4.0 out of 5 stars What's with the sour grapes?
If anyone is looking to purchase this album because they hope it will sound like Jellyfish, you will be let down. I'm frankly confused by the aweful reviews that I've read, and I can tell you that they're wrong...unless you expect TV Eyes to be the third Jellyfish record!

Published on January 23, 2007 by J. Sadler

Published on December 29, 2006 by oneflashoflight

4.0 out of 5 stars What's with the sour grapes?, January 23, 2007
J. Sadler (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)

The songs on this album have great hooks, and a great 80's quazi-new-wave influenced pop sound. It's definitely closer to the Falkner solo albums than Jellyfish or Roger's solo record.

If you want great powerpop, heavy on the synths, then this is a great album. If you like Jason Falkner, this is a great album. If you are still insanely bitter about the Jellyfish breaking up (12 years ago), and think everything that each member touches will take on some remenance of their greatness, then pass on this $40 import and go buy the L.E.O. album; Andy sings a little on "Goodbye Innocence".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Songs!!!, January 25, 2007
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
To all the Debbie Downer reviewers...let go of the past. To always have to bring up Jellyfish in anything Rodger or Jason does is just plain stupid. Everybody moves on in life and tries new/different things. Just because Jellyfish was amazing, (one of my all-time personal favorite bands) doesn't mean everything that happens after 1993 has to sound the same or be structured the same. It would be the same is expecting John Lennon's solo release, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, to sound like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" Meet The Beatles, Era. It's not supposed to sound the same. I know if I were a painter, I would sure get sick of painting the same picture...wouldn't you?

All in all, this record is fun and the songs are great. It is what it is, pure synth pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year, December 1, 2006
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
This is the best thing Roger Manning or Jason Falkner have ever done and I know that's saying a lot. The songs are catchy as hell and the album has a very 80's retro appeal to it. Apparently these guys have been working on this material for quite a few years now. The 3 players (Manning, Falkner and Brian Reitzell) first got together for the mostly instrumental "Logan's Sanctuary" project which came out on CD in 2000. What's the deal with this only being available in Japan?

5.0 out of 5 stars What 80's music should have been, December 6, 2010
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
I hated most pop music created in the 80's. I mean, synths and everything were ok, but it seemed like bands wasted so much time and energy making the new keyboard and synth technology work within productions that the songwriting took a backseat. It was like a barren music wasteland for me as a teen. I even hated my favorite band's (Queen) music during the 80's. There were a few decent bands (Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Mr. Mister). . . but now here you have two world-class songwriters injecting their talent into songs produced from an 80's synth production angle. If music had been this well written and produced in the 80's, my teens years wouldn't have sucked so bad. I love this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can Roger Manning do anything wrong (musically)?, August 24, 2007
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
After the dissolution of the Jellyfish I was reluctant to listen to anything Roger or Andy produced. Imperial Drag came and went. I gave it a cursory listen but after the glory of "Spilt Milk" nothing could compare. Flash forward 10 years and I can't get enough of Imperial Drag. Then Roger releases my favorite album of 06 "The Land of Pure Imagination". So naturally when I found out about TV Eyes from his site, I was interested.

As has been stated and restated, the album sounds like it was written and recorded in the 80's. You can detect the influences ("Mission: Submission" has a distinct Gary Numan keyboard sound, the bass on "What She Said" sounds as if it were lifted directly from a Tones on Tail recording) yet the album is all original. The songwriting and the performances are solid.

Standout tracks include "Over the City", "Fascinating", "Love to Need", and "Fade Away".

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad track in the lot, November 11, 2010
David K (Pleasanton, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
This is a brilliant redux of 80's club/dance music infused with Manning and Falkner's keen sense of the pop hook. The combination of the two works very well (not to discount Brian Rietzell). Manning add's a musical prowess that I find lacking in Falkners solo efforts, and Falkner helps bring Manning down out of the musically experimental notes of Manning's decidedly non-commercial solo releases. The only thing this music has in common with their Jellyfish effort is that it is unclassifiable in a marketing sense, and so it will probably never see light beyond those lucky enough to stumble upon it. If you love 80's electronica and have a jones for the pop blast sheen, it's hard to go wrong here. The "She's a Study" video, widely available on the internet, is also enjoyable as a showcase for Falkner's well known love of supermodels' company.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer (Not AT ALL worth Import price), December 29, 2006
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
This is the song that I keep singing to myself EVERY TIME I buy another Falkner record (exceptions being the Holiday single, & the Sub Pop set), or any other offering of ANY kind from ANY member involved with the best band of the 90's (Jellyfish). And I didn't discover them POST break-up, oh no....I was in the fanclub and wore the advance copy of Bellybutton (Vinyl, yo!!) out on my college radio shift! I was also in the Redd Kross fanclub and consider them HIGHER than the Jellies...yeah, I said it. So, you can bet that I had a raging "you-know-what" in my pants for THIS record!?!?

Import price and a long wait from Japan later, and I am once again...let down. It has been painfully obvious for a while where the magic dust came from within Jellyfish, and this is another testament to Andy Sturmer's greatness. I know, they weren't trying to make a Jellyfish album, but the songwriting here doesn't hold the slightest flicker to say, even a Beatnick Beatch tune. If The New Cars had hired Faulkner (who rhymes as bad as Ace Frehley in spots), instead of Rundgren, and they went with the songwriting of 'Door to Door', this would be VERY close. This goes beyond "having a retro sound" and straight into Justin Timberlake trying to have a retro sound.

Better yet, if you actually enjoyed ANY of Duran Duran's last two records, then this will knock your socks off....in fact, send ME $30 and you can have this copy.

Production quality and my sincere love for the past with these three guys, keeps me from comitting this review to ONE star.

2.0 out of 5 stars RETRO GRADE, January 20, 2007
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
Yes, this does seem to be a tribute to the 80's, but unfortunately, we have all been busy trying to FORGET the 80's!

Had this release taken the genre a step in ANY direction, it might have succeded, but I'm going to have to agree that there are many better ways to spend your money. Roger Manning's solo (which version do you like?) is certainly more like what I'd hoped to hear here.

The MAGIC, the WHIMSY, and the COMPLEXITY of the old Jellyfish recordings certainly is not apparent here. Todd Rundgren fans have had to suffer the same fate. It's as if they don't want to be creative magicians anymore, screw the fans that got them this far, etc. etc.

ANYTHING released with the JELLYFISH name on it, domestic, european, or Sub-Tabla are better than this.

OK, this is better than the MOOG COOKBOOK....

5.0 out of 5 stars EUROPAN, December 30, 2006
This review is from: TV Eyes (Audio CD)
Europe and Japan - the final great pop frontiers !

....last I heard it was Austin ? - OH WELL !

Canada shows love too...our favorite neighbors....do ya a favor !

There are some really interesting Japanese based labels...search on web and be impressed !

TV Eyes
TV Eyes by TV Eyes (Audio CD - 2006)