5.0 out of 5 stars "Success Means Doing What Others Won't"
After reading "Take The Stairs" I can honestly say that my perspective has changed.

My perspective on how I approach business, my family, my friends, and life.

Published on February 7, 2012 by Dustin M. Hillis

2.0 out of 5 stars Blatant Sales Pitch!
Published on March 22, 2012 by Den

5.0 out of 5 stars "Success Means Doing What Others Won't", February 7, 2012
This review is from: Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success (Hardcover)

My perspective on how I approach business, my family, my friends, and life.

In business I apply Rory Vaden's principle of "The Law of the Pendulum" and am always reminding myself that if there is something I need to do... to just do it now! Pick up the phone, send the thank you card, read the book, etc.

In my family life I apply the "Rent Axiom". When it comes to being a good husband and father... I'm always reminding myself of Mr Vaden's idea that "success is never owned it's rented, and the rent is due everyday". And his joke is true... some days the rent is higher than others. :)

With my friends I'm always thinking about "Pain Paradox Principle". Knowing that if I don't make a decision everyday to be a good friend and make good decisions when spending time with my friends that the consequences of my small decisions that bring pleasure in the short term can have drastic effects in the long term.

In life I have truly found myself literally and figuratively taking the stairs. If there is something I don't want to do, I remind myself that "success means doing things that others won't".

5.0 out of 5 stars Commitment, February 7, 2012
I've stayed up til almost 5am to read this book. This book has given me a good kick in the rear, which I've needed.

As close as I can describe, this is not your ordinary 'self-help' book. I don't necessarily agree with everything Mr. Vaden says in this book but it truly is full of some incredible wisdom and true, memorable gems.

This is a book for those of us who have either gone soft and quietly taken our lot or possibly for those of us who have worked hard for success and happiness yet still feel we are missing the mark. There is a great deal to be absorbed here. Read the first chapter on the kindle page for free and see if it speaks to you- it definitely did to me. If it doesn't capture you then it may not be the book for you as it continues in a similar vein.

Complacency and half-a**ing it have become the status quo for many in our society. It would be nice to blame our leaders, our government, the banks, the price of tea, etc. but this isn't really about that. This book is about deciding what you want then to do what you can to achieve your greatest success through hard work, commitment and self-discipline.

The author has broken the book up into several sections-the intro, chapters based on his 7 steps, an epilogue of some very impassioned encouragement to make a commitment to yourself and those around you and then (yes, a little more self-helpish) an action guide for implementing the steps. Some of that I could do without but the overall message is important: we have become soft and we need to do something about it. The happiness/success fairy is not going to magically bestow the life to which many believe they are entitled upon them. Vaden

For me, the commitment aspect hit me hard- possibly because I am an equestrienne and horses taught me early on that if you are going to go over a jump or decide to go somewhere, you must commit- or you fail at best, get seriously hurt at worst. The book is a quick read and Vaden pulls in numerous examples he calls 'case studies'. While anecdotal, they do a great deal to help understand his steps and point of view.

The author applies numerous economic principles (short run vs. long run, opportunity cost) and applies them in a psychological/sociological way. I highly recommend. I do want to warn that the author self-promotes his personal coaching program and supplies web references at the end of many chapters that I have not had a chance to vet out yet. I'm not a big fan of the whole self-promotion thing but Vaden has lots of good things to say. I think someone with a discerning mind and an interest in changing life-either in small or big ways- who can sift their personal grain-from-the-chaff will enjoy this book.

Maybe a quotation from the author will sum it up best despite its self-helpy nature: "Create accountability in your life. Share your vision with someone who can encourage you, develop action plans with people who can help you, invest in your dream--and you'll be amazed at how quickly your fear, entitlement, and perfectionism begin to fade."

5.0 out of 5 stars Stairway to Success, February 7, 2012
Rory Vaden's Take the Stairs isn't just a book. It isn't a system that you'll try and forget over time. It is truly a new way of thinking that becomes natural the more you practice it, so much so that you won't believe you hadn't been thinking that way all along. I have found myself to be more productive in work than ever before, more joyful in my time with family and friends, more rested in my down time, and all around more driven and satisfied with life. You may hesitate to read this because you're afraid of change - most people are - but face this new way of living, your own set of stairs, boldly. You'll be so glad you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have for everyone seeking true success in life, February 7, 2012
I can't put Rory's book down! His discussion is so poignant and just the message that we all need to hear. I have found myself underlining almost everything in the book for future reference because I don't want to forget these ideas and want to apply them to my life.

If you only read one book this year - read this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars No shortcuts, February 7, 2012
I find myself reading and then re-reading particular passages in this book. A disciplined life? It really makes you think. Many people have slipped into accepting the easier path and instant gratification (the escalator, if you will). The path to success is gained through hard work and living a disciplined life (taking the stairs). This book provides the map for our trip to the top in our business lives and our personal lives. We all need this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally...the Key to Success..if you have the guts to apply!, February 7, 2012
This book is absolutely AWESOME. I have read hundreds of sales/motivational/leadership books and attended my share of workshops and motivational seminars. This is by FAR the best recipe for success in sales, business and LIFE! Every person over the age of 7 should read this book and apply the principles. If so, schools would work, the economy would take care of itself, and folks would realize that it's the discipline and proper self talk they lack..not opportunity! Great Job Rory!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's holding you back?, February 10, 2012
What's holding you back in your career? In your relationships? In your life?

The answer is: YOU!

So many of us have fallen into the trap of taking the easy way out in almost everything we do. There are so many times every day when we take the path of least resistance - and we don't even think about it.

This book is a great wake up call. It's a quick, easy read (I couldn't put it down!), with interesting (and sometimes hilarious!) stories and analogies that keep it from feeling like "those other" self help books out there.

Meanwhile, it lays out specific steps that you can start taking TODAY; steps that will change your attitude forever. Start doing all the little things - those things you KNOW you should be doing. Put yourself on the path towards your true goals.

Rory's steps can be learned in minutes - but you can spend years thinking about them, incorporating them into your life, and using them to help you achieve all the success you know deep down you are destined for.

So glad I read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Take The Stairs is your First Step on the Journey to the Rest of your Life!, June 16, 2014
I read all of the success books that come out and very rarely does one grab me so strongly from the title to the last word as Rory's book has done. A short, quick read that I read twice in one weekend. The core of the book is finding the success we all strive for and deserve, but don't always know how to obtain. Through insightful stories and clearly defined principles, Rory takes us on a journey of self-discover (his own retold and ours) and he is the guide we are following. The seven principles are broken done as Sacrifice, Commitment, Focus, Integrity, Schedule, Faith and Action. Success is ultimately about Self-discipline, mainly to do the things that need to be done, even when we don't want to do them. As the book states, "self discipline is the simplest and fastest way to make life as easy as possible.....it creates freedom, the freedom to do anything". Buy this book, study this book and give this book to those who you care about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The right message at the perfect time, February 7, 2012
What a great book!

Rory drives straight to the heart of why we constantly look for easier ways of doing things, get-rich quick schemes, and short cuts to everything in life. His message is one that applies to us all. And while we sometimes don't like to hear it, after internalizing the principles so aptly wrapped together in this easily-digestible collection of wisdom, I really got where I can make shifts in my own life.

This book does an excellent job of using years of experience, case-studies of dozens of successful individuals, charts, tested laws, and great stories sprinkled throughout. And while I am usually one to slowly digest great material like this, I could not put this one down and knocked it out in two days.

Such a great read, this is the one!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blatant Sales Pitch!, March 22, 2012
I started off really enjoying this book, in fact i read the first 80 pages in 1 sitting. There are some interesting perspectives but as it goes on it becomes an uncomfortable sales pitch with religious undertones. Vaden consistently endorses the Souhtwestern family of companies. So much so that it felt like he was recruiting for them, and at the end of the book he has 2 pages devoted to explaining their organization. When you go to his website for the reader bonuses it asks if you have a teenager and you can even sign them up for Southwestern. He is constantly mentioning his consulting company (which is also called Southwest), and if you take the online quiz to assess yourself it is mandatory that you give your email and phone number and tell them what kind of coaching you would like. Then it takes a weird religious turn where he quotes the bible and some reverends/pastors, and touts the importance of faith. The content of this book is so light that it could have been an article of a few pages.

Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success by Rory Vaden (Hardcover - February 7, 2012)
Used & New from: $1.94