4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure and a Great Read...
Published on March 28, 2005 by A. Marbach

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, quick, memorable read about a neat adventure.
I thought I should put a review up here to even out the bad reviews.

I thought "Tales From Fish Camp" was a pleasant read. The book is basically the narrative thoughts of a girl's adventure to an Alaskan fish camp for a few months. I thought the book read like a 'zine. And since I am a big fan of 'zines, I really enjoyed the book.

It only took me...
Published on June 10, 2006 by G.J. Head

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, quick, memorable read about a neat adventure., June 10, 2006
G.J. Head (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales from Fish Camp: A City Girl's Experience Working in an Alaskan Fishing Village (Paperback)
I thought I should put a review up here to even out the bad reviews.

It only took me about 2 hours to get through the whole thing, but I found the writing and the stories she told very inspiring. It brought back a good deal of good memories of my own adventures and friends that I haven't seen for a long time. I'm glad Danielle Henderson took the time to write her memories down from this interesting time of her life and share them with us.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Adventure and a Great Read..., March 28, 2005
A. Marbach "badgroove" (Sometimes Sunny California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I really loved this book...it was given to me as a gift...and that is what it truly was- a gift. When I first started reading the book - it felt a little choppy- until I realized that the book is not in novel format- as I expected but in several short vignettes all relating her experiences in the Fishing Village somewhere on the Alaskan Tundra. In this manner I find the book to be much like Steinbeck's The Long Valley- which I loved...except that her stories aren't fictional.

The stories of a "city girl's experience working in an Alaskan fishing village" (from the front cover) are both humorous and adventurous often at the same time. The author's ability to give me a picture of the fishing village in my head, the descriptive nature of the text is what first pulled me in...and then...there are the stories of the people and work in the fishing village...I felt like I was there while reading this book. My favorite story? Well it was hard to pick...but I would probably say the one about the brown bears! I don't want to spoil much of this gem- because the only think I found at fault with the book was that it was far too short. I will be looking for more from Danielle Henderson- that is for certain!

1.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed, July 10, 2006
Before buying and reading this book I had visited her blog in order to get a sense of her writing style. I had also searched for her on the net and read reviews and interviews concerning this book and was expecting something better than what I had received.

I was a little disappointed in the brevity of the "stories" and the book in itself.

While I did not expect the writing to be of a serious nature I was a little disappointed in the ability of the author. I believe that this book should have been worked on a little more. Perhaps if she had done so then the "stories" might have contained more detail and the quality of the writing might have been improved.

The layout of the book, as others below have mentioned, leaves much to be desired and questions the seriousness of the author in the creative writing field. Illustrations in place of the blank pages would have been perfered.

This is a very light read that is perfect when one wants something one doesn't have to spend much time thinking about.

I would, instead of buying this book, either borrow from someone or find it in a local bookstore and read it there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, December 11, 2004
I cackled my way through this book. Can there be a better review than that? Henderson's deadpan humor and knack for set-up are fantastic. She gets you laughing with straight-up jokes and meditations of the absurd. But her stories about life at fish camp are more than just amusing, some are downright beautiful in their treatment of place and character. Henderson is at her best when she surrounds you with the narrative and punches you in the gut with funny. That is "Tales From Fish Camp." I won't invoke Sedaris, because that seems was too Manhattan and way too obnoxious, but you will love this book if you enjoy hilarious, heartfelt memoiresque stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but extremely light on content, April 1, 2005
Danielle Henderson has a great narrative voice. Confident and steady, with an eye for the occasional detail that never slips into drawn-out minutiae. Tales from Fish Camp is a well-written series of short, energetic anecdotes, the kind you can picture Henderson telling friends over drinks at the pub. Unfortunately, there's not enough content to justify an actual book. Generously listed at 120 pages, more than half of them are blank chapter separators. In a few cases, 1-2 page chapters are separated by as many as 5 blank pages! Considering their reputation for publishing graphic novels, you'd think AiT/Planet Lar would have at least commissioned an artist to flesh out Henderson's Tales, but no, there's not a single image in the book. Save your money and get a taste of Henderson's writing on her blog, instead. If she ever publishes a novel or a weightier collection of short stories or anecdotes, though, I'll be first in line to pick it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real life, only funnier and way more dangerous, August 29, 2008
ERIN "underroos" (Tempe, Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
I love everything about this book. I love that it's pink and it fits in my purse, sure, but most of all I love the story Danielle tells and the way she tells it: with frankness, honesty, and humor. She delivers the lasting impression that this book is a love letter she wrote to honor a memorable part of her life, so it's not only a well-written story but the reader feels like there's a purpose there, too. It's a good feeling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Something to Not Try, June 12, 2006
Well after reading the reviews on here I decided to give this a try.

I was disappointed. The good reviews on here promised me something else as did her blog. I did not enjoy the writing. I feel as if the writer should have waited a bit before putting this to print and worked on this a little more.

The writing is amateurish at best. But it fits the genre and type of book it is.

I'm glad I didn't pay for this as I would have demanded my money back. I'm not in the habit of paying blank pages in books.

If you're looking for an extremely light read then pick it up. But I recommend that you read it at Barnes and Noble instead of buying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves much to be desired., April 7, 2006
I was greatly disappointed in this book. I had bought it after reading the first review. I guess I should have waited longer for other reviews.

It wasn't funny. The jokes were badly done as well as the writing. I felt this needed more work done to it and more content. I don't know why this was turned into a book. It's more like a short story.

Each chapter was a few pages long. There were blank pages that separated each chapter with nothing but a fish on it. I paid for content, for a story. Not blank pages! I was very put out that I spent over ten dollars on this "book".

I really did not like the writing for this book. I felt it lacked real talent creative and otherwise. I don't believe this author has what it takes to be one of the greats.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good., March 4, 2006
I do not recommend this book to anyone who is interested in serious literature.

This short story is badly written. Aside from humor it really offers no valuable insight on life or anything of a serious nature. The descriptions are badly written. Some parts of book seemed strained and unfinished.Aside from the content of the book, the layout leaves much to be desired as does the title. Some chapters are only two pages long and in between chapters are pages upon pages of nothing.

I was suprised that this wasn't self-published from the appearance of it. But then I learned that the only reason she was able to obtain a contract was that she was already affliated with Ait via some friends she had.

I recommend this book to younger girls who like reading such series as the Baby Sitters Club but not to anyone looking for something meatier and with more value.

So to sum it up do not spend money on this book, you'll be wishing you didn't.

$9.95