Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on February 7, 2012
After reading "Take The Stairs" I can honestly say that my perspective has changed.

My perspective on how I approach business, my family, my friends, and life.

In business I apply Rory Vaden's principle of "The Law of the Pendulum" and am always reminding myself that if there is something I need to do... to just do it now! Pick up the phone, send the thank you card, read the book, etc.

In my family life I apply the "Rent Axiom". When it comes to being a good husband and father... I'm always reminding myself of Mr Vaden's idea that "success is never owned it's rented, and the rent is due everyday". And his joke is true... some days the rent is higher than others. :)

With my friends I'm always thinking about "Pain Paradox Principle". Knowing that if I don't make a decision everyday to be a good friend and make good decisions when spending time with my friends that the consequences of my small decisions that bring pleasure in the short term can have drastic effects in the long term.

In life I have truly found myself literally and figuratively taking the stairs. If there is something I don't want to do, I remind myself that "success means doing things that others won't".
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
Rory Vaden's Take the Stairs isn't just a book. It isn't a system that you'll try and forget over time. It is truly a new way of thinking that becomes natural the more you practice it, so much so that you won't believe you hadn't been thinking that way all along. I have found myself to be more productive in work than ever before, more joyful in my time with family and friends, more rested in my down time, and all around more driven and satisfied with life. You may hesitate to read this because you're afraid of change - most people are - but face this new way of living, your own set of stairs, boldly. You'll be so glad you did!
on March 12, 2012
I agree wholeheartedly with his point of view. Don't just take the easy way - take the way that has the best results long term. As the title suggests - take the stairs rather then the escalator or elevator (a habit I do 80% of the time if it is less then 4 flights (and often the other is because I do not know where the stairs are))

His seven steps:

1 - Sacrifice. I do not like the wording since it seems like a punishment. The gist of it is - do tough things now for the success it yields in the long term. Like one of my success mantras "Successful people do tough things".

2 - Commitment. It is our decision what we commit to. The greater the commitment, the great the chance of success.

3 - Focus. He really nailed this one. This is an area that I personally am not good at. I tend to want it all so focus on everything (and I don't think that is what he means by good focus)

4 - Integrity. Speaks for itself.

5 - Schedule. Create a schedule that meets all your needs. To some extent this also touches on success habits.

6 - Faith - Put faith into enjoyable results, not enjoyable processes. (goes a bit against the zen I try for which is enjoying the process. Although in the end, I would not be happy without the results)

7 - Action. You are much more likely to act your way into healthy thinking than think yourself into healthy action. In the end, it is the actions - not the thoughts that make things happen.

I loved the chapter on procrastination. Some quotes:

"When we have diluted focus, we get diluted results"
"In the absense of disciplined focus, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia."
"We don't pay attention to things we don't first give our intention to."
on September 12, 2015
I heard the author speak on the Art of Manliness podcast and thought this book sounded great. It has valuable suggestions that have been culled from other sources. Ideas are repeated multiple times although not always defined. It was a thin book without a lot of content. The writing was sometimes sloppy and could have used a good editor to clean up the grammar in spots. The writer seems to be a better speaker than writer and he seems to have tried to coin phrases and repeat them ad naseum in order to market himself a la 7 Habits, Chicken Soup, etc.
on March 22, 2012
I started off really enjoying this book, in fact i read the first 80 pages in 1 sitting. There are some interesting perspectives but as it goes on it becomes an uncomfortable sales pitch with religious undertones. Vaden consistently endorses the Souhtwestern family of companies. So much so that it felt like he was recruiting for them, and at the end of the book he has 2 pages devoted to explaining their organization. When you go to his website for the reader bonuses it asks if you have a teenager and you can even sign them up for Southwestern. He is constantly mentioning his consulting company (which is also called Southwest), and if you take the online quiz to assess yourself it is mandatory that you give your email and phone number and tell them what kind of coaching you would like. Then it takes a weird religious turn where he quotes the bible and some reverends/pastors, and touts the importance of faith. The content of this book is so light that it could have been an article of a few pages.
on February 7, 2012
I can't put Rory's book down! His discussion is so poignant and just the message that we all need to hear. I have found myself underlining almost everything in the book for future reference because I don't want to forget these ideas and want to apply them to my life.

If you only read one book this year - read this one!
on August 13, 2015
I've read quite a few business/success books, and this was above average. I first found this book after coming across the author's short video hypothesizing the following: "Success is never owned; it is only rented, and the rent is due every day."

I enjoyed this book. Its theme was predictable - "do the hard things others aren't willing to do" - but it had a handful of good soundbites I'll likely remember.

This would have been a solid 4 stars for me, but I found the numerous references to religion (including an entire chapter on faith) to be distracting and out of place in a book on professional success.
on February 7, 2012
I find myself reading and then re-reading particular passages in this book. A disciplined life? It really makes you think. Many people have slipped into accepting the easier path and instant gratification (the escalator, if you will). The path to success is gained through hard work and living a disciplined life (taking the stairs). This book provides the map for our trip to the top in our business lives and our personal lives. We all need this book!
on November 21, 2015
At certain points Vaden gives the reader a good motivational speech. Overall though it reads like a loose collection of blog posts. That makes it easy to pick up after not reading for a while, but it also makes it feel pretty light. He also brings up his affiliate marketing company Southwest a lot -- to the point where joining them almost sounds like the big takeaway from the book
on July 18, 2014
I became aware of this book and the author when I heard him being interviewed by another person whose blog I sometimes read. The interview left me thinking, "I need to get this book," so I did. But I was disappointed. There's nothing in this book that I haven't read at least a dozen times elsewhere. I like the author and think he would be a great guy to know personally, or even to work for, but I found the book to be only mediocre.