Other Sellers on Amazon
Tai Chi Master
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Exclusive interview with star Chin Siu Ho
- On location in Chen village
- Director Brett Ratner and critic Elvis Mitchell on director Yuen Ho-ping
- Critic Elvis Mitchell and director Brett Ratner on stars Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh
- Original home video trailer
Top Customer Reviews
This film plays the classic elements of revenge, loyalty, betrayal, and the clearly emerging delineation, and struggle, between Good and Evil, quite well. Admittedly, some of the wire-work is fantastic, but it adds to, not detracts from, the epic scale of the story. Jet Li portrays the "good guy" extremely well, with Michelle Yeoh in a very good supporting role and contributing one of the movie's best one-on-one fight scenes.
I saw this film at the theaters almost ten years ago, when it was first released, and it is still on my personal, "top 10" list of the best kung-fu movies I've ever seen.
The DVD version has much better picture quality than the VHS version and it is in widescreen (the VHS version has the sides chopped sometimes chopping parts of the subtitles!).
The spoken language on the DVD is in English (dubbed), compared with Chinese (Cantonese) with English subtitles on the VHS version. Sadly some of the translation is lost in the English DVD version -- it looks like they made an effort to match the words with the mouths moving, so the translation has been adjusted to fit. This was definately an attempt to help this movie appeal to a widestream English audience rather than just die-hard Hong Kong movie fans.
Dissapointingly the DVD version offers no subtitles or other audio options. I would have liked to see at least the Cantonese soundtrack as well as the English, with English (and other language) subtitles as an option. That way die-hard fans (like me) can watch it in Cantonese and read the subtitles, but the 'main stream' viewers can see it in English.
All-in-all I still enjoyed the DVD version (due to the better picture quality) It makes a nice addition to my Jet Li collection.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Very entertaining! OK, most Americans will not get the humor but even if you only watch it for the Martial Arts you will find it very fun to watch.Published 7 days ago by Sensei Gary Masengale
I remember twin warriors from back in the day.. This movie is the best!! Even my kids enjoyed itPublished 17 days ago by Marcia Mars
Great martial arts action film showcasing Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh who both have to overcome a loss in their relationships in order overcome an oppressive ruler.Published 1 month ago by Hasasuki
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Exercise & Fitness
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Foreign Films
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Hong Kong Action
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials