Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on October 5, 2011
DO NOT BUY A TAKAGI TANKLESS WATER HEATER. I gave 1 star only because I couldn't give a negative star. I have had 2 Takagi Tankless Water Heaters and they both failed prematurely. Takagi will not stand behind their product. In June of 2006 I had a Takagi T-M1 installed in my residence. The unit worked fine until November of 2010 when it broke down. The error code indicated a failed fan. With the advice of Technical Services, I replaced the fan motor and several other components. That did not correct the problem. After 3 days without hot water, I did not want to wait any longer. I replaced the T-M1 with a brand new Takagi T-M32 NG. The T-M32 worked fine for 9 months then stopped working. There was water leaking from inside the unit and an error code indicated a failure to ignite. After several phone calls and emails to customer service, I shipped the unit to Takagi for warranty repair (remember, it broke down after only 9 months). Takagi had my heater for 18 days before they sent me an email stating that their inspection revealed the the unit failed as a result of hard water and will not be repaired under warranty. Although I advised them that the previous Takagi unit was in service for over 4 years with the same municipal water supply. They still would NOT cover it under warranty. After several email exchanges they offered to repair it at a discounted rate of slightly over $600 plus shipping. No thanks! I will not allow another Takagi product under my roof.

I replaced the T-M32 with a Rinnai R98LSi Natural Gas Indoor Tankless Water Heater, 9.8 GPM
I've been extremely happy with the performance of the Rinnai unit. With both Takagi units I had to have the kitchen faucet turned on all the way to activate the unit. The Rinnai unit will fire up when the faucet is turned on less then halfway. The Rinnai R98LSi also comes with a built-in digital display and temperature controller. This will also display error codes for diagnostics. With the T-M32 you have to open the front cover to access some switches to adjust the temperature or buy a remote temperature controller Takagi TM-RE30 Temperature Remote Control if you want easy temperature control and error code display. I still believe in the "tankless" principal for heating water but have lost all faith in Takagi as a viable option for anyone looking to go tankless. My experience with their product is they are not reliable and the manufacturer's Customer Service and product support is very poor. If you are deciding Takagi vs Rinnai, without hesitation go Rinnai.
on March 10, 2015
BUYER BEWARE!!! I have bought 2 takagi tankless water heaters and both stopped working way too soon. The first 1 had to be replaced 1 year after installation and the manufacturer claimed that since the plumber that installed it was not licensed they could not stand behind their warranty. My biggest mistake was to purchase a second one just because the installation would be easier since the proper hook ups were already there. We hired a licensed plumber to do the installation and 7 months later the water heater stopped heating the water. Out of anger my husband took the tankless heater out and installed a totally different brand and type of water heater before we called the manufacture.

I just called the manufacture and was told to ship the tankless water heater to them , but that they would not cover any shipping cost ( it cost us $68). They told me that after they received the water heater they would determine if it was a manufacturing error ( I was told the process could take about 30 business days).
on April 4, 2015
I am having similar problems with the Takagi as well. Our home was built in August 2008, within two weeks the downstairs unit went out there was hot water coming out of an outside water hose but no hot water in the two downstairs bathroom's. Takagi replaced the entire unit. That same unit went out again about eight months later, it was a sensor Takagi replaced the sensor and we have not had any problems since (knock on wood). Now the unit that control's the kitchen, upstairs bathroom, and laundry room has failed, we contacted a licensed plumber who is not familiar with this product and he was on the phone with the rep for over one hour trying to correct the problem. Our plumber was told it was a sensor, Takagi replaced the sensor the unit still does not work. There was water inside the unit Takagi said it was something else sent the replacement piece for the unit, it takes ten minutes for the water to get hot; or we would need to be running our dishwasher or washing machine for the unit to have instant hot water and it still may get cold while the water is running. Takagi tells our plumber it is because our water pressure is too low. This unit sucks. Our builder recommended this product and stated it was so great in his house, if I had to do it over I would go with a good old American made product because your plumber may be more familiar with a American product.
on March 1, 2016
Takagi repairs will suck your wallet dry. I have spent $1,064.35 on repairs over the last 5 years (2011-2016). It has broken down 7 times. That amount would balloon another $400 to fix the latest breakdown, but I have finally decided to replace it with a Rinnai. My repair guy said he has only had 10 Rinnai repairs over the last 13 years. You can't afford to make the same mistake I did.
on March 9, 2014
I have one T-MI in my home - worked flawlessly since 1996. Had 2 problems - needed to clean out the strainer. One phone call and tech helped me out. Now, after 18 yearsof service, I have a more serious problem and they are wonderful in how hard they are trying to help me. Before this, I had 2 Bradford $1500 heater which broke within 13 months, each. And they said "Oh Well". So I was out $3000. THe Mobius Takagi has been great for under $1200. I have 3 rental properties with smaller ones, the TK1Jr. No problems. Once, the strainer needed to be cleaned on one. Whopee- loosen a cap, remove 3/4 " strainer, remove the junk, flush it, replace it, and you are in business. Dollar per degree of hot water, TAKAGI is MY choice for every rental I have. Everyone loves it!!!!
on February 28, 2014
Our takagi was an outdoor water heater and four days after installing it it failed. Water got inside unit and takagi refused to stand behind their product! They said warranty does not include weather damage...really because I thought we purchased an outdoor unit!
on January 3, 2013
I built my new home in 2000 and tankless were hard to find and most plumbers knew little if anything about them. Since I was the builder of my home I selected a Takagi the commercial model they had at the time MB-1. I sold the home in 2009 and while I lived there we had absolutely no problems with the water heater and loved having an endless supply.

I am about to buy a home with 2 water heaters located in the attic and I plan to pull both of them out and replace with a Takagi.

They have been around longer and pioneered tankless water heating while US makers were still pushing there old tank water heaters.

I think they make a great product. As far as standing behind it, I can't say because we had no problems.
on November 13, 2014
I had a new Takagi tankless water heater installed during our home renovation. The unit has never worked to our satisfaction due to the amount of time it takes to produce hot water. Our small bathroom is on the first floor in the opposite corner of the house from the water heater. When the hot water is turned on full, it takes about three to four minutes to produce any hot water. It is the same story for our kitchen sink. This is unbelievable! When taking a shower, sometimes the hot water will stop and it will become ice cold until the hot water makes its way to the faucet again. Now, we just had a flame sensor rod and gasket failure. It will cost me another $70 to fix this. And, the annual maintenance costs about $135 which was never mentioned when looking at this unit. Overall, I am very dissatisfied with this unit.