on September 28, 2010
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Jenna Darrow wakes up in a medical room at the Breed compound, however the only thing normal to her is the face of her best friend, Alex. Jenna has faced many things that have made it necessary for her to be strong; the loss of her husband and child, the loss of her career as an Alaskan State Trooper and the memory of the creature who broke into her house and assaulted her. Now she has to face something that just might break her. Her entire body is changing because of something that ancient being did to her that hellish night.

Brock is one of the vampire warriors who are known as the Breed. Each warrior has one special gift and Brock's is to take away pain. He has been with Jenna since the night they located the ancient in her house and destroyed him. No one is quite sure what happened to Jenna, but Brock knows the pain she has gone through intimately as he has been taking it from her. Now she is awake and they have discovered that something strange is happening to her DNA. The time Brock has spent with Jenna gave him a closer relationship then he has allowed with any woman in many years.

Jenna sees major changes in her physical body as the hours go by and while scared, she comes to see that trusting the warriors is her only chance to discover exactly what was done to her. Brock and Jenna both feel the intensity of the passion that seems to hover around them and it only takes one spark to become much more than feelings. The danger that always surrounds the Breeds, and their Breedmates, soon includes Jenna, a fact that scares Brock to some point. Knowing she has to help Brock and the others, Jenna puts her own investigation talents to work. This leads to completing a mission the Breedmates have been working towards for months but at the same time, it might just rip Brock away from Jenna for the rest of eternity.

When your past suddenly becomes an option for the future, which loses the love--past or current? Brock and Jenna both find this answer in Taken By Midnight. I was so happy to see that Jenna seemed to come out of that horrible night okay until I continued to read and saw the truth. I always thought that Brock was one of the quiet warriors but he had me hands down as I watched him not only lend his strength to Jenna when she needed it, but also helped her be able to find the ability to believe in her own strength. There were several times that I was cheering for both Jenna and Brock and other times when I wanted to shake them. For me that just meant it was an excellent book. I loved that Jenna was the most unusual heroine in this series. While she is not a true Breedmate, I found her to be something much more and the relationship between her and Brock to be stronger for it.

Taken By Midnight captivates and holds you hostage through its strong emotions and stronger passions. I couldn't put it down and I bet you won't be able to either. To say its Joyfully Recommended isn't quite enough, but it's the highest recommendation I can give Jenna and Brock's story.

Jo
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Jenna Darrow has just survived an attack against an ancient evil not born of this world and she will never be as she was before. What happen during the attack is rapidly changing her body and mind. Jenna is struggling to take control of herself and her new situation at the compound of the Order. The male assigned to take care of her helps take away her pain and feel emotions she hasn't felt in years. Brock and Jenna both hold emotional scars but when their purely physical relationship turns into something more, they become what the other needs and together they make a formidable team in the fight against an enemy that must be stopped.

Jenna lost her family in a car accident years ago and has lived with the grief since. She is attacked in the last book and her determination to survive pulled her though it. I admired her character a lot for her intelligence, stubbornness and ability to keep picking herself up and moving forward no matter what cards she is dealt. Like most she has her moments of self doubt but nothing that made me dislike her character. Brock is one of the newer members of the Order, which is an elite group of ancient vampire warriors. He is a skilled fighter with a likable personality and selfless in his act of taking pain from others onto himself. He also carries baggage from his past that helps him relate to Jenna. These two click right away and you know a physical relationship between them just won't do. They make each other stronger and help each other move on from their past tragedies.

The ancient who let Jenna live didn't part without leaving a part of him in her. Unexplained changes are happening to Jenna that give her abilities no mortal should have. I thought this was an interesting twist and glad that she wasn't just another breedmate, women born with a special birthmark that makes them the only ones who can mate with breed males. I did wish that more time would have been spent on examining her new skills. I felt they were talked about then written off too quickly. I hope that more light is shined on this in future books because the whole thing really had my curiosity going.

The Order has been after Dragos for some time. He is responsible for horrific crimes against his own people that includes hiding the last ancient and kidnapping breedmates to create his own army of assassins. Though the main focus is Jenna and Brock's relationship, there is some new light shed on the situation. Dragos will not stop or run and hide from the Order just because they have managed to ruin his plans. He has yet unseen plans in the works that will prove to make him harder to find and stop for the Order. Some questions are answered and even more are left hanging. I've come to expect that from this series. I enjoyed the ending but did feel it was tidied up a bit too nicely.

Taken By Midnight is the latest in Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series which is one of my favorites. This book did feel like it was a stepping stone to something bigger plot wise but it should not be skipped. Jenna and Brock's relationship alone is worth the read and there was a twist or two that I found interesting. The Midnight Breed series is a great balance of suspense, danger, unbreakable bonds and steamy love scenes. Taken By Midnight is all this while adding it's own spin to a series that is a must read for fans of paranormal romance.
on October 1, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I love this series and like everyone else who has read it, was anxiously awaiting this latest book. One of the things I like best about this series is the strong female characters. And of course the hot dudes of the Breed. I have to say that I thought Taken by Midnight suffered from "re-cap-itis". In other words I felt like the author was so busy inserting the story lines thus far, that it limited her ability to contour a fresh story. I think it is a safe guess that most publishers want a reader to be able to pick up any book in a series, and get something out of it. But if you are like me, you start at the first book in the series, and yes, we tolerate the required catchup for the most part. But jeez...I felt like this whole book was a run down on stuff that already happened.
Also, I thought some of the dialogue between all the characters was really formulaic. Plus, I kept waiting for the reveal on what the heck Jenna had become. Did I miss it? Anyway, I of course want to read the next in the series, but I gotta say, so far this is my least favorite book of the series.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
How I have loved to watch this series grow! Lara Adrian is on my top 3 Favorite Authors list and she hasn't disappointed me yet! The Midnight Breed Series just keeps getting better and better, With Jenna and Brocks story she set us up for a lot more to come, their relationship was very sweet developing and the fact that we got to see the whole Breed family throughout the whole book was a plus. I love to know what's going on with other characters we have read about in the past. A lot of authors tend to lose sight of past characters we have read about and loved and make us wonder what ever happened to them and what are they doin now? or they just give them the tiniest blurb to let us know they are still kickin'. Lara was very good at including everyone in this addition to the series. Great book don't miss it! I'm just sad now that I finished so fast and have to wait so long now for Hunter's story!
Publisher: Dell
Purchased: Bought on Amazon and from Virtual Signing

What I Loved: I loved how this book was a huge catalyst in pushing forward the story of the fight between Dragos and The Order. Most of all though, I love the story of Brock and Jenna. This is probably going down as my second favorite love story in the series. Both of them had so much they needed to heal from past relationships and so much they had to handle in the present, that theirs was such a classic love story. Could love conquer all? She was not a breedmate only human, neither were interested in love, and most of all were the ramifications they were having to deal with based on what happened to Jenna at the end of the last book. I won't give anything away but their journey to each other was just a wonderful read!

What I Liked: We got to reconnect with all the Breed and their Breedmates. The book personified why I am a series reader, I love seeing what characters I care about are doing now. This book also opened up a huge realm of possibilities on where the series can go from here: from what is happening to Jenna (the ramifications of the attack from the last book) to what happened at the end (which I won't give away). I am excited to see what happens next.

Complaints: I wasn't a big fan of the abrupt end but I kind of see where there was no other choice. I will be waiting for the next book!

Why I gave it a 4: I realize this book is one that mostly just pushes the story forward but to me it is one of the best love stories of the series. Brock and Jenna are the reason this book is so good. Their story is well worth the read as well as the leaps forward the overall story takes.

Who I would recommend it too: PNR readers. However, I will say this. If you haven't read the rest of the series, you can read this one but you won't get the richness of the bonds all the characters feel towards each other. Lara does an excellent job of giving you the background story without hitting you over the head with it but you would be missing an excellent progression of story if you just skipped ahead to this book. Read the series, it is well worth the time!

Author Website: [...]
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2010
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Jenna Darrow, former state trooper, survives an attack by the "ancient", a supernatural being who implants something in her system which begins to give her special abilities. Brock, a vampire warrior who helps save her from the "ancient", becomes her love interest in this 7th of the "Midnight" series. Unfortunately, Ms. Adrian seems to have written this quickly, as a plot bridge between books without the attention to individual personalities or relationships that has been her strength up until now. The relationship between Jenna and Brock isn't very interesting, as the characters are given little depth or uniqueness. Nor does there seem to be any reason for the attraction between them. Looks? Personality? Not much description of either is given. Nor is there much development of the relationship. They do, of course sleep together, but beyond the by rote description of their activities, not much seems to be going on emotionally. Jenna is rather snivelly for a state trooper, and Brock is strangely bland for a vampire warrior. Maybe that's what they have in common? Hopefully, in the next book Adrian will once more hit her stride.
on October 22, 2010
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Brock is a member of the Breed Order, a group of alien vampires that have taken on the duty of protecting humans from rogue Breeds (those that have given into bloodlust and feed off humans). Centuries ago a girl he was supposed to be protecting disappeared and turned up dead, and he's never forgiven himself. Now he's in charge of protecting Jenna, a human who was attacked by one of the ancient Breeds who first landed on earth. She was implanted with something that is slowly fusing itself to her body and no one seems to know what that may mean. Brock finds himself drawn to her, but refuses to make himself vulnerable to the possibility of being hurt again by losing someone he cares about, which means ignoring the growing attraction between them. However, it doesn't turn out to be that easy.

I like this series, but each book is beginning to feel like a bit of the same ole' same ole'. The angst ridden hero falls for a tough, but vulnerable heroine, and he tries to fight his feelings but doesn't succeed. The only thing different in this book is that the heroine isn't a Breedmate. Also, she was attacked by an ancient of the Breed and had something implanted in her that seems to be taking over her body, but as important as that seems nothing really happens with that. She gets some extra strength and abilities from it, but in the end it's sort of like, oh whatever, somethings growing in me but I won't worry about it. I thought we were going to learn something interesting about the ancient and what was going on with the implant, but was really left hanging.

The villain is the series plays a minor role and that story line really isn't moving forward even though this is book 8 in the series. Dragos is creating a army of super Breed warriors and apparently has a big plan to strike at the Order, but nothing ever left me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen. Hopefully the author steps it up in the next book and gives readers a little something different in the romance story line, and ramps up the conflict between the Order and Dragos.
on September 29, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I cannot begin to say how much I enjoyed this 8th book by Lara Adrian. Most writters start to get boring and I lose interest quickly because it is always the same scenario. Not Ms. Adrian! She gives us what we want and more. We get an incredible love story that was exciting because of the changes the heroine was facing and we get this action packed story that readers have been tracking since the beginning of the series.

The author also gives us glimpses into the other Breeds and Breedmates lives which is something that fans want. Fans invest so much into the characters that we want to know what they are doing, for example,Dante and Tess' baby arrival. The Order is definitely changing.

The Dragos and kidnapped Breedmate story continues and will have you on the edge of your seat. Jenna's implant from the last book also continues and the love story with Brock. Jenna is smart and courageous. She will put Brock to the test.

I am so excited about her next book. I cannot wait.
on October 19, 2010
Format: Mass Market Paperback
First of all, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I DO NOT read the Midnight Breed series for its romance stories. If that were the case I would have given up on this series long ago. I read it strictly for the plot and if the romance part grabs me too, than that's a bonus.

Ms. Adrian has been hit-and-miss throughout the series, trying things out, not quite sure where she wanted her plot to go. After she finally settled on Dragos after that failure to grab her audience with Lucan's brother as the villian, she seems to be settling in.

Now I thought 'Shades of Midnight' was okay and led to interesting dilemmas. Not as good as 'Ashes of Midnight' but alright. However, I think she dropped the ball when it comes to 'Taken by Midnight'. By the end of 'Shades', it was seen that the Ancient had done something to Akex's friend Jenna that would change her forever. It was quite obvious to me what she was going to turn into, so I couldn't wait till the next book in order to find out how she, her love interest Brock, and the rest of the order would deal with it.

The story started going well the first five or six chapters or so, but after a very defined point, the story began to move sluggishly to a standstill and I can only say that it all went downhill from there.

There is really no chemistry between Brock and Jenna, its really more of an intense affection coupled with pointless sex scenes. Their talks are almost a waste of space. Brock has little character when brought out into the limelight, and when compared to characters like Tegan, Andreas, Rio, Dante, and Chase, he is so bland, he's almost window dressing.

Jenna is an alright character, but kind of seems like a carbon-copy of many of the other Breedmate girls in terms of personality, however her story had much more promise. After having a parasite attached to her brainstem, the Ancient's "gift" to Jenna pretty much takes over her spinal cord and nervous system and begins to change her DNA. Now I will forgive the fact that even though her very DNA was being twisted around, she is walking around and acting normal even though something like that would be an excrutiantingly painful process. You can do that in the fiction world I guess. However, what I cannot forgive, was the pace at which Adrian tries to stretch the process out!

Instead of trying to add in another scene of Brock showering, put in Jenna gaining somemore dermaglyphs, instead of Jenna making a fool of herself in front of the order, have her gain some superhuman speed and fangs. It is obvious, and has been obvious since the previous book, that Jenna was going to somehow become the first Breed female. Just tell us and be done with it! Adrian, you don't need to slow the pace of her transformation to a crawl in order to try to keep us in some sort of suspense. Trust me, we won't be surprised when she's finally done, we'll be relieved.

However, if you count out the blase relationship of Jenna and boring Brock, the actual plot scenes were quite interesting. Dragos is getting even further in his plans, we are introduced to four new characters in which I have a feeling will soon become new members to the Order team. Mistakes are made, people are killed, and I actually can't wait to see how Dragos will retaliate against the Order for their latest victory against him. The Order has been having a few too many victories lately, I think it is time for them to face some tragedy to remind them of what they have to lose. I feel that as they're down there in their little bunker, they are so out of touch with the world, they think they're safe, and they're wrong. Evil can touch anything and anywhere, and sometimes I get the drift that the Order are a little to arrogant in their thinking.

This was just another miss in Adrian's tally, but with 4 1/2 hits and 3 1/2 misses, she's still worth reading.
on January 3, 2011
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I do like this series and I think all the books have been pretty good. This book was my least favorite though. I liked Jenna & Brock, but the story was a little slow for me. The first half of the book went pretty quick, but the 2nd half seemed to drag. I did like how the women of the Order were in the forefront of the story, but I missed reading about the warriors. :)

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations