Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tall-Ette Extra Wide Elevated Toilet Seat with Legs
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Extra Wide with Legs|Change

on June 24, 2010
While I looked all over town and the internet for a toilet riser that would work in my mother's new assisted living apartment, she fell off the riser she was using temporarily. The toilet at her facility is bigger than any elongated riser I could find, but the legs on the Invacare Toilet Seat with Arms sit firmly on the floor and provide great stability. The arms make it easy for her to stand up and ease herself down. I wish the rest of her world were as safe for her as this seat is!
on March 7, 2011
I just rec'd this and attempted installation. This definitely was not made to fit my Kohler Cimmaron elevated toilet. This must be designed for older model toilets that are of normal height only. First, my toilet does not have an opening between the seat and the toilet bowl -- there is a plastic plate there -- so the bracket for installation cannot slip in between the toilet seat and the bowl. So, we had to remove the bracket (against the recommendation of the installation instructions). Then, as MANY reviews on the internet state...the legs wobble and do not sit flush on the floor -- especially if you are trying to install it on an ADA height toilet (16 inches or greater). So, we removed one of the padded cushions on each arm which allowed the legs to be extended to the floor -- it barely sits on the floor now. There is quite a bit of the seat that fits into the toilet bowl, so it should not come up when rising off the seat to get up after use. BUT, my elderly, overweight mother has not used it yet, so we will see. BUYER BEWARE: this will NOT fit an elevated toilet and do your research on the internet before purchase -- the internet reviews are not as good as the ones on Amazon. Also, the width between the hand rails is 19 3/4 inches -- so if the person is wider than that, it will be too small. THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE RETURNED, so please make sure it will work for you before purchasing!!
22 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2013
There are many products available that raise the height of the toilet seat but few that provide stability for a patient with a balance disorder. The patient's safety was of paramount concern and this product provided both height and stability. Installation is easy. Removal is so easy and sanitary that it does not require a bathroom dedicated to the sole use of the patient. Reviewers of similar products frequently note cleaning is difficult. The product very easy to clean and maintain. As for fit, the bathroom closest to the patient is a small half-bath and the toilet is very close to a cabinet. My concern the riser might not fit proved unfounded - even after the toilet was replaced with a larger unit. Others using this or any of the risers in tight quarters may need to move the toilet paper holder from the current location. I opted for a quick fix, an over the cabinet door holder.
on May 24, 2008
Comes in two hand railing widths: for a medium sized person, and a larger person, and priced accordingly. This review for the medium size. User 5' 10," 170 lbs. Worth the extra cost compared to lesser costing ones. A 5 yr. old could assemble and install in a few minutes. No screws or bolts. Do not have to remove existing toilet seat or cover. Only 4 pieces to fit together. When assembled, simply set in place. Once in place - it is unmovable solid. Obviously that is important. Seat shape design is totally comfortable. Normal shipping via UPS from New Jersy.
We ordered this for after my husband's spine surgery. He was very unsteady on his feet, and couldn't get up and down from a chair without help, so this was a very necessary purchase.

The toilet seat was simple to put together. I did slip off one of the blue pads from each arm (there are 2 on each side) so the feet would reach the floor more easily. I'm keeping the extra pads for future use, if needed. Our toilets are round bowl 15" high, so with this product on top, our toilet seat is now 19", which is much easier to get on and off of, especially if you're tall like we are.

The toilet seat is easy to clean (just wipe it down), and disconnect and transport (I move it from the bedroom bath to the central bathroom twice daily). The locking bracket in the back keeps it secure when sitting or getting on or off, but slips easily out when you need to move the seat off the toilet.

Compared to the elevated toilet seat my elderly mother uses, which does not have legs that reach the floor, this is far better for stability. There is no worry of tipping off to one side, and you can use just one hand to get on and off instead of two -- that's how stable it is!

Although purchased for my husband, I have tried it a few times and found it to be very comfortable. My husband agrees:
he said, "Even when I'm recovered, let's keep using it."

I highly recommend this raised toilet seat. I think it is the best on the market, and it sure is a lot less expensive than buying and installing a new higher toilet.
on October 25, 2010
My 77 year old father lives with me and he recently had a hip replacement. This elevated toilet seat worked perfect for my dad after his surgery. My dad is 6ft and 220lbs so I was concern it would be to tight, but, it is wide and my father fits comfortably on the seat. The legs on the seat are not that long; the height is perfect on a 15" round seat toilet. However, I have another toilet that is 17" and has a oval seat and the legs do not go to the floor, which can make the seat a little shaky. But it still gets the job done. I feel more comfortable trusting him in the bathroom by himself with the elevated seat with the hand bars there.
on May 23, 2015
Provides stability and confidence. Design prevents falls; has stability features in addition to having legs (details below).

Used by a 94-year-old lady daily (about a month now); she leans more heavily on one arm than the other because of a VEry weak knee (injured in an industrial accident and had surgery 50 years ago). This seat has No slippage, No shifting.

Lightweight unit moves as one piece. Replaces any other toilet riser. Can use over the regular toilet seat or instead of that seat. Extends over and beyond the left and right sides of the toilet. (Person wearing back brace could lift and move it with no difficulty; had to lift/hold it to put it in place because it will not "slide" on the floor to be put into place because of the excellent resistance slippage.)

Designed for elongated (i.e. oval-shaped) toilet, but manufacturers make different toilet heights, widths, and lengths (from front to back to the water tank), so you must adjust or customize it.
--to lower seat height: push the plastic seat evenly downward on the legs
--to raise seat height: cut the foam (seems to be about an inch thick) on the front and back of both the left-side and right-side arms. We did not get them all evenly cut and the metal shows between the seat and foam on one, but the foam has not shifted once after daily usage (and by several people) over the last month.
--to move the seat forward (away from the water tank), just move the entire device forward as needed.
--to move the seat backward (toward the water tank), cut the flat plastic piece as needed. Use heavy-duty cutters. The very hard plastic shaped like a tab with rounded corners is thin enough to cut without a professional. The flat area looks like 1/8" thick and a little edge lip. It sticking out like a beaver's tail at the back of the seat and slides under the water tank while laying flat on the porcelain. This piece is part of the stability design. Do NOT Remove it.

Weeks after installing it, she still raves about it. (All unsolicited accolades.)

Manufacture:
--Heavy duty plastic one-piece seat that goes over the left and right sides of the toilet. Textured, but easy to clean.
--Firm foam completely covers each arm's tube; foam is covered by a smooth, blue, plastic-type painted seal that is easy to clean and grip. My petite arthritic hands did not squeeze it much, but a 6'4" man with large hands and long fingers squeezed it deeply. We both felt a solid grip, and neither had any hand slippage or shift when sitting down or standing up. (My sensitive hands did not hurt from pressure leaning on the inner metal tube.)
--Loadbearing design uses entire weight to push the seat firmly downward, which is why you can put lean more weight on one arm than the other and still have reliable balance.**

Design: each side (left and right) uses a Very strong one-piece aluminum tube to create the leg and arm. Back-to-front description: up through the seat; forms the back, top, and front of an arm; then back down through the seat to the floor in the front. Engineering design has multiple stability features In addition to having legs.

**Typically, seats with arms and no legs curve the arm pieces inside the seat to point left/right, which can move the unit left/right with the weight, potentially causing falls. A couple of units with leg pieces that are separate from arm pieces are vulnerable to shifting from slight misalignments between the top/arm and bottom/leg-foot, potentially causing falls. Only a couple of units with legs had that less stable design, which had each arm piece separate from the leg piece.
on January 14, 2013
I researched all sorts of elevated toilet seats and became primarily concerned with stability since reviewers of the elevated seats without legs mentioned how careful you had to be, i.e., if you shifted your weight they could slide off the toilet seat. The thing I kept hearing from medical staff about post surgery was "don't fall." I could just picture myself on an unstable toilet seat, 40 staples in my leg, being dumped onto the tile floor. I figured that this toilet seat with its own legs would be the sturdiest and I've been very pleased with the decision. I'm using it with a basic, 25 yr old Standard toilet with not much space between the bathtub and toilet on one side and the toilet paper roll/cabinet on the other but this Ableware extra-wide tall-ette fits just fine. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks and it's a lifesaver. I'm 225 lbs and 5'5". I back the walker up to the toilet, switch my grip from the walker to the padded toilet seat handles, move the bad leg forward, and can then easily sit on the toilet and get back up w no problem.
on August 14, 2011
My relative has an elongated, higher than average toilet. The description states it fits an elongated toilet. What I found that means, is that it will fit on a elongated toilet, but what it doesn't state is that it is shorter than the elongated toilet.

Seat does not cover the entire elongated toilet bowl. It fits a round bowl/short bowl, but does not (to repeat) cover the entire elongated toilet bowl.

However, it does fit the bowl okay. You can still use it on an elongated toilet, it just won't cover entire bowl. Which is better than being too large for bowl. It is easy to put together. Easy to put on and take off toilet at any time, so someone not needing the seat, can easily remove and then replace. You just slide the back piece under the toilet seat. Toilet seat always remains up when riser seat is in place. NO tools needed to put this together!

As for using on a higher than normal toilet bowl, it still works fine. Looking at the toilet, the legs of the riser seat do not reach the floor. However, when leaning on the handles to rise from the toilet seat, it pushes the feet to the floor, so we have found that there really is no need to remove one of the blue foam portions, unless you wish the seat to always be planted firmly on ground.

If the legs do not entirely reach the floor, press down on the seat bars and if the legs then reach the floor, it is plenty sturdy. Have someone who is not in need of the seat try it out and see, before having the one in need use it. There is your test.

Our one complaint is this: There is a small indent in front of seat, but for some people, it would be more helpful to have a total front cutout. This would help avoid accidents.
on November 6, 2011
My husband came home from the hospital two days after knee replacement surgery. He was able to walk with a walker, and the pain was tolerable. THEN...he had to go to the bathroom. It hurt him SO BADLY to sit down that it took him 30 minutes to muster the strength to stand up. I immediately ran to my computer and started researching elevated toilet seats. Ray is a large man so he had some specific requests. He wanted something that had side handles and preferred handles that had legs down to the ground. He NEEDED an extra wide space in which to sit. This Tall-Ette seat was just the key. He had installed a 2" taller toilet just 4 months earlier...so, we did have to place some pieces of wood underneath the legs on the floor to ensure stability since they did not quite reach the ground without them. The actual opening could be a little bit larger for him as he still has difficulty urinating with this seat while sitting, but this has been a lifesaver for him. He's now 5 weeks past surgery--but will be having the OTHER knee replaced in another 4 weeks...so, we will be using this seat for another two to three months at least. Finally, I must add that being an Amazon Prime customer is FANTASTIC. I could not find this seat (or anything comparable) in any stores locally, and I only had to pay $3.99 for NEXT DAY shipping with Amazon Prime. I ordered it at 3 pm (pacific time) on Wednesday....and we had it before noon on Thursday. THANK YOU AMAZON!!