Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2011 10:59:52 AM PST
M. Baily says:
Has the National Weather Service started hiring reporters from the National Enquirer to forecast the weather? Where I live, near Memphis, the "high" temperature, as predicted, is ALWAYS five degrees off. Every day. 100% chance of precipitation, and nothing falls from the sky. And the warnings are even worse. WINTER WEATHER WARNING. Don't travel unless it's an emergency. The forecast: six inches of snow at the most. I'm sure that when upstate New York receives 6 inches of snow, people aren't advised to carry extra food, water and blankets in their car. Weather forecasting is supposed to have a bit of science behind it, isn't it. Emo weather predictions do nothing but drive people to the stores to stock up on essentials. How about a little restraint, and a little ACCURACY when predicting the weather people.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:41:45 PM PST
A. Dobrynin says:
Not only are weather forecasts less accurate than they once were, but I've noticed a distinct slant in weather reporting in the past few years. I have a rather nice weather monitoring system at home, and we're only about 15 miles from the airport where they get the "official" weather stats each day. My weather equipment consistently reports the temperature to be 5 to 8 degrees less than what they report in the daily weather stats for our area.

And they use the wrong terminology in reporting the stats, which implies something its not. For example: they use "normal" instead of "average" for the daily temp stats. Body temperature is "normal" at 98.6 degrees F. Weather stats are averages. There is no "normal" in "averages". -- When they use graphs, they show the "normal" temp below the graph line, which subliminally creates an interpretation that the graph illustrates a "higher" tendency than the stat stated below it. Lately, the stats here have shown a steady tendency for temps to be below "average" for long stretches at a time, but that's not what a person would see at a glance from the graph. These are intentional subtle ways to make something seem other than what it is.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Great Global Warming Blunder: How Mother Nature Fooled the World's Top Climate Scientists
The Great Global Warming Blunder: How Mother Nature Fooled the World's Top Climate Scientists by Roy W. Spencer (Hardcover - April 13, 2010)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (74)