5.0 out of 5 stars Super great ideas
Grand daughter is very interested in photography and she is just starting out. Super book for a beginner and intermediate photographer.
Published 20 months ago by Deborah B Merrick

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off! And phony reviews. Do not waste your money!
Published on May 19, 2012 by SR

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off! And phony reviews. Do not waste your money!, May 19, 2012
This review is from: The Key to Taking Pictures Like A Professional Photographer (Paperback)
I wish I had read the 1 star review of this book before purchasing directly from the author. I can't believe Ms Evans has the nerve to charge $50 for what is little more than a pamphlet. The owner's manual to my camera contains more information. Then, there are three pages in which the photo captions are completely illegible. So what is the solution? She sends you an index card with the correct captions printed on it. Gee thanks, I hope I don't lose it. There are plenty of other photography books out there with more substantial information at a fraction of the price. And I find the reviews and actions of the author's husband suspect as well. Avoid this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this book -- most reviews are fake!, May 28, 2012
B Chan "B" (California, US) - See all my reviews
Like the other 1 star reviewer said and was right, the book is a little more than a pamphlet with very, very basic information that you could easily get off of any basic photography web site. Someone is creating a zillion 5 star "reviews" to push the ranking of this "book" high. This is not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super great ideas, January 12, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book!, January 24, 2012
I am an amateur photographer... working mostly with my two young children. This book has helped me to take and edit better pictures of them. It is very easy to read with step by step instructions. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to learn more about taking great photos!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad to see this book on Amazon!, January 24, 2012
I have been a follower of Katie's blog for a while. As a newcomer to DSLR photography, I was looking for a book that could help me understand making the most of my new camera. I took a chance on Kate's book and am so glad I did. She writes in a way that is not only easy to understand, but also put into practice. She gave me the courage to have fun and not be afraid to take out my camera. i have a better understanding of how my camera works and the ability to control settings so I can get the shot I want. I keep her e-book on my iPad so I can refer to it at any time. I am such a fan that I have signed up for one of her workshops for more hands-on learning!

1.0 out of 5 stars FAKE!!!!, June 30, 2012
All the reviews for this are fake... the book is not nearly as good as they say it is. For the price here i would never buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars The Key to Loving Your Own Pictures!!, January 24, 2012
This is a terrific book. I have had a DSLR for several years and LOVED it, but never took the camera off of "automatic." I recently had my last child and to celebrate, we had an amazing photographer do a series of pictures of our children. We literally paid thousands of dollars for them--it was a special investment and they are absolutely stunning. Obviously, this is not something we can do for every milestone, so I set out to learn how to make the pictures I am constantly taking of the kids look more like the professional ones we love. Enter "The Key to Taking Pictures Like A Professional Photographer." Finally, someone is giving concrete, easily understandable advice on how to improve your skills and make the little tweaks that make a huge difference. Katie Brown makes difficult subjects (aperture, composition, shutter speed, finding the right lighting, editing/enhancing, etc.) clear and easy to understand. The pictures in the book are beautiful and demonstrate what she is explaining. The writing style is relaxed and enjoyable. She gives you the skills you need to make changes immediately. I finally figured out how to find the light and make eyes sparkle, as well as how to convert a color photograph into a black and white shot that really stands out--instead of just a boring blend of grays. I took a few practice pictures of my niece for Christmas and they turned out so well, I gave them to my family as a gift. They couldn't believe I shot them! The more I practice, the better my skills become. Thank you for sharing the secrets!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful and full of reminders., March 27, 2012
This book is an excellent tool to have on hand. The descriptions are concise and the breakdown of each step is so beneficial. I enjoy the fact that this helped remind me of steps I had forgotten from a previous photography class I had taken with another photographer. There were little details in the book that helped me take sharp, artistic photos... while remembering proper lighting.

I find that the photographer and author is not only very informative with this book, but on her blog as well. As an amateur photographer, learning from an expert I enjoy the teaching and shooting style of Katie Evans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Even for Canon Owners, February 10, 2012
As a Canon owner, I was worried that this book would not be super useful, but based on the reviews, I gave it a go. It has changed by photography completely. It's so simple, yet so thorough. I recommend it to any DSLR owner who wants to take their camera out of Auto, but just can't seem to get it right every time they try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, February 2, 2012
I purchased this as an ebook about a year ago. It was very helpful, not only as a 'refresher' of sorts, but because it gave me additional information I hadn't considered. Beautiful photos, lots of good advice, definitely a worth while investment.

The Key to Taking Pictures Like A Professional Photographer