Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews (5 star)show all reviews
on February 26, 2000
Format: Audio CassetteVerified Purchase
This book/audio program by Cheryl Richardson is incredible. It focuses on "extreme self care" and letting go of things that you no longer need in your life. By allowing yourself to take care of yourself and by letting go of things you no longer need, you create a space for all the things you do need in your life. Cheryl teaches you how to let go and how to create the space for your dreams to happen. I am one who has had a very hard time letting go of things that are no longer nourishing my spirit. With Cheryl's help I have let go of the obvious...21 bags to the Salvation Army...and I am scouring my house for more things to pass on to others....and I am starting to let go of a relationship that hasn't worked for a very long time. So far, and this is true, my daughter has received a $3,000 scholarship for her trip to Europe for her junior year in high school .. and .. I have received a "muse" who is helping me to create and write a book. I recommend you buy these tapes and listen to them again and again...I learn something new each time. Cheryl has a beautiful audio voice and her intelligence and insightfulness shine brightly through. Buy these tapes and figure out what it is that is keeping you from doing and being everything that you want to be and do. And then get started on the life you are meant to have. Cheryl, if you happen to read this, I send you my love. My spirit, my heart and my soul will always be greateful to you for helping me begin my journey to becoming everything that I am supposed to be.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 1998
Format: Hardcover
Take Time for Your Life arrived as I was heading to the airport. I tucked it in my bag and read almost all of it on the plane, arriving with a calm, positive outlook that lasted all weekend! What's incredible about Cheryl Richardson's book is that it presents a simple, do-able plan to simplify and enrich your life, with specific "take action" steps. Somehow she makes you feel as if this is the book you'll really incorporate into your life, and the vision of what your life will become is compelling. Checking items in "What's draining you?" and making a "Top Ten Procrastination List" will instantly change your perspective on your everyday life and give you the nudge to rearrange your priorities. Using this book, you will give yourself permission to put "extreme self care" at the top of the list (in a positive kind of selfishness), and free up your energy for dealing with everyone and everything around you. Making an "Absolute Yes List" will help you to say no without feeling negative. Each chapter lists great resources. This is a well-balanced, comprehensive plan for changing your life, presented in a "Swiss cheese" way so that you can immediately start applying parts of it and realize the benefits from the beginning. A must for anyone from a stressed-out professional to a frazzled mom!
on July 26, 2000
Format: Paperback
Are you tired, stressed out, eating lots of junk food, overdrawn in your checking account, procrastinating, watching lots of tv, turning into a slug, and generally feeling FRAZZLED? If so, you should buy this book and take Cheryl Richardson's advice. If you do, I guarantee that in six weeks your life may not be perfect, but it will be much, much better.
I've tried lots of organization books, time management courses, and self-help books that just haven't worked, but Cheryl Richardson's book is different (much like Julie Morgenstern's Organizing from the Inside Out is different and works!) But where Morgenstern focuses on cleaning up the clutter and creating SPACE for a new life, Richardson tells you, in step-by-step fashion how to actually create "the life you want."
Richardson recommends reviewing the whole book before you start taking action, and I found it easy to do this in two evenings. Then, at a MUCH slower pace she tackles one area of your life at a time, giving you practical and thoughtful guidance on how to make changes that really matter. My favorite chapters were "Put yourself at the Top of the List," which advocates adopting an "extreme self care" approach by starting a journal, designating a few hours a week for a date with yourself, and making sure that you're taking time for your physical and emotional health. For those of you who feel overwhelmed with that list, Richardson advises taking on no more than one of these tasks a day (and even less than that if you need to). "What's draining you" helps you to figure out the 1001 niggling details of the day that suck the energy from you--even if you're not doing them! Her mantra of "do it, hire it, chuck it" is finally getting me through the 247 unopened email messages sitting in my inbox! I'm still working through the financial chapter (my biggest nightmare), but progress is being made.
Sure, we all know that we should exercise, get enough rest, and balance our checkbooks--but how many of us actually do? Richardson's book is the anecdote for the hysterical pace of life in 2000. If you imagine your life differently, I'd try this book out and see if you can't turn that dream into a reality.
on August 22, 2000
Format: Paperback
Very helpful. This is on my list of favorite feel-good books, second to "Encounter with a Prophet"
on October 25, 1999
Format: Hardcover
The program outlined in Take Time for Your Life is realistic and sensible. Step by step the author guides the reader through the process of taking care of your whole self - by covering topics such as relationships, environment, body, mind, and spirit, work, and money. Her practical advice and guidance on how to eliminate energy drains and replace them with the things that fuel you is invaluable! It was tough putting this book down - each chapter overflowed with take-action ideas on how to overcome obstacles; thereby helping the reader find a way to live a life you love! This book is wonderful!
on December 22, 2000
Format: Paperback
This is a great book. The author, Cheryl Richardson, acting as a coach, gives suggestions to look at our life in a way that can allow us to discover the places where we may have gotten lost, and to reassess our priorities in order to live a life that is meaningful and satisfying. She demonstrates very clearly and with concrete examples drawn from her own clients, how we can easily get lost under the demands that life makes on us, and forget what is most important to us. This book is all about regaining control of your life by taking a good look at what you do, and discovering the places where you sell out on yourself and get lost. I like the simplicity of the practical suggestions: for instance the chapter where she invites the readers to map out a detailed schedule of their weekly activities (including the time spent worrying and feeling overwhelmed!) is a great tool to reveal where you invest most of your time and energy; and the results can come as a surprise!
In the same style I find the book Working on Yourself Doesn't Work by Ariel and Shya Kane to be a wonderful introduction to looking at your life in an anthropological way without trying to fix yourself but rather with the intention of discovering who you are and becoming the creator of your own life. This book has been very empowering for me in its simplicity, and has shown me how transformation can happen out of very simple re-adjustments made to my life rather than huge makeovers. The message in both books is simple: "all you need to do is take an honest look at what you do, bring awareness to it, and let go of the behaviors that are not working for you, without judging them". From that place of simple awareness, transformation and incredibly shifts can happen in your life. I strongly recommend both books to anybody interested in bringing transformation into their lives without trying to fix themselves or change who they are, but rather by allowing themselves to be who they are, and to discover the full measure of their true self.
on December 7, 2000
Format: Paperback
In my experience, one of the biggest obstacles to changing your life is being overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task. If absolutely everything in your life -- your job, your extracurricular commitments, your finances, your health, your domestic situation -- seems out of whack, it's easy to conclude that your problems are too enormous to be solved, and do nothing. This book is a wonderful antidote to despair. The author shows you how to identify the specific parts of your life that are draining your energy and preventing you from achieving your dreams, and she details simple, practical steps you can take to overcome these obstacles. I feel that her priorities are right on: many people (especially women) are prone to let the demands of others rule their lives, so learning to take care of yourself is a crucial first step towards making further changes. I also appreciate her insistence that YOU are the person best qualified to set your own priorities and decide what you can live without. Too many self-help programs start with the premise that you're doing something "wrong" and need to follow someone else's recommendations to overcome it -- but, for many of us, that's how we let our lives get off balance in the first place! Finally, the author's lively style and upbeat tone support her message that this isn't rocket science: you have the ability to put your life back on the right track, and it doesn't require extraordinary intelligence or strength, just making small, specific changes in the way you live each day. I found the book useful as well as fun to read, and I'm looking forward to reading her next book.
Format: Hardcover
Cheryl's first book, _TAKE TIME FOR YOUR LIFE_, is an amazing resource for coaches in four ways:
1. As a personal guide through the toughest problems we face as individuals;
2. As a workbook for clients who are wrestling with a specific problem area;
3. As required reading to learn advanced coaching skills, tools and principles;
4. As a topic for a talk, seminar or workshop, using any chapter as a stand-a-lone presentation. (She said you can do this, so long as you give credit to the book)
Coaches around the world will appreciate this intelligent, practical approach to life's challenges for themselves and for their clients.
While Cheryl is a premier coach and leader in the American coaching community, she has also presented talks and workshops to business people and coaches in Europe. The message and information in _TAKE TIME FOR YOUR LIFE_ is truly cross-cultural.
What distinguishes Cheryl's book is that while it has a ton of checklists, to-do's, annotated resources (which alone are worth the price of the book), if you took all that away, what remains is a wise woman who teaches you to trust, honor and fall back in love with yourself. She does this by connecting you to your Wise Self, by invoking your entitlement to a high quality life, and by modeling unshakable confidence in getting what you want by taking the high road.
In her book, Cheryl shows you and your clients how to overcome the seven common obstacles that prevent most people from living the lives they want.
Filled with inspiring stories of men and women who followed her steps, each chapter offers the necessary strategies to turn these stumbling blocks into steppingstones.
Here is her Quality of Life Checklist, with a chapter reference for each question: (Check this out for a thoughtful, clear, practical guide to answers for specific client problems.)
1. Am I taking extremely good care of myself? Do I take time out of my schedule every week just for me? (Chapter 1)
2. Have I updated my Absolute Yes list in the last three to six months, and does my schedule reflect these priorities? (Chapter 2)
3. Am I tolerating any person, place, or thing that is draining my energy? (Chapter 3)
4. Am I living within my means, saving consistently, and investing wisely? (Chapter 4)
5. Am I fueling my body, mind, and spirit with premium sources of fuel? (Chapter 5)
6. Am I strengthening my soulful connections with the important relationships in my life? (Chapter 6)
7. Am I consistent with my spiritual practice, listening to and acting on the wisdom of my Wise Self and a Divine power? (Chapter 7)
With insight and empathy, Cheryl guides us to get what we really have always wanted: peace and freedom. Get copies for everyone you care about.
on September 18, 2000
Format: Audio Cassette
I heard about Cherly Richardson when she was first introduced on the Oprah show back in May (Oprah's new segment on Lifestyle Makeovers.) I cried. They were literally describing my life. I didn't have a life for me. I was living for everyone else in life: friends, family, co-workers, volunteer activities - you name it, I did it. I purchased both the book and the tapes. I highly recommend both. I go back and listen to the tapes over and over again. I have highlighted the book and used it as a resource guide. I'm learning to take care of me first. How did I ever allow giving of myself to take over my life? Today I have permission to say no with grace and love. I check everything against my absolute yes list to make sure I'm doing things to honor myself. In my journal I've written a list of qualities that I'm looking for in a mentor. I want to welcome a mentoring relationship into my life. My husband and I held a charity garage sale - cleaned out our house and donated the money from our garage sale to a local charity. Together we are knocking out those energy draining people, places, and things from our lives. I've been so impressed with my life make-over changes that I've purchased extra copies to give to my closest friends. And lately, two friends and I have started a coaching group at work using Cheryl's book as our guide. What other praises can I sing.... Cheryl, Oprah, I sincerely and deeply thank you.
Format: Hardcover
I'm not sure what I can add to all the other reviews that rightly extol the virtues of this wonderful book. Maybe I can simply testify that after reading "Take Time," I changed my copywriting business to include print ads, TV spots and small promotional pieces only. No more unwieldy, time consuming brochures, annual reports, and other such cumbersome stuff. The result? Surprisingly, same income, less hassle, and MORE FREE TIME! Thanks Cheryl. Stressed out souls everywhere should make time for your book.