Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Size Name: 1-PackChange

on May 1, 2010
I previously owned a similiar Tajima chalk line that was red and I thought it was great.I even bought them for my crew when I was framing houses in California. I lost that red one and when it came time to replace it I of course thought of Tajima. When shopping online for a new one I saw the old red one and this one too. This one was a bit cheaper so I chose it. After using it a couple times I realized it is as good or better than the more expensive red one. Sometimes when I fill a chalk line full of chalk the first several times I use it extra chalk spills out around the area you want your line, (annoying). I filled this one chock full and no extra chalk spillage and the line is thin, neat and crisp. Bottom line this is the best line. It also has a couple little features that are nice. A place to hold the hook, a locking button for the line when you have pulled it out to the extent you want and fast rewind. The line itself is strong and thin and the hook is large and durable. I've never had the line frey and break off the hook like the Stanley versions often do. It's a good tool. I would also recommend using Tajima chalk.
11 comment41 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2010
I am a full time carpenter and purchased this chalk box 4 months ago (under my wife's name). The box is unbeatable for the price. It holds plenty of chalk and is not nearly as messy as other boxes I have had. The hook is very useful and the line is strong & thin, which makes for a very clean line. The only draw back to the thin line is that it stretches a lot and can make snapping a line that is longer than thirty feet a little more challenging. All in all, a great bang for the buck.
0Comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2015
The Chalk-Rite chalk boxes have the best design features I've used and durability is great. That said, I returned this particular model because in practical use, this cheaper plastic/rubber model has been sort of dumbed down from the Chalk-RiteII in ways that may seem superficial but in practice are - for me, the way I use chalk lines - deal breakers. The most obvious is that it is significantly larger and bulkier in physical size than the diecast aluminum version (Chalk-Rite II). I want something compact that I can slip in and out of my bags easily, quickly, effortlessly. The sleeker aluminum version handles better in my opinion. This leads to the second point, that it is entirely wrapped on the sides and rear in sticky rubber. Depending on your usage this may be an asset but in my usage, the ability to slide it across a work piece to a partner or slip it into my bags without getting caught up overrides the desire for better grip. The thick rubber also adds to the bulk. Again, great features in concept, but in practice, I much prefer the aluminum versions, despite their expense. Tajima's winder design is awesome, and the braided line holds chalk, is more durable, and snaps better than traditional cotton lines.
on June 21, 2014
I have used every decent chalk line they sell at the big home stores. All of them are inferior to this one.
Why i like the Tajima CR301JF.
1) Very smooth and easy wind up
2) Doesn't spill lots of chalk when line is pulled out
3) Line holds chalk very well
4) Reel lock comes in handy, no need to wrap line around finger to pull line tight. also keeps line from pulling out when chalk box is in your pouches.

I have been doing carpentry work for 15 years and this hands down is the best chalk box I have ever used. After letting co-workers use my chalk line two of them have ordered one for themselves. You wont regret purchasing this product.
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2012
I can't rave about this chalk line box. I struggled with the line lock inadvertently locking, it did jam from time to time especially during rewind, like all chalk boxes you have to shake it to get good coverage. In the end I asked myself was it worth the extra money if I was still tripping the line lock, still jamming on rewind and still shaking the box after a weak line. I found myself dealing with all the issues I did with a box at nearly half the price.
on July 28, 2011
This is the first snap line box i've bought. A far cry better than the old square metal ones i've used in the past. The case is sturdy and slightly transparent so you can see how "full of chalk" it is. The line is made from heavy duty cord and the hook at the end is well made and grips to most edges very well. Its larger than the usual snap box, but it is very comfortable to use and will last a long time i can tell.
review image review image review image
on March 20, 2011
Everything about this chalkline is superior to any other chalkline I've used in the past. From the clip, line, and reel, to the fold down handle, every feature is better. When snapping, the line comes out with a clearly distinct mark that's 1/2 to 1/3 the width of other lines. Refilling the chalk is a snap (no pun intended) you just twist off the top and you have plenty of room to stick the tip of the chalk container in. My only problem with this chalkline is 1)getting used to the locking feature , that allows you to easily use the "box" to pull the line tight. 2) The size. It's quite bulky, doesn't fit in my toolpouch without compromising my access to nails or other tools I keep in my pouch.
I recommend this chalkline for it's overall superior performance, but you won't like it's size.
Kim Lemon, carpenter for 35 years
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2011
This is a wonderful chalk like. I build post frame metal buildings. This chalk line comes in very handy when we mark the nailers so that we can screw or nail the metal on. It is best for making at great line when we are ready to put our different trims on. It gives a great thin line (this one has the bold line in it)to set our trim to.

There are a couple of downsides. 1. more difficult to use in the wind. 2. the hook is pretty soft it bends easily, but the rubber is nice so it doesn't scratch.

Other than that I am extremly pleased with my purchase!!!!
33 comments5 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2009
I bought 6 of these for the guys building my house and they absolutely love them. The braided line gives a more precise line than the other string lines. The rewind feature is fast with no tangles or knots. You will be happy with this!
0Comment11 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2013
After using a number of different chalk lines over the years, I decided to give this a try. It has a very nice line that holds ample chalk for a few snapings, and it is a moderate fine that adds some precision over others. The locking feature is great, as you can lock it wherever versus having to go or shorten a quarter or half turn. The locking mechanism also automatically unlocks when you start to reel. The reel is not my favorite, but it does go much faster than most others I've had. It does stick a bit when pulling out the line, but I'm hoping it breaks in as it it used. Overall, I'll probably buy another.