5.0 out of 5 stars Lite weight but will pack a wallop

Dear Amazon Shopper,

Published on September 1, 2012 by Brandon Mario

5.0 out of 5 stars Lite weight but will pack a wallop, February 5, 2011
Ted "cyberwhiz" (Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FURY Tactical SDK Self Defense Keychain 5.75-Inch with Pressure Tip (Sports)
Just received this the other day and it is somewhat different from the one pictured. The hand grip area is completely solid and has 3 little donut like rings equally spaced in it dividing the grip area into four parts, one for each finger. This makes for a very secure grip. The diameter of the grip area is sligtly smaller than the top and bottom parts. It's made of aluminum and only weighs 1.6 oz. so is very easy to carry. Even just lightly tapping it on bony areas of the back of my hand caused a some pain so I'm sure a hard wallop with it would be painful indeed. The shipping was fast and I'm quite satisfied with it. Youtube has some good videos on the proper usage of a kubotan you might want to check out as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weapon of Last Resort, September 1, 2012
Dear Amazon Shopper,

This item has a number of positive aspects: it is non-lethal (or less-lethal), portable, light, discreet, can be used in close-quarters, and is one of the least expensive defensive tools you can buy. This tool is highly effective at channeling the force of a blow into an attacker's body through the weapon's tip, causing pain and, if used correctly, shock or disorientation. It is inferior to mace in that it lacks range and requires more precision, but unlike mace, this product will neither expire nor run out.

However, the edge of this weapon is (appropriately) blunt; I would not consider it lethal unless in the hands of someone who knows how to use it well. Once gripped, the edge offers about 1.75" (around 4.5cm) of protrusion from your closed fist, which does not afford much in the way of reach. As previously stated, a slightly more expensive can of mace would offer similar portability and more reach while requiring far less precision. Further, as previously mentioned, this item is lightweight, offering little in the way of added momentum to any blow one might strike with it, requiring the wielder to supply all of the weapon's force.

When attacked, people have a tendency to panic and lose fine motor control. In a desperate struggle with a physically superior attacker, unless blows are landed with outstanding precision, this item will yield little in the way of protection. In order to utilize this item effectively, you need to be composed and accurate under stress and know where to strike your foe in order to cause maximum damage.

My critique, then, is that it takes a lot more than just five dollars and a keychain to protect yourself with this weapon. If you plan to rely on this to potentially defend your life you will need to put in the effort to learn how to use this tool effectively or it will only offer you a false sense of security (possibly causing more harm than good). As well, if you're an allen wrench shy of being the Keymaker from the Matrix Reloaded, this tool may not be what you're looking for, as flailing a burdensome keychain through the air will impair this item's usability.

The bottom-line is, this would be my last choice for a defensive weapon. It requires you to be in mortal proximity of your attacker and demands precision and composure while you're there, all in the hope that you can strike a disorienting blow which may allow you to escape. Mace is much easier to use, comes in a variety of compact canisters which are effective at varying ranges, and affects a wide area, requiring much less accuracy from the wielder. A stun baton, as well, offers an excellent mix of range, intimidation, and stopping power.

This is an interesting and potentially effective tool, but understand what you're committing to when you buy it and know that there are a great many alternative defensive tools out there. I see this as having a place on your keychain as a weapon of last resort, to be used only after all else fails.

Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but thin for me, April 29, 2011
I bought three of these (not the one picture but the one they send, lol) for my wife and two coworkers. Definitely an effective Kubotan of the pointed variety. Lighter than most others and thinner because of the finger groves. The three that were sent (through the 'martial art...' sellers) were all aluminum, not plastic. I've never had a plastic Kubotan so couldn't really say which is better.
This one is not for my hands, which need something a little thicker to grip and thrust with, but my wife prefers hers (this one) to my standard flat end Kubotan. This one does look more stylish and cruel if your looking for shock value. Some of my coworkers friends have commented on the devious phallic shape (shows what kind of friends they are).
If your looking for something light in your pocket/purse but still effective on pain if not more so, this is a good choice. Though thinner, it won't slip your grip on slams because of the finger grooves. It's not going to load the average man's fist though for the same reason. When I make a fist around it, I can hardly feel the difference compared to not holding it.
My wife and I have tried some hold escapes with it, all on me, and it is effectively painful. Doesn't take much for that point to make an impression. You can get pointier Kubotans but then you can also put an icepick on your key ring. This won't break skin but it'll probably go just as deep.
Wish it was cheaper but still a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, February 5, 2013
Very hard and feels good in hand for striking, punching etc. Just has a funny look to it, I've had people laugh and tell me it looks like a sex toy so I just punch them in the face.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid, safe weapon, May 25, 2011
First, the "holes" in the item picture are actually light reflections. This is a solid piece of smooth, black-anodized aluminum. My average hand fit around it perfectly.

Like many of the other reviewers, I tested this weapon on myself! There aren't many weapons where this is safe to do. The amount of difference in pain threshholds for hands vs shoulder was a lot more than I expected. Even a light amount of pressure is enough to start some pain. Try it on yourself!

I also had a chance to try this on a large dog that jumped up on me. A light touch to his side was enough to get the dog's complete attention, and slightly firmer pressure was enough for the dog to back down.

This is also a good "fiddly" object. Smooth, solid, and with a good feel. I've enjoyed carrying it around so far. Highly recommended.

EDIT -- Kubaton Self Defense is a slightly different design, but the tip is blunter, and it hurts less. But I also found it slightly more fun to fiddle with. I like both, but I'm going to give the nod to the Fury.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid and highly effective short stick key chain holder and self-defens tool., October 6, 2011
As a lifetime student of the martial arts and self-defense, including all kinds of stick arts, I found this model to be an excellent value. Having been trained and certified in the Persuader Baton, Kubaton, yawara stick and other short stick systems, I have quite a few different models.

There is a lot to like about this particular yawara stick. 1. It is a solid metal short baton, which makes it quite durable. 2. The finger grooves makes it fit in your hand tightly. 3. The pointed end is very effective to use for strikes. 4. This short stick is effective to use as a control tool. I always try to test any weapon I own and I found this model was very durable even when striking other metal and cement objects.

I do have one warning. If you intend to use this as a key holder, do not carry it with you on an airplane or take it to courtwith you. It may be considered a weapon. One look at this key chain holder and it is clear that it can also be used as self-defense weapon. This is why I also carry a plastic key like device for my keys rather than a traditional Kubaton or yawara stick.

In conclusion, if you are seeking a simple and effective self-defense tool that is reasonably priced, strong and durable you may want to order the Fury tactical key chain.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale Author: Persuader Defense Systems Official Manual)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but be careful who you purchase it from., June 21, 2014
I have two of these and the one that was as described is great. I haven't had to use it and I hope I never have too. It's light weight, but seems like it could do some serious damage.

Be careful of the seller you buy this from. The first one I bought was good and as described. I decided to buy a second one in red and it was not as described. It was smaller then the other one I have and it had no FURY branding. It's obviously a knock off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 10, 2012
Awesome product, feels great in your hand! One of these helped save my sister from being raped 15 years ago...she hit the guy in the face with her keys and slammed the point into the side of his head...and he let her go! The injuries were severe enough that he had to go to the hospital...where the police picked him up! Buy one and put it on your keys! Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product & Price!!!, September 24, 2012
I own two of these but in black. Yes i would recommend! Built well, I have dropped them on many occasions with no damages. A bit long & will stick out. But again, its has to be that way in order to reach & strike when defending yourself. I would suggest only striking the eyes, throat & groin areas when defending yourself with this product.

Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stick, September 26, 2013
JNieporte (Ohio, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this for my sister, who has no formal training with a kubotan / yawara stick / koppo / whatever you want to call it. It's made of aluminum, and has a Type II anodizing. This one is listed as crimson red, but with the way light hits it (at any angle) it looks like a metallic dark pink. If you want to change the color, this responds very well to spray paint. The Fury logo is lasered on the top portion, as shown in the Product photo. This stick is 5-3/4" long and just under 3/4" in diameter, and it weighs 2.1 ounces. A simple 1" split ring is included.

The anodizing from the factory holds up okay, but any metal objects will quickly put scratches in the finish. The stick has some really good finger grooves machined in, and they work very well for my sister's small hand, as well as my size XL glove hand. Apart from the grooves, there's nothing to keep the stick in your hand. It's smooth, and I wish there were a little texture. A piece of heat shrink tubing over the stick is an easy fix for this. The end terminates in a semi-pointed tip, which has been rounded. Using the stick like an icepick, it would be easy to damage a person. I prefer a thumb-reinforced hold with the tip down, and the split ring has to come off for this (again, I have large hands). Using the stick on a tree, it held up very well. There was no damage to the stick, but there were some missing spots of the anodizing.

This is a good force multiplier. Period. That's it for my review, but below are my thoughts on using a stick like this as a self-defense item.

-A split ring is included, and it's advocated for use with your keys. Don't do this. Sure, it makes the stick handy and makes your keys harder to lose, but using the stick on an attacker with your keys attached is an easy way to hurt yourself. Put your keys on it, hit a board or tree with it a few times with a few different strikes, and you'll see what I mean.
-This is a good non-lethal device. Yes. However, an attack to the head or neck can be fatal. Be sure you know what you're hitting.
-Familiarize yourself with how to use a kubotan. It's not hard. Mostly, you need to get the feel of "holding on" so it doesn't slip out of your hand when your strike makes contact. Foregoing any training, this would be an effective weapon with a basic icepick attack, going berzerk on the collarbone or sternum until the attacker stopped.