4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of action and romance packed into a quick read
Published on January 19, 2011 by Karen

3.0 out of 5 stars Taken to the Limit by Nico Rosso
Dr. Korina Atonakis likes to plan. Being an E.R. doctor, she has gone through every scenario possible so she is always ready for what comes through the door. But something is about to enter her E.R. that is going to throw her off balance.

Published on February 1, 2011 by A. Schreiner

3.0 out of 5 stars Taken to the Limit by Nico Rosso, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Taken to the Limit (The Limit War) (Kindle Edition)

Morrow is a Nightfighter, an alien, who uses a portal to enter the hospital in hopes a doctor can save his friend and fellow soldier who is gravely injured. Throwing up a shield so only Korina can see them, she is stunned at seeing two massive warriors just appear in her office. Her healing instinct takes over before she can start to analyze what just happened. Before she can properly take of the injury, evil Dusk Warriors pour in from a portal, in pursuit of Morrow. An intense battle is fought, and although Morrow and Korina make it out alive, Korina has seen too much to go back to her life.

Now on the run with Morrow, she learns of the infiltration of her planet, and what they must to do to keep it safe. She also finds love with this alien man, something that shocks them both.

For being a 70 page book, Taken to the Limit does a really nice job with building the world and fighting a war. Earth is just our normal Earth, now infiltrated with alien creatures. Earth is considered an "Innocent Planet" and is not advanced enough for the normal person to discover these aliens. These aliens plant their seeds in the dark and it turns out to be a really cool aspect of the book. Morrow is a Nightfighter, trained to fight alone and ready to save this planet. But as he fights with Korina and learns more about her, he suddenly discovers the word "us" and he starts to like it.

While I think the development of the war and action flows quite smoothly, I felt the romance is a bit rushed. The declaration of love seems to come quite abruptly. Korina is faced with this man who literally comes out of nowhere and although his physical attributes are quite similar to humans, he is still an alien. And I think it takes quite a leap of faith to dive into a relationship with well, an alien. Now, Morrow doesn't give her a lot of choice - unable to go home to her regular life. I like the two of them together, but I would have liked to see their relationship unfold at a slower pace.

Taken to the Limit gives us both a unique alien world, with some great fighting, and also some very hot love scenes. I like Nico Rosso's voice and this definitely gives us a little something different in the romance genre. I will be looking for more from him.

Rating: C+

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of action and romance packed into a quick read, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Taken to the Limit (The Limit War) (Kindle Edition)
I read this novella in a few hours on Christmas day. Taken to the Limit is the first in a new series called The Limit War and to say that author Nico Rosso packed a lot of story into a small space is an understatement. He set up the foundation for a space war, the pairing of soul mates, Dr. Korina Antonakis and Alien soldier Sgt. Morrow, zero gravity sex and the future of the series in just under 70 pages.
Taken to the Limit has a few things that typically annoy me, insta-love and time outs for sex when the world may be ending but for some reason it didn't bother me too much here. Yes, I wish there was more character development and a slower build up to their relationship but I am judging this as a novella and for me it worked. As I've said there is a lot of information packed into a small amount of time and Rosso keeps the action going and the tension high.
The only thing I wished there was more of was information about the war itself. I was very interested in the aliens and the technology. There was a nice set up and explanation for The Limit War and introductions to what I assume are characters we will be seeing more of in the future but this was more of a romance/erotica focused story.
Another thing that I liked is that Rosso kept the space jargon just techie enough that I believed it without it sounding too foreign or so simplistic that it sounded like a current term with a word added to it to make it seem futuristic....like tacking on the word laser or tech and voila! we have new space terminology. I have actually read in another recent sci-fi book the term text disc to describe what they use to study from instead of the word books.....it's called a CD/DVD - we have them now. Call me crazy but I want my futuristic sci-fi to actually be futuristic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sci-fi romance, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Taken to the Limit (The Limit War) (Kindle Edition)
Reviewed as part of the One Hundred Romances project.

Korina Antonakis thrives on the fast paced life of an E.R. doctor, but even that isn't fully satisfying. She wants more, but she doesn't know what until Sergeant Morrow, an elite Nightfighter in the Limit War, appears out of nowhere carrying an almost-dead comrade. Even in the midst of the fierce battle which breaks out between the two Nightfighters and the invading Dusk Warriors, Korina can't resist the magnetism of those brilliant blue eyes. While Korina struggles to stay alive and make sense of her shaken world, Sergeant Morrow is shaken in return by the bravery and beauty of this native Earthling. As they escape out into the hostile battleground that most on Earth cannot see, the passion between them becomes more inevitable, if only they can survive to enjoy it. And trust me, when they get the chance, they enjoy it mightily.

Whether you are a stalwart science fiction addict or a rabid romance fanatic, you will not be able to put down your eBook reader. At sixty-eight pages, this is a quick read, but don't even think of starting it when you don't have time to finish it. You'll let the dinner burn, the kids rot in front of the TV, the boss send angry messages, but you'll have to keep reading.

My only quibble with TAKEN TO THE LIMIT is that I wish the author had kept the erotica toned down a little more so I could recommend the book to science fiction readers who might be squeamish about the sexual antics, both on Earth and in space. On the other hand, I think you'll hear few complaints from the legions of fans who like their romance smoking hot. In that regard, I have to put in a word of praise for the cover artist, April Martinez. Yowza!

If you like your women smart and sexy, and your men both protective and heroic, you should buy the book. Yes, right now. That's what eBooks are for, after all. Best of all, it appears there will be more books set in The Limit War universe. I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting them.

ARRAY(0xa9820174)