1,948 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge for Taken 1
I very much enjoyed this movie. Maybe Taken 1 was a little better but Taken 2 was still great! (And, I will buy the DVD when it comes out.) There is just something real special about watching Liam Neeson go after these brutal, murdering creeps.

Published on October 9, 2012 by Kathy W

3.0 out of 5 stars A great story but horrible directing
Published on October 6, 2012 by Brian Reaves

3.0 out of 5 stars A great story but horrible directing, October 6, 2012
This review is from: Taken 2 (DVD)
"Taken" was, to me, the movie that threw Liam Neeson into the "action star" category. I know he was a Jedi knight at one point, but that was the movie that made it real. The story was compelling, the action amazing, and the entire thing was a thrill ride. While the story this time out is very unique (the relatives of some of the men he killed in the first film are out for revenge) and I loved where it came from, the execution of the whole thing faltered horribly.

While "Taken 2" will not let you lose faith in Liam Neeson's ability to kill a man creatively with his bare hands, the director this time out seems to take it as a personal challenge to change camera angles as many times as humanly possible during any action sequence. As a result, any time Liam is talking to someone, it's all calm and steady. The instant he moves toward a person to attack, the director takes the movie into an angle frenzy that lets you know there's a lot of action going on, but you'll never know what it is. It looks as if they didn't want to bother choreographing the fight scenes, so instead they just had Liam jerk around a bit and threw the camera into all sort of close-ups of elbows, shirts, fists, and such with sound effects. During a car chase scene, I counted 65 different camera angle changes in one minute, some lasting just a half a second close-up of a steering wheel, foot on the gas, etc. It's deplorable. At one point, Liam puts his hand on a guy's face and the guy dies, making it appear Liam killed him by sheer willpower. I am all for another one in this franchise (and they easily pave the way for a sequel at the end), but get a better director the next time out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revenge for Taken 1, October 9, 2012
Kathy W (Baltimore, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taken 2 (DVD)

This time the film begins in Albania, where the bodies are being unloaded from the airplane -- the bodies of the bad guys that Neeson killed in Taken 1. As they are being buried, the grieving family surrounding the dead, the head guy and father of one or more of them, vows revenge against Neeson. (I mean, forget the fact that THEY started the whole thing by stealing his daughter.)

The scene shifts to Los Angeles, California, where Neeson's former wife is in the midst of a divorce from her second husband and the daughter is dating. Neeson is leaving for a couple of days of work in Instanbul and invites them to join him when the job is finished. As you probably guessed, all the excitement begins on foreign soil, as the bad guys go after Neeson and his family.

It is a great movie, with lots of action. Yes, some things seem a bit of a stretch, but then (like I always say) the movie you really want to see is the one where a super hero beats all the odds and does incredible things.

Will these bad guys EVER LEARN?

4.0 out of 5 stars For the Action Man and Family Man, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Taken 2 (DVD)
The original Taken was an incredible movie, and Taken 2 has got some incredible moments. The main difference is that Bryan Mill's (Liam Neeson) family plays a much larger role in the sequel. While the first movie is about a lone wolf taking out bad guys like gnats on a summer day to get his daughter back, this one involves the family unit, so the experience, while using incredible action scenes, is a bit different.

There is also a little more down time in this film, as cheesy tender moments are used to work the audience up before mother and father are abducted by a psychotic terrorist hellbent on getting revenge as a result of Bryan killing his son.

This film provides tons of kills, explosions and everything else that makes a movie good, and it has some real cheese in it, leading up to the action you're wanting. I say go see this film. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one because I'd rather see Bryan go it alone, but this is still a great action film. I liked it enough to want there to be a third installment.

As for the cheese in the film, the script is pretty bad, especially the dialogue between father and daughter, father and ex-wife before the movie gets rolling, but Liam Neeson is a great actor, so he saves it from veering off to Dolph Lundgren or Steven Segal territory (Hey, I'm not saying their movies are bad, just saying the dialogue is).

Anyway, if you love action and like family films, this is the one for you, brother.

1.0 out of 5 stars Painfully awful movie..., January 6, 2013
Loved Taken 1, so I gambled on this. Unfortunately, this was basically a rehash of the original. Taken 2 probably should have gone straight to video as one of those Walmart $9.99 blu ray specials. I guess if nobody watched part 1, then they'd be reasonably entertained by Liam's tough guy character. Best part was watching the car chase scenes where the idiot daughter (who didn't even have a license yet) was outrunning the equally idiotic goons. After the 4th dub of Liam saying "faster faster", I promised myself to never, ever, ever, ever, ever take a gamble on a sequel...

In summary, I didn't like this movie. Your experience may differ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Recently watched movie review: Taken 2 (2012), November 23, 2012
Recently watched movie review:
*Taken 2 (2012)- 1/5

Taken 2 is a sequel to the 2008 film (Taken) which is newly directed by Oliver Megaton. It stars Liam Neeson, Maggie Grace, Famke Janssen, and Rade Sherbedgia. I love the first movie, so does Taken 2 live up to my expectations? Ha, it's not even in the same league, and it's the worst movie I've seen so far this year.

Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson) killed a lot of men while searching for his daughter, Kim (Maggie Grace), who was taken in Paris by a human trafficking ring. Family members of the men, whom he killed in the first film, are mourning those who died. Murad (Rade Sherbedgia) who's the employer of the men and father of Marko, a victim whom Bryan killed, swears revenge, and states that they will find Bryan to avenge the deaths of their loved ones. Murad and is men capture Bryan and his ex wife, Lenore (Famke Janssen), while Kim lucks out and helps her parents escape death.

Taken 2 falls flat in every single way possible compared to the awesomeness of the first Taken movie. Let me start off by saying the only good thing about the film... (crickets), (crickets), (crickets)... That's right, there's nothing good to say about it.

There are so many 'I just rolled my eyes' moments in the film, and there's very little that's believable; While Bryan is involved in a gun standoff with Mured's men, the kind men let him whip out his phone to warn Kim that he and Lenore are being taken (I just rolled my eyes). Kim can't pass 2 driving tests, but she can throw grenades, do geometry, jump from rooftop to rooftop, and can drive like a stunt driver in a chase scene (I just rolled my eyes). Murad, who knows Bryan can kill just about anyone, gives Lenore a baby gash, hangs her upside down, tells Bryan, who's tied to a pole, that she's got 30 minutes until she dies, leaves the room with them unattended, and expects everything to go as plan (I just rolled my eyes). When Bryan obviously breaks free and saves Lenore, he later fights some of Murad's men, but somehow he's got special powers this time around; Bryan can simply put his hands on someone's face, and that person will instantly die (I just rolled myeyes).

The first Taken was far more energetic, there was more dialog, the villain isn't old and pathetic, and events were much more believable. Taken 2 is soulless compared to the first, and should be avoided at all costs as this is a simple cash grab. If you're a fan of the first (like me) and wanted a sequel, use your imagination instead, and continue to just watch the first Taken. If you couldn't tell by now, Taken 2 gets a recommended 'must-pass.'

1.0 out of 5 stars Sequelitis?, January 20, 2013
I enjoyed the first Taken movie so I was excited to see Taken 2. Unfortunately it's not even close to being as good as the first film. Taken 2 suffers from sequelitis! They felt they needed to make a second film because of the success of the first and it shows. It feels like the entire film was rushed from conception to production right away. The story is just a terrible copy from the first but with zero depth. The whole idea that a criminal organization would want to get justice for the families of the people you killed just seems stupid to put it mildly. Since when did people who kidnap young women and sell them to the highest bidder for prostitution have morals? Do their families think they were killed selling Bibles or something? That's how stupid the entire premise of Taken 2 is. The leader wanting revenge for Liam Neeson killing all the people from the first film is just absurd.

I personally can't even recommend renting Taken 2 because it's not even worth that much. Save your money and buy something that's actually worth watching!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic, February 3, 2013
This review is from: Taken 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
The movie was full of serious mistakes.
First of all, you can't just throw grenades in the middle of the city and continue running as if nothing happened.
Another big mistake was the bad guys went to the Asian side of the city on a boat, but somehow Liam Neson could make his way there by walking!
I am from Istanbul and the director seeed like he had a "hard-on" against this city. The police cars were from 1981!!! God!!! All places shown in the movie were ugly and slums-looking! I wonder if he really has been to Istanbul.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been MUCH better!, January 24, 2013
Granny (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taken 2 (DVD)
I really wanted to love this movie. The first Taken was super, and I've been wanting more in the same vein from Liam Neeson since then. I was happy when Taken 2 finally came out on DVD and ordered it right away, even after reading the negative reviews. So, it just arrived and I've watched it for the first time.

I'm disappointed and angry at the director. I think he had a poor concept of what the end result of his decisions would look like. The super-fast camera angle changes during fights in particular were a big mistake. In fact, I can't think of anything he did right.

The acting is great, of course. The whole cast is superb. Actually, everything about this movie is first-rate, except for the directing, and if I were rating based on that alone, I would have to give it a 1 since that's the lowest Amazon rating.

I don't regret buying it, but I wish I'd waited until the price went down some. I got it at $14.95, and the price will drop, probably pretty quickly, when the distributors realize they'll have to drop their price in order to sell all their stock.

So, buyer beware. This movie is not nearly as good as the first one. It's worth owning if you really enjoy watching Liam Neeson take out bad guys and be a hero. But read the reviews that detail all the bad points about the directing and believe them. If you still want to own it, as I did, and if like me, you haven't seen it yet, then at least you'll not be unaware when you watch it for the first time. My recommendation, though, is to rent it first, and decide for yourself how much you like it. I didn't rent it first because I'm that much of a Liam Neeson fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Take it back, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Taken 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
All the timing and coolness and great catch phrases of the original are missing. There is 0 believability with this one.
So they just recovered from a daughter being kidnapped and sold as a sex slave - now what are we going to do???? "Why don't you join me on a vacation to Istanbul? What could go wrong?"
The only thing taken was me for $4.99.
There are some movies you are better off waiting unfilled they come out on video. Then there are others you are better off skipping all together. This is the latter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, unrealistic, predictable, lousy round 2., January 17, 2013
So glad I did not buy this. I was very disappointed in this entire movie. The first one was good, this was just a poor attempt to cash in. The plot is so thin and ridicules, it just made me laugh. You basically could predict the entire movie. The chase scenes were stupid, and laughable. This one gets an F from me, I pulled out my laptop and started surfing some, I was board. I really hope a # 3 is not made. Pick another movie.

Taken 2
Taken 2 by Olivier Megaton (DVD - 2013)
$14.98 $9.99