Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on December 26, 2012
My wife and I listened to the audiobook format of this novella while driving home from visiting family Christmas night. Before I get into the book itself, I would like to say that I enjoyed Stephen Lang's reading of the story and would be interested in hearing more of his audiobook work.

One of the traits I enjoy about Stephen King's writing is that he writes very compelling characters. They're very much human beings, some good, some bad, all with their faults and personality quirks from how their lives have treated them. The characters of Becky and Cal DeMuth are no exception. I found myself liking them as people before they even reached the field of tall grass where most of the story takes place. They are also, not surprisingly, both New Englanders. This isn't a bad thing at all. In fact, I find it a little amusing.

Another trait of King's is how he can build a sense of impending dread throughout his stories. As Becky and Cal discover more and more about the tall grass and the supernatural/otherworldly power which controls it and whoever enters the field, I as a reader/listener found myself feeling despair for the brother and sister protagonists as it became more and more clear that the ending of this story was not going to be happy one. This is a third trait of King's: He is not afraid to go down that dark road which we "Constant Readers" both fear to travel yet can't resist when King is our guide. We know there's a good chance we'll get our hearts broken, if not scared out of our chest, but that's part of the fun and the thrill.

One thing I could not tell from my initial listen of this story is how much of it came from Stephen King's mind and how much from Joe Hill's. They are a father/son combination, so the overlap may be pretty seamless as a result, but I think a larger part of this is because I'm not familiar enough with Hill's writing and style to recognize it. My wife had a couple ideas of where Hill's ideas came forward but I don't want to go into detail since that would spoil some of the story. I think I will need to check out more of Joe Hill's work before coming back to this story and see if I have a better understanding of what is from the father and what is from the son.

Overall, I gave this story four out of five stars, mainly because of what I stated in the previous paragraph. I may revise my rating once I am more familiar with Joe Hill's style, but my enjoyment of the story was very high and I definitely recommend it for anybody who enjoys Stephen King or the horror genre in general.
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
Okay? I bought the book October 9th, the release date, I could not wait. I read a couple reviews that said the book was terrible. I totally disagree.
The book was great. I think Mr. Hill did most of the writing in the story just by the feel of the read. Also people were saying how gross and disgusting it was, I didn't personally think that, i've read worse. Mr. King and Mr. Hill great job.
I did though get confused by the point of view changes but I thought that was a very nice mind-confuser.
There was a thing (there was a thing)
Inside a field (inside a field)
The prettiest thing (the prettiest thing)
That you ever did see (that you ever did see)

The thing in the field
And the folk on the ground
And the green grass grows all around, all around
The green grass grows all around

Stephen King at his very best.

This creepy short story takes place in and around an abandoned rest stop. The main characters are think-alike siblings on their way across the country, who stop to render assistance to a cry for help emanating from a field of tall grass.

What happens next is vintage, edge-of-seat, can't put it down King horror genius.

Highly recommended.

Amanda Richards, October 9, 2012
on October 10, 2012
I liked this story very much. As I read, I heard a few echoes from King the Elder's past: "The Lawnmower Man" and "Children of the Corn" in particular. Throw in a dose of H.P. Lovecraft and the novel The Ruins and you'll have this story's DNA sequence. With that said...a tense, gory, and original story. Well worth reading. King(s) is at his best when he's writing short stories. His son Joe is no slouch, either. Very enjoyable stuff.
"In the Tall Grass" was different than other King or Hill stories I've read. Character development, which I look forward to in their horror stories, was almost non-existent.

Yes, the story was a little creepy, in a corn maze Halloweenish sort of way and there was some blood and guts thrown in but this story is not one of King's or Hill's best. I'm glad I read it just so I can say I did but I won't reread it.

What I REALLY enjoyed were the excerpts from both authors upcoming books. Doctor Sleep is the long-awaited sequel to Stephen King's The Shining and just the teaser sounds great. I can hardly wait until it's released in September 2013.

The excerpt from Joe Hill's new book NOS4A2: A Novel sounds like my kind of book, serial killers and all.
on August 13, 2012
a good story you can read now for free in Esquire magazine July and August issues. find them online or at your local library. even if your library doesn't subscribe to Esquire you can ask them to get it from another library through inter-library loan.
1111 comments|170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2013
I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read. A brother and sister are traveling by car on their way to their Aunt and Uncles. On a back road, or taking the scenic route as my husband would say; they hear someone calling for help. The story unfolds and you may think twice about helping someone in the tall grass.
on October 25, 2012
I'm a huge King fan from the very beginning. I own every single one of his books and have read many of them multiple times. I've read The Stand over 30 times. I just hated this one. It was incredibly dark and sick. What I love about his books is the way he depicts the battle against good and evil. There are always characters you can root for and identify with. This one had no one to root for. It pains me to say I really really hated this one.
on May 30, 2013
I love Stephen King, but this leaves much to be desired. A story about a brother & sister parking their car and walking into some mysterious tall grass which doesn't really do anything but confuse them. We also have a strange black rock that makes people in the grass eat each other if they touch the rock. Off to the side is an old church which is named for the rock, as well as an old bowling alley which has nothing to do with anything. The end supposedly contains a twist. By that point, I could have cared less.
King has an unique knack of breathing life into his characters in full length novels. Short stories don't give him time to do that. I've read other stories in collaboration with Joe Hill. Nothing, though, this bad. Save your money.
There appears no reason for this story to have been written.
on March 27, 2013
In the Tall Grass is engaging, but not one of King's best. The shifting landscape tends to make this tale a bit nerve wracking, but it's probably just me. Still, satisfying King and I'll read anything by this very favorite author.