Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 19, 2012
I wish I had read the 1 star review of this book before purchasing directly from the author. I can't believe Ms Evans has the nerve to charge $50 for what is little more than a pamphlet. The owner's manual to my camera contains more information. Then, there are three pages in which the photo captions are completely illegible. So what is the solution? She sends you an index card with the correct captions printed on it. Gee thanks, I hope I don't lose it. There are plenty of other photography books out there with more substantial information at a fraction of the price. And I find the reviews and actions of the author's husband suspect as well. Avoid this one.
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2012
Like the other 1 star reviewer said and was right, the book is a little more than a pamphlet with very, very basic information that you could easily get off of any basic photography web site. Someone is creating a zillion 5 star "reviews" to push the ranking of this "book" high. This is not worth the money.
on January 24, 2012
I am an amateur photographer... working mostly with my two young children. This book has helped me to take and edit better pictures of them. It is very easy to read with step by step instructions. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to learn more about taking great photos!
on January 24, 2012
I have been a follower of Katie's blog for a while. As a newcomer to DSLR photography, I was looking for a book that could help me understand making the most of my new camera. I took a chance on Kate's book and am so glad I did. She writes in a way that is not only easy to understand, but also put into practice. She gave me the courage to have fun and not be afraid to take out my camera. i have a better understanding of how my camera works and the ability to control settings so I can get the shot I want. I keep her e-book on my iPad so I can refer to it at any time. I am such a fan that I have signed up for one of her workshops for more hands-on learning!
on January 12, 2013
Grand daughter is very interested in photography and she is just starting out. Super book for a beginner and intermediate photographer.
on January 24, 2012
This is a terrific book. I have had a DSLR for several years and LOVED it, but never took the camera off of "automatic." I recently had my last child and to celebrate, we had an amazing photographer do a series of pictures of our children. We literally paid thousands of dollars for them--it was a special investment and they are absolutely stunning. Obviously, this is not something we can do for every milestone, so I set out to learn how to make the pictures I am constantly taking of the kids look more like the professional ones we love. Enter "The Key to Taking Pictures Like A Professional Photographer." Finally, someone is giving concrete, easily understandable advice on how to improve your skills and make the little tweaks that make a huge difference. Katie Brown makes difficult subjects (aperture, composition, shutter speed, finding the right lighting, editing/enhancing, etc.) clear and easy to understand. The pictures in the book are beautiful and demonstrate what she is explaining. The writing style is relaxed and enjoyable. She gives you the skills you need to make changes immediately. I finally figured out how to find the light and make eyes sparkle, as well as how to convert a color photograph into a black and white shot that really stands out--instead of just a boring blend of grays. I took a few practice pictures of my niece for Christmas and they turned out so well, I gave them to my family as a gift. They couldn't believe I shot them! The more I practice, the better my skills become. Thank you for sharing the secrets!!
on January 24, 2012
Unlock your camera!!!! I bought a hard copy for a gift for my stepdad and an ebook for myself from her website thekeytotakingpictures.com, (you can find sales at her site from time to time) the hard copy makes such a nice gift, its not overwhelming it gives you the basics along with some advanced techniquies that will help you get those photos that you see and are not sure how to get. The book covers what tools are best for getting your shos, editing your shots as well as how to break out of shooting in auto. There are tons of photos in the book that show what she is teaching you to do. learn your settings, get great shots and enjoy your camera and you photos!!!

The Ebook was nice for me as I can put it on my tablet and read it on the go while out with my kids at the park or take it with as I shoot for those things that I want to try but can"t remember.

The book is written to give you the tools you need with out being too wordy or too overwhelming, but will also help you if you are allready shooting out of auto but need that extra push like I do :)
on January 24, 2012
This is the book to get if you are new to the world of DSLR photography. There are seven chapters covering what you need to know to get started taking better pictures with your new camera. Everything from equiptment needed to composition, lighting, exposure, camera settings, and editing. What I LOVE about this book is that it gets right to the point and doesn't try to confuse you with information that you may not be ready for.
She compares the Nikon (what she uses), and the Canon brands. Don't worry if you don't use one of those brands (I use a Sony DSLR), and the information still applies.
I purchased this book on her website thekeytotakingpictures.com (you can still purchase it there, the price may be different in a good way??)
You won't be dissapointed by this book. She has so many pictures that help explain what she is teaching. In the chapter on exposure, she mentions another book to buy if you want to learn more on the subject.
She is a natural light photographer, so flashes and studio lighting are not covered, but that is a subject to study by all by itself, meaning a whole book dedicated to it.
So in conclusion, this is a GREAT place to start. You will learn so much from this book and start taking better photos right away!!
on January 24, 2012
Having had a couple of film SLR cameras, I was extremely happy to get a new Sony digital SLR. I thought the transition to digital would be relatively easy. It didn't take me long to realize I needed help in a form I could understand. I'm an experiential learner and the camera manual drove me mad, so I started searching for something else. There were lots of books to choose from but this one seemed pretty simple and I decided to give it a try. Since then, I've read it cover to cover several times and I continue to use it as a reference. It's a treasure to find technical information written in pure conversational language. I felt like I was sitting down to a cup of coffee with the author. She gave lots of personal hints and used her own lovely photography as examples. Her way of explaining the intricacies of taking good photos seemed almost collaborative rather than instructional. This book is a terrific source for the amateur who wants to improve skills or for the new digital SLR user.
on January 24, 2012
I purchased this book (in ebook form) when I received a prime lens for my birthday in December. It helped me understand how to use the prime lens quickly, so I could get pictures of my son. Through reading the book, I learned that a lot of the issues when I was taking pictures with my kit lens is because of how the lens works. She does a good job of illustrating and giving examples of how the aperture, shutter speed and ISO all work together AND how to set each of those so you can take the type of picture you want in a specific setting.

One of the reasons I feel this book was so good (vs another photography book I received) is I don't have a lot of time since I am chasing a toddler. It was a quick read with lots of information easy for me to understand. You can see more information at thekeytotakingpictures.com.