greens :-() and got on a skype session with their tech support. They were really knowledgeable and prompt. And their english was crisp as well. They helped me discover the bad disk issue.

Remember to update firmware when you first configure server (it will be the first screen you are presented). The latest firmware is on their website. Which is another plus - their company website has good information which is easy to locate.

Since then I have put in two Hitachi 2GB disks in there in RAID-1 configuration. Everything is working fine. I use it as a file server, backup storage, system image storage and media server. Currently using it at home from where I do quite a lot of my business related work and have this nifty box serving up files for my business shares as well as for family members with their documents, photos, audio and video files.

The product comes with a rich suite of software pre-installed on the server which all work really well. I have had no issues and I have used a lot of the product's features (backup to external drive, setting up shares, NFS exporting of shares to my Ubuntu backup server, users, groups, Web File Manager, Multimedia Station (have tried photo slideshows and mp3 streaming which both worked well), Windows file sharing). I have been hitting this box pretty hard this last week. And it just keeps me smiling.

It's always so heartening when a product comes with so many useful and easy to use features and they all just work as you expect.

5-stars all the way. The price is unbeatable for such a useful product. I highly recommend it if you are in the market for a NAS server that does the job.

In the coming months I will set it up as a web server with DyDNS to get access to my files from outside my home firewall. That requires some careful thinking through security...

If there is any nit I can find it is that they external body could have been made more sturdy. It has a plasticy feel to it. My box sits among sturdy servers and I fear for it getting dents from hard knocks. A sturdy metal case would have been great.
on October 25, 2011
I've wanted NAS primarily to better store (around 120gb) of my music, pictures, home videos and other documents that shouldn't sit around on a single drive. What prompted me to finally make the jump here was setting up a media center to be as quiet as possible (meaning no large HDD clicking away while watching TV. I purchased this intending to put it in a corner somewhere and store all of my recorded TV on a share on it. It turned out to offer FAR better options for this task than I knew when I bought it.

PROs:
* Web UI is super easy to use, no Linux knowledge required at all. Set up was totally guided and clearly set expectations.
* iSCSI is the feature I didn't know I needed. By setting up an iSCSI target, my Media Center treats the drive like a local disk, no share troubleshooting required.
* One-Touch Copy. I can plug an external drive in (or USB Key), push a button, and everything in the specified share will be backed up for me. This is great as I keep my pictures and music backed up to an external drive and store it at work for disaster protection. I can't schedule it (which this does as well) since I never know when I'll remember to bring the drive home.
* Two network ports! I have one port dedicated to my Media Center (quad HD tuners can eat up bandwidth), and the other port for the rest of my network
** I currently have 4 machines total on my network; my game machine, my wife's machine, a development server, and the Media Center. Not counting a bevy of wireless devices that can also reach the shares.) Only during my initial dump of data to populate the drives did it seem sluggish, but I was copying gigs and gigs from several systems.

CONs:
* I couldn't find a true "Nuke the drives" option. I should have planned better before jumping in and making shares. I created a bunch of shares, then tried tying them together into a single share, then changed my mind and removed some of them. I was unable to re-create some shares that matched a previously deleted name, and even when I was able to the data I stored still went to a folder I had previously linked to that name. A simple reset did not fix the issue, I had to remove the drives and nuke the system-created partitions and force the NAS to completely rebuild from scratch. As a half-knowledgeable power user, I probably did this to myself but still it's worth noting.

I am VERY happy with this system, it has outperformed what I thought I was buying in every way.
on July 27, 2010
Does pretty much everything I want. My only nit is is that I wish it was a bit faster - If I had to do it over again, I might spring for a 439, but the value proposition is unbeatable on the 410.
on September 3, 2010
This network attached server is amazing. The setup of the RAID drives was totally simple. The software pre-installed on the system allows it to provide useful services immediately. I have it serving up photos, videos, and music to my home entertainment system with no problems. I am setting it up to store backups of multiple machines on the network. There are additional apps to expose a web file manager and a download station (FTP/HTTP/Bit Torrent). It supports most every protocol you can think of: HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, Samba, UPnP, ssh, and Apple and iPhone protocols. Based on an ARM chip, it can be extended with packages built for that chip. In short, out of the box it has lots of functionality for the home user and can easily be extended to provide any other capability that is out there.
on July 8, 2013
I bought that for quite some time now, and still works perfectly! QNAP releases a new FW from time to time (wich means the product is well supported). As an example, my other Buffalo NAS has no new FW since 2010, and there is a lot of promisses from the vendor do update, but that's only it. Getting back to to QNAP I'm able to get a sustainable transfer of 25 to 30 MB/s. Again my other NAS only can sustain 18 MB/s
on August 22, 2012
Make sure you update the Firmware to the latest version before anything else and use compatible hard-drives, which is common practice itself. Having done that, this absolutely deserves 5 stars.

It might look simple, but this QNAP NAS offers so many more features than other competitors would at this price point, even beyond this price point. Read up on the features. In all seriousness, you could use this device to replace some of your existing servers (Print server, VPN server, cloud services, media server, etc.). Also, don't forget it supports iSCSI. You can place your datastore on the NAS (as it should be), just be sure to team the NICs to increase your throughput.

Support is great and the QNAP online community is pretty active. Their employees use the forum to poll customer feedback and feature requests.