5.0 out of 5 stars My only complaint: I wanted more
If you love the Harry Potter series, then this is a must-have. It arrived in the mail yesterday, and I devoured it right away. And that's my only complaint: it's brevity. It's a short, quick read. But a fun one.
And it's not simply a handful of fairy tales from the wizarding world. The commentary by Albus Dumbledore on each story was a really nice touch, in some...
Published on December 5, 2008 by A. Writer O. Sorts

1.0 out of 5 stars Send the money TO the charity instead
Please, let me say that first and foremost, I adore (nay, worship) the Harry Potter stories.

Secondly, I wish to say that I deeply admire, respect (and am quite envious of) J. K. Rowling's skill, her achievements, and the long and heroic struggle she has triumphed over to get where she is today.

Thirdly, I am so very happy that Ms. Rowling has chosen...
Published on December 26, 2008 by Geoff

‹ Previous | 171 72 7397 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book, March 2, 2009
This review is from: The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition (Harry Potter) (Hardcover)
After reading all the Harry Potters about 9 times this was a great little book to read and get more insight information about the wizarding world of Harry Potter .
And of course any book of J.K that is about Harry Potter is worth reading , just so you could keep the story alive !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for HP Fans!, January 11, 2009
M. Pearce (Lansing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I gave this to my boyfriend as a gift for Christmas. He loved it, and since I've read it I can attest that it's a wonderful compilation of wizard fairy tales (with essays by Dumbledore after each story). It took only about an hour to read the entire thing, but it was worth it :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good stories!!, January 7, 2009
So let's be honest, who can't use a little extra HP in their lives right about now? This book had some fresh new insight into the series without being repetitive. I enjoyed reading most of the short stories and for 6 bucks or so, you really can't go wrong with this quick read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but short, January 12, 2009
I loved this book. My sister loved it. She read it in like a day she loved it so much. But that is the problem. It has some great stories but it is short. If you were expecting much more Harry Potter you will be disappointed. But you still should buy it if you love Harry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of Beedle the Bard, January 6, 2009
Excellent Book. I bought for my grandson and he read it in a week. This is great for a kid who hates to read. I, too have read it. The short descriptions and synopsis after each chapter give a greater insight to the world of Harry Potter, Hogwarts and the rest of the group.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Please. Stop., January 18, 2009
Horrible! Horrible! Horrible! Boring! Boring! Asinine! Not aimed at her supposed audience! What child ever wanted to read page after page of literary commentary in his book, even if it is written by Dumbledore? Kids deserve a story. And the stories that remain, after you remove the commentary, are dull. Oh, yes, and the commentary is dull too. This is not just a massive charity instrument for Rowling, it is a manipulation and fraud on her extensive readership. This seems to be the plan:

A. Make them read it because they think it enhances the Harry Potter series
B. Give them crap
C. Donate the proceeds to charity.
...What a waste of her effort, and every reader's time and money. Why didn't she just donate a few million outright? That would have been more honest. The woman's a billionaire, after all.

To be fair, the fairy tale, with its usually brief but broad style, is extremely difficult to write well; it's hard to make the characters memorable in the middle of a fable-ized plot where we immediately look at the text with unicorn-colored glasses. Like Pat Robertson, we expect miracles. Any modern fable begins with a noisy background of all the fables that came before it. A major fable or fairy tale Character cannot be just himself; he must often be a stencil, a New Type. So many good fairy tales and fairy tale characters exist and are still great and wonderful, despite Rowling's disdain for fairy princesses who are saved by princes. The old stories stick in our minds like jewels, and a successful tale writer must compete with that gleam. Good thing Rowling didn't try to. She'd have embarrassed herself. Oh, wait, she managed to do that anyway, with her quasi-fabley language and mundane, plodding plots. And those characters.

Speaking of which, whatever possessed her to place a heart-licking fetishist in a kid's book? Seems like she wanted to include some of the traditional fairy tale horror in one of the tales, but she couldn't think of anything except hair, licking, and blood. I'm all for something inventive in the horror line, but this one doesn't work. That scene -- in which the king removes his own and his bride's hearts and starts salivating -- springs sort of out of nowhere and doesn't really fit the rest of her story. Leaves you wondering, Why on earth is he licking her heart? Additionally, the hair on the king's own heart (assisted by the illustration) simply reminds me of unshaved legs. Hmmm. You know, there is a lot of unfocused, bumbling feminism in this stupid book. I wish she'd try again, like Samuel Richardson, and write a version of these tales actually worth paper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bettle the Bard, January 11, 2009
I'm not sure where to begin. The stories were not well written. I don't know what I expected but, what I got was a book of jibber jabber. I realize this was a fictional book. How Harry, Hermione could have gleaned anything from that book is beyond me. It was not well written even with Dumbledores explainations.
I just didn't think much of the book, I'm sorry for J.K. I believe she could have done better.......

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent read for HP fans, January 6, 2009
J. Friday (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
If you have a true appreciation for the Harry Potter series, then it's worth the read. Otherwise, I would say it's not worth your time. What I enjoyed most were not the tales themselves, but the commentary after each tale and its relation to events from the HP series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 11, 2014
love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Collector of HP series, August 21, 2014
M_77 (Long Island, New York) - See all my reviews
Love it

‹ Previous | 171 72 7397 | Next ›

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition (Harry Potter)
The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition (Harry Potter) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - December 4, 2008)
$12.99 $7.40