5.0 out of 5 stars Finally real PC Controls on my Console!
About Me:
Published on November 23, 2011 by Bruno

1.0 out of 5 stars Hori Tac 3 T.A.C. Review part 1
Customer Video Review     Length:: 6:45 Mins
Published on July 1, 2012 by GODJOEY

1.0 out of 5 stars Hori Tac 3 T.A.C. Review part 1, July 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: HORI PS3 Tactical Assault Commander 3 (T.A.C.) for FPS Games (Camouflage Version) (Video Game)
Length:: 6:45 Mins

This is identical to the Camouflage version it is just in black. I feel the review should be seen since Hori tac search of the black one does not show up. I have been reviewing these emulators for 5 years now and through experience I'll show you what I seen in the video and on part 2 which is located on our channel. It's the most viewed video on the Hori Tac on yt.

PS3 Tactical Assault Commander 3
We rate this a 2 zero firmware support but the build quality is Great! The movements need to be smoothed out especially the diagonal "staircasing".

The Hori Tac3 is very well built and solid I like the rubberized surface and buttons on the mouse very nice feature.

The lack of button binding features is a drawback. The diagonal aiming also can get dizzying compared to the other options on the market. We found no bugs while running it through the games BF3, Black ops, and Mw3. The fast aim feature button is placed on the mouse in such a way you have to move your finger off the L1 trigger which seemed useless.

We suggest a firmware upgrade that can allow faster movements while maintaining smoother diagonal aiming and micro aiming this would then be a great buy but right now at $100 it is a little pricy considering some areas can be improved. Build quality is great very solid mouse and keypad. We will keep an eye out if any firmware upgrades come out.

We have 4 years of experience with console mouse emulators and have compiled the largest database on the internet. We reviewed every emulator on the market from the top end to the lowest end. Build quality I think is top notch it needs a few buttons more on the keypad and/or the ability to bind the select,start,walk,and aim fast aim button.

If this firmware is updated to rebind over all buttons and movements are smoothed out I would seriously think this is a 4 to 5 star device. Keep up to date visit our channel for Hori Tac 3 T.A.C. Review part 2 video it gives you an in depth gaming view 11 minutes of this in action. Hope this review helps you all but in the end try it for yourself.

Build quality 5
Movements 2 3/4

Pros
Build quality feels very solid "Feels like an mx518 and razer mouse combined"
Rubberized body
Very sleek looking
Weighted mouse "not adjustable"

Cons
Diagonal "staircasing"
Slow Vertical movements
Lack of bindable buttons for select,Start,"walk" button,"Fast aim button"
Price! "Worth it if the movements are smoothed out" through firmware updates
No Firmware updates makes this very difficult to give more than 2 stars
Fast aim button is pointless

Thanks for Watching I hope this video helped out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Premise but Good Execution, December 7, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The HORI TAC3 is a combo keypad and mouse, both wired, for use with the PS3 via USB.

The quality of construction is typical of HORI - excellent. The keys and buttons are responsive and the mouse tracks well. An optional palm rest for your left hand is comfortable but not plush. Keys are laid out well, though not quite ergonomically. Keys are backlit, but the backlighting doesn't illumintae the writing on the keys. While the layout mimics a PC keyboard, there are some major departures as you can see from the picture. The mouse pad that comes with the controller is cheap and far too small - in a word: useless.

The premise of the HORI TAC3 is to allow PC gamers to transition to the PS3 both their skills and comfort at keyboard and mouse inputs. Simply giving gamers access to keyboard and mouse hardware does not address the fact that ps3 game controls are programmed differently than PC game controls. In PC games your mouse is meant to move fluidly and quickly. In PS3 games your control pad relies on degrees of tilt to determine rates of movement and even the hardest tilt will result in a fairly slow movement compared to what you can do with a mouse on a PC. Additionally, some games assist the aim of the player subtly, though sometimes this option is defeatable. In short, the way motion is handled by PS3 games differs enough to confound the HORI TAC3. HORI tries to smooth over these problem areas with limited success.

The first game I tried out with the TAC3 was Bioshock. I went through Bioshock on a control pad on hard without much difficulty. Using the TAC3, medium was quite challenging. The main issues I encountered were poor panning and modest lag. As long as my field of view was where I wanted it, I had plenty of control over aiming my reticle, but to move my field of view 180° was far too cumbersome and time consuming. If I had been using a much larger mouse pad then it would have been more tolerable, but I still would have had to pick up my mouse and move it over to accomplish a full about face. The lag was not too bad, but was enough to cause me to slightly overshoot targets, which detracts from the purpose of this device. On the plus, I found the controls allowed me to move more freely and efficiently than using a control pad.

Overall, I enjoyed the TAC3, but found it impractical. Training myself to use the TAC3 would have improved my results considerably, but I'm confident it would not have given me a significant edge over the PS3 control pad in the end. The ability to customize your buttons (stickers included) easily and choose between three sensitivities helps round out a decent package. Despite its flaws, I'd still recommend the TAC3 to a select audience. If you are a seasoned PC gamer who's never learned how to handle a PS3 controller, the TAC3 should help you avoid going through the learning curve of switching to a completely different control scheme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally real PC Controls on my Console!, November 23, 2011
Bruno (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
About Me:
I am an old school PC FPS player from back in the day. I have been playing FPS PC games since Wolfenstein/Doom era... and quite literally every popular online PC FPS from that era forward (Quake, Unreal, Battlefields, CoD, etc etc etc... you name it). However, I am a gamer 1st and I don't care if a game is on the consoles (no matter the console brand) or PC... I just love great games and willing to play them on any system I can. I hate missing out on great FPS's just cause they don't happen to be on my current platform... I always go out of my way to play them all if I can.

Over the years I have gotten pretty pro with using console controllers in FPS (I had to since I wanted to remain competitive). Great console FPS series games like; Call of Duty, Resistance, Killzone & Battlefield, honed my skills nicely. With all these years of practice I would say I am now 90% as capable with controllers as I am with mouse/keyboard in online FPS games. However, even still I can't pull off the same level of high speed aim precision that I can do on PC (even when playing same versions of CoD on both PS3/PC my skill level is clearly different due to control difference). My reaction time is simply more precise with a keyboard/mouse.

I am thankful to say, finally after all these years, at least we now have mouse/keyboard options for consoles. It opens up a whole new opportunity for everyone to get the high speed precision controls on console. (Don't forget FPS genre was invented on PC using these kind of controls, so it's a natural fit for the genre.)

About HORI:
When I saw a high end controller brand like HORI released a keyboard/mouse option I perked up and took interest. For those that don't know HORI is one of Japan's highest quality video game peripheral maker for like 30+ years... they have a history of using highest quality parts. I knew that when I saw this was made by HORI it was going to be a solid well made long lasting peripheral.

The Design:
The WASD keys feel real solid have nice pressure and durability to the buttons. They have a nice snapper spring pressure to them and are not mushy feeling. They also are very well mounted, the keys don't wobble and play around too much at all. All the keys are background "rim" lit with Blue LED's. The extra buttons are placed in a way that works best for console control layout. A PS3/start/select button is also available on the keyboard deck so no extra controller will be needed with you to navigate menus if you don't want one.

The mouse itself has a good weight to it. It feels good in your hand without being too heavy, but it also isn't all light weight and junky feeling (it feels rigid). The size of the mouse feels fairly standard not to large/small one way or the other (should work for most). The side and top buttons are in good easy to get to standard positions that most PC gamers will feel right at home.

There is a removable palm rest pad at bottom of the keyboard controller. It has teeth that fit into the pad top down and lock into place (but they don't really lock they just rest in the grooves... kinda pressure fit styled) This is the only thing I am not 100% happy with design wise, but it's not major. When this isn't on a flat surface it tends to pop apart kind of easy if you wiggle it around. It makes sitting this on your knees not really an option when gaming hardcore, cause the palm rest keeps popping off. You can use it on your knee without the palm rest pad attached of course, but it's hard to keep it under your hand without the rest installed. I am sure I could glue it together (it would be easy and permanent), but I haven't done that. When it's on a flat surface there is zero chance the rest pad can come off ever.. so it's not a big deal to me.

The Features:
You can program the keyboard on the fly (as seen in videos). This is ideal if the game doesn't let you do that. There is also a quick speed button on the mouse so you can rotate the camera quicker (which you will notice is needed some times). However, I recommend you crank up the "look" sensitivity in the game as much as you can tolerate and use this quick speed mouse button as little as possible (less finger time on the trigger is never good in FPS, so try to use in-game sensitivity instead).. still it's nice to have on the fly speed controls with any mouse.

Ingame Experience:
Lap/Knee level control is possible with this setup, but I DO NOT recommend it if you are serious about getting top rank scores. You should have a desk/table or a rigid wide flat surface to put on your lap.. if you want to use this keyboard/mouse setup. If you want to make best high speed precision use of PC controls you just are going to need a flat surface... if you are going this far as to get PC controls on the console this last step shouldn't be a big deal... just know going into this that knee level control just isn't going to be perfect.

The second I started using this device on my PS3 I felt right at home. It was just like using my computers. The only learning curve is tweaking the sensitivity in game for mouse look speed and learning which buttons do what (the WASD always maps perfect... but you still need to learn or reprogram where the other hotkeys go on the keyboard (not a big deal though).

The difference you will see between people without a mouse/keyboard vs the controller becomes evident quickly (especially in regards to quick reaction time moments, like running around a corner and catching someone off guard.. where both of you have a split second to aim and react.) Keep in mind though.... just using this is not going to be pure 1000% domination (like i mentioned before I think controllers take you like 90% of the way), but you will still sense a heightened level of improvement, reaction time and aim precision that is just impossible to get to with a controller to the same degree.

Final Thoughts:
It's extremely well made (from HORI which is a top end game peripheral maker so it's going to last. It's got reprogrammable keys (so it's going to work on any game you want). It's got on the fly speed change on mouse (always good, even on PC side of things). O yea and it's "no brainer" plug and play (Nice thing about consoles is no software to install for device). You really don't even have to program the hotkeys if you really don't want to, you can just learn where they mapped by default.

Overall, I am happy I got this device and I think it's awesome to finally have PC controls on my PS3 now. I realize something like this is meant for a niche market of people like myself. If you are a hardcore PC player like I am, who loves consoles too (like I do)... this set up may be for you... it's like bringing together the best of both worlds. If you are a hardcore FPS console player with no PC experience... I would say you owe it to yourself to try keyboard/mouse in FPS's even if you just stay on the console forever. FPS genre was born and still thrives on these kind of controls and it WILL step you game up once you master these controls too.

Hands down I definitely would recommend this product to ANYONE who takes FPS gaming serious on consoles and wants to step up their reaction time and aim precision. See you all in game!

3.0 out of 5 stars Huge leap forward for FPS gaming on consoles!!!, October 27, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
got mine in today. In between having the worst fever and tonsillitis I've ever had, I was able to give it a throw a about an hour ago. Works amazingly well. You can still tell the games, of course, aren't optimized for mouse look. However, whatever algorithim this mouse is using to kill the dead zone off from the analog sticks, its doing a very nice job. Don't forget, though it has 3 sensitivity settings, you can still adjust your x/y axis in most games... so you can really tweak your look/turn speed. The keyboard feels flawless. only i wish some of the buttons were in a more natural postion instead of to the side of the arrows (such as crouch)... but thats about the only complaint. Sprint/Jump, etc are all right where they should be, and it feels very natural.
The wrist pad i love... though some may not like as its more comfortable for bigger hands.

It includes a slick surface mousepad, and remap stickers if you choose to. The backlight is neat... but kind of unnessecary as it doesn't illuminate the key lettering, rather just the edges of the keys. The Sniper Assault mode options are nice for sniping only... really lets you get down to accuracy on the move... but your giving up alot of mouse speed... so I'd leave that off. The dedicated sprint/walk toggle is a nice add... and the built in D-pad at the bottom and all neccessary controller buttons easily marked make not just gaming, but controlling your PS3 interfaces a breeze.The only real major gripe i have? No scroll wheel... thats a button (two of them actually) in the center of the mouse. It looks like a wheel, but nope... just a button. LUCKILY, the mouse is riddle with them. 2 on the side, your primary click button on top, and 2 where the mouse wheels would be. So, instead of scrolling, up and down through items, you just press up and down. So my gripe is pretty much undone as it really ends up working the same as a scroll wheel.

It's quite impressive how well it works out of the box... you could, in theory, not make any button remaps (which it does permit, thank the makers), but that's only if you havent used a keyboard/mouse on PC games.. you'll likely want to switch grenade toss/melee/crouch immediately... which you can. The wired aspect is nice... wireless has always been too touchy for gaming IMO. And the single usb cord from the keyboard (the mouse is wired to the keyboard) is a good distance... at least 8ft long.I was testing this on MW2, so far so good. Sure, it's expensive. But lets get this straight.. you can keep whining about the price that keyboard/mouse for PC is far cheaper... but there's a million manufacturers of them for PC. This isn't PC. You want a good gaming keyboard and Mouse for the PS3? Your gonna pay. Why? Because Hori is the only one making one. They can charge WHATEVER they want under that circumstance, lol. Besides, you'll see those silly mouse/keyboard convertors for Xbox/PS ranging from anywhere between $60 to $150 (i forgot the name of that, but its a progammable one for Xbox 360). So at $99... you getting something officially supported at a balanced price.

I'd like to compare the hori tac 3 to the $150 dollar XIM 3... for those of you that dont know what the XIM 3 is.. its a keyboard mouse convertor for xbox 360, that with some know how, can be convereted over to PS3. Unfortunately, the XIM 3 requires some know how to get it up and running on the PS3... any "quick" connect kit out there for the
XIM will have issues with some games. The XIM is definteley not officially supported or sold for the PS3, as even the manufacturer has stated. It's going to cost a bit more than a $150 as well... your going to have to buy the extra conversion adapter for the PS3 (or make one yourself), a wired xbox 360 controller (this is required), and wire in your ps3 controller as well. While the XIM3 does have a touchscreen settings menu on the device for extra precision settings and button mapping, it will require some tweaking just as the Hori device. Also note, I've noticed no real in-game difference between the two after tweaking sensitivty on both... other than the XIM3
will allow you to use pretty much any mouse or keyboard connected to it. If you thought the Hori product was pricey..What cost $150 will easily jump to $200+ to get running on the PS3 as far as the XIM goes, and its not
even officially supported with its own drawbacks after the conversion. There's also no telling if the XIM will be compatible with games that will take full advantage of the keyboard/mouse acceleration on the PS3
as the Hori product is already scheduled to. Once this occurs, I would assume any unoffocial convertor will be left in the dust as far as mouselook.

If you want more developers to start implementing true mouse/keyboard support for console games... start hounding them. Buy the product, and hound the game developers.. their the only ones who can. Until then, analog emulation will have to do, but even then, certainly gives a much larger advantage.

Is it 100% perfect as playing on a PC. No, but its getting there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great interface!, December 28, 2013
It works great! The Games I play like battlefield 4 were a great test for it. I can hone in my sight using the mouse much better than the regular ps3 controller. I only wish the buttons were back-lit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Feel Than PS3 Controller for FPS, November 2, 2013
truedub74 "truedub74" (seattle,WA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I only started PC gaming back in 2012, and that was only for a few months. I have always primarily been a console gamer. I only tried a few games with the mouse and keyboard - Skyrim, Dead Space 2 Mass Effect 1, Hitman Blood Money and Crysis 2. Crysis 2 felt REALLY good with the mouse and keyboard. Having gone back to gaming on PS3 I've recently become dissatisfied with the controller. I looked around for one of those after market 360 style controllers but couldn't find one that I wanted and then I saw the HORI Tac 3 and remembered how good FPS gaming felt with the mouse and keys. I love this controller. My copy of Black Ops 2 sat unplayed on the shelf for months because the thought of playing it with the PS3 controller didn't excite me. I had tried the game with the Dualshock but it had bored me, besides the fact of my generally sucking. Soon as I got this controller out of my mailbox I put in Black Ops 2 and have been gaming hard with it since. As of now I'm only playing multiplayer against bots (not interested in the campaign) but I play 4 against 5 (enemy) bots on Hardened difficulty and at this point I can win almost every time and I am averaging 13+ kills per match and sometimes as many as 18. Now I know what people mean when they say FPS are designed for the mouse and keyboard. This controller feels amazing. I won't sit here and write about dead zones and stuff - I was never a hardcore pc gamer so I have no real frame of reference on how this thing might compare to actual mouse and keyboard gaming. Furthermore, this TAC 3 is only an approximation of PC gaming; there are several features and aspects of this controller that put it at adds with an actual mouse and keyboard: The walk button for one (you press this button in concert with the arrow buttons to move at a walk instead of the default 'run' (note that there is a separate button for sprinting), the d-pad, and the fact that several of the buttons on the TAC are non-remappable.
To get the most out of the controller you will have to play with the settings on the contoller and the options screen of your game. This is not a difficult process. There are 3 setting for mouse sensitivity: 60, 100 and 140, and there are 3 settings you can adjust for how fast you move when you press the walk button. I never use the walk button so these are of little consequence to me. For Black Ops 2 I have the mouse sensitivity set at 100 and on my options screen I have the look sensitivity set to 7. This feels spot on for me.
I do not care for the mouse. There are 6 buttons - 2 between the R and L clicks on two above where your right thumb sits. I hate the location of these buttons. I have remapped the forward of those two side buttons to the top button that sits between the R and L so I can throw grenades more naturally but throwing concussions and using the knife do not feel good. Once I change the melee to the forward thumb button it may feel better. These complaints are why I haven't given the controller 5 stars.
If you are a hardcore PC gamer you may find a lot about this controller to hate. I think the main thing to remember is that you are not being offered a true PC gaming experience with this. You are still playing a console game. If you buy this thing knowing it's limitations you might well have a lot of fun with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars flippin sweet!, October 21, 2013
Its accurate once you get situated with the Hori Tactical Mouse. I couldnt wait, but it came early. Been working on my left hand getting more fluent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for a true PC FPS experience, August 10, 2013
As everyone says, the sensitivity is a pain to mess with and when trying to be percise the mouse moves very choppy. The quick look button is a good idea but in a terrible place to use it. This is NOT for PC gamers who want to play the same on a PS3. Plan on selling mine soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for PC transplants, November 26, 2012
I am a PC gamer myself, moved to consoles due to the continued price of upgrades. This does have some funny small lag on some games (Tried with Dead Island mainly on a PS3 Slim) but it's so minor it's easy to ignore and didn't effect the game play to much. It does suck that the mouse is stuck to the game pad. I think it might be made for use on a desk. Personally... I have a Lazy-boy recliner I like to game from and use a lap table thing for this. I had seen it at Fry's for around $100 but found it on here for MUCH cheaper and highly recommend it if you can't get into the controller thing. If it had the mouse with a longer cord and no lag, 5 stars. It's still a great product and well worth it. Love the texture as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid build quality, but hampered by short cords, June 27, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I grew up using consoles in the 70s and 80s, but then switched over to keyboard/mouse gaming on computers in the 90s and 2000s. I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago, and I discovered that I apparently have entered the stage in my life where I no longer adapt to new things as quickly. :) Playing games like BioShock and Call of Duty using the PS3 controller were a little difficult for me because I was used to playing them and other first-person shooters using a keyboard and mouse. So, I was very excited when I was given an opportunity to audition this product, thinking that it might help me get more use out of my PS3. It has very good build quaility, but sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations - almost entirely due to the cord lengths.

I game on my PS3 in the living room, and I typically sit in a cushioned chair. When I went to use the HORI...it wouldn't reach without the cord pulled taught and hanging in the air. So, it was over to the couch...but it wouldn't reach there, either. No big deal, I figured, as I could get a USB extension cable. So, I got situated on the floor in front of the TV. I had BioShock all queued up, started to play, and quickly noticed that the ~21" mouse cord was too short for me to move the keyboard and mouse where I wanted. The unfortunate part is that there is no way to extend the mouse cable without splicing it. I really wish that they would have used a USB mouse and USB port on the keyboard, which would allow any mouse to be used. Either that or just make the mouse cable about a foot longer.

The included wrist pad is a nice touch, but it's a bit loosely attached to work well for me. It kept giggling around and coming loose while I was using it.

So, while I give it high marks for build quality and concept, I only rate it as "OK" because the mouse cord length is too short me and can't be increased - making it inconvenient for me to use. Had they used a USB port for the mouse, I'd have given it four stars. If the unit was wireless, I'd love it.

If you'll be using this sitting at a desk, then it might work great. If not, you might have the same issue that I had with the cord length.