5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Man!
After 7 years of trying and over $35,000.00 out of pocket expenses to fertility doctors, my wife and I pretty much resigned to the fact we couldn't make our own genetic children. We then started the adoption from China process. We paid all that money and are still waiting for our adoption referral date.

While we were waiting for the adoption to go through, I...
Published on March 9, 2009 by The Tank

3.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, but older women beware
Published 9 months ago by S. Dickerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a Man!, March 9, 2009
This review is from: Taking Charge of Your Fertility, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health (Paperback)

While we were waiting for the adoption to go through, I came across this book on Amazon. I figured, what the hell, it's worth a try. I bought the book and read it in three days! I found a couple of excel charts online, and then altered them for our use. I highlighted the most important parts of the book for my wife to read. She said several times, "I never even heard of this stuff!" Even our long time family doctor didn't know most of this info.

We were pregnant after the third month! Yes, after trying for SEVEN years!!! Our beautiful baby boy is now seven months old and the joy of our lives.

GET THIS BOOK! There is HUGE money in keeping us ignorant on fertility.

Good luck!

A happy and proud Dad and Husband!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been rendered knowledgable!, April 19, 2007
I generally abstain from reviewing the items I purchase, but I feel so compelled to share my opinions on this book. I purchased TCOYF last spring. My husband and I successfully used the Fertility Awareness Method to avoid pregnancy for 11 cycles. On cycle 12, we shifted gears to attaining pregnancy and here I write, at the end of 12, pregnant. Obviously this was the reason I bought the book - to learn the method, put it to use and feel like I got my money's worth. But, I was provided with so much more - an entry into a world I was previously stumbling through, with conflicting understanding of my own body. I have since come to know, without doubt, what is going on! But too, to know when something is "off" and to get a professional opinion. In the beginning, I read twice through the book, but now use it for reference - I never once felt as if I was being talked down to, nor did I find any wording disagreeable. As my dad would say, "it's hard to believe anything is without any fault," and my response in this circumstance would be - The pros are so strong that I would be forcing myself to nitpick. So I will leave it here - this book is for those women looking to steer clear of synthetic hormones, those wanting to know and understand their bodies, and most importantly, those wanting to trust their bodies.

UPDATE - 6 Years Later: Having found this book changed the course of my childbearing life. I now have 3 children and have been able to confidently turn down health professionals when they want me to start taking hormonal birth control postpartum. We now practice Natural Family Planning, of which I've become an instructor; it is essentially using the methods in this book, just abstaining during the fertile period.

Note: Sperm really can live 5 days, and if there is some cervical mucous present (even characteristically non-fertile tacky/sticky), one can conceive from being together w/out a barrier 5 days out from ovulation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, but older women beware, March 10, 2014
This book contains excellent advice and is a valuable source of knowledge. However, I have a suggestion for Ms. Weschler: no one is suggesting that you sugar-coat your advice for older women (those of us past the age of 35) who are seeking to become mothers. However, the use of the words "unfortunate" and "unfortunately" at EVERY point in this book where you discuss this topic is extremely discouraging and is actually frightening to women over the age of 35. I am not kidding -- at every single point in this book where older prospective mothers are discussed, these words are "unfortunately" used. Older women need helpful and realistic advice, but they do not need negativity. I strongly recommend that you revise your language in subsequent editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars the book is boring BUT IT WORKED, September 3, 2014
Not going to lie, the book is boring BUT IT WORKED. My husband has Diabetes and I have PCOS so we thought it would take forever, if we were able to get pregnant at all. Luckily I started researching different methods early on and I am so very glad I did. We got pregnant in the second month of trying this method.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and Effective approach to Au Natural Family Planning, March 15, 2007
I have spent 5 years of marriage using this method to AVOID pregnancy. My mom used this method for 25 years of marriage, both to conceive (5 kids) and avoid conceiving. Three of her five pregnancies were planned. The other two - one was conceived less than 2 mths after another was born, and my mom didn't know you could conceive so early while still breastfeeding. The other unexpected was conceived while my mom was fasting (juice only) for a week, because fasting throws off your body temp!

This book is an enclopedia of the female reproductive system, but it's easy reading. With this method, it doesn't matter how unusual your cycles are - mine range from 30 to 120 days.

Other methods of natural planning are very narrow-minded: The "rhythm" method relies on counting days only. The Billings method relies only on cervical fluid. Typical NFP relies only on waking "basal" body temperatures. This book teaches you about all three, and how they work together to help you predict ovulation and understand your unique body and cycles.

If you don't think you're organized enough for natural family planning, because of the temperature and charting, DON'T LET THAT STOP YOU! (You still have to be organized enough to know where your pills are and take them every day!). The benefits are SO worth it.

The book does not set out to slam any un-natural type of birth control, it just helps you understand your body. However, the potential side effects of un-natural birth control are SO much more than the medical field will tell you (birth-defects, miscarriages, irritability, depression, emotional instability, and even unplanned pregnancies!) - I have sisters and friends that can attest to EACH of the above. Also, the hormones that stimulate ovulation also create HAPPY moods (including being amorous), like the opposite of PMS! If you are on the pill, you will never get this happy time of the month, because it is cutting off those hormones - but you do get to keep PMS!

ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMEND Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. Addresses ways to manage fertility and balance feminine issues using nutrition, vitamin, herbal supplements, weight management, and more. Totally different subject than Taking Charge... but highly necessary. Get them both together.

UPDATE 2010: My husband and I have effectively used the NFP methods described in this book to avoid pregnancy for eight years. NFP is effective as long as you actually USE it. People you have heard of who accidentally got pregnant on NFP weren't using it properly, I can pretty much guarantee you. Now that we are using it to try to start a family, I feel really confident knowing my body so well, and understanding ovulation and fertility.

UPDATE 2014: Our son was born in 2012, thanks to understanding my cycles. I was ovulating, but not getting pregnant despite an effective timing of ovulation and intercourse. As a result, I was able to see a doctor and have some thyroid and hormonal issues addressed. They didn't try giving me ovulation-inducing drugs, because we could see from my charts that ovulation was not the problem; something else was. I conceived a few months after treatment for those issues. We have now used the FAM method after my son's birth, to help plan our second child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Husbands Too!, January 14, 2010
This is a fantastic book. My wife was in Iraq at the time, and we each ordered a copy to read. As a man, I found the book very informative in a simple but clear way--it helped me to develop a deep appreciation and understanding of my wife and the way her body works. She started charting while she was still deployed and when we were finally reunited, she got pregnant in about 3 days! And we knew right away!

Now, it's three years later, she's out of the Army, we're trying for a third, and are once again turning to this excellent book.

I can't say enough about it: it is an awesome resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book! Invaluable information for any woman!, July 10, 2013
Kisha (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This book was great! I read cover to cover when I first bought it a few months after I first got married. I still go back to it for reference purposes. I bought this book from one of the big book stores back in the fall of 2011. I married my husband at nearly 41 and wanted very much to have a child. Concerned about my chances of conceiving at my ripe old age of 41, I got the book and installed the program that comes on the disk that came with the book. I tracked my fertility signs for a couple months and then started tracking my temperature. After having a check up with my gynecologist and getting the system down pat, my husband and I started trying to conceive in December 2011. I ended up pregnant on my second cycle and had a successful pregnancy, ending in the birth of a healthy 8 pound baby girl. Recently, I ended up pregnant again. Though I wasn't tracking my temperature, I was tracking my cervical fluid and knew that there was a chance I'd end up pregnant again because we had sex on a fertile day. Unfortunately, I miscarried at 8 weeks. I continue to track my cycle using CM and will start tracking temps again as my baby sleeps better at night.

I think the information in the book is great for trying to conceive or trying to avoid pregnancy. I wish I knew this information when I was younger.

Update: I recently became pregnant again very quickly at age 43 and now 33 weeks along. I've recommended this book to anyone who wants to get pregnant right away or who wants an alternative to artificial birth control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and empowering - this book changes lives, June 5, 2008
K. Berkery "majorsky" (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book is so empowering for women. Thanks to Taking Charge of Your Fertility, I was able to determine I probably had PCOS (which I did) and was finally able to get pregnant after years of trying to conceive. I was even able to determine that I was probably having a girl when I was only three weeks pregnant! (I have a two-year-old daughter now.) I've used the TCOYF method for pregnancy avoidance since my daughter was born as well.

I have a friend who was unable to get pregnant after a few months of trying. She's a therapist for pregnant teenagers and she counsels them on birth control and taking care of their bodies, but she hardly knew anything about the mechanics of fertility until she read this book. I loaned her a copy, and a couple of months later she was happily pregnant and a lot more knowledgeable.

I recommend this book to my good friends who are open to learning more about their cycles, whether trying to avoid pregnancy or achieve it. Certainly not every woman is interested in learning these things, usually because they can get pregnant easily or they're content to go on the pill/patch and not think about fertility. This is a book for women who are truly curious about the amazing functions of their bodies or have had problems they and/or their doctors don't understand.

After practically memorizing this book, I've learned that I'm more knowledgeable than my doctors about my cycle and my fertility. I feel empowered by the book, but at the same time frustrated that medical professionals often won't take the time to see the value of what this book teaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this book, March 1, 2014
The respect you will gain for your body and the power it will give you will forever change the way you look at yourself. I wish that every teenage girl was required to read this book. It's not about how to conceive, or even about sex. It is about understanding the cycles and extremely predictable nature of even the most irregular woman's cycle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I found this method and book sooner, December 30, 2013
After years of searching for a birth control that didn't leave me an emotional wreck, cause my weight to fluctuate, acne, lethargy, and a series of other issues, I finally found this book. It was in my search for something more natural while I was blog surfing, that I found out about this method. I immediately went off birth control after discussing with my husband and we (I) decided to give it a try.

I am so happy I chose to take matters in to my own hands and read this book. There are a couple of iPhone apps like Kindara that work well with this. It is a big book and I read certain chapters over and over to better understand the information, but it's worth it. I can't believe I went this long without knowing how my body worked!

Being diagnosed with PMDD I was beginning to think there was no solution. I can now track when my moods shift and the shift is so much lighter than when I was taking birth control. I feel in control oft moods and what is going on with my body.

Must read for all women.