4.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Guitar, February 13, 2012
Greg Bass "Sound Guy" (East Providence, RI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takamine ESN10C Ac/El Dreadnought Guitar Natural
I really like this guitar. It's made in Japan. The neck needed a minor tweak out of the box and it was down to 1/32" action. Solid Spruce top. Back and Sides are Sapele laminate. Rosewood string-thru bridge (no pins!)with two offset saddles. Neck is solid African Mahogany with a two-way truss rod, rough cut on CNC machinery and cut to final shape, sanded, and finished by hand. Rosewood fretboard. Tuners are good. Stays in tune very well (Peterson Clip tuner). Sounds very good plugged in. Sturdy end-pin output jack. It has a strap button on the neck. I think it has a nice, balanced sound unplugged. This is designed primarily as a stage guitar to be used plugged in. The use of laminates is not a cost-cutting measure. It's is designed to help fight feedback by reducing vibration in the body. I sent a couple of pre-sale e-mails to Takamine US and Japan and received timely and complete answers to my questions. The recommended case is the GC1128T. I purchased a Kyser 6/12 String Lifeguard Humidifier #16154 to protect from drying. All-in-all very satisfied with this instrument.

5.0 out of 5 stars ESN10C is a superb PRO guitar, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Takamine ESN10C Ac/El Dreadnought Guitar Natural
Do not be fooled that this is some beginners / intermediate guitar. It is a PRO players' guitar.

Ergo, just because it is not a USA made £2,000 or £3K or £4K plus expensive instrument does not mean it is not on a par with exactly those guitars.

This will hold its own against Taylors and Martins and all other PRO kit. It has its own unique place. It will not sound like a 1937 or 1942 Martin nor indeed play like them. Beware snob value creeping in on a review. I love this Tak.

So to my £1's worth of comment on the Tak. I've had this Tak ESN10C since April 2012. What a brilliant guitar. Steal of the C21st I would suggest. FYI - I have had the 6 stringer disease since the mid-late 1970s oh and it is hand-made in Japan, not Korean or elsewhere.

Solid Spruce Top - and - SOLID Sapele back. The sides are Sapele laminate which is useful viz feedback - good for PA stage use.

This guitar is exquisite having a very controlled projection. Bonus of the part that is laminate being less danger of falling apart as ALL solid wood guitars require more attention to environment especially humidity, hot, cold, central heating etc..

Excellent playability. Superb construction. The best built-in acoustic electro system. This beauty came with D'Addario EXP16 EXP (0.12 - 0.53) fitted. Surprisingly very chiming. Gave long sustaining harmonics, on plucked chords quite sublime.

I have now fitted D'Addario EXP26 which are lighter great for bending licks. Unplugged it is significantly quieter of course. Plugged in it is irrelevant when used for recording or writing, jamming etc..

Obviously I have sacrificed the benefits of solo performance offered by the medium gauge. But I like to bend and my fingers could handle the heavier gauge, though I'd rather not, also it was shocking how over strength they were when back on the Original Floyd Rose EMG beast that shares the stable.

I have yet to go on 'the string mission' trying out DR and Ernie Ball brands etc but am sure there will be revealed the perfect match with this instrument, if not, I shall be reverting back to the original string type.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Beg-Intermediate guitar if you can get a deal., December 14, 2011
This review is from: Takamine ESN10C Ac/El Dreadnought Guitar Natural
I spent 750 dollars for this guitar new from other seller.

Pros-
1. The guitar is very easy to play as the set up out of the box was very nice.
2. looks beautiful and smooth neck.
3. built in tuner and decent pre amps.
4. Sounds clean

Con-
1. The space between the strings may be too narrow for finger style pickers with med-big fingers.
2. may sound too bright to some people.

As always, it is best to play a guitar before you buy it, so it is a risk to buy online. But this is a good guitar for the price.

Takamine ESN10C Ac/El Dreadnought Guitar Natural