4.0 out of 5 stars Three Times Is The Lucky Charm!
Published 17 months ago by KB7RKY

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this... New my a$$!
Crap! Don't buy! Said it was new but it was all scratched up front and back. Didn't work. This was the second one I tried of the same model. Both where scratched up. But the first one at least worked. BE WARNED!
Published 10 months ago by Christopher

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Times Is The Lucky Charm!, April 7, 2013
This review is from: TSSS Portable 1080P Carcam Car DVR K6000 G-sensor function HOLD High-definition camera high-definition video 140 A + grade high-resolution ultra-wide-angle lens (Electronics)
I've purchased a variety of so-called "dash cams" in the last few months...the last two have fallen short of expectations (ie: short recording times, poor video quality, etc.) One dash cam I have tends to record video for random intervals, despite setting the camera to record in, say, 15 minute increments. I'm lucky if I can get it to record for longer than one minute, or 30 seconds, or two minutes...you get my drift.

This dash cam goes above & beyond my expectations. I recently tested this a few nights ago, and while it lacks night vision recording (the most likely culprit being the hardware itself not having low-light capability), it more than makes up for that with the superb picture quality, and the continuous recording settings. I tried this with loop recording turned OFF...and as long as the battery would hold up, I believe it would continue recording (although a cigarette lighter adapter would provide a steady power feed). My test video was about 10 minutes long of uninterrupted video. My next test will be a 2-hour drive to the nearest large city (Spokane, WA), and with a 32GB TF card holding nearly four hours of high-quality video, we'll see if it will provide a continuous 2-hour recording.

EDIT - 6/9/13:

And, like the other cams I've purchased, this one has somewhat let me down. My proposed long-distance test proved that it doesn't record continuously (that is, press the "record" button, and it keeps going until you turn it off). Like all the other so-called "dash cams" on Amazon, it records in 10-minute increments, saves the file, then records again for 10 minutes, saves the file, etc. At least, it's not "hit or miss" recording like one of my other dashcams. Guess I'm going to have to keep searching for one that will record continuously without interruption, such as a Contour or GoPro Hero.

Edit: 8/10/13:

Perhaps I should retract my disappointment. The 10-minute increments is actually quite beneficial. When I used this camera on my recent motorcycle road trip, the sections made it easier to find certain portions of the trip to share with my classmates at our 30 year reunion, not to mention the quality was quite good. Those of us on the motorcycle trip had a close call with a truck. It was good to know the camera was recording everything, should there have been a rather unfortunate incident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera!, May 13, 2013
Length:: 0:42 Mins

This little car cam is excellent. Nice wide field of view, sharp picture, and easy operation. Auto on and off as you start and stop your car is very nice. First time setup was a breeze.

4.0 out of 5 stars An impromptu Owners Manual to get started with the K6000..., October 4, 2013
My K6000 Dash Cam just arrived. The owner's manual or user's guide is of some limited help, but it's more of a tease really. Here's what I have learned so far:

1) You will need your own Class 10 (fast) memory card, it's tiny - literally about the size of your thumbnail. Insert it in the K6000 before you start charging it. It pushes in flush with the case and clicks. Push it again to pop it out. It only fits in one way - inspect the tiny icon nearby to see which way the notch goes. I suggest that you always power the unit down before inserting or removing the memory card.
2) The K6000 may need an hour to charge before it will wake up.
3) There is a protective film over the LCD screen that may appear to be scuffed and scratched. You need to peel it off. Same for the front.
4) My K6000 defaulted to Chinese, so the menu was mystifying. To change languages you have to cease the recording which started automatically: Press 'OK' (maybe twice?). Then press 'M' for mode again and again. You will cycle through a 'domino' (memory card?) symbol, a camcorder symbol, and a camera symbol. At any of these modes press the 'menu' button (left center) TWICE. This will bring up a little 'wrench' tool symbol at the top. Look for the "ABC" icon in the menu below it - that is the language selection. Use the down arrow to get to it and press OK. Now you can use the up and down arrows to scroll through the list of languages... I think highly of 'English', myself. <g>
5) Each of the three mode symbols - domino, camcorder, & camera - has it's own distinct menu options. You'll want to go through all of them. I'm not sure what a couple of them do, just yet.

If it's reliable, it may be a nice little inexpensive dash cam... but for the skimpy manual. I wish there was a better manual online someplace.

Day 2:

6) When the dash cam is recording, the up and down arrows zoom between 1x (wide) and 4x (telephoto) in small increments. Wide is probably best for most people.
7) The recording cycle is selectable up to 3 minutes, then that video segment is saved to the memory card. By recording a digital timer, I determined that if there is any recording gap between one 3 minute segment and the next, it is less than 1 second. It is possible that there is none or almost none.
8) To playback the video, stop the recording by pressing "OK" (maybe twice?). Then press 'M' for mode a few times until the camcorder icon appears. Do NOT press 'Menu'. Just use the up and down arrows to browse through the recorded video segments. Press "OK" to play, and again to "pause". During playback the up and down arrows can fast forward and rewind at 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, or (rewind) -1x, -2x, -4x, -8x.
9) Mounting tip: If you use the suction cup at the top of the windshield and it releases, the downward-facing mini-USB connector may come out and the dash cam may fall to the floor. To prevent this, put a small tie wrap or piece of string around the cable and through the mount structure, snug but not too tight. This way if the suction cup releases and the plug pulls out, the dash cam will just dangle from the cable you ran above the sun visors. If - make that 'when' - it falls off while driving, DON'T freak out and have an accident - just let it dangle until you can safely pull over and reapply the suction cup. You will need a little water (or just a trace of mineral oil applied with a tissue??) to get the suction cup to hold well. The dash cam is very light, just a few ounces.
10) There is about 10 feet of cable.
11) The screensaver setting can be 1, 2, or 3 minutes, or 'off' (meaning the screen is always on). Thus on power up, the screen will awaken for at least one minute to show you that it is alive and recording.
12) If your cigarette lighter receptacles are powered full-time and you don't want K6000 always on, find a pro to tap into a key-switched terminal on the fuse block under the dash. They can wire in a new receptacle there, hidden under the dash (have them tape the plug and receptacle together so they don't come loose).
13) The front LEDs on the K6000 are bright white. They are NOT there for use while driving at night, only for handheld use at night (as a generic camera, say to document an accident) and have a range of probably 6-8 feet. A *quick* press of the power button toggles them on or off. Unplugged from the car, don't expect the small internal battery to last more than a few minutes of run time.

Day 25:

My K6000 is still working fine. Using just a *trace* of mineral oil on the suction cup was a good idea - it hasn't released yet. I like the fact that the screen wakes up and runs for a minute before the screensaver turns it off, as this shows the unit is powered and recording normally.

I would urge the resellers of this dash cam to find a native-english tech writer to create a thorough USA-based online PDF manual that people could download. If you work with these dash cams all day, every day, you can get used to the various modes of operation, but for an individual customer who doesn't fiddle with their dash cam very often, remembering all the permutations is a chore.

Day 60:

I connected the K6000 to a fast PC for the first time and looked at the files. The video quality, being highly compressed during recording, is not quite Blu-ray quality, but for the price it is very good. At wide angle, daytime individual video frames are not quite 'stop action' and show a hint of motion, so that license plates aren't possible to read beyond 30 feet or so, unless directly ahead with no relative motion. Also, I initially had my exposures set to +1 and this made the video a touch too washed out, perhaps contributing to the readability issue. I have set it back to +0. The USB bandwidth will not support streaming the video from the camera so you will need to copy it's files to your hard drive and play them from there. You may have to try different video players to find one that plays HD AVI files smoothly, depending on your hardware. Night video is very dark except for nearby objects your headlights directly illuminate, reflective signs, and the headlights and taillights of other vehicles. But it's still enough to show who did what and when - far better than nothing.

I had difficulty getting the camera out of record mode once in order to correct it's date (it had reset to 01/01/2012 for some unknown reason). It didn't react to the OK button as I expected. I then power it off and back on, then quickly hit OK a couple of times and that did it.

I suggest leaving the K6000 audio set to off, otherwise service mechanics or gadget thieves could potentially access several hours of private or cell phone conversations. I also recommend turning on the Date Stamping to date-time stamp each frame as it is recorded - it appears in small print in the lower left corner of the video.

The mineral oil on the suction cup is still holding, even at 15 F Degrees.

Day 120:

The K6000 is working perfectly. The mineral oil on the suction cup is still holding (it has never released), even at -5 F Degrees.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way beyond expectations, April 24, 2013
I just got my k6000 a couple of days ago. I spent weeks looking for a good car dvr. This one seemed to be the only one with no bad reviews, now I see why. The video quality is great, the camera is easy to set up and it has no problem with my 32gb class ten micro card. The only drawback would be no night vision. The camera does have two led lights to help see at night, though they just reflect off the windshield. This is easily fixed by turning on your headlights, the camera's image quality makes up for no night vision. In all though I am absolutly impressed with this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best option for under $40 !!, August 21, 2013
Length:: 0:57 Mins

I purchased this dash cam because there are just too many bad drivers out there. I wanted to protect my self from said drivers so I began looking for a affordable option. I found this camera and gave it a try.

I am pretty impressed with the video quality. Its not 1080P (as advertised) nor is it 720i , however it is still great quality!

This cam holds a max capacity of 32 gigabytes using a MICRO SD card. I would recommend using a 32gb card because each 3 minute file is around 400 megabytes, so your card will fill up fast! However the camera does have a nifty feature which will automatically delete the oldest video clips to make room for new video.

This is a very affordable and functional option if you are looking for a dash cam.

Take a look at my video to view the quality, and to see a terrible driver just roll through his red light almost causing a collision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dash Cam for less than $75.00, May 29, 2013
Texican (Texas, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
This dashcam does a great job, easy to play back on your computer or TV. Very good video quality, okay audio quality... Small foot print on your windshield, the camera turns off and on automatically, records over old footage. The user's guide is weak, but if you can push a few buttons you can figure it out. Ships from the mainland of the People's Republic of China, so expect two to three week delivery- worth the wait.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this... New my a$$!, November 1, 2013
Christopher (Bayville, NJ, United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera With Weaknesses, September 15, 2013
It appeared seriously damaged on receipt. It was not. When hooked up to the USB cable to your computer one of only two things happen: The battery charges and you get two menu options: the choice of "Mass storage" and "PC Camera". Neither of which do anything on my camera. The internal battery lasts only 10-15 minutes, not a problem at all.

To change to English, after charging and disconnecting from the computer, press the menu button twice. Scroll down a bit and choose the icon with "ABC" in it and choose English

Connected to a lighter socket that is only powered when the car is turned on the unit powers up by itself and recording starts automatically in three minute clumps. I think the trick is to start recording - M - while free of wires, then turn the unit off. At 720 resolution each three minute video is about 400k, so a 32 GB card should hold about 80 videos, system can be set to over-write old videos so theoretically four hours recording.

To see a video I remove the tiny SD micro-card from the camera, put it in my normal-SD adapter, insert it into my computer, and bring it up on windows explorer. You can re-play a video to show a cop (I assume) on the camera. Push the "M"ovie button twice. Then use the up of down arrows to select the clip with the time that you want and push "OK". NOW the extra-long power cord makes sense. I don't know about the lock button, as I see no value in it. Nor the G-activated lock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used item sold as new by dishonest seller, June 29, 2013
That is it. The item is not only used, but worn out. Scratches all over the place, with worn out buttons. It is ironic that they put a label saying "New" on the box. The entire box were wrapped tightly with scotch tapes, and each part in the box was bubble wrapped like a little mummy. I hope Amazon can help me return this thing. I hate to deal with dishonest people. There should be a negative star for things like this.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy this item, November 4, 2013
be careful! Don't buy this dvr. I order it and it was damage, there is full of scratches in it.

Rate and Discover Movies