Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on August 29, 2006
First of all, I'm glad that the pilot episodes are being released regardless of whether they are the 100% correct version. Ducktales and Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers (CNDRR) didn't even have any version of their pilot episodes. That fact alone makes Talespin a superior release.

Secondly, I could get nitpicky, but whether they released the edited "movie-ized" version of the pilot episodes or the actual 5-part separate version doesn't matter to me much. I'm just glad this piece of animation gold is finally out.

Thirdly, Talespin is the series that ruled all other series. It gets better and better each time I see it. It has that fun adventure feel that the Gummi Bears had. And unlike CNDRR, Ducktales, or Darkwing Duck it kept it stories edgy and interesting without over resorting to cutsie-wootsie episodes (except the Molly ones). The story revolved around a man-child (bear-cub) called Baloo. So while he was childish in nature the stories took place in the adult world for the most part.

Finally, killer animation, great characters, interesting twists on the roaring 20s/30s, and Baloo "The Greatest Bear Ever" make this truly the crown jewel of Disney television animation.
TaleSpins is one my favorite cartoons that was part of the Disney Afternoon. It air at 4:30 after Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers.

The episodes on Volume One are:

The Bigger They Are the Louder They Oink
A Spy in the ointment
The Balooest of the Blue Bloods
on January 10, 2007
This is the greatest cartoon ever made. That dosen't sound biased at all right? I loved this cartoon growing up and watching them again is like reliving a simpler time. This show is just a good as when I was a kid which is not true for many of the things I liked then. When I finished this set the only thing I wanted for was another set with the shows that I remembered while watching this series. I love the style of the planes and the backgrounds all inspired by the 20's, and 30's. I didn't realise this but I owe my love of Strawberry soda to this show. I love the characters all adapted from the Jungle Book movie. Even that sort of rminds me of the old Hollywood system where one studio would use the same cast of actors in different movies.

Kids should see this, adults should see this.

As good as the cartoon is the DVD's are bad. There is no remastering, there is no superior audio quality. Not one special feature to be found. As good as these shows were and as much as they were the Disney cartoons a generation grew up with; Disney just dosen't care about quality anymore.
on October 18, 2006
It's been years since I had seen thsi show properly. I was about 8 when it first came on and remember watching this fondly in reruns in the early 90's.

Compared to most of the AHDD-inducing cartoons out there today, it's good to go back and relive classic cartoon memories with this set. I'm so glad that Disney has finally released it on DVD for us.

Sure, you don't get snazzy bonus features and some people complain about the pilot or an episode being censored or uncut, but you know what? Who cares! I could never tell the difference when I watched these episodes. Extras would've been a nice treat, but not necessary to enjoy this great show.

This box set of Volume 1 of Talespin gets 5 stars, simply because it's a show that, if you haven't watched, you should give it a try. Hopefully kids of today will pick up these DVD's and cherish them like we did when we were children back then.
on August 23, 2006
TaleSpin was THE SHOW I used to watch on weekday mornings before going to elementary school!!! This is taking me waaaay back!! A true classic!! I just love this whole DVD thing!!!! They could never do this with VHS tapes. (Sigh) I love you, Disney!!!! This is one of those great shows I never thought I'd get to see again--like DuckTales, Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck (which will be out on the same day as TaleSpin). Awesome!!!!!! YESSSS!!
on April 22, 2007
It took some doing - and a lot of sessions on the treadmill - but I finally have completed watching the first 27 episodes of this marvelous Disney TV series. IMHO, only "DuckTales" surpasses it in the DTVA canon. It does have its flaws - most noticeably, a failure to develop a large number of exceptionally one-shot characters into series regulars, and a little too much willingness to slot "ol' Baloo" into plots once shouldered by Fred Flintstone - but the ambience, the quality of storytelling, and the unique personality and background of Kit Cloudkicker, arguably DTVA's best original juvenile creation, simply cannot be matched. An absolute must for serious TV-toon buffs (not to mention "furry" fans - you know who you are).
on January 23, 2008
TaleSpin was always a favorite show of mine growing up. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, it tells of adventures of pilot Baloo (the same easy-going Baloo from "The Jungle Book") and his navigator, Kit Cloudkicker; as they fly their airplane - The "Sea Duck" - for a cargo company named Higher for Hire. All the while they have to fight pesky air pirates - led by the extremely likeable and charismatic Don Karnage. And when Baloo's not having to deal with Karnage and his pirates, he's always in some kind of trouble with his boss, Rebecca Cunningham (played by Sally Struthers from "All in the Family"). Other "Jungle Book" characters appearing in the show include Louie, as the owner of Baloo's favorite nightclub, and Shere Khan, as an unpredictable corporate big wig. TaleSpin also has a 1940's comic book feel to it, seen in the clothes and buildings. This show has always been a favorite.

The reason I only gave it four stars instead of five is because I think Disney could have done much better on the DVD quality. There are absolutely no special features or commentaries on the show, and the episodes aren't divided into chapters (the entire episode is just lumped together). But if you can put up with that and you have even a moderate liking for Disney cartoons, then this is definitely the show for you!
on August 26, 2006
I wanted to say thanks to the team, including the staff and voice cast who helped create this masterpiece back in the good ol' carefree days of 1990 and '91 (for me, at least) FINALLY, my favorite animated series on DVD. One down, two more to go!! This first edition contains "Plunder & Lightning" (I don't have the DVD yet, but another Spinner friend tells me it's the four-part edited version) =( - other ep's appear to be complete, though. At least it's assured that the episodes have not been altered or major edits processed. Any comments please visit my TaleSpin and Baloo website. Just type my name - I will have a tribute to Tony Jay (and my 2003 interview with the voice of Shere Khan) up shortly. Peace - Joe Goria
on November 13, 2006
As always the concern with shows you loved as a kid: will it be as good when you watch it as an adult? Alas, usually the answer to that question is no.

However, my boyfriend and I took a chance on this DVD and I must say it is one show that retains its excellence all these years later! The animation is clean (not yet outsourced, I think), the plots don't have holes, and the jokes are funny (and clean!). (Don Carnage- portrait of villainy, yes/no?)

I am hoping Duck Tails and Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers are as good a buy as Tail Spin is.
on June 25, 2013
I made a promise to myself, that I would buy every cartoon t.v. series or movie from my childhood, so that my children could watch them and grow with them too. And TalesSpin is one of them. I used to dance and sing along the theme song. Wow! Good memories...