Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: Set of 1|Color: Pie Shield - Red|Change

on February 17, 2012
I have been using foil on the edges of my pie crusts for years and I finally got tired of folding, molding, and re-attaching.
So I put this on my Amazon wish list and got it. Used it on a pecan pie a couple of weeks ago and the crust edges were perfect.
Be advised that the tab on the side of one end, which you slip into the proper slot on the other end for the size dish you have,
does not snap in tightly. This is not a problem, but rather an observation so you know you are not doing anything wrong. It
stays together just fine while baking and is easily separated so you don't mess up your crust.
0Comment| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2011
I was trying to find a pie crust shield that would fit my 10" pies - most of the silicone pie shields only fit 9" pies, or adjust from 8" to 9", but this one easily fits up to 10". I bake a lot of pies during the holiday season, and enjoy not having to remove poorly laid tinfoil partially through baking. The pie shield also cleans easily and can be folded to fit in a smaller drawer. All-in-all, this was exactly what I was looking for.
0Comment| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2013
Having read a number of the comments on the Adjustable Pie Shield, I wanted to offer my own experience with the product -- which has been 100% positive.
1919 comments| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2015
Worked perfectly. I used this on 10" disposable pie tin and not one of my crust edges burned on the three pies I baked. Very easy to use. I will never bake a pie again without using this. (I used the Nordic Ware Lattice Cutter from here on Amazon).
review image
on November 11, 2011
I was so tired of trying to use foil on my pie crusts to prevent burning. I could never get the foil to shape right with out taking several minutes. I bought three-get one free Talisman Design Adjustable Pie Shield. I tried one today and I love it!! It only takes a few seconds to place on pie crust. So easy. My pie turned out perfect. I am enjoying pie baking again.
on March 2, 2012
If you have a larger pie pan then I recommend you order two of these. It is a little on the small size and left a 1 inch gap on the edge of my pie. It has a 9.5in diameter on the largest setting down to a 7.5in dia.
on December 20, 2011
I had no problem with odor or over-browning with these shields. I have the metal kind and they don't fit my pie pans. I love that I can use this on the smaller store bought pie crust tins and on my glass pans. So much better than foil!!!
on December 22, 2012
I have used this twice now, two 10 1/2-inch deep dish pies each time. The shield is not big enough to fit all the way around, so I put a piece of foil in the gap. The first time I followed the instructions to put the shield on before baking and it flattened my beautiful fluting. The second time I put it on after the first 10 minutes. It didn't flatten the fluting that time, but in both instances the crust was burnt more than if I'd just baked it without any cover. I'm returning the four I bought for my sisters for Christmas and will ask if I can return the 2 I bought for myself. This is a terrible sham that seems like it should work, but doesn't. One reason may be that the shield doesn't hang far enough over the edge of the pie pan to completely cover the crust. But it's really hot when you take the pie out of the oven, so I think it just intensifies the heat under it rather than reflecting it as the old-style aluminum ones and foil do. Very disappointing to have Christmas pies with burnt crust.Talisman Designs Adjustable Pie Shield
44 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2015
Like other reviewers here with one star ratings, this pie shield destroyed my pies. I have been baking pies for over 30 yr and have never had one turn out as badly as this. I tried the shield a few times and still got the same results, regardless of the temperature I was baking at. It flattened and shrunk my fluting and burnt the daylights out of the edge. I primarily bake my pies in an electric oven, and make butter pastry crusts on my pies. I don't ever bake frozen pies, this shield may be useful for that, but not in my case with the kind of homemade soft pastry my family loves. My husband loves a bit darker crust, but this was ridiculous! So disappointed in this shield and I can't understand how it works so well for others but created "hell no pies" for me :(
review image
on July 4, 2014
I have very mixed feelings about this pie shield.

Pros: It's very easy to use: easy to put on and easy to take off. Although it does get quite warm during baking, it can be removed during baking (with care) if you choose. It fits nicely on Pyrex-type pie plates up to 10" with ease, with or without handles on the plate. This shield does work best on pies that need to be cooked at a higher temperature first (425 degrees) for a short period, then for the remainder of the cooking time at a lower (350 degrees) temperature. Washing, drying and storage is easy and its performance is superior to the rigid-type metal pie shields.

Cons: This shield does not perform well when used with a larger pie plate, even if you make it fit. I have four Royal China Country Harvest 10 3/4" deep dish pie plates that I normally use for my pies. Although it does fit (but not adequately to lock), it flattens the flute of my crust and appears to allow too much heat to circulate underneath it, often causing the crust to over-brown. This is particularly evident when making pies that must be cooked for shorter times at a constant high (425 degree) temperature: cherry pie, coconut custard, etc., even if I'm using a smaller, Pyrex 9 1/2" plate. Center of pie is nicely done, but crust was way too dark. Aluminum foil is still your best choice when cooking those types of pies. Still, this does perform much better than the rigid metal pie shields, which no matter how large you purchase them, absolutely do not fit those Royal China Country Harvest plates. Although I stated this shield works best with pies that have to be flash-cooked first (like apple, pumpkin), I was still not absolutely pleased with its performance vs. using aluminum foil.

For the price, I will use this shield -- but only occasionally. I bake pies (making my own crust) frequently. I was very disappointed that this didn't perform better than it did. For the kind of pie-baking that I do, it will most likely be used only 20 percent of the time that I bake, which says a lot for its mediocre capabilities.