Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on February 10, 2013
Seriously.. I don't know what app some of these reviewers are rating.. but it isn't this one.

1) There IS information on how to use the app. All you do is touch the large exclamation point in the blue circle on the opening screen to find out how to use the app.

2) There are NO songs to play at all. The person who complained that all it does is highlight keys to play a song is mixing it up with another app. This has nothing like that kind of interaction available. This app teaches notes, chords and scales...NOT songs of any kind, at least in the beginning levels, which is all I have gotten through,..

3) There are two modes of interaction.. One is "PLAY" and one is "Practice". After reading the info, start with "Practice" until you LEARN something about reading musical notes, scales and chords. The PLAY mode is the same as the Practice mode but with a time limit and no "cheats".

4) Someone wrote that it doesn't recognize multiple touch to play a chord... it doesn't NEED to recognize multiple touch. When learning chords you are given the name of a chord and then you are asked to select the individual keys/notes that make up that chord. Each key stays highlighted until you have selected the number of keys that make up the chord, if you don't pick the right ones,you get a "try again" in practice mode or a buzzer in the PLAY mode.

I can play a tiny bit of piano, but have always played by ear and have never learned to read music very proficiently. I think this app may do the trick for helping me to finally improve my skills.

I do have a few cons which keeps me from giving it the full 5 stars.

1) It can't be installed on my SD card, this will more than likely cause me to have to uninstall sooner rather than later as space is at a premium.

2) I would like to be able to replay the sound of the note or chord... of course, this is probably because I am used to playing by ear, so maybe this isn't really a con for me, but will force me to learn the notes without the sound.

3) Unfortunately, I have had two FC in just a few times of playing it this morning. I have an older Galaxy Tab, so it may be causing the problem, but I hope that it doesn't continue to be a problem.
0Comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
While I love the FAOTD and try not to write nonpositive reviews, this app just doesn't make any sense. I'll admit I'm no John Williams but I do know the chords and notes on a piano. FACE and EGBDF, etc. I just can't figure out what this app wants as an answer. I practiced in the tutorial but it was more or less just an act of memorization. During the actual "play" it asks for "G" and then the answer turns out to be "G"-"b-sharp"-"C". Anyone that can explain this, I'll be more than happy to listen.

This has the potential to be a really great app. However, it needs a lot of work or the developer needs to provide better instructions. Even the simplest games like Crazy 8's and Uno (both of which 98% of the world's population knows how to play) comes with instructions in the app for the other 2% that don't, so why the developer doesn't offer some instructions is beyond me.

Hope this helps others.
on February 10, 2013
This is the free app of the day, but the app you download is actually the FREE version, not the paid, full version (even though it says it's normally $1.99, which is the price of the full app) ... If you download it, then open Google play, you will notice that the free version is installed. Lame.
0Comment| 262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I love the piano games out there but this isn't one of them. While it doesn't have a bunch of permission requests, it DOES require you download and install Adobe Air. Adobe Air requires a huge amount of space and even if your device has an external SD card, it's still going t be using a lot of resources. I can't aee playing this on a phone, it feels like it needs a lot more screen space than that.

In my opinion, I wouldn't pay for this or even keep it as a free app. The gameplay itself doesn't even teach the piano, it just has you hitting keys that are lit up to play a song. It doesn't even matter if you hit the correct key, the note still plays and you've learned nothing. A lot if space taken on your device for a below average app. Uninstalled.
11 comment| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
First, a qualifier. I hold a masters degree in piano pedagogy which means I learned to teach piano. Another qualifier: I do not own a tablet but have a Samsung Galaxy III. I did not get all the way through this game mostly because the upper levels of the game play are locked and honestly I got frustrated. I wanted to see if the game quizzes chord reading (as in, on the staff) rather than chord identification by letter. There's not much help there from what I've seen, and playing broken chords isn't the same as playing solid ones. The reason I found it frustrating is that a single mistake ends the game. I can tell you this will get mighty frustrating for someone trying to build accuracy. In fact the mistakes that ended the game for me were simply being less than exact on where I touch the screen (once my touch registered twice). Now this very well could be issues with the size and sensitivity of my device. However I still think you should be given three tries at least before the game ends.

In terms of single note practice it was more forgiving. ..maybe too forgiving. Instead of being demanding in accuracy, it more or less allowed me to jab in the general directiin of the key, so that I was never actually sure if I had hit the right one. In its favor, however, it did utilize and encourage note reading skills.

As a practice aid, it's probably really only useful to real beginners to aid in getting faster with note identification although an additional association with the note's letter name would be helpful. The app seems to be a bit schizophrenic in terms of deciding whether or not it is going to encourage note reading or spelling, which is a problem.

As a game it is frustrating (which I did state earlier). And if it's frustrating for me, as someone who should be fairly proficient at this game, then this frustration can only be increased for someone still in the earlier stages of learning.
on February 10, 2013
The free app of the day from Amazon.com for Feb. 10, 2013 is PianoTeacher.

The question many people probably have is whether you can actually learn to play the piano with this app. The answer is YES AND NO, depending on your age, your level of previous music education and background, and your preferred learning styles.

One of the keys to learning the Chords part of this app is to use the formula on the info page of this app. Unfortunately, after opening the app a few times after the leave comments to the app developer finally goes away, the info page does not appear correctly keeping you from seeing the formula page. Without seeing the info page with the formula on it, the chord section is confusing. A formula like R+2+1.5 means to start at the key listed in blue and then go twice as many than what the number is to the right. So you select the root note, then you go 4 spaces (2*2) to the right and select that note. Then you go 3 (1.5*2) to the right to select the final note. When you pass the first level and start the second level, the app then gives you formulas that are either R+2+1.5 or R+1.5+2 (note that the unlike the first level where it is 4 over then 3 over, it can be in that sequence or 3 over then 4 over as well).

The problems with this app therefore are the bug reaching the info page explaining the formula and the lack of basic information on music such as the note scheme on a keyboard. In this case you have CDEFGABCDEFGABC going across the keyboard. These kind of problems make this very difficult for people with little previous musical knowledge such as little kids to truly learn how to play the piano. This app seems to be more geared to introverts who learn things on their own rather than extroverts who learn from other people.

So because of the fact that this app will be much more difficult for many people to learn than others and because of the lack of basic information on musical notes and because of the bug accessing the page explaining the formula which is a key part to understanding how to do the chord part of the app, I am giving this 2 out of 5 stars since this app may have value for those who learn from figuring things out on their own.
on February 10, 2013
This app is ok but it requires Adobe Air to use. If you have a phone that doesn't have much memory you might not want this app. Adobe Air is a pretty but file. If you have a Kindle Fire or Fire HD. Then you could use this and enjoy it. Helps you practice. Hope this helps.
0Comment| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
Interesting choice for a FAOTD as this app will not be something that is usable by everyone. The description is misleading in that this is not going to teach you how to play piano. This is more of a study guide for those who are already learning to play or have a rudimentary knowledge of how to play. Game developers have created a nice interface that is quick loading and easy to pick up. Quiz style game demonstrat1ng different notes
on March 11, 2013
This app may might be helpful for someone who already knows a bit about playing piano, but it is not for the beginner. It makes you start over at the least mistake, and provides very little in the way of help, direction or positive feedback. My daughter and I were just frustrated and discouraged by it. As a teacher, I can tell you that this app is not a very effective learning tool.
on March 16, 2013
Piano Teacher would be a great starter app for the very young or the very old. It provides the pleasures of all "Johnny-One-Note" music playing. From here, I think most will move rather quickly to Piano Master Free which is more challenging and more fun.