5.0 out of 5 stars Much food for thought
Published on July 22, 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I was a little disappointed. it wasn't appropriate to send to my teenage granddaughter.
Published 23 days ago by Diane

5.0 out of 5 stars Much food for thought, July 22, 2002
Amazon Customer "roshanpaul" (Davidson, NC United States) - See all my reviews
In the unbelievably commercialized world we live in, this book comes as a breath of fresh air telling college graduates how they should think as they head out into the world. Since most of the advisors are artists, their advice isn't likely to help you make a lot of money! However, I firmly believe that artists hold the key to the future because they alone refuse to buy into the dominant cultural/political system (in this case, mindless consumerism) and seek ways of framing new modes of thought. For this reason, this book should be read by anyone discontented with sheer consumerism and searching for a better way to live. What's especially telling is how many of these artists suggest that we stop watching TV!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as Dorky as It Sounds, May 25, 2002
Steven Moore (Ann Arbor, MI USA) - See all my reviews
because of the colorful list of contributors, folks like Richard Powers, Tom Robbins, William S. Burroughs, Alexander Theroux, Judith Butler, William T. Vollmann, Robert Creeley, Ken Kesey, R. U. Sirius, et al.--not your usual advice-mongerers. An especially appealing feature is the young photographs of many of the contributors: Camille Paglia at her first job, Quentin Crisp as a young exquisite, and a drop-dead glamorous photo of philosopher Martha Nussbaum as a college freshman that will make you weak in the knees. And the advice is more frank and useful than you'll find in most books of this ilk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Wisdom & Reflections!, May 2, 2003
There are 79 fascinating original essays in this collection that were gathered together over a period of ten years from public figures who give out their advice, wisdom, and reflections on life. The book is chuck full of insight from people like Quentin Crisp, Bette Davis, William S. Burroughs, Katharine Hepburn, and others. Joe Dallesandro, star of Andy Warhol and Paul Morrissey's late 60's cult films, "Flesh, Trash, and Heat" offers some excellent advice in his essay. He states, "The negative aspect of beauty in our culture is our obsession with it - like when a person becomes bulimic or anorexic because they want to look like a celebrity or a model in a magazine. He further states, "Beauty is fun, it has its place, but don't mistake it for self-worth". In other words we need more than beauty and good looks to feel fulfilled. We need to look inside ourselves and find inner beauty and true meaning in our lives. Once in a while we should forget the "me" and lend a helping hand to others who need us. Good advice.

You may not agree with all of the advice being dished out in these essays, but it is a fascinating look into the lives of these famous and not so famous individuals, and the way they think. It will also make you think a little more deeply yourself, and provide you with plenty of interesting advice to digest and compare with your own beliefs. Harmon has done an excellent job in bringing these people's thoughts into our own thoughts. This is a book I certainly will read again!
Joe Hanssen

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for the young., January 1, 2008
David M. Cundiff (Indiana, United States) - See all my reviews
I believe I picked up my first copy of 'Take My Advice' at some sort of clearance sale. Not long after I returned to purchase another copy to give to a good friend of mine. She had just graduated and I could not wait to share this book with someone. The editor did a great job of picking a wide variety of people to write essays on advice to the young. Very insightful. Very personal. I also enjoyed seeing the candid photos of the contributors from their youth. This book really struck a chord with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take my advice and check out this book, September 14, 2002
Annex "annexgirl" (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is filled with advice from a wide array of writers, artists, philosophers, photographers, poets, critics and even a sexologist.
I came across this book by fluke one day, and it turned out to be one of the most rewarding books I have ever read. After reading this, I felt uplifted, inspired and viewed success from a new angle. If you are a person obsessed with chasing the almighty dollar, I would not recommend this book. It only gives advice on the things in life that truly matter.
This book was created in order to give advice to the young, the people who are just starting out. But yet, I believe it to still be a useful tool to those growing older, for a person is never too old to learn or to grow. If you want things to change, it is best to start with yourself.
I will leave you with some sample pieces of advice given by the writer Lucius Shepard:
"Just because you're living on the edge doesn't mean that you don't have to do the right thing.
Run like hell if you have to, but try not to hurt anyone.
If you get ahead of the game, let some of your money loose in the world where it can do some good, and chances are that good thing will come back around.
Make sure you know whomever you have to trust.
Take the cash and flush the credit cards."

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 6, 2014
This review is from: Take My Advice: Letters to the Next Generation from People Who Know a Thing or Two (Paperback)
Some great advise...introduced to a lot cool thinkers i never heard of...and that's a good thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, December 2, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, November 9, 2014
Borrow this book from the library.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, September 11, 2014