4.0 out of 5 stars Tabitha's Travels - Advent
This is a great way to spend some time with your children during the Christmas season. We've also read "Jotham's Journey" and enjoyed it even more. My kids, even though they are getting older (11 and 15), still enjoy reading these every year.
Published on January 18, 2007 by L. Reck

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, especially compared to Jotham's Journey
Published on September 5, 2007 by I. Kenyon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, especially compared to Jotham's Journey, September 5, 2007
Our family absolutely loved Jotham's Journey and have recommended it to many people. We were very excited to pick up Tabitha's Travels, especially since we have several girls. The Christmas message is vividly displayed through Tabitha's experiences as she meets Jotham and then travels with her father to try to find Jotham after they realize that the caravan with which they sent the boy has placed him in terrible danger.

From the beginning Tabitha resents being a girl who isn't allowed to do all that the boys are doing. She is very smart and has many good ideas, but several times she is the only one can can solve a problem, making her a heroine. Several times in the story, she "comes to the rescue". Whereas in Jotham's Journey, Jotham's disobedience gets him into trouble; Tabitha disobeys but because it works out well, the disobedience is overlooked. Early on she thinks how boys would complain in her situation, but she doesn't because girls have to learn not to complain.
Tabitha's desire to be treated like a boy was so strong that it overwhelmed other parts of the story for us. Not until she meets Zechariah and he gives her wonderful words of wisdom is this issue addressed properly in the book.
Still a good story, but definitely not at the level of Jotham's Journey or even Bartholomew's Passage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice book aside from the feminist slant., January 3, 2013
dEw (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
I heard good things about this book, so I was looking forward to reading it with my 3 daughters for Advent. Unfortunately, from the first to the last page this book was full of feminist attitudes.

Tabitha is a young girl who is the focal character in the story. The book follows her through a number of adventures in an effort to save her father from the Romans.

On page 1, I read, "That her brothers got to be those shepherds while she herself had to cook, clean, and take care of donkeys always frustrated Tabitha. "I can do as much as any boy," she thought."

On pages 2-3 I read, "Even though she wasn't allowed to watch a flock herself, she liked traveling from this place to that, seeing new sights and meeting new people. Of course, it was usually her brothers who got to have the really fun adventures - fighting off wild animals and thieves, going inside the walls of the biggest cities, and best of all, entering the temple in Jerusalem. "As a girl, I don't get to do any of that," she thought again with a sigh."

On page 91, Tabitha is in conversation with Elizabeth about the Jewish temple:
"You mean men can go farther into the temple than women?" Tabitha exclaimed.
"Yes, child, that is how it must be." The heat of anger rose in Tabitha's cheeks, and she thought to herself that she was every bit as good as any boy, but she kept her lips tightly sealed.

In almost every chapter, Tabitha has some thought or comment to make about how she is unhappy with how she is treated as a girl, and how she believes girls should be able to do everything boys do. As this theme was so heavy in the book, my disappointment with it grew as we continued reading. I was hoping that Tabitha's poor attitude about her own sex would be addressed somewhere, and it was at one point (The priest Zechariah told her, "It is not the way of our people. And we must each humble ourselves to the place to which God has appointed us."), but then it seemed to be forgotten again.

Even at the very end of the story, this was Tabitha's response to the fact that her father didn't understand about the baby in the stable: "Tabitha just shook her head and wondered why boys are so dumb, but didn't say anything."

Is this the sort of role model I want for my daughters? Someone who thinks her father is dumb because he's a boy? Someone who is unhappy with the role that God has given her as a future helpmeet to her husband? Someone who is bitter against the God who made her, for making her female? No, it is not.

I would like to say that if these elements were taken out of the story (and they were completely unnecessary to the story), I would have liked this book very much. As it stands, I will not be keeping it in my home.

There will probably be people who read this review and take issue with it. I have no interest in debating God's will for women. I wanted to put this review up here so that others like myself, who care about this issue, will be aware that it is throughout this book. If you would like more information about where I'm coming from, Google "What is Feminism" (in quotes) and "Chancey" and click on the first link for the article "What is Feminism?" by Jennie Chancey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tabitha's Travels - Advent, January 18, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating Advent reading, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
After reading some lukewarm reviews, and thoroughly enjoying Jotham's Journey last Advent, I was apprehensive about including Tabitha's Travels into our 2010 Advent activities. Also, with two 6-year old boys, I was skeptical that a book with a girl as the main character would hold their interest. No worries. They plead for us to read more chapters each night and really get into the adventure. I think that the author has done an amazing job of telling a realistic old story with vivid details that capture even the youngest of imaginations. Yes, there are some suspenseful moments and some violence, but hey, the Bible has some of these too, yes? These tense moments can easily be explained to younger children and used as a tool to explain real world events. We have appreciated the discussion at the end of each chapter to assist families in real life application of the lesson of the day. Our family only has the highest praise for all of Mr. Ytreeide's Advent books and they have added a special richness to our celebration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family book, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
We loved Jotham's Journey and continued on to Tabitha's Travels. I have two boys and two girls and all four children loved this book (they have loved all of them, actually). Wonderful addition to our family Advent traditions and one we look forward to continuing. It is nice there are three books so we can alternate which book we read. It is funny to see how much they forget from year to year. We are a Catholic family and though I do not believe the author is Catholic, I have found nothing in these books that contradict our beliefs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not appropriate for families, December 6, 2010
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
The subtitle of this book is, "A family story for advent." That, in our opinion, is extremely misleading. I've started reading it to my 9 and 4 year old sons and have had to edit several parts heavily because they were so scary. I would abandon the book altogether at this point except for the fact that they are so caught up in the story that they want to know how it turns out. Maybe a more appropriate subtitle would be, "A family story for advent for families whose children are all over the age of ten and not subject to nightmares."

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Advent book, December 11, 2010
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
We had been waiting for Tabitha's Travels to be reprinted and are so excited to have it. It is a perfect compliment to the other 2 books in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
All the books by this author are exciting for children to listen to or read themselves. Great reading for different holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for children, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
This book is a wonderful book to read for advent. Our children were on the edges of their seats! Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Received, March 1, 2014
Debbie F Sexton (Jacksonville, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent (Paperback)
Have received book as described. Very pleased with purchase. Have enjoyed reading as a family for our nightly Christmas devotion.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent
Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story for Advent by Arnold Ytreeide (Paperback - July 22, 2010)
$15.99 $9.33