Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

67%
33%

on November 24, 2004
This VHS videotape was produced by "Superior Home Video" in 1995, and provides many classic TV clips from the "Golden Age" of television game shows during the 1950s and 1960s.

With a brief narration to introduce each show presented, this 88-minute tape digs into the TV archives and brings up footage from 23 different TV game shows of the '50s and '60s.

My favorite "old-time" game shows were "To Tell The Truth", "The Price Is Right" (original Bill Cullen-hosted version), "You Bet Your Life", "I've Got A Secret", and "What's My Line?" (the John Daly-hosted variant).

All of the above programs garner some air time on this video -- except "What's My Line?", which is quite conspicuous by its absence. I cannot figure out why on Earth such a great (classic) game show would be excluded from a video titled "TV's Greatest Game Shows". A most curious omission.

"What's My Line?", in fact, should be right near the front of the pack when talking about "Classic" TV game shows -- it was on the air from February 1950 through 1967 (in its original form, with host John Daly). And even continued for many years after '67, as a syndicated show from 1968 to 1975, with Wally Bruner and Larry Blyden serving as the moderators in those subsequent seasons. A total of 2,191 "WML" episodes were produced and aired during its quarter-of-a-century on the air.

But, for whatever reason(s), the makers of this video decided to leave "What's My Line?" on the cutting-room floor. But, whether on this tape or not, it certainly deserves to be included as one of the best and most-watched TV game shows of all-time.

Segments on two other very good game shows that aired in the 1960s would also have made this video a bit more comprehensive -- "Password" and "Concentration". But, alas, these were excluded as well.

Here's a complete listing of all the game shows that are represented on this VHS videocassette (in the order in which the clips are shown):

1.) "Beat The Clock"

2.) "Dollar A Second"

3.) "Truth Or Consequences"

4.) "Stump The Stars" (aka: "Mike Stokey's Pantomime Quiz")

5.) "PDQ"

6.) "The Name's The Same"

7.) "Masquerade Party"

8.) "You Bet Your Life" (aka: "The Best Of Groucho")

9.) "Chance Of A Lifetime"

10.) "The Face Is Familiar"

11.) "The $64,000 Challenge"

12.) "I've Got A Secret"

13.) "Do You Trust Your Wife?"

14.) "What's Your Bid?"

15.) "Anyone Can Win"

16.) "Who Said That?"

17.) "Bride And Groom"

18.) "Bingo At Home"

19.) "What Are The Odds"

20.) "To Tell The Truth"

21.) "The Price Is Right"

22.) "Tic-Tac-Dough"

23.) "Giant Step"

------------------------------------------

I enjoy re-visiting this video from time to time, even though the majority of the TV segments provided here are from complete, full-length episodes I already own on video. Some of the clips I hadn't seen previously, however.

But I feel I simply must knock off a review point (star) due to the inexplicable omission of "What's My Line?" from this tape's roster of programs. Perhaps there was some kind of legal hassle over the video rights to that show, prohibiting it from being included on this video -- I don't know. (Seems unlikely, though, because many other "Goodson & Todman" shows are included here.)

In any event, regardless of the reasons, in my opinion ANY video called "TV's Greatest Game Shows" simply MUST have a chapter devoted to "WML".
on April 23, 1999
This tape is great! Re-live some of the most memorable moments in TV
game show history...crazy stunts...High IQ quizzes...hokey sets...it's
a laugh a minute in this fabulous collection of over 20 hit TV shows
from the 50's and 60's. "I've Got a Secret", "Tic Tac
Dough" "You Bet Your Life" "Stump the Stars"
"$64,0000 Challenge" "Beat The Clock" and many
more!
on October 25, 1999
This tape relives the memory of fifties quiz shows through short clips of kinescopes. The viewer is treated to both famous and obscure programs. Lots of funny segments and celebrities round things out. I enjoyed the video a lot; fellow game show fans should get their hands on it too.