- Hardcover: 338 pages
- Publisher: Schirmer Trade Books; 1St Edition edition (May 1, 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0028703243
- ISBN-13: 978-0028703244
- Product Dimensions: 6.4 x 1.1 x 9.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,568,442 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
TV's Biggest Hits: The Story of Television Themes from Dragnet to Friends Hardcover – May 1, 1996
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
In a time when the "hummable" and recognizable theme song seems to be a thing of the past, with only a few on-air shows today possessing them, this book is an excellent reflection of the theme as well as the accompanying scores and the musicians that composed them. Names like Morton Stevens, Gil Melle', Billy Goldenberg, Bruce Boughton, as well as film composers that occasionally dabbled in television (Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Franz Waxman, and Alex North) abound in the fact-filled book.
Divided into ten chapters, including a foreword and afterward, the book also has a list of "suggested listenings" wherein the reader can obtain recordings of respective themes and scores.
As I said in the title, the book is a delight for those of us with fond memories of the music of the "boob tube".
Table of Contents
1. Hi, Yo, Silver!
The Birth of TV Music
2. Crime to a Beat
Cop and Detective Shows
3. Head 'Em Up! Move 'Em Out!
4. You Are Traveling Through Another Dimension
Fantasy and Sci-Fi
5. Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity
6. Just Sit Right Back and You'll Hear a Tale
7. Your Mission, Should You Decide to Accept It
8. You Are There
Documentaries and News Programming
9. Flintstones! Meet the Flintstones
Cartoons in Prime Time
10. My Name is Kunta Kinte
Made-for-TV Movies and Miniseries