5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value that lasts
Published 4 months ago by MoneyPit

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent hat
Published 18 months ago by Joe L. Hailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value that lasts, May 4, 2014
I've had many boonies over the years, ranging from genuine USGI to the hat I am reviewing here. Some people review these as if they were USGI and I want to point out that this is wrong thinking. Before I get into that, I'll say I just received my Amazon-purchased hat, and its the same as one I have used as a hot weather hat for many years... so I can and will give an extended use report at the tail end of this review.

Now, to the review of the hat: The thing you have to realize here is this is not a USGI boonie. It is meant as a light weight, loose-fitting hot weather hat that keeps your brain and skin from being broiled. Its light weight and loose fit make it as comfortable as can be expected of a cover in extreme heat.

I overlaid this hat to a current USGI boonie. The brim is just a bit wider, by almost exactly the width of the 'hem' material ringing the brim. That makes it about 1/2" to 3/4" wider overall. Not a lot but its appreciated if you are snapping up the sides, as this slight extra width keeps a bit of sagging brim over your ears to prevent them sunburning. You can always bring up the sides of a boonie with the neck strap over your head, but the side snaps make this ... well, a snap. Snaps simply work better than the tie-the-string- method; and again, whoever placed the snaps did it in such a way that there is still overhang to cover your ears.

The material on this hat has been chided by some and lauded by others as very lightweight. If you remember or are aware of the hot weather uniform issued to the troops during the Vietnam era, this is *exactly* that same weight of fabric. It is a thin, airy, lightweight ripstop. For a hot weather hat that is a good thing. The label reads it out to be 65% polyester and 35% cotton so that gives it something the old-school ripstop fabric didn't have: resistance to shrinkage and maybe better durability than 100% cotton.

Yesterday I wore the hat - a 90+ degree day - while working the barbeque at a company event. Hot! The hat stayed on and was loose enough of a fit to not soak with sweat or be uncomfortable to the point I wanted to take it off. Speaking of soaking with sweat... that very lightweight fabric dries quickly. I took it off when in the shade and by the time I stepped into the sun again the band was noticeably drier.

Now for the extended use report on my older version of this hat: Its still going strong. No rips or tears. Its been skrunched up and worn a million times. Thrown into the wash to clean it up and come out fine. Its maybe shrunk a little and fits tighter ... that or the one I bought years ago wasn't this large size. Regardless its still good to go and is in my bag in the car trunk in case I need a quick sunshade.

Now that I've found where these things are for sale again I just bought two more.

EDIT: OK so I bought two more. The Woodland pattern one was just great. Same lightweight ripstop material. Same loose fit but the depth of the hat was shallower to more closely fit my head, which I like. The ACU pattern I bought in the same order also had the same fitment and material, but one button was so loose the brim wouldn't stay snapped, and one of the vents was only partially covered with mesh. Amazon took it right back no problem. I ordered another plain green like my first one reviewed above. This one was made with a thin non-ripstop material nearly identical to the 'extended-use' hat I discussed above. It also was more form-fitting to my head and this one was less generous in its diameter. I can see it shrinking fairly tight like my old one.

Conclusion: these are cheap hats well suited to their intended purpose as light weight covers in hot weather. I expect they are made from whatever materials the mfr can get hold of cheap in a given month. If you get a loose one made of ripstop you are golden. If not you're still good... and after all its a cheapie hat so cheap you can buy 3 or 4 and toss one in a backpack, one in the trunk of each car etc. Me I shave my head and live in a hot climate so the skinhead always wears a hat or bad things happen. These hats are great for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes., June 11, 2013
Why the heck DON'T you need a tactical boonie in German Flecktarn?

It fits true to my hat size, well made, good looking, offers the right amount of shade while I'm fishing and the girlfriend hates it. Bonus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent hat, March 21, 2013
First, as others here stated, these hats are big for the stated size. I wear a large but I ordered a medium because of this and it fits me perfectly. I have another boonie and it's made of a heavier, stiffer material. This one is lighter and more flexible which is what I actually wanted. Material and workmanship are what you'd expect from a $10 hat....imperfections in the stitches, seems are a little off. Meh. It doesn't feel like it's going to come apart in my hands.

Overall, it's decent enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hat for the Price, April 8, 2014
We got this hat to replace one that was getting too small for my husband's head. We weren't sure how this was going to be, but we figured we would give it a shot. When the package arrived, we didn't know how there could possibly be a hat inside, but there was. This hat popped into shape and it fits perfectly. Great material and craftsmanship for the price. We will be ordering more of these in other colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a Man, buy this Hat. No really, buy one., July 18, 2014
First off, there is no sizing for this hat whatsoever. I wear a 7&3/8-1/2 ball cap and it fit perfect with a little wiggle room.
I needed a hat that would cover my face and neck, because lets face it, I'm a guy and I almost always forget to put sunblock on my face, neck, and ears. And factoring my pale skin and Irish heritage being in the sun is bad for me at any level, and I dont need or want any more freckles. I've got enough.This hat covered those areas perfectly.
I went with the olive green, which I would say is true to color. I ended buying a second in a camo pattern because I needed one when I'm on man trips shooting things and being a MAN. The solid color one is for when I'm with my kids and I dont want to be " the weird guy with camo clothing on because he's probably some crazy gun nut guy with a bomb shelter", but I digress.
Shipping was lightning fast as usual with amazon, props are due there. Look, the hat runs around 7$, its not some high quality name brand hat, but it does the job. You'll buy two, maybe even more I don't know. If you want to drop 40$+ on a hat that has super special micro fibers that cool or repel insects and increase your swag level by ten then go ahead and buy one. If you dont care about things like that and just need a boonie hat, then get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit and versatile., March 24, 2014
I have always wanted a Boonie hat and this one is awesome. It has snaps so that it becomes a different style and it is constructed well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, May 5, 2014
Perfect hat for what I wanted; To keep the sun off my beautiful bald head. Doesnt get all nasty after a sweat. I wash it in the washing machine every once in a while. No problem with that. Do not throw it in the dryer though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what they picture., June 20, 2014
Sized incorrectly when produced; Advert Pic showed nylon ripstop product but is cotton duck.; No type of material specified in Ad. Cotton duck will "shrink/reshape" when washed making item smaller; nylon does not do that. Email reply from MallofUSA incorrectly structured: possibly not an American Company at all since item was shipped from Hunan China. Again misleading AD info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits wells, April 10, 2014
Works well in the heat, matches the camouflage well, well made, as advertised, light and comfortable, good for the money

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchase 1, then 3 more, August 1, 2014
Great product for the price. Hat is well constructed and seems durable. The prices do change. I purchased my first one for around $7 using amazon prime. Later I noticed it for $2.47 plus $1.02 shipping. I liked the first one so much I purchased 3 more. At less than $4 it's worth it. I keep one in my backpack, one in my golf bag, one in my car and another in my garage.

Rate and Discover Movies