Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 111 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on April 7, 1998
The Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing is about a boy who has some hectic times with his brother. The setting was like any old ordinary town. The main character was Peter, an ordinary fourth grader. I really like Peter's brother Fudge. My favorite part is when Fudge eats a turtle. It's really funny. The thing that I think Peter learned was patience. I liked Peter the main character because he is an ordinary fourth grader like me. I would recommed this book to a friend to explain why your litte brother or sister do the things theydo.If you like this book you may also enjoy some other books by Judy Blume such as Fudge-A-Maina.
on April 7, 2014
I never read the Judy Bloom books. I recently read, "Are you there God? It's me Margaret" and really enjoyed it. So, I bought a whole bunch of them for my Kindle for fast, light, enjoyable reading in between long novels.
on June 30, 2014
It was funny, and also sort of sad. It's kind of unfair that Fudge gets all the attention. Peter is a good sport. And it's kind of weird because the little brother, Fudge, eats flowers and swallows a bunch of stuff.
on March 7, 2002
Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing
The novel, Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume, is a story about a boy named Peter who has to live with his baby brother Fudge who messes up his whole life. Peter goes through a lot of hard times in the novel, were his brother messes' things up or gets more attention and leeway. In the end things sort of work out and Peter doesn't wind up killing Fudge.
There were many interesting characters in the novel but my favorite is Fudge. Fudge has many personalities and is really funny. Although Fudge does some dumb stuff he still winds up making it funny. Also, I like Peter because he always try's to make the bad things good. Also I can relate a lot with how he feels about his brother. I dislike Mr.Yarby, he was Peter's dad's old boss and he was vary rude and disrespectful. The lesson of the story is something Peter had to learn " Just because people don't pay 100% of attention to you it doesn't mean they don't like you." I like the part of the story when Fudge goes to his dad's work and gets chosen for an activity the means a great deal. What I least like is when Mr.Yarby comes into the book. The ending was all right but it could have been better, though it still was interesting. Like how the story just ended practically happily ever after. It just seemed like they should have added more to the end.
Judy Blume's style of writing is really interesting and kept me into the book. Like how she used a lot of dialect and explains the characters well, not too much and not too little. Judy Blume gave just the right amount of details in her novel. The vocabulary in the story is fairly easy. It is kept at a simple level. I like the way the book is written with a lot of feeling the characters felt. This book would appeal to ages 9-13. I would recommend this book to people because it's a real "page-tuning book" and keeps you reading. I would give this book a ****.
on February 8, 2014
I first bought this book for my son, thirty years ago and he really liked it. A few years ago my grandson read the book and, it's not easy to capture his interest, but he did like this book. I just read it for the first time and understand how well it was received. Blume is a genius when it comes to writting for young people. The characters were easily identifiable. The relationships between Peter, Fudge, and the parents were well developed and held my interest. Fudge - what a nudge, in an annoying, pestering, persistent way that is!

I applaud this author and highly recommend this book for anyone, but especially 3rd-5th graders. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
on April 3, 2014
Although I discovered Judy Blume around age 11 I firmly refused to read this series because, well, I was in the fifth grade and couldn't possibly read something that was obviously for someone much younger and less mature. In all actuality, I was discouraged from reading books from our little school library that were beneath my reading level. It was unfortunate because I really missed out on quite a few little gems like this book.

What Worked: Told from Peter's point of view the book reads exactly as I'd imagine a 9 year old would tell these tales. It was pretty easy to empathize with Peter and his frustrations of having a little (yet adorable) sibling who, in Peter's mind, messes everything up. The language is simple and easy to read. I was glad that Peter didn't use words like "misogynist" or "antidisestablishmentarianism". Nothing throws off a book with a child narrator who uses the word antidisestablishmentarianism.

What Didn't Work: Since this book is technically one of tales and not a continuous storyline the stories do not have a set timeline or a feeling of continuity to them. Although this might appeal to a child (which I fully admit that I am a few years beyond this book's demographic) I think older readers might long for an actual storyline with a plot.

In a Nutshell: A truly delightful book that would be excellent for a parent/child read together session. For children ages 7-11 I'd say. Although in a slight warning, younger children might ask questions on what happened to Dribble and if you are not inclined to have a "Circle of Life" discussion you might want to skip this one.
on May 21, 2014
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Judy Blume

Illustrated by Roy Doty

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing takes you to a fantasy.

This story takes place in New York City. The main characters are
Peter Warren Hatcher, the oldest brother. The younger brother is named Fudge.

Every chapter in this book tells a different tale of the two brothers' reactions to different experiences.

One of the stories tells how Peter and Fudge went to Central Park with their mom. Peter saw a girl from his class named Sheila .Mom remembered she left something in the oven and she had to run home to shut off the oven. She asked Peter to be in charge of Fudge, but the girl named Sheila offered to be in charge of Fudge. Fudge being curious saw a bird and wanted to fly like the bird. He climbed on the jungle gym and tried to fly.Peter and Sheila tried to stop him and prevent him from hurting himself. Too late, Fudge did not fly but fell off the jungle gym and lost two front teeth in the process. Sheila started to cry because she could not find his front teeth and was supposed to be in charge and did a poor job.

Another example is when Mr. and Mrs. Juicy O came for a visit and gave Peter a book that he already owned. Fudge realized that Peter already had that book. Fudge brought out Peter's old book and showed it Mr. and Mrs. Juicy O. They were sorry to give him a book he already had so they told him to exchange it for another one. Peter felt so embarrassed.

Another tale of the brothers was when Peter, Fudge and their dad went to the movies. In the middle of the movie Peter noticed that Fudge wasn’t sitting next to him. Peter panicked! He told his dad that Fudge was missing. His dad told him not to panic and stay there untilthey find Fudge. A few minutes later dad came back with security. He told them that Fudge was sitting right there. They stopped the movie to look for Fudge. Suddenly, Fudge jumped up from below the screen. He wanted to know why the movie had stopped.

In my opinion, this book kept my interest and I could not wait to see what Peter and Fudge would do next.

I strongly recommend this book as it was filled with humor.I enjoy these types of books.I recommend this book for kids that have little annoying siblings that bother them.This book is the one for them!
They will understand Peter's problems with Fudge and they will have mercy on him.

By:
Eytan. B from Israel
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 18, 2012
Most books like this one try too hard. The kid hero/heroine's narration is just so insistently clever/cute/adorable that one gets fed up at some point. Ramona, Clementine, Fancy Nancy, Judy Moody - sometimes you just want them to relax.

Well, to me the appeal of the Blume Peter and Fudge books is the fact that Peter is fresh, calm, perceptive, intentionally and unintentionally funny, and not gimmicky.

So, it really does seem that this volume comes awfully close to an essential part of your family kid library, and I would expect it to work with just about any reader, regardless of skill level or genre preferences. And, it's a pretty good read to or read with if you want to start early.
on December 22, 2012
This book is perfect for ages 8-11. I teach 4th graders and used it as a class novel, The kids could really relate to the main character! His brother Fudge is always into trouble and in his things! This book flows nicely!
on May 25, 2010
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing is a fun book for 3rd graders. It is a good way to show you about the life of a 4th grader. Peter is the main character. He has a little brother nicknamed Fudge. His brother loves animals and he is always getting into trouble. My favorite part is when Peter brings home a turtle. If you want to find out what else happens, I strongly recommend that you read the book.